Champions League Quarter Finals (3rd - 11th April)

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Fixed that for you.

In case you've forgotten, Real were in crisis mode not so long ago with talks of Zidane being sacked. They're not an all conquering force, though admittedly on a great run so far in the CL.
...... Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 CL's.

We have won 3 in our ENTIRE HISTORY. Please give credit where it's due. They've been the best team in the world for the last 4 years at least. I hate them but you gotta bow down and show respect where it's due.

GBBQ

...... Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 CL's.

We have won 3 in our ENTIRE HISTORY. Please give credit where it's due. They've been the best team in the world for the last 4 years at least. I hate them but you gotta bow down and show respect where it's due.
Ok, thanks for the history lesson but please point out where exactly in my response I was not giving credit? I was stating the obvious; how can you be the best team in the world (his words) if you're not currently the best team in your own league? The league table never lies and they have had patchy form at best.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Ok, thanks for the history lesson but please point out where exactly in my response I was not giving credit? I was stating the obvious; how can you be the best team in the world (his words) if you're not currently the best team in your own league? The league table never lies and they have had patchy form at best.
Cool story, but this is only one year..Madrid have been better every other year. Despite all that, they are still known as the best team in Europe.. and a shoddy league form won't change that.

If Madrid and Barca came face to face in the CL you know what would happen ;)

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I didn't say that Ronaldo would have won the CL for Real on his own.

I stated his contribution in terms of goals is so outrageous that there have been ties which RM ended up winning but would not have without Ronaldo's contribution.

Since 2009 Ronaldo has scored more goals that United or City in the Champions League.

Ramos is a dreadful player by the way. . . a loose cannon. . . sent off how many times again?

25-30?

That you would put him in the same breath as Ronaldo is just a joke frankly.
Without Ramos they don’t win their second La Liga title in the last 8 years, he was easily the one scoring the most late goals to keep them ahead of Barca.

Ronaldo was an absolute ghost in 2014 and 2016 CL Finals, Ramos was the one who got them past the finish line once they got to those finals.

2017 was the first final you could say Ronaldo played well in since 2008.

Loublaze

ATLien
Chiellini is on a clear decline. He also is a deserved player and saved Italy and Juve so many times. Smalling has almost done nothing and is 28 years already. Mentioning them in the same sentence is typical caf though.
Chiellini has had a very good career but my post is merely a dig at those who think there's such a thing as a flawless CB and examples of these are usually mentioned in the Smalling thread (Chiellini included). Smalling hasn't almost done 'nothing', that's a very disingenuous summation of his career/achievements thus far.

Blackwidow

It is all about adaption to the current situation of a competition. Real right now seem to be able to concentrate on a match in which they give their best - but do not have the concentration to play like this in every match. A lot of the league matches against smaller teams with a very good organization you just do not win with 80% and just individual quality - even not the top dogs.

That is why there is no best team in the world...

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

I like that Semedo gets a chance today, Sergi Roberto will be needed to keep the game under control, and Dembele can "explode" it later on, glad of the 11 Valverde is fielding today

cvb

Supports
City
Multiple videos on Twitter of the City players bus being pelted with cans, bottles and a flares upon arrival at Anfield.

Stay classy, Liverpool fans.

Treble

Gundogan for Sterling? Maybe that's a mistake from Guardiola. He wants more control in the middle of the park but Liverpool's defence is there for the taking.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The deadly trio of Fernandinho, Silva and KdB. I think City are one of the best teams in the world with that combination.

GeorgieBoy

Interesting City line-up. Is that 3 at the back then? Also Sterling benched is a sensible idea, I'm sure he'd struggle in a game like this.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely baffling descion not to play Gini Wijnaldum in this game of all games.

txred

This has been asked ad nauseam, but, seriously, who are we rooting for here? I’m tempted to say Liverpool, as surely they don’t stand a chance against Barca, Real, or Bayern. Or am I getting it wrong here?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Absolutely baffling descion not to play Gini Wijnaldum in this game of all games.
He is a world class player at home and a pub player away from home. Strange player, but I agree that he would be good for this game!

Irrational.

Apart from their attack, Liverpool's XI pales in comparison to City's. Klopp can make them compete though.

No idea who I want to win.

GeorgieBoy

This has been asked ad nauseam, but, seriously, who are we rooting for here? I’m tempted to say Liverpool, as surely they don’t stand a chance against Barca, Real, or Bayern. Or am I getting it wrong here?
City for me! I never quite got the argument about wanting Liverpool to progress because 'obviously they'll get knocked out by a better team'.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Sterling not playing is a strange one. I get that he's never really looked that good v Liverpool and maybe let's the occasion get to him but he's been brilliant for City this season.

Suppose he's a good option coming off the bench against tired legs.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
That's such a shit team from Liverpool. No idea how they've gotten this far.

el3mel

Liverpool to win today but City to qualify from the return leg.

Greck

Don't think I'll be truly over our Sevilla loss till both they and Liverpool get knocked out. Then I'll be able to take solace in knowing only teams that are better than us are still standing

Should be an entertaining game! Will pool fans be sticking around here or will you be going to the pool forum?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's such a shit team from Liverpool. No idea how they've gotten this far.
The only position they can strengthen is one in midfield. They are not a particularly great squad, but are somehow doing well in the league, the bench is really poor. They will have to produce a performance like in the league at Anfield. Can they do that twice? They are playing some minnows from the eastern block now.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Neither starting line up is that amazing tbh, yet here they are in the quarters. Credit to the managers.

Canagel

Henderson and Milner.:houllier: Klopp is doing a great job if those two are regular starters in the team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
When it comes to very easy groups and very easy R16 tie, we can't really talk. We bottled it. :(
What does that even mean? Liverpool's group was very easy and their r-16 tie was very easy. Porto don't turn into a world class team just because we lost against Sevilla.

Like we did?
Yes we did have an easy path to the final 8. That is probably why a lot of people were affected by the Sevilla result.