Champions League | Matchday 6

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern should have scored at least 6, maybe 8. At times it felt like they didn't want to embarras Barca again.
As a Bayern fan. I feel some sympathy for Barcelona and see them as a friendly club. Madrid is the club I hate and wished they were the ones getting battered by us.

I feel bad seeing Pique mopped on the floor once again. He must have PTSD playing Bayern

Barcelona vs Bayern last 6 games
Bayern 4 Barcelona 0
Bayern 3 Barcelona 0
Barcelona 3 Bayern 0
Bayern 3 Barcelona 2
Bayern 8 Barcelona 2
Bayern 3 Barcelona 0

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We won't know if it's a good result for us or not until later after more matches have been played, it could turn out to be a bad result for us in the end as it could send them both through at our expense.
It's a good result means no one is running away. YB won't win against Atalanta or Villarreal at home

Andrew7582

It's a good result means no one is running away. YB won't win against Atalanta or Villarreal at home
Just because no team appears to be ''running away'' after match day one that doesn't mean that the draw between Villareal and Atalanta will turn out to be good for us when the group games are completed, your logic is flawed. That point for those two sides could ultimately send them both through at our expense, whereas one of them losing the game could have allowed us to nick second. If you still don't get it I am not going to waste any more time explaining.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As a Bayern fan. I feel some sympathy for Barcelona and see them as a friendly club. Madrid is the club I hate and wished they were the ones getting battered by us.

I feel bad seeing Pique mopped on the floor once again. He must have PTSD playing Bayern

Bayern 4 Barcelona 0
Bayern 3 Barcelona 0
Barcelona 3 Bayern 0
Bayern 3 Barcelona 2
Bayern 8 Barcelona 2
Bayern 3 Barcelona 0
To be fair this Bartemeu screwed Barcelona team is a shadow of what it once was. Even PSG hammered them last year in the away leg. So your current team against this version of them was always going to be a cakewalk.

The 3-0/4-0s in your treble year were interesting as it seemed to be the year Barcelona finally dropped a level after incredible highs (and Messi's injury). Combined with Bayern being brilliant that year.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Well today is the day !

Sporting vs Ajax in a battle between two of the top academies in world football

I expect a really exciting game with a lot of talent on display.

It is a shame Sporting will be without Sebastian Coates the MVP of last season along with Pedro Gonçalves due to injury. Matheus Nunes suffers a knock last game so he might be out as well.

Still a host of talent on display with Inacio, Porro, Palhinha , Braganca possibly as well.

Ajax need no introduction they have a very talented team with CL experience and I expect an even game.

PS: I expect this whole forum to be rooting for Sporting tomorrow as our clubs are or should be friends :D:wenger::devil:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I know Messi's not responsible for the terrible spending and economical harships of the Club, but it's sad he left the team when they need him the most. Even if they weren't able to pay the 50% of his wages, he surely could have stayed and lead.
I mean, we are flogging a dead horse, but he couldn’t stay due to some interesting clauses in their FA statutes. Such as that all players have to be paid at least 50% of their former salary. Combined with the enforced salary cap Barca couldn’t sign Messi.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, we are flogging a dead horse, but he couldn’t stay due to some interesting clauses in their FA statutes. Such as that all players have to be paid at least 50% of their former salary. Combined with the enforced salary cap Barca couldn’t sign Messi.
More than that, it made little sense to do it. They needed a fresh start, a full on rebuild, which they couldn't do while paying Messi's wages

Messi was on the pitch for the 8-2

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
More than that, it made little sense to do it. They needed a fresh start, a full on rebuild, which they couldn't do while paying Messi's wages

Messi was on the pitch for the 8-2
I agree and they should obviously have sold Messi last summer. I just wanted to point out that keeping Messi for this season wasn’t even a viable option.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München

Bayern 4 Barcelona 0
Bayern 3 Barcelona 0
Barcelona 3 Bayern 0
Bayern 3 Barcelona 2
Bayern 8 Barcelona 2
Bayern 3 Barcelona 0
also, somewhat related:

Bayerns CL record for the last 20 games:

18 W 1 D 1 L
73:18 goals
The game they lost they had 31:6 shots.

it is obvious the Bundesliga is farmers league..
(Could also have posted this in one of the 20 threads where everyone agrees Kane>Lewa)

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
also, somewhat related:

18 W 1 D 1 L

(Could also have posted this in one of the 20 threads where everyone agrees Kane>Lewa)
these posts ooze inferiority complex

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
also, somewhat related:

18 W 1 D 1 L

Which threads are these? From what I have seen in "Best striker" thread, everyone named Lewa as #1. In Ballon d'or almost everyone had him as #1 or #2. Looks like too much sand for some odd reason.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
also, somewhat related:

18 W 1 D 1 L

Barcelona had 0 shots on target all game. Bottom Bundesliga teams put up more fight. Playing Barcelona is almost like playing those London clubs like Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal who just bend down to get destroyed

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Barcelona had 0 shots on target all game. Bottom Bundesliga teams put up more fight. Playing Barcelona is almost like playing those London clubs like Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal who just bend down to get destroyed
How dare you lump the European Champions in with Spurs and Arsenal.

Your punishment is to watch this ten times...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How dare you lump the European Champions in with Spurs and Arsenal.

Your punishment is to watch this ten times...

Well you have to admit Lampard got schooled by Bayern the last time they met. Obviously Chelsea is a much different beast now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I know Messi's not responsible for the terrible spending and economical harships of the Club, but it's sad he left the team when they need him the most. Even if they weren't able to pay the 50% of his wages, he surely could have stayed and lead.
There was literally no way he could’ve stayed. Even if he offered to play for free. Barca were way over the cap and in Spain you cant take more than a 50% salary reduction from your previous contract. There was literally nothing that could be done in regards to him staying, which he wanted to as well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There was literally no way he could’ve stayed. Even if he offered to play for free. Barca were way over the cap and in Spain you cant take more than a 50% salary reduction from your previous contract. There was literally nothing that could be done in regards to him staying, which he wanted to as well.
Is there a reason behind the 50% reduction limit ?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Is there a reason behind the 50% reduction limit ?
It’s Spanish law and in their words:

Spanish law requires any new contract to be a minimum of 50 per cent of a player's previous wage in a bid to "avoid financial manipulation."

Hoof the ball

Yep. Barca were at 95% wage expenditure even without Messi, weren't they? A functioning team operates at 70-75% wage expenditure. The issue was contracts issued across the board of the entire squad. Messi's wages contributed, but to such minor effect that it's like the captain choosing to remain with the Titanic. Even if he did, the boat is still going to sink.

Still, Fati back soon, right?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
League is different from CL, and barcelona are already low on morale given their situation. They could have had a go, and gotten pummeled because Bayern would have taken them more seriously, which would have been pretty bad for their psyche

Of course, the fact they still got pummeled anyways means ultimately they might have been better off having a go :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
League is different from CL, and barcelona are already low on morale given their situation. They could have had a go, and gotten pummeled because Bayern would have taken them more seriously, which would have been pretty bad for their psyche

Of course, the fact they still got pummeled anyways means ultimately they might have been better off having a go :lol:
I believe going for goals and being battered 2-5 or something line that with a young team would be psychologically better than what we witnessed.

At least trying to win and realising that you at least occasionally can break through them would give you something to improve on. Yesterday has no positive experiences and moments at all for the Barca squad.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yep. Barca were at 95% wage expenditure even without Messi, weren't they? A functioning team operates at 70-75% wage expenditure. The issue was contracts issued across the board of the entire squad. Messi's wages contributed, but to such minor effect that it's like the captain choosing to remain with the Titanic. Even if he did, the boat is still going to sink.

Still, Fati back soon, right?
Yes sir, back to training thank goodness. Luuk De Jong was such a disaster the other night :lol:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Both of the 18:45 fixtures kinda suck.

Wishing Liverpool - AC Milan and RM - Inter were on separate slots. Both sound fun and can hopefully wash away yesterday.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Had no idea Pjanic had been fecked off to Besiktas on loan until I saw their lineup.

His stock has fallen so far so fast it's incredible. Especially for a player who doesn't rely on physicality at all at age 31.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
Had no idea Pjanic had been fecked off to Besiktas on loan until I saw their lineup.

His stock has fallen so far so fast it's incredible. Especially for a player who doesn't rely on physicality at all at age 31.
One of the symptoms of Barcelonas failure
Traded Arthur for Pjanic. Barcelona didnt use Pjanic and had to send to Besiktas

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
One of the symptoms of Barcelonas failure
Traded Arthur for Pjanic. Barcelona didnt use Pjanic and had to send to Besiktas
Yeah, that deal was pretty clearly a balance sheet decision, but it doesn't reflect well on him that Juve were happy to use him as a makeweight for that in the first place, or that no club of a level higher than Besiktas were in for him when Barca wanted to get rid.

Deery

Dreary

You could say it’s Pjanic Stations, for him..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I believe going for goals and being battered 2-5 or something line that with a young team would be psychologically better than what we witnessed.

At least trying to win and realising that you at least occasionally can break through them would give you something to improve on. Yesterday has no positive experiences and moments at all for the Barca squad.
The fear was of another 8-2 though. And given who they were starting up top, not that unlikely

A second 8-2 would have been the end of them. Koeman has to be sacked immediately, De Jong is likely gone at the end of the season, Busquets and Pique are finished, Alba too, and you put a devastating, traumatic humiliation on the shoulders of young players like Pedri and Araujo and Garcia who are supposed to be your future...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I love these super attacking lineups. :drool:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The fear was of another 8-2 though. And given who they were starting up top, not that unlikely

A second 8-2 would have been the end of them. Koeman has to be sacked immediately, De Jong is likely gone at the end of the season, Busquets and Pique are finished, Alba too, and you put a devastating, traumatic humiliation on the shoulders of young players like Pedri and Araujo and Garcia who are supposed to be your future...
When Barcelona at home acts more cowardly then Cologne away against Bayern, then Barcelona is in real trouble.

I don't disagree though, I just think it emphasizes how bad they are now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
When Barcelona at home acts more cowardly then Cologne away against Bayern, then Barcelona is in real trouble.

I don't disagree though, I just think it emphasizes how bad they are now.
Don't think they planned this tbf. I think they went cautious because they knew they couldn't try going face to face with them, they wanted to keep the game tight and close and give themselves a chance....and it took 15 minutes for both to realize they could play 3 weeks and barcelona would never come close to scoring. At which point, Bayern went on autopilot and barcelona switched to survival. They are not very good at it though :D

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not impressed with what I've seen from Dortmund so far this season. Bellingham though :drool: