Carrick/McKenna upgrade?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Imagine an additional for defensive coach who knows how to coach players defending set pieces and crosses. We might see less conceded goals in set pieces and crosses result in more winning games. It’s not pointless making the change.
Good point about the set peices, acually. I created a thread complaing about our poor defensive record on set peices, but when i created this one it was more about the attacking side. But yeah, our set peice coaching appears to be lacking, also.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I made it pretty clear in my OP, which you responded to, that you either change the whole coaching staff or change mindset from a negative mindset to a positive one. This team can't consistently play offensively structured football so it might be for the best to bring in a Head Coach who can.
Oh very clear that none understand you, even people who replied to you like bastian said this:
If we were to bring in some best in class coaches it would dramatically impact the team. Could you seriously imagine Ole having some outstanding coaches of much higher pedigree than himself and ignoring their potential to improve his side and his results?.......?
You might want to take that quote specifically into account. When you want to make change, you need to do it step by step to see the impact on the manager’s methodology or the player. Do it everything in one go like that, we might should just sack the manager.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Outcoached by Pep Guardiola, Bielsa and etc.
Didn't stop them winning Champions League and multiple league titles at United, though did it? Were Queiroz and McClaren the best in the business when Fergie hired them?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Oh very clear that none understand you, even people who replied to you like bastian said this:

You might want to take that quote specifically into account. When you want to make change, you need to do it step by step to see the impact on the manager’s methodology or the player. Do it everything in one go like that, we might should just sack the manager.
What part of 'Head Coach' don't you understand?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was thinking something similar myself. If we do move Ole on it would be a real shame to lose his obvious man management skills. All those comebacks show players who would run through walls for him. A rare quality. What if we somehow unearthed Ole’s Carlos Queroz? A proper nerdy coach and tactician who could look after all the details (like fecking telling Bruno we should take the first penalty!) while Ole looks after the players mentality.
Yeah, that would be ideal. Whatever you think of Ole, he clearly excels at the man management side of the game (or appears to, anyway) but is lacking somewhat in other areas. It is said he leaves a lot to his coaching staff, hence why i though the question was pertinent. They seem to go under the radar a little.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we were to bring in some best in class coaches it would dramatically impact the team. Could you seriously imagine Ole having some outstanding coaches of much higher pedigree than himself and ignoring their potential to improve his side and his results? The question for me in that scenario, is whether Ole would feel comfortable/pressured having that kind of a setup where it's not people he knows already, and mainly younger and less experienced.

Seems pretty obvious that we need to address the coaching setup, and I'm not thereby saying Carrick or McKenna need to go, not at all. I'd keep them on, but add some bona fide top coaches, addressing our set pieces (especially defensive set pieces, and throw-ins), our tempo and ability in the final third, and really challenging our players. And, where needed, challenging Ole's ideas because he would benefit from it. SAF kept learning and challenged himself by freshening up his coaching staff.
When I mean, when I say 'remove the whole coaching setup', I'm also talking of removing Ole, mate.

galwayfa

Yeah, that would be ideal. Whatever you think of Ole, he clearly excels at the man management side of the game (or appears to, anyway) but is lacking somewhat in other areas. It is said he leaves a lot to his coaching staff, hence why i though the question was pertinent. They seem to go under the radar a little.
It be ideal but as a pundit it would be very rare, you would be better finding a coaching team that works than find a gem in one that doesn't work, obviously fergie had his team and successful one, but to get right guy, like a lottery imo

Godfather

Was thinking something similar myself. If we do move Ole on it would be a real shame to lose his obvious man management skills. All those comebacks show players who would run through walls for him. A rare quality. What if we somehow unearthed Ole’s Carlos Queroz? A proper nerdy coach and tactician who could look after all the details (like fecking telling Bruno we should take the first penalty!) while Ole looks after the players mentality.
Not a bad idea actually. We certainly need an upgrade on that front .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When I mean, when I say 'remove the whole coaching setup', I'm also talking of removing Ole, mate.
Sure mate. What I was getting at was you would see the benefits even if you don't think Ole is good enough. He'd not step in the way of it, I don't think. So the club could hold off on making that decision (which it definitely will) and still raise the level of the coaching setup significantly. There's nothing to lose by doing that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sure mate. What I was getting at was you would see the benefits even if you don't think Ole is good enough. He'd not step in the way of it, I don't think. So the club could hold off on making that decision (which it definitely will) and still raise the level of the coaching setup significantly. There's nothing to lose by doing that.
I'm all for any positive change. I just want to see good football again consistently.

Andersonson

Talking about McKenna and Carrick is a Redcafe posters way of clutching at straws, you have no idea what they do and how well they do it. All we know is Ole and Mourinho rate them both.

All we can do is criticise the Glazers or Ole from our position.
This

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@Bastian is a poster who's respectful and enhances the discourse on the forum, hence me being clear and not calling him a numpty.
And you treat others differently because you have some personal issue that I don’t even know.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@Bastian is a poster who's respectful and enhances the discourse on the forum, hence me being clear and not calling him a numpty.
Haha. I'm not getting involved. But where is the blush emoji when you need it?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I've never heard anyone say anything positive about Carrick's coaching abilities, other than that "he can still play, you know?"

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't have anything personal against you. I hope we can have more fruitful discussions in the future.
Come on mate, spill the beans! I can take it! It’s just not normal to be so emotional and disrespectful to a certain poster for no reason.

Stacks

I think from top to bottom we aren't run like an elite club. I question our scouting department, coaches are bollocks clearly too. We don't have elite guys, just sentiment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Come on mate, spill the beans! I can take it! It’s just not normal to be so emotional and disrespectful to a certain poster for no reason.
I called you a numpty, which is hardly being disrespectful. I apologise if you think I was being disrespectful.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I called you a numpty, which is hardly being disrespectful. I apologise if you think I was being disrespectful.
I understand, some people just need more education especially learn some manner.

Someone

Something
Always hard to tell because we don't have visibility on what happens behind the scenes, but the whole set up lacks experience big time, with all due respect to Philan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
IMO the weirdest thing on any football forum is when people pick out some behind the scenes guy and say "they are shit" or "what do they bring" or "replace them". Literally none of us have a single clue. None of us know if someone is doing good stuff with whatever they are assigned (none of us know what their real role or responsibility is, how much say they have in what, and what impact they're having). It's one thing to say we need to improve how we defend set pieces, that's painfully obvious. Who's in charge of that right now? We have no idea. Same with transfer negotiations. You see criticisms of Matt Judge. We literally don't know anything regarding if he does good stuff or bad stuff. Same with seeing people recommend someone to be the director of football, or wanting Van der Sar to be the chief executive. There is so much shit in those positions that we don't have the slightest idea on if they would be suited for it or not.

Ultimately what can be criticized are the players as we see them play, the manager as they are ultimately responsible for having the right staff around them and getting the players to do what you envision, and then in terms of management above the manager, you could say someone like Woodward and the owners as they are the main positions at the top, and if there is a repeated history of failures, then the problems run higher.

Foxbatt

Woodward is rightly criticized because he is the CEO or whoever in charge of the club. He hires and fires. Ole himself has said that he does not do the coaching. Time and again in every match we see players being selfish or defenders not defending properly. Yet nothing seems to rectified in these cases or players getting dropped apart from DVB. So if Ole is not coaching then it is rightly assumed the two coaches are coaching hence why they are criticised.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If ultimately the decision to bring subs, use a formation and instruct a player comes down to Ole, you could change them with whoever and it wont make any difference. Unless if the coaches and Ole have the same idea on how the game should be played or if the manager is very open and brave enough to make changes. McKenna is a very attacking coach based on what I read when he first joined yet we played so many defensive games relying on counter. It's not McKenna who decided that I'm sure, Ole wanted it and McKenna could only adapt to the circumstance which means he couldn't force Ole to go all out gun blazing. Carrick was an ex midfielder and I'm sure it's painful to him that we rarely control the midfield but if Ole wanted to play counter attacking football and said 'feck possession', Carrick couldn't really change anything. When you have a boss it's hard to override your boss. That's the point.

Coaching is coaching. What happens in the actual game is different. If you coach the players to maintain possession but the actual game plan during live match is to play on the break then that coaching is pointless. It's not used. That's why David Moyes brought his own staffs whilst he was managing Utd. He might be a shite manager but at least the coaches are also shite and in tunes with him.

Last edited:

Denis79

We really need a proper tactician in the coaching staff. Someone who can see what's going on and try to make an impact in games.

stevoc

Both need either sending on a coaching course or better still replacing with people more competent and experienced
If only UEFA ran coaching courses that taught aspiring coaches all about the intricacies of football coaching. Maybe when completed they would issue a licence to a newly qualified coach depending on what level they have achieved. They could call them A, B and Pro licences perhaps?

Yeah if only UEFA ran such a course and Carrick and McKenna had already completed them and both gained their A, B and Pro licences 2-3 years ago.

croadyman

If only UEFA ran coaching courses that taught aspiring coaches all about the intricacies of football coaching. Maybe when completed they would issue a licence to a newly qualified coach depending on what level they have achieved. They could call them A, B and Pro licences perhaps?

Yeah if only UEFA ran such a course and Carrick and McKenna had already completed them and both gained their A, B and Pro licences 2-3 years ago.
Clearly they weren't listening

croadyman

Genuinely interested what aspects of the courses do you think they didn't listen to?
Well set pieces looking at how many times we have been caught out this season and how to deal with a low block

stevoc