Champions League Quarter Finals (3rd - 11th April)

Bobski

Losing Coman really hurt us, there’s rumours he’s back in time for the semis though. With the addition of Neuer, that should be a different team altogether. Currently, we would rely on sheer will and determination to make it to the finals. That’s possible, but not something I would want to rely on.

Ribery was yet again very good again today though. Sublime assist.
Would Coman come in for Muller? That injection of pace would really help Bayern, they are a little one paced in their attacking play. Ribery was very good, such a classy player but you really can't have both he and Robben on the pitch at the same time anymore against the top teams. Vidal lasted longer tonight than I thought he would, there was a shot very early on of Muller gesturing to the bench that there was a problem with him.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Is it just me or does anyone else reckon a United player would have fecked up that Marcelo finish?

Obviously they'd have put that Ronnie chance away no trouble...

Loublaze

ATLien
What an misjudgment from Chiellini in the lead up to Real's second. If Smalling did that though :lol:

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Did you scour the whole thread looking for any anti-German/Bayern posts? :lol:
No, replied to it two minutes after it was posted already because I thought it was a ridiculous thing to say 30 minutes into the first leg. Because even if both Leipzig and us went out now, there have been far worse times. I still remember 2003-2008.

Just wanted to quote it again because now it’s even more ridiculous.

izec

What an misjudgment from Chiellini in the lead up to Real's second. If Smalling did that though :lol:
Chiellini is on a clear decline. He also is a deserved player and saved Italy and Juve so many times. Smalling has almost done nothing and is 28 years already. Mentioning them in the same sentence is typical caf though.

Bobski

Didn't see the game but just looking at the Juve line up shows the regression in the last year or 2. They have some rebuilding to start, especially defensively.

Spurs should have knocked Juve out, just did a typical Spurs when they started to think they could win.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Would Coman come in for Muller? That injection of pace would really help Bayern, they are a little one paced in their attacking play. Ribery was very good, such a classy player but you really can't have both he and Robben on the pitch at the same time anymore against the top teams. Vidal lasted longer tonight than I thought he would, there was a shot very early on of Muller gesturing to the bench that there was a problem with him.
Vidal was injured but too proud to admit it. One of the reasons I won’t be sad when he’s gone, he lacks a brain. As for Coman, he would replace Ribery, with Ribery becoming an impact sub. Which is the best role for him these days. Müller played a good first half today so think, he was the most active player out there but yet again it showed that he’s more suited to playing central when we need don’t have to break down defensive teams.

Aurell

Supports
Football
Think Juve are missing Pogba more than I thought.
Or Pirlo, or Pjanic or their best 3-defence. Your choice had to be Pogba...
Sure he could have done something like last year when they went to final.

Personally I thought
- The back front becomes too old, lazy, not decisive anymore (like last year):
Chiellini, Buffon...
- The lack of a deep playmaker like Kroos and Modric were, to organize calmy, break the pressing and initiative the counter was noticeable
- the weakness of the wingees, especially Costa who killed a lot of good attacks penalized them.

Anyway remember me Chiellini, post comments. I guess it's have to become Juventus' story. It's not like if they showed some amazing level against Tottenham. So result predictable.

Sevilla - Bayern was also kind of poor (talking about Sevilla) at the 2nd half and too unbalanced. What disappointing 1/4 final. Hope tomorrow' City-Liver would be funnier.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't buy into the whole "bottling" tag, but can't help but smirk watching Juventus do this at home after seeing Chiellini call Spurs bottlers a few weeks ago. Even Sevilla would have given Real more of a game, results wise.

izec

Glad Real go through, Juve have no business being in the semis. I want Bayern, Real, Barca and City and a proper fight before the WC

adexkola

Supports
If we're talking about Zidane's Real Madrid side as a whole, then aye, there's a reasonable argument to be made. This season is certainly the weakest they've had in a while though, and it feels like a select few results in a competition they've not won yet is largely making people forget that.
I'd say the argument is currently weak, on both the trophy count and dominance shown on the field of play. If Zidane wins a 3rd CL in a row, then of course the argument gets stronger, however the measly 1 La Liga is a major black mark.

Javi

Is it just me or does anyone else reckon a United player would have fecked up that Marcelo finish?
Was pretty random imo wouldn't relate that with anything. That said I find it remarkable that Marcelo - being alone before Buffon - attempted to chip it over the keepers legs and score with a second touch instead of just finshing. Wasn't alone there either. With his technical ability that makes sense I guess.

Javi

I'd say the argument is currently weak, on both the trophy count and dominance shown on the field of play. If Zidane wins a 3rd CL in a row, then of course the argument gets stronger, however the measly 1 La Liga is a major black mark.
The argument is weak if consistency is one of the defining factors of an all-time great team. The football Madrid played in the CL knock outs this year is pretty much on the same level as the two years before imo. If they win again this year then I think 3x CL 1x La Liga in 3 years is pretty even to 3x La Liga, 2x CL in 4 years.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Was pretty random imo wouldn't relate that with anything. That said I find it remarkable that Marcelo - being alone before Buffon - attempted to chip it over the keepers legs and score with a second touch instead of just finshing. Wasn't alone there either. With his technical ability that makes sense I guess.
I could just see Rashford or Martial with their hands on their heads looking foolish after being successfully closed down. I'm not saying it was an easy chance but it struck me as the kind, worked off the cuff and a little opportunistic, we don't thrive on these days.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Didn't see the game but just looking at the Juve line up shows the regression in the last year or 2. They have some rebuilding to start, especially defensively.

Spurs should have knocked Juve out, just did a typical Spurs when they started to think they could win.
They need to take Buffon away to the farm, first and foremost. It's just painful watching him now.

Then maybe cash in on the vastly overrated Alex Sandro and build from there.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Who the hell will stop Madrid in Europe?!
Laugh at it, but I think it will be us. I‘m a bit drunk at this point, but this Bayern team has a sense of determination that was lacking under Pep. I could see us pull a Chelsea light and win on the sheer will on a bunch of guys knowing this is their last chance and their last time in the spotlight.

Javi

I could just see Rashford or Martial with their hands on their heads looking foolish after being successfully closed down. I'm not saying it was an easy chance but it struck me as the kind, worked off the cuff and a little opportunistic, we don't thrive on these days.
Seeing it again it surely wasn't an easy chance to finish because Ronaldos pass actually was a bit steep playing it closer to Buffon therefore reducing the space for Marcelo to get the ball through on goal. Regular chip likely wouldn't elevate as quickly either. Near post was the easiest way imo.

adexkola

Supports
The argument is weak if consistency is one of the defining factors of an all-time great team. The football Madrid played in the CL knock outs this year is pretty much on the same level as the two years before imo. If they win again this year then I think 3x CL 1x La Liga in 3 years is pretty even to 3x La Liga, 2x CL in 4 years.
1. Don't forget the cups
2. 1 CL is not equivalent to 2 league titles
3. Assuming the above was true, and if Real wins their 3rd CL in a row, I still wouldn't rank Real above that Barcelona side.

Javi

1. Don't forget the cups
3. Assuming the above was true, and if Real wins their 3rd CL in a row, I still wouldn't rank Real above that Barcelona side.
1. I say they'd be even title wise.
2. CL > La Liga > Copa del Rey.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
1. Don't forget the cups
Especially since we will look back at that 2008-2014 period as one of the most exquisite periods of football of all time, which just isn’t true about today. We are merely seeing the decline of the teams which defined said period still being superior.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Its amazing how some people here say City would have a field day vs Real Madrid. Who has City won this year? The strongest team they have faced this year in the competition is Napoli. A team who was sent out of the Europa League 2 months ago by RB Leipzig... Basel, Feyenord, Shaaktar? Please!

Its amazing how it seems people don't learn anything. PSG was also walking their league, with a attack that Manchester City could only dream to have (would anyone really compare Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Di Maria and Draxler with Sane, Gabriel, Sterling, De Bruyne and Silva?), and they were the real favourites for almost everyone to win this year the UCL. City wasn't even the 2nd favourite. Then Madrid trashes them and they suddenly became a small team and much worse than City.

Three years ago Pep Guardiola's Bayern Munich (a much better and experiened team than City, who just had won the treble one season before) was also dominating their league with a record of wins and points in Bundesliga, and Madrid won them 5-0 between both legs in the semifinals.

Every year is the same people underestimating Madrid, but to do it now when they have won 3 of the last 4 UCL is pretty delusional.

Who has City won this season? The strongest team they have faced this season is the 2nd place in premier league, Manchester United, that to be realistic it is not one of the hardest teams to play at the moment. An average Manchester United, Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea. Thats it. Neither of them is anywhere near the level of Madrid. Even Barca and Bayern are 3 levels above. Stop the hype please!

Last edited by a moderator:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ronaldo goal was great, fair feck to him.

On the other hand(nothing to do with Ronaldo's goal), Juve must have one of the most overrated crop of defenders ever. People always talk about their defenders, but they have never proved absolutely anything. Chiellini and Barzagli are nothing special for years, I can't remember a game in which they proved a point or saved their goal against any decent attack, and all the goals they conceed are usually mistakes from one of them. Bonucci also turned out to be quite shit when he left them for Milan, and their fullbacks are terrible. I mean, Evra who was done gave them few good years, that's probably everything you need to know about their defence.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Ronaldo goal was great, fair feck to him.

On the other hand(nothing to do with Ronaldo's goal), Juve must have one of the most overrated crop of defenders ever. People always talk about their defenders, but they have never proved absolutely anything. Chiellini and Barzagli are nothing special for years, I can't remember a game in which they proved a point or saved their goal against any decent attack, and all the goals they conceed are usually mistakes from one of them. Bonucci also turned out to be quite shit when he left them for Milan, and their fullbacks are terrible. I mean, Evra who was done gave them few good years, that's probably everything you need to know about their defence.
They still have a great defense. While the individuals are overrated, a defense is more than the sum of its parts. The absolutely useless Barzagli is living proof to to that.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
When did Zidane draw or lose a knock out game in the CL?
Thanks, I should have checked what the reporter said on TV. He said he won every knock out game in the CL.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
At least quote me, not yourself! :D

He also probably meant he never lost a knock out overall. Which isn’t such an amazing feat considering he’s only been a manager for 18 months.
I'm sorry my mistake.

Blackwidow

At least quote me, not yourself! :D

He also probably meant he never lost a knock out overall. Which isn’t such an amazing feat considering he’s only been a manager for 18 months.
It is Heynckes' fourth participation in the Champions League - one with Real Madrid - three with Bayern. He never lost a two leg-tie in the final stage and the only tie he lost was by penalties (the CL final 2012)

Would be fine to send him into pension with this record not changed...

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Chiellini is on a clear decline. He also is a deserved player and saved Italy and Juve so many times. Smalling has almost done nothing and is 28 years already. Mentioning them in the same sentence is typical caf though.
I'm absolutely gutted we didn't draw Juventus but got City instead. We'd have done what Spurs couldn't: put five past their Jurassic defence. In each leg!! Salah would have broken the 50 goal barrier this season. :(

izec

I'm absolutely gutted we didn't draw Juventus but got City instead. We'd have done what Spurs couldn't: put five past their Jurassic defence. In each leg!! Salah would have broken the 50 goal barrier this season. :(
If Salah is that good, you will beat City with ease. Good luck though ;)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Juventus are a much better version of United. And your attack did so well at OT...

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
It is Heynckes' fourth participation in the Champions League - one with Real Madrid - three with Bayern. He never lost a two leg-tie in the final stage and the only tie he lost was by penalties (the CL final 2012)

Would be fine to send him into pension with this record not changed...
I begin to believe we will pull this off, even if it’s the Chelsea way. There’s determination in this squad