Champions League & Europa League Semi Final Draw

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I think Bayern will get past Barca.

Barca haven't looked particularly great in Europe this season, especially away, plus they are vulnerable to Bayerns style.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Bayern - Real as a final would be great. It's long overdue. It's the most played european tie in the history of the tournament, Real has been to 12 CL finals, Bayern to 9 (that's 21 out of 57 finals), but they never met in the final. About time.
Yea. Wouldn't mind it. I don't care much how these ties play out but if I had to choose I'd want a German team vs. a Spanish one in the final. All teams are well capable of winning this thing at this point and I think they'll all be deserving of it.

I only hope it will be entertaining. The CL has been that this season for the most part, bar United games :/

Inspectah deck

I wasn't talking about "better". Bayern now has totally different qualities than Inter 2010 or United 2007-09 and should play Barca in a different way, imo. Bayern can't defend deep like United in 2008 or Inter in 2010.
The United team of the 09 final didn't cede possession and counter like Madrid does or Inter did at all. They actually had a go, just lacked ideas in the final third. If I remember correctly, Barcelona's lowest possession in 5 years was in that game, 52% or something.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For their amazing consistency in recent years, Bayern deserve to win it but we all know "deserve" means feck all tbh.Unlike last time they faced Barca (I'm not mistaken it was in 09), Bayern will feel confident about their chances more than ever before.There is no favorite in that tie

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
A lot of respect for both Dortmund & Bayern so the tie was going to be tough either way. Particularly because Barcelona have been decimated by defensive injuries - it clearly makes them more vulnerable this season, IMHO

2nd leg at Camp Nou is an advantage but I scarcely believe it will factor heavily into the tie. Bayern fear no one so a positive result at Allianz would go a long ways to reaching the final, obviously

Truth is, Bayern are strong all over the park and will be extremely difficult to breakdown I feel. Messi's recovery will play a big factor in that. For Barcelona, per usual (Loop it for years now), it'll come down to the defense

I'm sure Bayern and their fans have a healthy dose of respect for Barcelona but I don't equate that with fear or lack of confidence. I just think it means they will be uber focused and it will force Barcelona to play like they did against Milan at Camp Nou, in both legs, to have a chance in this tie. High pressing along with our midfield winning balls is the only way Barcelona reaches the final, IMHO. That and a solid (Doesn't need to be epic) performance from our defense along with a healthy Leo

Was my preferred matchup for the Final because these two clubs represent the best football in Europe, IMHO. A worthy adversary and winning against them would mean Barcelona were punching their weight and not underperforming. There would be no shame in losing to Bayern either but Barcelona had better show their quality and force the Germans to earn a trip to the Final

These are the sort of ties where we'll see if Tito can do a Pep and have this team execute to the level they will have to and are capable of in order to advance. Anything less and he's going to continue to remain in his partner's shadow

redevil2

I think neither the German teams will fear the two Spanish teams. They are Germans and will just focus on their own preparation and fear factors will pay little or no part in their play. A Germans final anyone?!

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
There are also question marks about whether they can get to that next step and win and be a dominant force over many years.

Same as the German national side really. People rave about them in tournaments and rightly so, but they've both fallen at the last fence many times in recent years, just when you think they are going to do it.
Spain all over again if you ask me.

Devil may care

Platini's wet dream final is still on I see. Personally hoping for an all German final, I'd love Dortmund to win the whole thing but Bayern seem the more likely to be able to stop the Spanish duo.

As for the Europa League, Chelsea are favourites I'd say but I wouldn't mind a Benfica win.

Cevno

Barca to get past Bayern.

Real to get past Dortmund.

Real to win the whole thing.

NoLogo

Bayern will beat Barca and Real will beat Dortmund I think.

Barca just seems to mistake prone at the back this season and only barely got past PSG and Bayern is imo stronger than PSG.

Real is in better form than during the group stages so I think they will this time have the upper hand, especially because Dortmund, despite their late second winner showed their nerves aren't the best and they are just missing experience at this stage of a competition.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern will beat Barca and Real will beat Dortmund I think.

Barca just seems to mistake prone at the back this season and only barely got past PSG and Bayern is imo stronger than PSG.

Real is in better form than during the group stages so I think they will this time have the upper hand, especially because Dortmund, despite their late second winner showed their nerves aren't the best and they are just missing experience at this stage of a competition.
I think Dortmund's problem was that (after their missed chances in the first leg) it was their game to lose. The games against Real however are just the cherry on top: nothing to lose everything to win. I think nerves/experience will only come into play if Dortmund manage to actually be ahead in the final minutes in Madrid.

Jaap

@ Balu

This year, with Bayern's new tactical set up, they have not played any team that has tried to attack them from the start.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@ Balu

This year, with Bayern's new tactical set up, they have not played any team that has tried to attack them from the start.
Juve clearly tried in the first leg in the first 15minutes. They were then destroyed by Bayern's pressing though. Same goes for the first leg vs Arsenal, imo. Not all out attack like Barca of course, but they weren't sitting deep. If I remember correctly in both games possession stats were even at half time.

Jaap

Juve clearly tried in the first leg in the first 15minutes. They were then destroyed by Bayern's pressing though. Same goes for the first leg vs Arsenal, imo. Not all out attack like Barca of course, but they weren't sitting deep.
Barcelona's passing is far superior and Juventus' lack of a great striker up front stopped them from having a real go at Bayern's defense, IMO.
If I remember correctly in both games possession stats were even at half time.
Now compare that to Barcelona's usual possession during games, which is on average 66,6% at home and even 68,6% in away games.

How do you think Bayern will try to contain Messi?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think Dortmund's problem was that (after their missed chances in the first leg) it was their game to lose. The games against Real however are just the cherry on top: nothing to lose everything to win. I think nerves/experience will only come into play if Dortmund manage to actually be ahead in the final minutes in Madrid.
Exactly, no one expected Dortmund to do this well after a very poor campaign last season when they ended up 4th in a rather average group with Arsenal, Marseille and Olympiakos. Pressure will be off against Madrid which will work in their favour, especially as for Madrid another semi-final elimination will be a disaster.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Barcelona's passing is far superior and Juventus' lack of a great striker up front stopped them from having a real go at Bayern's defense, IMO.

Now compare that to Barcelona's usual possession during games, which is on average 66,6% at home and even 68,6% in away games.

How do you think Bayern will try to contain Messi?
So what you're saying is, Bayern haven't played Barca this season. That's it. No other team comes close in those points. Why talk about inexperience against attacking teams in general when some of the best attacking teams in europe didn't threaten Bayern that much. I agree that Bayern will have problems containing Messi, just like any other team in the world. But that's because of Barca's quality upfront and not because of a weird theory that Bayern lacks experience against attacking teams.

Do you think Barca will have 66% possession against the second best possession team in the world? I highly doubt it. They won't have so much of the ball and their pressing won't be as effective as for example against Milan in the return leg. We all know Barca on a great day can give anyone a beating. But so can Bayern. Maybe we'll see an insane amount of goals for a semi final, if Bayern can't find a way to contain Messi, because I'm sure Bayern will score against Barca's defense. That's Barca's weak link and Bayern will attack it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Shaping up to be two great semifinals. Last years Liga and Bundesliga champions and this years and all the teams look like they'll be in form.

Barcelona and Real Madrid both won 0-3 today.
Whereas yesterday Dortmund won 1-6 and Bayern won 4-0

The ties look absolutely wide open.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
A few sarcastic comments about Barca playing their second leg at home again?

When we won it in 2008, we had played the second leg at home in all three knock out rounds, the semi final against Barca included :)

In 2011, on our road to the final, we also played all three knock out rounds away first :eek:

The Barca bitterness on here is lawlzies...

I'll bet at the time the same type of comments and groans were being uttered by bitter Liverpool/City fans. Mirror mirror on the wand...

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Also, not to mention that Barca will probably playing a Barca with at least half of their First XI over both legs, so, even though they have Messi, Barca are clearly the underdogs. Secondly, I would love to see how other teams play with half of their first XI out through injuries.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Also, not to mention that Barca will probably playing a Barca with at least half of their First XI over both legs, so, even though they have Messi, Barca are clearly the underdogs. Secondly, I would love to see how other teams play with half of their first XI out through injuries.
Are you serious?

By the way Bayern are missing Kroos, Badstuber to injuries as well and Mandzukic is out because of a joke of a yellow card in the last game.

Who's missing for Barca besides Puyol? Valdes, Alves, Pique, Alba, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Messi, Pedro/Sanchez are all available if I'm not mistaken?

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Are you serious?

By the way Bayern are missing Kroos, Badstuber to injuries as well and Mandzukic is out because of a joke of a yellow card in the last game.

Who's missing for Barca besides Puyol? Valdes, Alves, Pique, Alba, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Messi, Pedro/Sanchez are all available if I'm not mistaken?
Busquets will be coming back soon after having a hernia problem, and he is vital to Barcelona. Pique is having a terrible season as far as I know, the least said about Mascherano and Song the better, and Messi does have an injury, which could take time to heal if he doesn't rest.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care who wins, it could be Bayern, Dortmund or Barcelona, as long as it is not Real Madrid.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Busquets will be coming back soon after having a hernia problem, and he is vital to Barcelona. Pique is having a terrible season as far as I know, the least said about Mascherano and Song the better, and Messi does have an injury, which could take time to heal if he doesn't rest.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care who wins, it could be Bayern, Dortmund or Barcelona, as long as it is not Real Madrid.
So players have a few injuries but play through it? Nothing new or special about it. And Barca's problems with center backs are their own fault. No top team is stupid enough to go into a season without at least 3 if not 4 quality options available. Bayern were missing at least one center back, often enough two, all season.

Barca are still favorites in the game and they won't miss half their first eleven over both legs. They'll probably miss less first eleven players than Bayern in the first leg.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Weakest areas for both Bayern & Barcelona are the center of defense of which Barcelona are suffering from injuries to 3 of their main CBs - Puyol, Mascherano & Abidal

Kroos & Mandzukic are tough losses but at least there is ample depth in both the midfield & forward line for you lot. Bayern are spoiled with their depth & RM like in their squad size. Few clubs enjoy that sort of luxury

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Weakest areas for both Bayern & Barcelona are the center of defense of which Barcelona are suffering from injuries to 3 of their main CBs - Puyol, Mascherano & Abidal

Kroos & Mandzukic are tough losses but at least there is ample depth in both the midfield & forward line for you lot. Bayern are spoiled with their depth & RM like in their squad size. Few clubs enjoy that sort of luxury
That doesn't contradict the point that Barca aren't missing half their first eleven and are clearly underdogs because of that. That's what Proud_Lyon was saying and that's nonsense in my opinion.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
RM with the easier draw...again. And 2nd leg at home. Shocker.
Same that got the weakest team in the quarters & semis, yes
:lol:

God you don't half talk some embarassing shit. You'd think you support Stoke or something. Madrid came from a group that had Dortumund, City and Ajax, compared to Barcelona's group consistenting of Spartak Moskva, Benfica and Celtic. Followed by Madrid playing Manchester United in the next round and Dortumund after, the team that topped their group in the semi's....yet you're trying to insinuate they get given easy fixtures or something equally retarded?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Did Ajax or City do well in any European competition? Celtic advanced to the Round of 16 and Benfica are now in the semis of Europa.

The rest stands, group stage is not the same as knockout phase. You face a tough opponent in Group stage or even lose, you're still in it if you take care of the weaker opponents. Plus, let's face it, United were hosed in the Round of 16 against RM.

I'm saying that in each knockout round, the got the weakest team. In the Round of 16, they were group runner ups so they were going to have to face a group winner. From there, objectively, easiest in both QFs and SFs - unless you disagree

Also, worth noting that my initial response was more tongue in cheek to the previous poster