Carrick/McKenna upgrade?

SAFMUTD

Well Solskjaer letting the first team coaches, coach the first team is not exactly the same thing as Solskjaer saying he's ''not a tactical coach''.
I agree, correct me if I'm wrong but how it's done in most cases is the manager work out the general tactic they want to develop and coaches work on specifics to implement that plan am I correct?

But Ole made it sound as if he had no input at all, which is kind of strange.

SAFMUTD

Well it is about Ole, they are his choices. The coaching clearly is a 3 way thing.
I’m not sure it’s about their quality per se. What’s Phelan there for, a conduit between Ole and the players?
It was reported a while back that they are faster in training but at times they are pedestrian in games. It’s too easy to blame the coaches
Well they can be prime Barca in training but if they don't show it in games what's the use? Of course they'll be judged according to what the team shows on games.

Diabovermelho

Just bring a world class CB won't magically improve our defence. We need to stop making mistakes from set pieces, and stop relying so much on individual brilliance to break teams down. This is on coaching. Not just Ole, but his coaching staff.

An upgrade is required.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah I agree with you, what I got from that "leader" type of manager is that he's a man management coach, which is a nice attribute to have but I think it was strange for him to said that. Most coaches like to be recognized more from their tactics rather than their man management skills basically because tactics impact the game directly while man management is kind of a PR job to keep players happy implying that the players by themselves are the ones to get the titles which would take merit from the coach.

Anyway I wouldn't mind him being a leader manager or whatever if we had capable people taking care of the tactical side, but we don't. I mean there are some clearly specific problems with the team that are not being corrected. The most obvious is set pieces, that's clearly a coaching problem and no man management is going to solve that. Someone should be held accountable for it, weather that's Ole, McKenna, Carrick, Phelan or all of them who knows.
Yeah, if he was an inspirational leader, I'd not have any problem with him being a leader-type manager. I've yet to see that though.

His man management skills are massively praised on here, and he's definitely changed the atmosphere for the better, but you're on borrowed time while you're not winning things. A while without winning things won't have players buzzing about your man management. And you could ask, what's that ability for, to keep a team content, or to get the best out of a team? It's not always the same thing.

He's obviously modelling himself on SAF who was the leader. But SAF had so many strings to his bow, not least the ability to identify where he could improve and/or delegate.

I think it would be healthy for Ole - most definitely for the team - to have top pedigree coaches in here who may challenge his and the other coaches' ideas.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's easy to pin everything on coaches, but if you've got a manager who has dozens of times moaned about our set piece defending, surely there's a problem. And there's obviously a problem breaking down organised deep defenses. That's not merely a lack-of-world-class-players problem, it's a coaching issue (for which the manager is responsible).

But this thing about training. We hear that a bit, how amazing we are in training. Now we can take that a face value and assume that it's a problem with mentality, but are we really this special in training and what value does that have to trot out that line? I mean, unless it's to support a hapless striker on a longer barren run, saying that he's banging them in in training, I don't see how being this or that in training has any meaning. We've got a big sample size of how we are in actual matches. And it indicates that we are bereft of ideas too often, our tempo is too low, we struggle to defend set pieces, and we don't have too much of a tactical flexibility, never mind in terms of lineup.

That seems to me to be mostly a coaching issue.
I’m not convinced they told Victor to let his man go so easily. Sure that’s not in the training sessions.
If anything it’s sports psychology they should be focusing on

SAFMUTD

Yeah, if he was an inspirational leader, I'd not have any problem with him being a leader-type manager. I've yet to see that though.

His man management skills are massively praised on here, and he's definitely changed the atmosphere for the better, but you're on borrowed time while you're not winning things. A while without winning things won't have players buzzing about your man management. And you could ask, what's that ability for, to keep a team content, or to get the best out of a team? It's not always the same thing.

He's obviously modelling himself on SAF who was the leader. But SAF had so many strings to his bow, not least the ability to identify where he could improve and/or delegate.

I think it would be healthy for Ole - most definitely for the team - to have top pedigree coaches in here who may challenge his and the other coaches' ideas.
I agree, what the use of having a happy squad if the results are mediocre? I mean Zidane gets praised for the same thing but the difference is that he won titles.

I think his man management has been overblown because the base ground is taken from Mourinho's lowest point we're the team was as toxic as it can get. But that's not a normal situation, for all we know Arteta has a happy squad as well. They're shit but happy.

Guapa

This thread is about right.Ole is a good (man)manager but not the best coach in class.We need an upgrade on these two.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I’m not convinced they told Victor to let his man go so easily. Sure that’s not in the training sessions.
If anything it’s sports psychology they should be focusing on
I don't know. If it happens time and again, and the manager complains about it after the fact, isn't it something that needs addressing by the coaches? It is the manager who picks the team, also the players who go missing during set pieces. Plenty of lesser teams manage to be more solid during set pieces. And it's not just Victor, Harry has shut off, AWB has seriously lapsed in his concentration/positioning, in key games too.

A strong mentality also comes from strong leadership.

I agree, what the use of having a happy squad if the results are mediocre? I mean Zidane gets praised for the same thing but the difference is that he won titles.

I think his man management has been overblown because the base ground is taken from Mourinho's lowest point we're the team was as toxic as it can get. But that's not a normal situation, for all we know Arteta has a happy squad as well. They're shit but happy.
Yeah, it seems to be a point that goes completely missing on the Caf.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You have no idea how competent they are.
I think it's very evident how competent these guys are.
We have one of the most expensive squads in the EPL and most people on this forum complain how poorly coached we are.

I have seen with my own eyes: we play teams who are in the relegation zone. Their players (man for man) are no match for ours, yet when you look at that relegation (cheaply assembled) team, they look like they have a game plan and are well-coached.
Our team is a bunch of talented individuals and when we win, it tends to be through individual brilliance....not by superior coaching or a better game plan.

It's almost as if some of you haven't seen us play or are completely blind to what is happening on the pitch.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This thread is about right.Ole is a good (man)manager but not the best coach in class.We need an upgrade on these two.
Agreed 100%.
It really does depend on whether or not as a team, our aim is to win the title or not.
With Ole, Carrick, Phelan, McKenna - I don't see us getting anywhere near a league title.

Yeah I’ve said in another thread that we should be looking to be improving our coaching list as well as our playing list. Weather that’s replacing somebody or just bringing in a new face or two I don’t know. But a blind man can see we can do with improvements in our set up on and off the field.
I agree completely, but there are some posters on here, who may actually be blind. They can't see what is happening on the pitch, to conclude that our coaching is really letting us down.
To me it is obvious.

stevoc

Yeah I agree with you, what I got from that "leader" type of manager is that he's a man management coach, which is a nice attribute to have but I think it was strange for him to said that. Most coaches like to be recognized more from their tactics rather than their man management skills basically because tactics impact the game directly while man management is kind of a PR job to keep players happy implying that the players by themselves are the ones to get the titles which would take merit from the coach.
So Fergie was just a PR guy?

Anyway I wouldn't mind him being a leader manager or whatever if we had capable people taking care of the tactical side, but we don't. I mean there are some clearly specific problems with the team that are not being corrected. The most obvious is set pieces, that's clearly a coaching problem and no man management is going to solve that. Someone should be held accountable for it, weather that's Ole, McKenna, Carrick, Phelan or all of them who knows.
How do you coach Lindelof or Bailly to be better in the air?

Might as well try to coach Fred to be at shooting or coach Maguire to have more pace. All players have physical and technical ceilings that no amount of coaching can improve beyond a certain point. We are poor at defending set pieces because shock horror most of our defenders bar Maguire are poor in the air.

stevoc

I agree, correct me if I'm wrong but how it's done in most cases is the manager work out the general tactic they want to develop and coaches work on specifics to implement that plan am I correct?

But Ole made it sound as if he had no input at all, which is kind of strange.
When and where did he say this though?

Do you have a link to a quote or video where he says that?

SAFMUTD

Fergie was much more than just a man management coach, to think otherwise is plain wrong and not even worth discussing.

Might as well try to coach Fred to be at shooting or coach Maguire to have more pace. All players have physical and technical ceilings that no amount of coaching can improve beyond a certain point. We are poor at defending set pieces because shock horror most of our defenders bar Maguire are poor in the air.
Well if it's all the players fault I guess we have the poorest squad to defend on the air in the league. Because that's the way we performed, I mean there are other 19 teams that defend set pieces better than us. Do that makes sense to you?

There's a point when you can't blame it purely on the players, we may not have the greatest defenders but damn to blame just the players when we are the worst team in set pieces in the league is to blind ourselves about coaching.

SAFMUTD

When and where did he say this though?

Do you have a link to a quote or video where he says that?
He didn't say it plainly obviously that's why I said "he makes it sound" as an interpretation.

Cant remember the exact quote but it was discussed deeply in this forum, he was questioned about tactics and he say he was more about a leader coach than a tactic coach. What to take from that? Well it's anybody's guess, I took it as if he said he doesn't put input into coaching, like saying he doesn't take care about that but more about leadership, you can take whatever you want from the quote it's just my personal interpretation about it.

stevoc

He didn't say it plainly obviously that's why I said "he makes it sound" as an interpretation.

Cant remember the exact quote but it was discussed deeply in this forum, he was questioned about tactics and he say he was more about a leader coach than a tactic coach. What to take from that? Well it's anybody's guess, I took it as if he said he doesn't put input into coaching, like saying he doesn't take care about that but more about leadership, you can take whatever you want from the quote it's just my personal interpretation about it.
What do I take from your interpretation of something Solskjaer ''makes it sound'' like he may or may not have said?

I don't take much from it mate to be honest, I'd have to see or hear the actual quote.

Foxbatt

Surely you must have seen SAF on the touchline? He doesn't sit on his seat most of the time, especially if we are playing bad. He lets the players know then and there without any hesitations. I can't see SAF lets Rashford get away with being so selfish in every game by trying to dribble past 4 players. The one match Ronaldo tried it SAF made him cry.

As for Lindelof according to most people, any CB from the PL would be better than him. Ole has been here for two and half seasons now. Get another CB and sell Lindelof.

SAFMUTD

What do I take from your interpretation of something Solskjaer ''makes it sound'' like he may or may not have said?

I don't take much from it mate to be honest, I'd have to see or hear the actual quote.
Im not saying you take anything from my interpretation, that'd be silly. Look for the quote yourself and form your own opinion then we can discuss.

Foxbatt

I do not see anything of SAF in him. Certainly not during the match and nor during his press conference. All past players said that they were very frightened of SAF. I do not think the players are afraid of Ole.

SAFMUTD

Surely you must have seen SAF on the touchline? He doesn't sit on his seat most of the time, especially if we are playing bad. He lets the players know then and there without any hesitations. I can't see SAF lets Rashford get away with being so selfish in every game by trying to dribble past 4 players. The one match Ronaldo tried it SAF made him cry.

As for Lindelof according to most people, any CB from the PL would be better than him. Ole has been here for two and half seasons now. Get another CB and sell Lindelof.
Not just Lindelof but also Bailly and Tuanzebe. They're so awful that even having Maguire, who according to the same posters is one of the best CBs in the league, they manage to be the poorest defense at set pieces in the league.

It's all on the players, not a single thing about coaching apparently.

stevoc

Fergie was much more than just a man management coach, to think otherwise is plain wrong and not even worth discussing.
Good glad we agree, Solskajer still has it all to prove in the management world he's not just a ''PR guy'' either or a ''man management coach'' whatever that is. He's the manager, he picks the team and decides the tactics, formation and strategy.

Well if it's all the players fault I guess we have the poorest squad to defend on the air in the league. Because that's the way we performed, I mean there are other 19 teams that defend set pieces better than us. Do that makes sense to you?

There's a point when you can't blame it purely on the players, we may not have the greatest defenders but damn to blame just the players when we are the worst team in set pieces in the league is to blind ourselves about coaching.
Is that actually true though? Did we concede the most set piece goals in the league?

It's not all the players fault, but Lindelof plays nearly every game. Do you think Lindelof is good/strong in the air? If not what can the coaches do to coach him to be better/stronger in the air?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I do not see anything of SAF in him. Certainly not during the match and nor during his press conference. All past players said that they were very frightened of SAF. I do not think the players are afraid of Ole.
I watched the Fergie documentary Never Give In tonight and Ole is about as far away from SAF as you can get.

Aberdeen had just beaten Rangers in the final and Fergie was fuming during the TV interview that the performance was dreadful. He was spitting feathers after winning! Can you ever imagine Ole showing that level of desire for perfection?

SAFMUTD

The situation is really different, SAF was not only respected and feared but also admired. Players knew they were working with the best.

I remember one interview from Chicharito were he said just being in the locker room with Sir Alex made him feel like he was one of the great players in the world. Meaning that they were proud to be managed by him.

I don't think there's a coach that can make the same effect today bar maybe Pep.

To judge Ole according to that bar is unfair since there is no way he can reach that level.

Regarding Ole I think players respect him and like him but I dont think they admire him. Many players surely feel they have achieved more than Ole himself in their career as a player and certainly as a manager he has nothing to show for. Im not saying they don't like him or don't like being manage by him but I don't think they hold him to any particular special standard. He's just another manager.

SAFMUTD

Good glad we agree, Solskajer still has it all to prove in the management world he's not just a ''PR guy'' either or a ''man management coach'' whatever that is. He's the manager, he picks the team and decides the tactics, formation and strategy.

Is that actually true though? Did we concede the most set piece goals in the league?

It's not all the players fault, but Lindelof plays nearly every game. Do you think Lindelof is good/strong in the air? If not what can the coaches do to coach him to be better/stronger in the air?
It's true, there's a thread in this forum with that stat. We are second worst at defending set pieces and worst overall (combined at defending and scoring).

I don't think Lindelof is particulary good in the air, and he's a defender that gets easily bullied. But set pieces are more about a system than a particular player. I mean is Lindelof the poorest defender in the league? Of course not. Our problems lie more deeply than that.

dogwithabone

Just bring a world class CB won't magically improve our defence. We need to stop making mistakes from set pieces, and stop relying so much on individual brilliance to break teams down. This is on coaching. Not just Ole, but his coaching staff.

An upgrade is required.
It worked at Liverpool. VVD instantly improved them and I’d say that was alongside centre backs not as good as Harry Maguire. It seems a bizarre thing to suggest that a world class player, in any position, won’t improve us.

stevoc

Surely you must have seen SAF on the touchline? He doesn't sit on his seat most of the time, especially if we are playing bad. He lets the players know then and there without any hesitations.
Once or twice over the years mate yeah.

Jesus this thread is bordering on the insane. The amount of time a coach sits in his seat is now an indicator of their ability as a manager. And to think we've another 2-3 months of this shit until the seasons starts again.

I can't see SAF lets Rashford get away with being so selfish in every game by trying to dribble past 4 players. The one match Ronaldo tried it SAF made him cry.
So Ronaldo tried to dribble past 4 players one time (only one time) and Ferguson made him cry?

What? When was this?

He's sold Rojo, Smalling and tried to sell Jones. It's a process a new defender seems to be high on the priority list. If one is signed then Lindelof becomes a back-up.

Foxbatt

In my opinion there are different issues to Lindelof in the air. One is during set pieces and the other one is during open play. The set pieces can be negated by doing a box of zonal and man to man marking. We do zonal marking. If Lindelof has some psychological problems of heading the ball then it should have been sorted out long time ago. The goal we conceded was also from a set piece. I am not sure if they practice heading in training with Maguire vs Lindelof. For sure non of United players apart from Harry and only now Cavani can head the ball that well. Look at how bad Rashford and Greenwood is at heading the ball. It is a coaching problem for sure.
You also notice how now our players head the ball with the top of their head instead of the forehead? Maybe it may be a medical thing?

Foxbatt

Once or twice over the years mate yeah.

Jesus this thread is bordering on the insane. The amount of time a coach sits in his seat is now an indicator of their ability as a manager. And to think we've another 2-3 months of this shit until the seasons starts again.

So Ronaldo tried to dribble past 4 players one time (only one time) and Ferguson made him cry?

What? When was this?

He's sold Rojo, Smalling and tried to sell Jones. It's a process a new defender seems to be high on the priority list. If one is signed then Lindelof becomes a back-up.
Against Benfica in the CL.

stevoc

Im not saying you take anything from my interpretation, that'd be silly. Look for the quote yourself and form your own opinion then we can discuss.
Well to be fair I could Google it if you told me what he actually said in this quote?

Otherwise what am I searching for ''Solskjaer say's he's not a tactical coach''?

SAFMUTD

Well to be fair I could Google it if you told me what he actually said in this quote?

Otherwise what am I searching for ''Solskjaer say's he's not a tactical coach''?
I tried to look for it but couldn't find it, sorry mate can't help you with this one. I remember it being discussed here for a long time, but I can't exactly remember the thread name. If I find it I will send it to you.

Foxbatt

The situation is really different, SAF was not only respected and feared but also admired. Players knew they were working with the best.

I remember one interview from Chicharito were he said just being in the locker room with Sir Alex made him feel like he was one of the great players in the world. Meaning that they were proud to be managed by him.

I don't think there's a coach that can make the same effect today bar maybe Pep.

To judge Ole according to that bar is unfair since there is no way he can reach that level.

Regarding Ole I think players respect him and like him but I dont think they admire him. Many players surely feel they have achieved more than Ole himself in their career as a player and certainly as a manager he has nothing to show for. Im not saying they don't like him or don't like being manage by him but I don't think they hold him to any particular special standard. He's just another manager.
That is when he came to United. The players at Aberdeen says the same thing. Yes it is not fair to judge Ole and SAF. The bar is too high. This is why I feel he is on a losing wicket. Any player who played for SAF at United is going to be compared to SAF. It is much better to get a manager who has not played at United who can bring his own to United and put the memory of SAF out win the current team and stop the comparison.

stevoc

I tried to look for it but couldn't find it, sorry mate can't help you with this one. I remember it being discussed here for a long time, but I can't exactly remember the thread name. If I find it I will send it to you.
Cheers mate I appreciate that, though it may be a bit of a Caf myth. A quote is taken out of context and/or misinterpreted then people start discussing it as fact. Happens all the time on here.

Diabovermelho

It worked at Liverpool. VVD instantly improved them and I’d say that was alongside centre backs not as good as Harry Maguire. It seems a bizarre thing to suggest that a world class player, in any position, won’t improve us.
For us to truly have a world class defence, we need not only the players, but the coaching. Of course Varane or another top CB would improve us, but would make us the best defence in the PL? There are other factors involved.

VVD improved Pool, but perhaps the coaching also did. I don't know about Klopps assistants.

SAFMUTD

That is when he came to United. The players at Aberdeen says the same thing. Yes it is not fair to judge Ole and SAF. The bar is too high. This is why I feel he is on a losing wicket. Any player who played for SAF at United is going to be compared to SAF. It is much better to get a manager who has not played at United who can bring his own to United and put the memory of SAF out win the current team and stop the comparison.
I dont care if they played under SAF or not, I care about them being top managers. I don't think they being players to SAF and assuming they got abilities from it would be like buying a player that trained with Messi and expect him to have adquieres some of his skills.

Abraxas

I think the problem with assessing staff like this is we don't actually know what they have put into place. It's not as if we can see what they do on a daily basis, and even if we did very few here would have the experience or expertise to comment on their ability.

You are assessing their quality based on results and performances on the pitch but actually they are quite a few steps removed from the final outcomes. They should have some bearing of course because training is important, but there is the manager's tactics, instructions, transfers that are always going to have a more direct relationship with the final product. That's why he is largely the person that is assessed, and you can definitively state his responsibility based on this and the fact he appoints and oversees staff.

My opinion is we should always be looking to improve and specialise staff, this is something that works in many sports. Whether it's set pieces, technical play, tactics, there are always going to be people with something to add. It doesn't have to be about criticising the current staff. Someone like McKenna is highly rated from within and has survived managers, he's not done that from making a good cup of tea.

dave1956

Throughout the last season we have continually conceded goals from set pieces or balls to the far post. Now our coaching staff may be highly rated from within and survived managers However, are problems with regard to set pieces and balls into the far post have not been resolved by Ole our the coaching staff, this in my opinion means that they lack the experience or knowledge to adjust to the situation resolve the problems and take us to the next level.
Only Leeds have conceded more goals from set pieces, this to me should sound alarms with Ole that there is some thing wrong with our coaching staff, that they have not identified the problem and not put in place a system / drills to reduce the number of goals we conceded from set pieces.
Do we need an up grade in coaching staff I would say yes.

He'sRaldo

Carrick and Mckenna were coaching under Jose, and the team back then played differently to Ole's team and didn't have as big a problem with set pieces.

In any case, it's hard to point the finger at background staff due to lack of solid info.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
So you're saying we need to get a South American, African or perhaps a Portuguese coach who understands Spanish and Italian football?

And/or an Italian coach who's good at puzzles?
Haha..I guess.
Jokes aside, we need an extra coach of a different football culture from the British game.

redrobed

Obviously, the focus is on the manager (rightly so), but these two have been first-team coaches for over 3 years now (and been around the club longer), and If you dip into the various performance threads on this site, many people (myself included) are basically complaining about the same things now that we were 3/4 years ago. While each manager has had his own style of play, the complaints about our inability to break down a deep-lying/organized defence are the same.

Our slow side-to-side passing, lack of penetration, and lack of imagination have been a constant for years. And while managers have come and gone, these two have remained. But why?

There’s a sense of inertia when it comes to these two. They’re here, but I’m not sure why.

Would you like to see us upgrade on them?
Yeah, definitely - we could keep them around without having them in such important roles which is probably fair on neither them or us. There’s some top, top coaches available at the moment too - the likes of Sarri, Conte, Howe - they’d all likely prefer a top job somewhere but may prioritise the opportunity to be connected with Man Utd over that.