Champions League — quarter-finals and semi-finals draw

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Bit off topic but not worth starting a thread over, but what's happened to Porto. Every time I see the score in their games when checking in play scores, they're losing.
Hot headed coach whose time is up.

Senile president, after 42 years leading the club.

A lot of turmoil, and change is very much welcome.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just checked the results as that’s pretty much my relationship now with this competition but what a wonderful surprise to wake up to - both City and Arsenal out. With the former gone, at least the rest of competition won’t be all about dread. feck off Pep and 115 FC

Redivy

Why is Kane a laughing stock ? Not winning a title has little to do with his own performances
I personally dont think he is, but the carry on has already started among the media and in particular social media. Whether we like it or not, he wont be able to escape the fact he went to a side that has dominated the league for 11 years and then finishes 2nd the year he arrived.

It is just a sad fact of football

Redivy

Written in the stars that Mbappe will face his new club in the final
It just seems so wrong if he makes it to the final and loses to Madrid, only to then jump ship.

If im Mbappe, Im hoping to beat Dortmund and just face Bayern in the final.

These narratives matter a lot when players are trying to enter all-time discussions.

amolbhatia50k

Why is Kane a laughing stock ? Not winning a title has little to do with his own performances
Social media. Basically a bunch of 10 year olds who latch on to any bantz and repeat it ad nauseam

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good to see all English clubs going out of CL, hopefully Liverpool from Europa too.

Madrid did more for ManUtd than any ManUtd player or manager post SAF.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It just seems so wrong if he makes it to the final and loses to Madrid, only to then jump ship.

These narratives matter a lot when players are trying to enter all-time discussions.
No they don't, he was always joining Madrid. Whether PSG plays Real Madrid or not and whatever the score, he's still going. World's best players go to Real Madrid, he should already be there if he wasn't obsessed with (insane) money.

Cloud7

Now that Arsenal and city are out, I’m happy with any of the four teams remaining winning it. My order of preference would be

1) Dortmund
2) PSG
3) Bayern
4) Real

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
KdB asked Pep to sub him out, he looked exhausted as he was everywhere and tried to be Stevie Me. Also worked his socks off, so can see why he wanted to be subbed out.

Why did Haaland asked to come off, he stood in the box all game and barely moved. Was he too bored watching the game from the box, instead he wanted to watch from sidelines?

amolbhatia50k

Having seen Madrid’s injury list and turnaround of big name stars in recent seasons, I think City really fecked up this tie. Madrid are good but City had everything going their way - settled team, barely any injuries, current holders - and they still lost the tie. Dropped the ball big time, 115 and Pep.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We beat them 4-0 last year in a game with only slightly higher XG. Difference being they scored first tonight and could sit in and counter more and we were ruthless that night but nervy tonight.
No team is gonna have like 8 guilt edged chances vs Madrid (or anyone for that matter). We simply dominated the game but Madrid had the balls and nerve we didn't.
last season you shut us down. This season you didn't. We each had 3 big chances, the rest is made up of decent ones, but after the goals you scored in the first leg, you were never beating our Spice on that :D

Redivy

No they don't, he was always joining Madrid. Whether PSG plays Real Madrid or not and whatever the score, he's still going. World's best players go to Real Madrid, he should already be there if he wasn't obsessed with (insane) money.
He is definitely going there. But the narrative will change if he loses in the final to Madrid and joins them.

If you're talking about an all time great, it will always be said that he couldnt beat them so he joined them. It happens in all sports, it happened in the NBA a few years ago when Kevin Durant, the 2nd best basketballer in the world at the time lost to a team in the semis, and then joined them and it is always used against him.

He might not care about the narrative, and all power to him. He should want to join Madrid, he is a player of that quality and should be at the most successful club in the world. But it doesnt mean its a great look for his legacy to do it right after he loses to them in a UCL final, if it comes to that.

erikcred

He is definitely going there. But the narrative will change if he loses in the final to Madrid and joins them.

If you're talking about an all time great, it will always be said that he couldnt beat them so he joined them. It happens in all sports, it happened in the NBA a few years ago when Kevin Durant, the 2nd best basketballer in the world at the time lost to a team in the semis, and then joined them and it is always used against him.

He might not care about the narrative, and all power to him. He should want to join Madrid, he is a player of that quality and should be at the most successful club in the world. But it doesnt mean its a great look for his legacy to do it right after he loses to them in a UCL final, if it comes to that.
Absolutely bonkers post.

Legacy of a guy who won the world cup and scored a hat trick in another final will be affected by signing for Real Madrid instead of staying at plucky minnows PSG.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

He will leave a marketing plaything in a second tier league to join the most successful and biggest club in the world. That’s the end of that story, pretty much.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Fecking Real. If there's one thing I hate it's going out against Real. On the other hand I think our chances to progress are still higher (2%) against them than against City (0.2%).

Real Name

Real favorites for the whole thing now.

So glad plastics went out although Madrid looked like Burnley out there most of the game. All the sweeter then tbh.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

But if he gets to the final and he’s the reason they win it then it’s a different story. He’s a PSG player so will want to go out with the biggest trophy and then next year he’ll want the same for Madrid.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
If he does come here we should do what Bayern Munich did prior to the final against Dortmund and reveal he's joining us next summer just to feck with them.
fun fact 1: it was before the *half-final* it was revelaed, (BVB- Real, so you should be grateful)
fun fact 2: Bayern tried to avoid the public to know about the transfer, it was a media leak from another side

but dont let facts spoil your narrative

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Dortmund - Bayern final at Wembley again would be amazing.
I’d much prefer Madrid-PSG. Better game for neutrals. Mbappe and Vinicius can be a joy to watch. Wasn’t that impressed with Bayern against Arsenal.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
England looking unlikely to get that fifth cl seat

The-Mezzala

Absolutely buzzing, those cheats are out. A City V PSG final would of been a tough watch. There atmosphere has to be the worst in Europe by a mile. Cant wait for them to get charged and hopefully relegated.

Last edited:

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Aside from the first 25 minutes, City were very dominant in possession, but I was impressed with Madrid defensively as they only conceded a couple of clear cut chances. Kudos to Nacho who stepped up, despite being effectively their 4th choice CB now. I thought he had a very good game along with Rudiger, but Militao returning is still potentially huge for them.

I’m curious about Madrid’s tactics though as I can’t imagine it was the plan to concede THAT much possession to City. They seemed to play very cautiously and there were long periods where they barely entered the City half and didn’t utilise their rapid pace upfront very effectively. I also think Ancelotti should have subbed Kronos off 20 minutes earlier. He wasn’t having his best game.

Antarion

Really? Inter Milan last year? Bang average Chelsea side won it 3 years ago.
Inter also came to my mind. They were chanceless in the group stage against bayern home and away and then made their way to the final in some italian encounters iirc. Despite their dominance in the league, they looked very average in europe

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inter also came to my mind. They were chanceless in the group stage against bayern home and away and then made their way to the final in some italian encounters iirc. Despite their dominance in the league, they looked very average in europe
They played City off the park in the final and if they had literally anyone other than Lukaku up top would have probably beaten them too

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also think Ancelotti should have subbed Kronos off 20 minutes earlier. He wasn’t having his best game.
City were great honestly. And Ancelotti doesn't coach a good pressing scheme, and when City are on like yesterday you just don't take the ball off them...also Kroos and Carvajal can be very weak links and we don't really have great defensive midfielders in general

As for the sub - Ancelotti waited for extra time. Modric was huge after he came on, but he doesn't have more than 30 minutes at this intensity anymore...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I personally dont think he is, but the carry on has already started among the media and in particular social media. Whether we like it or not, he wont be able to escape the fact he went to a side that has dominated the league for 11 years and then finishes 2nd the year he arrived.

It is just a sad fact of football
You're right, it's the weird world we live in where "context" is a foreign concept.