Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
115m for Caicedo is great if you get ten good seasons out of him.

65m for Casemiro is terrible if you get 18 months out of him. Whatever pace he had is gone and he is left jogging around. Casemiro is not helped by ETH's tactical naiveity.
We wouldn't have made the champion's league without him, but I get what you're saying. Hoping we can get one more good year out of him.

massey

Left exposed alot due to the formation of our midfield but some of the lunges and getting beat to the ball tonight wasn't good, looked way of the pace like he was 50 years old.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Left exposed alot due to the formation of our midfield but some of the lunges and getting beat to the ball tonight wasn't good, looked way of the pace like he was 50 years old.
Yeah that's sort of my appraisal as well. He was basically left for dead in that midfield but didn't look great either. But he's earned our patience because honestly no DM in the world would have looked good behind those two bozos in front of him, Rodri himself would have been cooked.

Salfordlad70

We wouldn't have made the champion's league without him, but I get what you're saying. Hoping we can get one more good year out of him.
If we’re desperately hoping to get a second good season out of £70 million signing we really are desperate.

He was brilliant for the majority of last season yet occasionally a liability and he faded as the season came to a close. I’m worried about him. The game passes him all too often and he looks clumsy and at times uninterested.

I think most of us are a bit shocked by the performance tonight and everyone looked off the pace and so Casemiro shouldn’t be singled out for his play, but when you look at other midfields it makes you wonder how often we’ll control games and not get overrun.

Anyway, it’s one game and the room for improvement is there and there needs to be a reaction against Spurs and a more disciplined and intelligent performance.

skc_18

Calm down guys. He could not sprint in the last 15 mins I agree but his two midfield partners did not hold the ball for 10-15 secs the entire game and he always had to do their defensive work. And he was main attacking passer as well for most of the game.
He had good first half but dont think how many other DM players would have survived that whole game playing alone in the midfield.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think it’s harsh to judge him considering the system + it was the first match of the season.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I’ll give him a pass for tonight, but for the love of god, stop lunging in and taking yourself out of the game.

Something an over exuberant 18 year old would do playing his first few games. Utterly unacceptable.

Marwood

I'm one who worries about his longevity but first half he was the only one that showed up.

On top of that pretty much any No.6 will be played around if left isolated.

Chief123

He definitely can’t be plahing 2 games a week once the UCL starts. We’ll be in trouble if we over use him.

DevTheRed

I don't think he’s been the same since the suspension spell he went through.. been quite underwhelming ever since. He always seems to want too much time on the ball and it gets nicked a fair bit.

Definitely needs some legs next to him too.. we were massively let off tonight.

Kammy26

I think he did alright. I don’t know what people are expecting? He’s playing in a midfield 3 with 2 players who have zero defensive awareness. Against strong runners and fast passers that Wolves have. It’s on the manager.

the_cliff

Got to feel for him. To go from Modric/Kroos to Mount/Bruno....

His workload just went up... he should've asked for a higher salary. :lol:

Bwuk

He shouldn’t play as a single 6. If he has to play that role every week he’s going to struggle for legs.

From our current squad it should be him, McSauce & Bruno. Mount outwide.

marktan

He is slowing down, you can tell, he didn't look this leggy at Real. Fact is DM is a demanding position and he's played a lot of games before coming to us.

bstb3

Needs legs alongside him. His experience and nous will help him for a while yet, but he needs to show some restraint in the attacking phases. If the plan is to have him as the base with Bruno and Mount in front it's going to leave him far too exposed. Can't get a much better example of it than tonight, and that's against a poor team. He's not to blame, but we need to see it and plan for it before it costs us too much. I suspect the reason ETH was so keen on Mainoo was for this reason, but with his injury then I think we need to be looking to bring that profile of player in as we simply don't have it, especially with Fred now gone.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Early days for the season, but the best way to summarise how I feel after that is - :nervous:

And we've no-one else to play that position.

AndyMUFC

He was poor but was all on his own in midfield so I'm not solely blaming him for that.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not sure I was watching the same match. As poor as Bruno was - and that was another in a fairly decent-sized catalogue of 3/10 performances - Casemiro was the worst player in our midfield today.

Not because he's slowed down, or dallied on the ball, or made some questionable lunges: but because his positioning was god awful. Until about the 60th minute he was frequently the furthest advanced midfielder, randomly running past even Antony and getting into the box. If it's instructions from EtH I will be absolutely shocked, but it's just not his role.

This formation can ONLY work if Casemiro's job is to defend, not attack. Bruno is probably the riskiest player in world football. Mount is an attacker. So Casemiro has to be playing like Carrick, not as a box-to-box player. I've no idea what he was thinking. Even if EtH had randomly told him to get into the final third, he's more experienced than the manager - he needs to show some awareness and discipline.

I'm not worried, he's probably our most experienced player, but he needs to settle down. I know he got some goals and lovely passes last year, but his role is to make us secure first and foremost, and he abdicated all responsibility today.

saik

His legs have gone. He showed signs of slowing at the end of last season as well. Mainoo can't come back soon enough so that he can take some games off Casemiro and let him rest later on. Similar to Eriksen this season, I think ETH will phase out Casemiro slowly next season.

Eddy_JukeZ

I get the feeling Casemiro will be in Saudi Arabia next year. Playing football.
Same here.

And we'll need to have another serious discussion on 'improved recruitment' if we're needing to replace Casemiro after just 2 seasons.

Blood Mage

He's still very good but approaching the end of his career now. Just pure arrogance from us to think we can make do with him as our sole DM for the season.

Reality will bite us hard when we come up against better teams.

MasterDarcy

It was a strange signing to begin with. Casemiro and Eriksen should've been short term signings, but Casemiro is signed up till 2026.

He's only 31. If he's this legless and lethargic now then just imagine what he'll be like in a year or two.

Our scouting network is so amateurish when we compare it to Brighton's.

Rake

There were a lot of issues with our positional play last night, but he just looks incapable of keeping up with the physicality in a lot of situations. And this is a continuation of last season. He must be 100% accurate in his defensive actions or players just glide past him and he has no way to recover.

I think he will get better in his passing and faster decision making after a few games, but the physical aspect will just decline even further.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We took Real Madrid's least creative player, but who excels at many other things, and made him our main playmaker. What a piece of business!

Gordon S

Yes, we will definitely see him play better than this as the season moves on. We will have more control over some games, which will make it easier for him,
We will see some fantastic forward passing from him, and a couple of great goals.

But we will also see this again and again.

That is why you don´t spunk 70 odd millions on a guy in the latter stages of his career.
Look at almost every old United player that you like/love.. Scholes, Robson, Keane, Beckham, Rio, Hughes, Evra, Carrick, Park, Pallister, RvN, Rooney, Ronaldo, Irwin, Rashford.. All joined the club at a relatively young age. Buying older established players usually ends up like this. We just bought Casemiro (and Varane), and it already feels we need to find proper replacements.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We are putting a mountain on his back. Would struggle even if he was in the best shape of his life I reckon.

Ash_G

I think it's fair to say too much was asked of him re the space we wanted him to cover in the middle, particularly given how seemingly willing we were to turn over possession and in reality I don't think anyone could do that. However I also think he made a lot of odd decisions- running around into places he didn't need to go and trying things his body just doesn't have it in to do. If we want to maximise him this season then surely we need to set up the team in a way that we're trying to achieve some semblance of control.

AFC NimbleThumb

He looked at his best last season on the ball, that’s where he really surprised with his passing & technique. Mount doesn’t unleash that side of him & burdens him more, we’ve fecked this one if we think he can carry the weight of that midfield.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Quote this post when he’s got his rhythm back in a few weeks time and he’s bossing the midfield again and everyone is signing his praises.

Litch

Hes a slow starter, but he'll be ok a few more games in. The bigger problem is who plays with him in midfield....