Carrick's First Team

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
Carrick and his team imo have a completely different problem that reaches beyond any formation. They don't know how to teach a team basic structure and attacking moves they can perform, to say it with Rangnick's words, "5 minutes after you wake them at midnight and tell them, they have to play a game."

One of the main reason you see someone like Tuchel have an immediate impact on his teams is because he actually knows how to do that. The only thing our coaching team has proven that even with way more time on their hands compared to other coaches, they are not capable of teaching our team anything.

i just watched Utd's most recent training session and after watching lots of Chelsea training under Tuchel, it was embarrassing. the intensity and variety is on another planet under Tuchel.

OverratedOpinion

DDG

Dalot
Lindelof
Maguire
Telles

Van De Beek
Matic
Fred

Ronaldo
Bruno
Sancho

Bruno as a false 9 because Michael is a shy lad who might think trying something to look clever for the cameras is his best shot to not seem too much of a deer in the headlights. Change the full backs cause they have been crap, Maguire should be dropped but won't be (same probably goes for Shaw).

JB7

How many shots did the teams opposing us have to score those goals? How does it compare with other keepers?

Did everyone forget we shipped 4 goals against Pool at home when we were in better form and they had injuries last season? This all stinks of people pushing their opinion because they can.
Did you forget that we were without Maguire in that game and had Bailey/Lindelof at centre half which is a duo that never, ever fails to create chaos. That was also our third game in five days and the only league game out of the thirteen Henderson played last season that we lost so it's a pretty ridiculous freak result to bring up.

The defending of DDG is absolutely astonishing at this point. He started the season playing well by his standards - albeit still not a type of goalkeeper that suits our defenders or how we want to play - but he hasn't even been playing well of late, he has been back to making basic mistakes week after week and for some bizarre reason people are glossing over it.

Judas

Open to offers
I hope to feck people get behind the team now and people aren't hoping we lose out of the idiotic fear that if Carrick wins a game in charge he'll get the job.

Waynne

-------------------------------- MATIC ---------------------------------------------

----------------- VD.BEEK --------------- BRUNO ----------------------------

------- SANCHO ---------- RONALDO (c)------------- MARTIAL------

For the love of god, please drop Maguire.

Barthez

Would anyone be adverse to Carrick getting the job if he won us the Champions League? - I think we would have to give him it personally

choccy77

Why have United taken Jones and Grant with them, when they can't even play?

Like seriously what is going on.

Jeffthered

Not so long ago, I would never have anticipated myself saying this, but I actually think we should give Jesse Lingard a start. I do. See how it goes.... we have plenty of options if it doesn't work out, and I think he is a far better player for away matches, when we may have to play on the break etc.

Trequarista10

De Gea
Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Dalot ----------- Matic ----------- Telles
Bruno ------ VDB
Sancho
Ronaldo​

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Would anyone be adverse to Carrick getting the job if he won us the Champions League? - I think we would have to give him it personally
I was thinking to myself it would be something if Carrick, the guy we signed back in 06/07 when we'd gone 3 years without the league title was to win us a first major trophy this time around.

I seriously doubt it. Ole might be gone, but I don't really think much has changed. The coaches are still the same. I also don't think there will be any new manager bounce because of that, and because Ole didn't really fall out with any of the players.

Ollie Derbyshire

Think he’ll go with;
………………….…...DDG
AWB….Lindelof…..Maguire….Shaw
…………….VDB……………Fred
Sancho………Bruno…….Martial
………………….Ronaldo

Can’t see too much of a change, Shaw and AWB should be and Maguire but apart from Telles I wouldn’t trust any of the option fit options either.

Expecting a similar type of performance but hopefully the midfield will be better than Matic and McT.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Literally at fault for 3 goals in one game at the weekend but ok.

Cannot believe this fecking mental rhetoric that he's having a good season is continuing.
Agreed 100%, it's a major major issue for me no matter who the manager is. It's bad enough that his passiveness is quite clearly costing us goals and points week after week but the fact that he's being made out to be our saviour makes it even more infuriating.
I can't believe I've been having this same conversation for ten years now and not one of our coaches in that time has called him out on this, we deserve to be where we are.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
i second that but switch sancho and greenwood
That's a hell fecking no for me. I do not want to watch Sancho and Greenwood go yet another entire game without looking up and trying to cross to the best header of the ball in the world. By all means switch over for 5 or 10 minutes here and there but I can't watch that dumbness for another 90 mins.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not so long ago, I would never have anticipated myself saying this, but I actually think we should give Jesse Lingard a start. I do. See how it goes.... we have plenty of options if it doesn't work out, and I think he is a far better player for away matches, when we may have to play on the break etc.
Never thought i'd say this, but I agreed about Lingard. Lingard >>>> Martial at the moment.

Back 4 + Gk pick for themselves.

----------- ROnaldo--

- Lingard -------- Rashford (both can switch)

---Bruno ------------ VdB
-------------McTom---

leeroy221

I would be for the same reason as happened at Chelsea when they won the champs league with Poyet.

JB7

Agreed 100%, it's a major major issue for me no matter who the manager is. It's bad enough that his passiveness is quite clearly costing us goals and points week after week but the fact that he's being made out to be our saviour makes it even more infuriating.
I can't believe I've been having this same conversation for ten years now and not one of our coaches in that time has called him out on this, we deserve to be where we are.
It's crazy. People genuinely seem to believe it's just a coincidence that we've had the exact same defensive issues across several very different managers and god knows how many defenders over the past decade, the vast majority of which are usually more than competent before they sign for us, after they leave us and with their international sides.

Longshanks

In fairness at the end of last season Ole had pretty much demoted De Gea and Henderson was the no1. Henderson getting covid really screwed things up at the start of the season. And de geas 'good form' made him difficult to drop once Henderson was fot again.

He should of been dropped though because a GK being in good form by making save after save is more of a worry than anything else you wouldn't say he was in good form by commanding his area or organising his back line he was literally just making a few good saves because we were so open and disorganised and his lack of command puts us under more pressure than we should be.

One of the many mistakes Ole has made this season that ultimately cost him his job.

SparkedIntoLife

I can see Carrick making a few shock decisions against Villarreal to make a statement early doors that he offers something different to Solskjaer. A couple of quick wins would be to rest Wan-Bissaka and Bruno Fernandes.

AWB has looked a shell of himself for months. I don’t know whether the England snubs or driving misdemeanours have affected him, or maybe all the criticism for his lack of ability going forward. He looks overwhelmed and like he’s kinda retreated. Bruno has been way short of his usual standards since before the end of last season. He offers fight but, when he’s not on form, he can be a liability.

I think Carrick will try to gain control of the midfield. Allegedly, he and McKenna love Fred (Kieran reportedly being the one who urged his signature). Matic, although his legs have basically gone, is a similar player to Carrick. I’ll also guess VDB and Mata to start. Donny was very promising at the weekend in a sea of shite. Mata has barely played but is one of those linking players that I believe Carrick will appreciate, and he’s obviously played alongside him.

The other surprise I’m going for is putting Bailly in against his former club. I just feel Lindelof and Maguire are both defenders that are great when things are going well but are not the best in terms of confidence. With Maguire looking seriously short of confidence, perhaps Bailly’s more abrasive, proactive approach is a better counterbalance than the sometimes timid Lindelof. Clearly, out of the two of them, it’s a much bigger deal to drop Maguire and could be more destructive in terms of press reaction.

My guess for the team -

De Gea
Dalot * Bailly * Maguire * Telles
Matic * Fred
Mata * Van de Beek * Sancho
Ronaldo

Big shout but I think there will be some interesting calls from Michael Carrick. Make no mistake, he wants this job and, while his rhetoric will be soft and not critical of Ole, he’ll want to do all he can to differentiate himself.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
With McTominay and Matic getting the start in the last game I expect Fred to get the start. And if his partner isn't VdB after his 45 minute MOTM performance the other day then Carrick is an idiot. I'd be tempted to start Henderson too (if healthy) but just for some rotation and to give him a game. It might send out the wrong message though. Mind you, De Gea has been shaky lately. I also don't think dropping Maguire will have the right effect on him mentally. He'll be suspended for the EPL game so I'd start him here. I'd also give Dalot a run. I think he's earned it

---------------------------------Henderson--------------------------
Dalot-----------------Bailly-----------------Maguire--------Shaw
-----------------------------VdB---------------Fred---------------------
Sancho------------------------Bruno-----------------------Lingard
------------------------------------Ronaldo-------------------------------

I really want to get Cavani in the line up too but that would mean Bruno on the bench of on the wing.

Daengophile

It'd be great to get Carrick down to the pub, sit him down with a beer and hear him spill the beans.

I would guess, in time, there will be books about this era.

Bring 'em on!

TwoSheds

What do you see in Scott over Fred? at least fred tackles and intercepts. Scott was horrific last game
Well it's a bit of a toss up as I'm not happy with how either have played this year but I thought McTominay showed positional discipline in the game against City (for once), which is something Fred never does. I also can't get my head around the idea of a physically weak, bullyable DM either.

ThinkTank@Cafe

——————-DDG———————-
AWB——Bailly——Lindelof—-Shaw
———————Matic———————
—-vdB————————Bruno———
Sancho——-Ronaldo———-Rashford

1. higher defensive line (drop Maguire)
2. Bruno plays 8, not 10,5 he usually occupies
3. Sancho-vdB-AWB triangle should be developed as a unit (mid term task) similar to Shaw-Rasford-Bruno
4. Matic switch the ball to either flank both of which (hopefully) efficient
5. Ronaldo - free role, do whatever he wants

NoPace

——————-DDG———————-
———————Matic———————
—-vdB————————Bruno———

3. Sancho-vdB-AWB triangle should be developed as a unit (mid term task) similar to Shaw-Rasford-Bruno

I agree with a lot of that. Certainly playing Bruno deeper (though I think on the right not the left) and VDB in a midfield 3 seems like the most logical thing that we haven't tried, since only Bayern play with 4 at the back AND a pure 10 like Bruno most games among every team bigger than Lille (unless I'm missing someone?).

I think I'd switch the wingers and the side Bruno is on. Try to establish a dominant left sided triangle of Shaw-VDB-Sancho with Rashford playing on the right as Sane does now since both are more about pace and shooting than being particularly good at coming inside and linking up.

I'd probably play Fred as a 6. Villareal don't have a target man to drop off and win balls in the air against him and I mean he's in Brazil midfield's and Matic is 65 years old and McTominay just isn't as accomplished a player.

Picking Henderson would be a massive change but if Carrick wants to make one an he's trying to establish that we want a higher line and pass the ball out of the back more.

------------Cristiano--------
Sancho-------------Rashford
---------VDB---Bruno--------
-----------------?-----------------
Shaw-Maguire-Lindelof-AWB/Dalot
--------DeGea/Henderson----

If I was trying to get results and simultaneously make the pitch that Ole was at fault and I could fix the team with only 2 or 3 transfers, that's probably what I'd do, anyways:

1. Argue the midfield is a 6 like Declan Rice away if only we drop Bruno into a proper trio and stop playing what is basically a 4-2-4. Ultimately, we likely either have to play 3 at the back to let Bruno be a #10 or we turn him into the typical half-space right sided type like De Bruyne and other #8s, and the 2nd is far more likely because we have wingers and wing forwards, don't have natural wing backs really and aren't even sure we have a 2nd CB good enough to play alongside Varane, never mind a 3rd, though I do rate Shaw as a left-sided CB.

2. Say Rashford is actually better used on the right side as he's a forward not a winger, and Sancho needs to be the main creative outlet in the front 3 with us mostly building up play on the left and be able to come inside and link up with Van De Beek and Shaw (our best players in tight spaces).

3. Carrick was a DM, if there's some player out there he rates that isn't Declan Rice, if there is, see if you can get him in for January.

4. Since he said he's similar to Ole in tactics and outlook and he's already running training, presumably there won't be some giant tactical and formation reinvention, so I think you'd have to throw De Gea and/or Maguire under the bus. Unless the team immediately starts winning at a feverish rate, I can't imagine he'd get the job permanently without making some huge calls. But if he DOES makes some huge calls like dropping De Gea for Henderson and we get top 4 and get through the group and win a CL round or 2 and say Pochettino and Ten Hag turn the job down, he might have a shot.

Massive calls + Good results + Pinning all the problems on 3 fixable positions spots (defensive midfield obviously, but probably blaming the line issues on De Gea not being a sweeper at all and one of Maguire + Wan-Bissaka)
OR
Small changes + Incredible results

are the only avenues to getting the job permanently I would think, and there's not some obvious tactical/formation thing since Ole has tried 3 and 4 at the back.

NoPace

Well it's a bit of a toss up as I'm not happy with how either have played this year but I thought McTominay showed positional discipline in the game against City (for once), which is something Fred never does. I also can't get my head around the idea of a physically weak, bullyable DM either.
Lots of weak bullyable DMs have done well like Guardiola, Pirlo and Jorginho but obviously those are world class passers of the ball and Fred isn't.

TwoSheds

Lots of weak bullyable DMs have done well like Guardiola, Pirlo and Jorginho but obviously those are world class passers of the ball and Fred isn't.
That and they're not really DMs. Pirlo normally always played next to someone really physical like Gattuso, Vidal, Seedorf, Marchisio etc for example. Not sure Van Der Beek is that guy.

romufc

Im very surprised to see many put Matic in their teams. I don't think he has had 1 good game this season. He has looked slow, lethargic and his passing has been off too.

We cannot play Matic as our DM, no chance.

iHicksy

The team will be near identical. The tactics the same. I don't know why anyone is getting optimistic about this. I'm not being negative on purpose, but it's simply logical.

Carrick has stated tactically he and Ole have the same beliefs. E.g We will play in the exact same "style" trying direct balls which has shown to be ineffective because the coaching of the players is awful. And who's been doing the coaching of the players? Why it's none other than Carrick and Mckenna. Who is currently doing the coaching of the players...well yes. It's the same coaching team. I know people are hopeful that Ole told the coaches they "had" to coach a certain way and implement his vision, but even if this was true. Carrick has stated his tactical vision is near identical.

We're going to have to wait until an interim coach comes in or we get Poch before we see any real change in the way we play football on the pitch. What's more, the players aren't going to have some kind of "new coach bounce" which we saw post Jose. Because the players aren't being repressed and thrown to the wolves the way Jose likes to do to get a response. They liked Ole on a personal level and are likely befuddled that the coaching staff, who the players will be well aware are a large reason to our lack of structure on the pitch are at fault. So please don't set your expectations high as you'll be disappointed. Expect more of the same until a real change occurs in the coaching staff.

JB7

——————-DDG———————-
———————Matic———————
—-vdB————————Bruno———

Defensive line is nothing to do with Maguire. I appreciate people think that because he's relatively slow but that's not the case, he is perfectly capable in a higher line and dropping him would not achieve your desired effect.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
“We’ll have to see, really,” Carrick said. “Obviously I’ve worked closely with Ole for a long time now and we do have very similar beliefs. We did as players and we certainly do as coaches and manager. Of course I’ve got my own personality, but it’s very similar, that’s why we worked together for so long and it went so well for a period of time."

feck.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
“We’ll have to see, really,” Carrick said. “Obviously I’ve worked closely with Ole for a long time now and we do have very similar beliefs. We did as players and we certainly do as coaches and manager. Of course I’ve got my own personality, but it’s very similar, that’s why we worked together for so long and it went so well for a period of time."

feck.
Not only that he's dumb enough to actually come up with that quote

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I was wondering about the below.

If Carrick did agree with Ole on Donny, but starts Donny tonight as a way of saying 'look at me, I was not part of what was wrong, I have very different ideas', would that be a bit of a backstab on Ole?

Not that most care, but it might make for an awkward conversation next time they're onto each other.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I was wondering about the below.

If Carrick did agree with Ole on Donny, but starts Donny tonight as a way of saying 'look at me, I was not part of what was wrong, I have very different ideas', would that be a bit of a backstab on Ole?

Not that most care, but it might make for an awkward conversation next time they're onto each other.
I dont think so because I think its highly likely that Ole himself would have started Donny tonight