Champions League — quarter-finals and semi-finals draw

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We seem to have a good relationship with Madrid and there fans. There fans was at OT before they played city wasn't they

Chipper

Adulterer.
Is there anyone out there now who doesn't want Dortmund to win it?
I don't really get into it once United are out so I'm not too arsed. Didn't watch either of Tuesday's matches and only stuck City on yesterday when Real were still 1-0 up after about an hour, aiming to watch City go out.

My main thought was that I don't want PSG to win it. Suppose Dortmund would be the nicest outcome but I probably won't watch any of it now.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
It certainly is. Congratulations. Think you’ll face PSG in the final.
We’ll see, none of the favorites went through so who knows. Tuchel could come up with some masterclass. Bayern will be a 50-50 I think, small margins.

I do think PSG will reach the final.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’ll see, none of the favorites went through so who knows. Tuchel could come up with some masterclass. Bayern will be a 50-50 I think, small margins.

I do think PSG will reach the final.
Bayern didn’t impress me against Arsenal, was lucky to draw at Emirates and even at home they didn’t look great.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I liked Dortmund back in the day. They were lovely to watch under Klopp and had that underdog story going for them after that too. But since the Sancho saga and their bitterness over it, I’m pretty meh about them. Tbh they also won’t win it because they simply aren’t good enough. I’m not fussed about who wins it from here. No terrible or great option.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
First time I have heard someone criticise how City play, but Alan Brazil did on Talksport this morning. Said they overplay. That Haaland needs to vary his game a bit more. Sometimes they need to just get a cross in and someone try to get on the end of it.
Im with Scanny here, watching City is as boring as the MMA fights that are 15 mins of only Jiu-jitsu ( no offense to the fans). It is a fair strategy, and I wish we could pass it with such precision but so repetitive that the whole stadium is asleep.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Im with Scanny here, watching City is as boring as the MMA fights that are 15 mins of only Jiu-jitsu ( no offense to the fans). It is a fair strategy, and I wish we could pass it with such precision but so repetitive that the whole stadium is asleep.
Don't mind possession of the ball, but not just possession for possessions sake. You have to have a plan in place to mix it up when needed. Their play can be great against some teams, unfortunately I will bring up us, who give them time and space.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pepball did way more damage to the game than any hoofball coach ever did.
It has really. Coaches obsessed with their defenders playing like midfielders. Goalkeepers trying to play like Beckenbauer. Hoofball isn't great but that is what it is and is harmless. Pepball has given some coaches delusions of grandeur.

UTD_Since_1978

It's very rare I cheer on Real Madrid but I did against City & thankfully Madrid beat them, so no back to back trebles for City. :lol:

Rojofiam

No, because it would somehow mean that Sancho was right, and ETH was wrong to exile him, according to idiots...and there are a lot of them.

Similar to how Ronaldo fans think that he has somehow been proven right as ETH is struggling, and Ronaldo is farming the camel league.

Red4ever27

City bore me to tears. Don’t watch them anymore.
I have become the same. They are technically brilliant and the football very effective, passing, movement etc, but you know what you're getting every game. It's just so blah. I don't remember United ever being so boring in our dominant period. May be it's the lack of competition in the Premier league nowadays compared to back then

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Why was he being so weird? Pissed or on something?

Don't get me wrong, he can be a bit loud or eccentric from the times I've seen him but what the feck was that?
I'm sure he's being encouraged to do that as well. It's US television, entertainment is more important than actual analysis.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It has really. Coaches obsessed with their defenders playing like midfielders. Goalkeepers trying to play like Beckenbauer. Hoofball isn't great but that is what it is and is harmless. Pepball has given some coaches delusions of grandeur.
Absolutely loving it :drool:

Stig

I think Kanate is worse than any of our centre backs

Slow and utterly useless with the ball.

Maureen-yo

Good question. I’m not even sure. If they finished 5th and won that then they’d be in the Europa wouldn’t they. So I’d imagine either the next position in the table gets Europa or nothing happens.
Yeah it’s confusing, so if Villa win the Europa conference and also finish 5th, I presume the league qualifications for Europa league rolls down to 6th and 7th (rather than 5th and 6th). God knows tbh

MrWilliams

You skip over Bayern and Dortmund to wish Madrid another CL to distance themselves further?
No one is getting close to Real Madrid anytime soon in terms of UCL titles. Rather they pull further ahead than others (PSG, Dortmund) get closer to United.

Redivy

Absolutely bonkers post.

Legacy of a guy who won the world cup and scored a hat trick in another final will be affected by signing for Real Madrid instead of staying at plucky minnows PSG.
Re read the post.

You can disagree with it but that will be the narrative IFFFFF PSG lose to Madrid in the final. And he makes the move straight after.

Mbappe should have made the move years ago, and he should absolutely make the move this year. It won't change the fact that there will be a narrative regarding him not being good enough to beat them so he joined them.

Imagine if Ronaldo never won the UCL in 08 and then joined Barca after they beat us in 09.

Last edited:

Redivy

But if he gets to the final and he’s the reason they win it then it’s a different story. He’s a PSG player so will want to go out with the biggest trophy and then next year he’ll want the same for Madrid.
100%

If he wins the UCL on his way out, then that only adds to his reputation as the best player of his generation. Messi and Neymar leave and then Mbappe wins the biggest trophy for his hometown club. Thats huge for him.

Redivy

It's hard to tell whether that's the majority now or the sensible ones still outweigh them. After all the dumbest are usually the loudest.

Bayern haven't been near their best for a while, and should've lost the Bundesliga last season too until Dortmund inexplicably fecked up. But that gets forgotten because "lolz kane"
From my personal experience, the majority of hardcore football supporters typically are the most sensible, but unfortunately "casual" supporters are the majority and typically they don't take into account context when discussing football. Its very black or white for most people.

Kane is the best striker in the world and will most likely leave Germany with a few Bundesliga titles and Bayern is my tip for the UCL this year anyway.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But if he gets to the final and he’s the reason they win it then it’s a different story. He’s a PSG player so will want to go out with the biggest trophy and then next year he’ll want the same for Madrid.
Of course he wants to win it. The idea that there would be any dilemma from his side / on what will be the best outcome for him, makes no sense.

erikcred

Re read the post.

You can disagree with it but that will be the narrative IFFFFF PSG lose to Madrid in the final. And he makes the move straight after.

Mbappe should have made the move years ago, and he should absolutely make the move this year. It won't change the fact that there will be a narrative regarding him not being good enough to beat them so he joined them.

Imagine if Ronaldo never won the UCL in 08 and then joined Barca after they beat us in 09.
Of course, I understand that that'll be the narrative in your own little head. No disagreements there.

No one else in the world will be thinking he joined Real Madrid because he couldn't beat them.

They'll be thinking -- "Look at that. One of the best players in the world decided a while ago, to join the biggest club in the world. Coincidentally, he ended up playing his final CL game for his current club against his future club. Let me remember that for a pub quiz."

Redivy

Of course, I understand that that'll be the narrative in your own little head. No disagreements there.

No one else in the world will be thinking he joined Real Madrid because he couldn't beat them.

They'll be thinking -- "Look at that. One of the best players in the world decided a while ago, to join the biggest club in the world. Coincidentally, he ended up playing his final CL game for his current club against his future club. Let me remember that for a pub quiz."
There is no need to get emotional/personal about an opinion that doesn’t align with yours.

I guess we will find out what the general consensus will be in a couple of weeks time.