Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

POF

Does butting into a conversation you weren't part of with condescension make you feel important or something? Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question

Jog on
The irony!

Just confirming: You agree with the FA banning Cavani for a comment he made to his friend on a public forum, yet take offence when someone "butts in to your conversation" on a public forum?

OldTrevil

The irony!

Just confirming: You agree with the FA banning Cavani for a comment he made to his friend on a public forum, yet take offence when someone "butts in to your conversation" on a public forum?
I like how you conveniently leave out the condescension part

Not really, it's actually pathetic of you

Red71

Very dangerous precedent.

Any foreign word that sounds or looks offensive in English should not be spoken or written by foreign players in their native language, even if it doesn't mean what the non-speaker thinks.

Very dystopian.
This above completely...

If the FA were so bothered about “education”, they could have warned Cavani, releasing a statement to the general public explaining why he wasn’t being punished, detailing all about the cultural nuances of his language. Why would they though? They took the easy route with an easy target. They’re lazy, out of touch feckers with no clue who couldn’t be bothered to work outside their limited worldview.

city-puma

FA has no way to defend their logic and have to shift the blame to the club. If they really believe what they put out, they should withdraw the ban on Cavani and issue a punishment to the club. Apparently they won’t do it either, the world need to be better than this.

city-puma

This above completely...

If the FA were so bothered about “education”, they could have warned Cavani, releasing a statement to the general public explaining why he wasn’t being punished, detailing all about the cultural nuances of his language. Why would they though? They took the easy route with an easy target. They’re lazy, out of touch feckers with no clue who couldn’t be bothered to work outside their limited worldview.
It probably is not due to their limited worldview but the political pressure they rightly foresee coming on is much greater than if they didn’t do it. As you said, pick the easy/weaker target.

alexthelion

I am not thinking in terms of 1984, dystopian and other such concepts and ideas.

I just found this article which excellently captures what I am thinking on this subject https://www.goal.com/en/news/first-...n-footballers-keep/1cd21rta8eh521fqvd7zqn8tnq

As I mentioned in another post this is a very poor medium to express ideas fully without pumping out a 1000 words. A couple of times on the thread I have been accused of straw manning and Wumming. I would never wind people up on this subject and dont WUM on this forum aside from the odd sarcastic post about footy. I ultimately agree with the conclusion of the article that the FA has been harsh on Cavani and he shouldn't probably have receieved the 3 match ban. But who knows, a warning would have may kicked up the same derision. I just find it hard to condemn the FA for their decision on such a complex subject where they are try to draw a clear line in the sand.
"The English-speaking football world erupted in anger".

Stopped reading there, it's a load of bollocks. Only the PC mad idiots at the FA seem to think there's an issue (there shouldn't be).

Anyone agreeing with that article really needs their head looked at, seriously.

alexthelion

Well done, you go straight on my ignore list.

That's nonsense, you can't just throw around racism accusations with nothing to back them up. Can you show what in my posts is racist?

First of all I'm black and not even British. At no point in my post did I demean Uruguayan society in favor of the British either. In terms of cruelty and crimes against humanity, I would agree that their ruling class is up there among the worst.

I simply refused to take negrito as a term of endearment. As I'm not part of your culture, I go with the literal translation of 'little black/blackie' and I would take issue with anyone who used it with me. El negro jefe on the other hand is cool and perfectly fine with me.
Apparently the FA can, and you're backing them, so...

Stacks

Sounds racist, you should be banned.

See how stupid that is? That's the FA's stance in this matter.
Think that's stupid how about this. Imagine there comes a time when many black managers grace the premier league and start winning titles and lets say John Barnes is one of them, should John Barnes post on twitter "So happy for the Rooney rule which is allowing black managers like me to get opportunities at the highest level. the talent was always there, we just needed doors opening!"

He would get a ban for that.

big rons sovereign

This excellent summary gets right to the heart of it.
To be offended by Cavani's tweet you would have to be have to be clever enough to translate it into English and ignorant enough to misunderstand its meaning.
Didn't the FA bring in Portuguese lip-readers just so they could find something to charge Jose with?
That's after banning him for brutally attacking a bottle and having the tip of his shoe cross the touchline.
Klopp and pep however, can leap around like rabid animals chew the face of the officials or run into the pitch and face no consequence.
The FA are a strange bunch.
It's almost as if they're making it up as they go along.

TrustInOle

Didn't the FA bring in Portuguese lip-readers just so they could find something to charge Jose with?
That's after banning him for brutally attacking a bottle and having the tip of his shoe cross the touchline.
Klopp and pep however, can leap around like rabid animals chew the face of the officials or run into the pitch and face no consequence.
The FA are a strange bunch.
It's almost as if they're making it up as they go along.
People finally starting to catch on. :lol:

FA have always be a joke.

big rons sovereign

Do these people realise that racism is NOT JUST against black people? pulling the race card on shit like this is just infuriating and detracts from the seriousness of the whole issue.

It's like the only way you can be racist is if you say the N word or anything close. But yet they've never had an issue with rappers of the same colour saying it 100 times a song in a mainstream medium listened to by millions.
Woah. Down this road, there be dragons.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Does butting into a conversation you weren't part of with condescension make you feel important or something? Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question

Jog on
You replied to a fellow countryman stating you are not part of our culture but YOU would be offended if called that.

I'm just clarifying nobody would, nothing condescending about it, just stating a fact. If you read the post before that one I was making the exact same point to someone else.

For some reason a bunch of posters allude to how they wouldn't feel comfortable with certain terms of endearment and entirely miss the point that these are used with people you care about and thus would not use them if the recipient felt uncomfortable with them.

Manya.para.siempre

You replied to a fellow countryman stating you are not part of our culture but YOU would be offended if called that.

I'm just clarifying nobody would, nothing condescending about it, just stating a fact. If you read the post before that one I was making the exact same point to someone else.

For some reason a bunch of posters allude to how they wouldn't feel comfortable with certain terms of endearment and entirely miss the point that these are used with people you care about and thus would not use them if the recipient felt uncomfortable with them.
Exactly, for some reason some people seem to think that we go around calling every stranger blackie, fatso, skinny etc. They don't realise that to use a nickname like this with someone you first have to earn the right to.

Icemav

"The English-speaking football world erupted in anger".

Stopped reading there, it's a load of bollocks. Only the PC mad idiots at the FA seem to think there's an issue (there shouldn't be).

Anyone agreeing with that article really needs their head looked at, seriously.
I have from time to time for a small fee.

If you had made it past the second paragraph you would see some interesting arguments debated. One doesn't have to agree with everything in an article nor the hyperbole of journalism.

Anyway that is enough insults for the months. Have a good one.

Last edited:

Icemav

Roibal is a fecking idiot.

IMHO the once racists countries has turned into “we are better than the under developed countries and we can teach them even if they don’t want”

That’s the FA attitude when they recognize that Cavani wasn’t racist but he didnt follow the new british way of doing things

As many poster said it clearly “if you are in England is our way or the highway”. Properly forgetting that england was one of the major enslavers countries in history.

Go teach your ancestors, and in the process, return the spoils. Like 80 percent of the “British :lol: museum”
There is a small amount of re-education in Britain on these matters, but certainly not nearly enough and I welcome it fully (just sad to see the awful jingoistic tub thumping and rule Britannia rhetoric that Brexit has sadly brought). I am guessing what you say also holds true for the Spanish? Certainly it is my opinion that all former European Colonial powers need to embrace this, and also some newer-nations states subsequent to winning their independence.

As an anecdote, The Belgian husband of my friend was at a lunch with his new German/English son-in-law when this ignorance of one's own national history was made apparent. So my friend's husband had spent a total 30 years growing up and living primarily in Kinshasa and has seen a few nasty things in that time. He is quite anti-African because of this and was saying so over lunch. His new son in law pointed out that King Leopold II enforced the practice of cutting off hands in the region and it was estimate that millions died due to his brutal policies. My friend (also Belgian) and her husband were very embarrassed because they knew NOTHING of this despite being Belgian and despite collectively having spend over 45 years living in DRC/Congo and even pre independence, and this is something quite common knowledge internationally. Countries tend not to like teaching their citizens certain parts of their history. The UK is no different in this respect.

Last edited:

Giggs86

The FA are such thick cnuts i'm surprised they didn't ban Montenegro from coming to Wembley.

Icemav

Would Paolo Negro (Italian footballer) ever have been allowed to play in England :lol: ?
He would have, in the same way that many footballers with the surname Black played professionally in the UK.

Manya.para.siempre

Would Paolo Negro (Italian footballer) ever have been allowed to play in England :lol: ?
He probably would have, but I imagine his team would lose a lot of points cause all his team mates would get bans when they called out to him for the ball.

Icemav

You do see the difference between the 2 words though right ? You never know with those fools of the FA
I think the only time the FA have have had a problem with the Spanish word 'negro' was when Suarez used it to racially abuse Evra.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think the only time the FA have have had a problem with the Spanish word 'negro' was when Suarez used it to racially abuse Evra.
And this instance when a word close to it was completely misunderstood in its meaning and context. If they fine and ban Cavani for this, no one can say they wouldn't do it with someone who would forget to use capital "N" for the italian player's name.

big rons sovereign

Jog on
Posts in public forum, complains that people respond.
Do you also get pissed off when other people get on 'your' bus?

Red71

It probably is not due to their limited worldview but the political pressure they rightly foresee coming on is much greater than if they didn’t do it. As you said, pick the easy/weaker target.
Possibly they were also anticipating political pressure as you say but the fight against racism shouldn’t be about that anyway (I know you’re not saying it is of course...). What’s wrong with them taking a more considered view and having the courage of their convictions? Because they’re also spineless...with a hard on for United...terrible combo as it turns out!

Daonico

Well done, you go straight on my ignore list.

That's nonsense, you can't just throw around racism accusations with nothing to back them up. Can you show what in my posts is racist?

First of all I'm black and not even British. At no point in my post did I demean Uruguayan society in favor of the British either. In terms of cruelty and crimes against humanity, I would agree that their ruling class is up there among the worst.

I simply refused to take negrito as a term of endearment. As I'm not part of your culture, I go with the literal translation of 'little black/blackie' and I would take issue with anyone who used it with me. El negro jefe on the other hand is cool and perfectly fine with me.
Then your friends probably won't use it with you, will them?
as has been explained thousands of time in this thread... we don't go calling random people "negrito"... we don't go to a foreign country and call some local we just met "negrito"...
Let me put an example... if you have a wife, girlfriend or whatevver... you probably have terms of entereament for each other... you may call her "honey" "sweetie" or something like that... that means you will call a random woman like that? she will get mad...

Stacks

There is a small amount of re-education in Britain on these matters, but certainly not nearly enough and I welcome it fully (just sad to see the awful jingoistic tub thumping and rule Britannia rhetoric that Brexit has sadly brought). I am guessing what you say also holds true for the Spanish? Certainly it is my opinion that all former European Colonial powers need to embrace this, and also some newer-nations states subsequent to winning their independence.

As an anecdote, The Belgian husband of my friend was at a lunch with his new German/English son-in-law when this ignorance of one's own national history was made apparent. So my friend's husband had spent a total 30 years growing up and living primarily in Kinshasa and has seen a few nasty things in that time. He is quite anti-African because of this and was saying so over lunch. His new son in law pointed out that King Leopold II enforced the practice of cutting off hands in the region and it was estimate that millions died due to his brutal policies. My friend (also Belgian) and her husband were very embarrassed because they knew NOTHING of this despite being Belgian and despite collectively having spend over 45 years living in DRC/Congo and even pre independence, and this is something quite common knowledge internationally. Countries tend not to like teaching their citizens certain parts of their history. The UK is no different in this respect.
You rarely here the Danes apologise or accept their role in slavery.

HarryRedCrumbs

Exactly, for some reason some people seem to think that we go around calling every stranger blackie, fatso, skinny etc. They don't realise that to use a nickname like this with someone you first have to earn the right to.

Then your friends probably won't use it with you, will them?
as has been explained thousands of time in this thread... we don't go calling random people "negrito"... we don't go to a foreign country and call some local we just met "negrito"...
Let me put an example... if you have a wife, girlfriend or whatevver... you probably have terms of entereament for each other... you may call her "honey" "sweetie" or something like that... that means you will call a random woman like that? she will get mad...

Sorry, a lot of people just cannot get their head around the idea that words and expressions from other languages aren’t exactly the same as they are in English. It’s a mind blowing concept for them and I’m not sure that they’re ready for it. In the UK we do our best to never mention someone’s skin colour when referring to them. It’s ok to sing a song about your favourite brown-eyed girl, but try singing about your brown skinned girl and it’s off to the re-education camp for you.

Strangely, English also does’t have any direct way of referring to a friend of the opposite sex without accidentally and awkwardly suggesting you are in a relationship with them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Of course it does. The slave trade is only part of the colonial machinery. The base case was: find new territories, force the locals into submission and make them work for you replicating the feudal system. The consequences are felt to this day.

The Spanish exploited the natives in Mexico and the Andes, turning them into forced labour extracting their own gold and silver for the Spanish crown.

It may sound weird but the US did well because it was a shite target, leftovers. In the Americas, Britain arrived late to the party so had to make do with lands and natives that didn't have all that much to offer other than fighting. The same had happened to the Spanish in the River Plate, to the point Buenos Aires was abandoned and the capital moved to Asunción as the guaranitic tribes already had an agricultural model and feudal taxation system (all they did was replace the head).

In the US colonies they eventually worked out they had to work themselves to subsist, but then... that wasn't the deal. Colonists hadn't made the trek there to become peasants for the crown, so demanded a say, formed councils, started building democratic institutions... Some turned to slavery to try replicate the original exploitation business model, while others persisted with the new model.

The rest is (literally) history.

HarryRedCrumbs

My friend (also Belgian) and her husband were very embarrassed because they knew NOTHING of this despite being Belgian and despite collectively having spend over 45 years living in DRC/Congo and even pre independence, and this is something quite common knowledge internationally. Countries tend not to like teaching their citizens certain parts of their history. The UK is no different in this respect.

Saying that a Belgian knows nothing of King Leopold and that period of time in the DRC is like claiming an Englishman has never heard of Adolf Hitler. Belgium is a small, very well educated country and you’re talking cobblers.