View full 2023-24 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Castia

He did very well considering he was playing against a very technically proficient Wolves midfield on his own. MOTM for me.
They ran past him 10+ times he was awful. Passes all over the place, kept going to ground, looked like he lost a yard of pace he was one of the worst players on the pitch

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn’t any worse than Bruno or Mount but some how feels that way due to higher expectations from him.
I think he was, flew in quite a few times without getting the ball leading to some very dangerous situations and on top of that kept vacating his position at poor times.

Dan_F

Bit of an overreaction in here. He’s never really played the way we’re asking him to (two attacking mids ahead of him). Ironically he would have been perfect for Mourinho and Ole, such is the way we seem to do things post Fergie.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They ran past him 10+ times he was awful. Passes all over the place, kept going to ground, looked like he lost a yard of pace he was one of the worst players on the pitch
Casemiro never had a yard of pace.

There structure of the team, especially in midfield looked completely wrong from minute one and has throughout pre-season.

Some work to do from the players but probably more so tactically imo.

johannes_fd

Put any player in the world in his role today and they would look terrible. Im not worried. Hope we get this midfield sorted out quickly, there were multiple glaring issues both with and without the ball.

Castia

Casemiro never had a yard of pace.

There structure of the team, especially in midfield looked completely wrong from minute one and has throughout pre-season.

Some work to do from the players but probably more so tactically imo.
I will agree with the structure yeah we were all over the place but he looked so weak. Generally looked exhausted trying to stand up, it looked like he kept going to ground to get a breather

InfiniteBoredom

He got more comfortable with Eriksen next to him. While it’s clear that he’s not up to speed, it’s also blatantly obvious that he can’t do this lone DM role alongside two players who have next to no role in the midfield battle.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Casemiro looked leggy, his passing was off and his decision making was troubling for an experienced player. However, the set up of the team did not help him one bit. It was obvious last season that Casemiro needed real legs next to him.

There were times last year when Casemiro and Eriksen were bullied. The remedy for that was to get someone with Fred's energy but something closer to Eriksen's passing. Not to buy another flighty, attacking midfielder like Mount. Mount is basically a younger, more energetic, less silky version of Eriksen.

You see Arsenal go out and get Rice to go next to Partey, you see Chelsea buying pace and power aplenty, Liverpool trying...Why are we trying to do the opposite? Even City are bringing centre backs into midfield these days.

Casemiro will be looking like Fabinho fast if we don't protect him.

abailey123

Have to either put Eriksen next to him on Saturday or ask one of Mount or Fernandes to sit.
Ultimately he can’t do the work of 3 midfielders

Eddy_JukeZ

I was getting pelters for saying if a good offer came in, I'd sell him.

I'm pretty worried he might be physically shot.

I'm not sure our recruitment has improved much if we need to replace Casemiro by the end of the season.

KjaAnd

Someone on here was trying to convince me Case is a very mobile DM. Let’s hope we can finally put that idea to bed.

He’s a great player but he needs someone more mobile next to him who can help him out defensively. Which is why it’s baffling that EtH went all out for Mount.

GMoore23

He's 31 now so will obviously take a bit longer to get up to speed, just like last season.

ten Hag is to blame for that tonight. It was a 4 - 1 - 5 out there tonight at times. Truly embarrassing tactics from him.

Looks like he's not fully fit but at his age he needs somebody to help with the running, instead Mount made his life harder by being out of position all the time.

Witchking

Why the hell should he or any player be afforded the time to settle into the new season when they fecking earn millions in a month that majority of the world won't see in their lifetime?

He should have been ready, he is not new to the club, he is a senior player and it's disappointing that he needs this much time and games to get himself to play well.

Chief123

He always starts slow. Nothing new.

Still, we should be proactive about squad planning, instead of waiting until he's completely done to identify a replacement.
The worry is you could see signs of it end of last season too. He was getting roasted when mobile midfielders came up against him.

Oranges038

Bit of an overreaction in here. He’s never really played the way we’re asking him to (two attacking mids ahead of him). Ironically he would have been perfect for Mourinho and Ole, such is the way we seem to do things post Fergie.
He always had Kroos or Modric dropping back to get the ball and help him in midfield. Mount and Bruno didn't bother their arse even trying.

In saying that, he genuinely looked slow and leggy. Clearly not up to speed yet, needs to get a few more games under his belt. I think he'll be fine.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought he looked tired today. He also got nutmegged at least 3 times. Not his best day. Erikson didn't help when he came on. Cassemiro was having to cover for him too...

Red 142

Looked way off it and looks like he didnt have a pre season
Every player looked that way - it's similar to the start of last season.

That said, Casemiro did look especially slow. He was running about like a 50 year-old.

Even if he gets back to full match sharpness along with the rest of the team, another player who can deputise for him occasionally would be useful.

Ole90+3

Aged as badly as I had expected. Absolutely no legs anymore and he knows it. Makes desperate challenges in transition because he knows he can’t keep up with the play. Going to cost us a lot this season

GMoore23

Why the hell should he or any player be afforded the time to settle into the new season when they fecking earn millions in a month that majority of the world won't see in their lifetime?

He should have been ready, he is not new to the club, he is a senior player and it's disappointing that he needs this much time and games to get himself to play well.
We used to win the league every season often doing that.

mancan92

I thought he was great considering he was by himself the entire match. The reason he got ran past is because there was always 20 yards either side of him. Bruno and Mount completely left him out to dry. Yet he made countless interceptions and blocks.

Cathy Ferguson

115m for Caicedo is great if you get ten good seasons out of him.

65m for Casemiro is terrible if you get 18 months out of him. Whatever pace he had is gone and he is left jogging around. Casemiro is not helped by ETH's tactical naiveity.

Jacob

We should ideally be looking at a Casemiro replacement, not his backup. He looks lethargic and passed it. Running around with no positional awareness.

Devil81

Major concern with his mobility, Wolves showed you can run past him with ease but it was in and around his feet he struggled tonight.

Still has class with the ball but he needs resting more this season.

Trondivan

He was awful. He looks old and tired. He cant cope with the tempo in PL. His passing is off, the tackling is wild and he just looks too slow. Let Bayern M or the Saudis take him.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon

That's on the manager. Not one of them look fit and sharp and there's no wonder when they've only been given one game of 90 minutes (some haven't even got that) in preseason.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
When will people writing him off learn that he takes 4-5 games to get going? That’s why it’s vital that we get in some younger cover to help manage his workload when he’s building to full fitness. He will be absolutely fine as the season progresses and he gains fitness. But we can’t afford to drop points while he’s gaining it!

CloneMC16

Looked really bad. He looked the same in preseason as well. Worrying. Hopefully it's the same as last season and he starts poorly, but massively improves. We absolutely need him to be good, because we have nobody else that can play the position competently. I am worried. Please hijack Lavia.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It looked like he was wearing lead boots. Still a good player of course, but he can't and shouldn't carry the defensive duties on his own. I hope we sign another midfielder to partner him or at least give him a rest.

predator

Youth NITK
Wasn't his best game but I think it was due our setup mainly, and it's the first game back so might be a slow to get started.

NZT-One

Cool of a bit guys. It has been the first game of the season, he needs a couple of games to get going. Obviously we have to make sure we are prepared to provide him support but acting as if a little lacklustre first match performance says much about the status quo isn't the smartest thing to do.
Prime Gullit would have looked iffy if played more or less on his own in midfield against a Wolves team that became more and more confident when the game went on.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Agreed. He looked gassed by the 35th minute. Very rough game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
115m for Caicedo is great if you get ten good seasons out of him.

65m for Casemiro is terrible if you get 18 months out of him. Whatever pace he had is gone and he is left jogging around. Casemiro is not helped by ETH's tactical naiveity.
Was always the concern. Said as much when people were saying it was "a bargain", "best signing ever" etc. Too early to judge.