Cavani is not respected enough around here

OleGunnar20

Cavani was only ever any use off the bench for us. Thoroughly overrated and overappreciated.

Our clubs problem is how insistent we are in keeping players that are of not much use to us.

I suspect it's because we are incapable of more that 3-4 signings in a summer.

What we gonna do for next season.

Pogba Greenwood Cavani Mata Matic Martial Lingard and potentially Ronaldo gone.

We will have no squad at all.

And our first 11 will have taken a big hit too.

We will need to sign like 6 top top players which is impossible for us.
Luckily the likes of Amad, Pellestri, Mejbri, Laird & Garner can count towards those new additions next year I'd say. Perhaps even Mengi and Chong too. This isn't to play down the state of our squad of course - its really come off the rails (unexpectedly quickly in my opinion).

With a handful of those youngsters playing squad roles though I think we could get away with 2 or 3 quality additions - DM & ST for sure, with a third possibly at CM, CB or RB depending on priorities. No room for our patented DVB style useless additions however. We need to get the right people in.

Garner, Laird, Amad and Mejbri in particular I'd like to see start bedding in next year. But we absolutely need to introduce a couple of real leaders alongside this bunch, if we're to have any chance.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is a joke at this point but then so is the club for allowing this part-timer to earn a million a month.

flameinthesun

This guy is great example of how people see what they want, because he runs a bit more than the other strikers and has decent movement people will say "he's commited, the only one trying" etc. When arguably he is the least professional player in the squad and the least commited to this club based on his actions as a whole. Should have been let go in the winter if it wasn't for us being so light up front.

Xaviboy

Sooner the better he goes along with rest of the out of contract brigade in the summer.

Another waster on the wage bill.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: How many more sickies can he get before he moves to Barcelona or Boca Juniors in the summer, you reckon?
Surely you don't move from barely contributing for us to Barcelona?!

I know they're not at late 2000 / early 2010s level, but still.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surely you don't move from barely contributing for us to Barcelona?!

I know they're not at late 2000 / early 2010s level, but still.
You say that but to be fair, Aubameyang just showed up in Spain one day in January and all of a sudden they signed him.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Varane also was down with a bad stomach. Maybe rangnick is resting them for CL.

acnumber9

This guy is great example of how people see what they want, because he runs a bit more than the other strikers and has decent movement people will say "he's commited, the only one trying" etc. When arguably he is the least professional player in the squad and the least commited to this club based on his actions as a whole. Should have been let go in the winter if it wasn't for us being so light up front.
It’s easier to run your guts out for the one game a month you make yourself available for.

JohnnyKills

The fact that people boo Martial and sing about Cavani is shameful

Last edited:

Litch

It is funny, the very things we criticise other players about, we don’t apply to him. He wanted to leave, he’s a bit of a passion merchant, he runs around a lot, he’s always bloody injured and he’s only scored 2 goals this season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It is funny, the very things we criticise other players about, we don’t apply to him. He wanted to leave, he’s a bit of a passion merchant, he runs around a lot, he’s always bloody injured and he’s only scored 2 goals this season.
I think fans respect what players leave out on the field more than anything else. Cavani is 35, it’s really no surprise he’s struggling with injuries, I can overlook that when he gives 100% when he does play.

What I can’t stand is players who walk around and look disinterested. It’s unforgivable.

JohnnyKills

I think fans respect what players leave out on the field more than anything else. Cavani is 35, it’s really no surprise he’s struggling with injuries, I can overlook that when he gives 100% when he does play.

What I can’t stand is players who walk around and look disinterested. It’s unforgivable.
Surely picking and choosing the games you play is just as bad?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Surely picking and choosing the games you play is just as bad?
It’s fairly normal for a 35 year old? They’re usually given more trust and autonomy over their condition and the games they play. They’re allowed to listen to their body more than a 20 year old.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Statistically Cavani hasn’t been doing much running on the pitch anyway. Last season he was, this season his pressures, distance covered, etc. per 90 is down with Rashford/Ronaldo levels.

JohnnyKills

It’s fairly normal for a 35 year old? They’re usually given more trust and autonomy over their condition and the games they play. They’re allowed to listen to their body more than a 20 year old.
Oh that's alright then.

(sorry mate, not trying to pick an argument with you but the way people make excuses for this guy does my head in. He's cheating the fans!)

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Statistically Cavani hasn’t been doing much running on the pitch anyway. Last season he was, this season his pressures, distance covered, etc. per 90 is down with Rashford/Ronaldo levels.
Do you have the stats to that at hand or is it based on judgement from watching him? I agree his intensity seems a bit lower but it seems he’s in a different role?

arthurka

The fact that people boo Martial and sing about Cavani is shameful
You think so? Edi looks to busy all the time but Martial has failed to deliver for many years and looks not interested while Edi looks up for it when he plays. But I agree with you.

Still don´t understand why Utd bought him and Ronaldo, we are left with two over the hill strikers.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We criticise martial for a lack of passion over a longer period when he wasnt even injured. The previous manager had to make up excuses to him, saying he was injured when his wife said he wasn't.

Cavani is in the end of his career. He likely stated his terms up front when having his frank talk with Rangnick and the manager probably thought its worth having him despite that.

I think if Cavani was in his 20s and showed the same lazy application on the pitch and lack of fight that Martial does, posters would have half a leg to stand on. He is bowing out of his career soon enough though and theres an element of context to be applied to that.

I would love to see what Martial does at 34.

AFC NimbleThumb

This./

So you dislike players who walk around looking disinterested? Which most/all of us do but you don’t mind a player who is disinterested in turning up to games multiple times a season because he ‘gives 100%’ when he bothers to turn up.

Genuinely one of the strangest takes. So long as when you’re on the pitch you run round like a headless chicken it doesn’t actually matter that you are barely on the pitch. Give me a Berbatov over this fraud any day of the week.

JohnnyKills

We criticise martial for a lack of passion over a longer period when he wasnt even injured. The previous manager had to make up excuses to him, saying he was injured when his wife said he wasn't.

Cavani is in the end of his career. He likely stated his terms up front when having his frank talk with Rangnick and the manager probably thought its worth having him despite that.

I think if Cavani was in his 20s and showed the same lazy application on the pitch and lack of fight that Martial does, posters would have half a leg to stand on. He is bowing out of his career soon enough though and theres an element of context to be applied to that.

I would love to see what Martial does at 34.
One of them took a pay cut to play regular football. The other seems happy to sit on his couch and pick up his wage.

I know which one is showing more application right now.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

You think so? Edi looks to busy all the time but Martial has failed to deliver for many years and looks not interested while Edi looks up for it when he plays. But I agree with you.

Still don´t understand why Utd bought him and Ronaldo, we are left with two over the hill strikers.
Agree completely. Can only imagine Ronaldo was a Glazer signing.

JohnnyKills

'passion merchant' is a great way of putting it.

Greck

People still defending this garbage. Every week we're bringing on Lingard when we need a goal because Cavani can't even make the field for 10 minutes game time. We're not asking him to start every game people. Now it's a stomach problem, next week ear infection. Half the team is begging for gametime and our bench striker can't even make matchday. I'm just waiting for him to suddenly be healthy for Athletico.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
is there any player at United that nearly every poster on here doesn't constantly slag off for every possible conceivable reason?

If he's injured he's injured. We signed him for free and then convinced him to stay another year due to his performances on the pitch.

He's hardly ruining the club and he was hardly meant to be a long term solution for anything. And id much rather have had him around the last two years than not

Do you lot ever read back through threads like this and realise what a bunch of petty little children you sound like?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
One of them took a pay cut to play regular football. The other seems happy to sit on his couch and pick up his wage.

I know which one is showing more application right now.
Again you're being lazy in comparison. Cavani was a free agent after a fantastic career and came here on whats likely his last material salary. Martial took a wage thats still over his worth to get playing time to revive his career, which he should be entering his peak in.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah, Ole did us dirty big time. The situation is very dire
You blame Ole? I'm not quite sure how much to blame he is there.

Mata: we've been systematically extending peripheral players for years. The club, not the manager.

Pogba: the writing has been on the wall for two years now but we've tried to stay on the "preserve value/brand asset" track. If anything, it quite clearly hampered him because he couldn't plan or execute anything with a view to life/team without Pogba but, instead, had to do anything conducive to him signing on, which he was never going to do until the very end -if that- as he had everything going for him/Raiola.

Matic: see Pogba uncertainty. Can't go and sign Paul's replacement, nor the right partner for him. You don't really know for a fact what your midfield needs because it is pretty contingent on the two season Pogba-sized question mark. So you bide that time relying on a former quality player that has lost his legs completely.

Greenwood: clearly not on Ole. We should have gone for our future CF last Summer, with Cavani only staying as a backup/late sub option. Not rotation, backup. We got Cristiano instead, which was absolute madness, only made more obvious and noticeable once our most promising youngster since Cristiano removed himself from the equation.

Lingard he probably should have sold. Martial was quite clearly out of favour, but not sold either. Those I do think was his call, not the club's.

Thing is, I don't think the manager has had that much authority on who actually gets signed on, so not surprised they are averse to discarding anyone and that's where I think the club contemplates the manager's wishes more. Result, bloated squads conforming dysfunctional First XIs.

Not an Ole keyboard warrior or anything, just think we are deluding ourselves if we think that will change with Ole gone. If it does, it will be because this new "consultant in the background" stuff ends up working. I'm hopeful, but... it's the hope that kills you.

JohnnyKills

Again you're being lazy in comparison. Cavani was a free agent after a fantastic career and came here on whats likely his last material salary. Martial took a wage thats still over his worth to get playing time to revive his career, which he should be entering his peak in.
Just sounds like excuses to me.

GBBQ

If he manages to get us some critical goals to grasp 4th place or (extremely unlikely) to win the CL then he’ll be a success and all this won’t matter. Given his inability to play full games or twice in one week he is more of an emergency plan b, someone who can break the deadlock in a tight game with a moment of magic.

If he doesn’t deliver that by the end of his contract he can be rightly written off more miss than hit.

Greck

The Martial thing is unnecessary imo, detracts from the main issue. The best ability is availability. The matter of what you do on the pitch isn't even relevant when you never play. The last 4 weeks have been excruciating for striker options. We had to rotate Ronaldo and Rashford at their lowest career points every week because who else was there. Absolutely not we're not better off with someone that doesn't play.

Loaning a new striker would even have been preferable, could even have changed anyone of the narrow games we dropped points in when Ronnie and Rash were stinking up the joint. Our prospects in the FA cup and top 4 race have been shaped by a lack of options over the last month. We are actually clicking but can't score. The stage is set for any striker to walk in and bury a few chances.