Champions League Quarter Finals (5th - 13th Apr)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Atletico and Real both have games scheduled on the 10th in La Liga, UEFA are going to force La Liga to change their fixtures ? How can one of them play on the 12th too?

I smell a rat...?
They don't schedule games until the week before. The April 10th date basically just means games will be played that weeked right now. So yeah, whoever is playing on the 12th will play on the 9th

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Madrid - City
Liverpool - Bayern

Not taking many risks here... I think we all agree that Madrid-Chelsea is the least sided knock out. I actually think Chelsea should have the edge but Real is always Real and the current situation won't help Chelsea.

I really can’t read this “greatest club side in history” stuff anymore. First of all there’s no guarantee that we would have beaten RM or another team instead. I mean we couldn’t even beat Basel one year later.

Then, Inter and 10-men Chelsea did beat the greatest club side in history after all, so they were not unbeatable.
And don’t get me started on how Chelsea should have already beaten them in 2009 anyway if the referee hadn’t been bought by Barca. So Chelsea could match them and only a few weeks later we couldn’t.

Our peak was 2008, we were in slight decline afterwards and by 2011 we were an average European side. What could have been really doesn’t matter as no one knows.
Don't get me started on that knock out.

There were AT MOST 2 pens forgiven in London... it is laughable even thinking about 5-6 pens. A hint: a player protesting DOES NOT MEAN it is a pen.
Both came after...
- Ridiculous penalty not given at Camp Nou.
- At least a blatant red card (2nd yello to Ashley Cole if I recall correctly). Ballack was forgiven a blatant yellow card at Camp Nou that would have prevented him to play in London. You never had to see him crying and running behind the officer because he basically didn't have to be there, it was a gift to him.
- Ridiculous red card to Abidal for literally not doing a thing. He was sent off and he barely stood like 1.5 meters from the attacker.
Then... yeah! 2 clear pens were not given! what a shame!

Then british (and real madrid) media made the story.

Btw, we were ROBBED in 2011 final against United. Rooney's goal was a clear offside. Nobody remember because it ended up 3-1 but it is what it is.
That Inter knock out was also interesting. Bojan scored the 2nd goal and I'm still waiting for an explanation about why it was ruled out. You won't find any because it was a legal goal that would have given us the next round (i can buy it anyway Motta red card had no explanation, but if they wanted to "help us" they wouldn't rule out a legal goal in injury time).
Chelsea was very very lucky on their 1st Champions League (against us as in the final against Bayern). We were far superior in both legs but we missed like a dozen big chances. I don't think that was indicative on anything. It could have happened against a tier C opponent too, that is why CL is complicated. Being the best team helps but it is far from being any kind of guarantee.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Madrid - City
Liverpool - Bayern

Not taking many risks here... I think we all agree that Madrid-Chelsea is the least sided knock out. I actually think Chelsea should have the edge but Real is always Real and the current situation won't help Chelsea.

There were AT MOST 2 pens forgiven in London... it is laughable even thinking about 5-6 pens. A hint: a player protesting DOES NOT MEAN it is a pen.
Both came after...
- At least a blatant red card (2nd yello to Ashley Cole if I recall correctly). Ballack was forgiven a blatant yellow card at Camp Nou that would have prevented him to play in London. You never had to see him crying and running behind the officer because he basically didn't have to be there, it was a gift to him.
- Ridiculous red card to Abidal for literally not doing a thing. He was sent off and he barely stood like 1.5 meters from the attacker.

Btw, we were ROBBED in 2011 final against United. Rooney's goal was a clear offside. Nobody remember because it ended up 3-1 but it is what it is.
That Inter knock out was also interesting. Bojan scored the 2nd goal and I'm still waiting for an explanation about why it was ruled out. You won't find any because it was a legal goal that would have given us the next round (i can buy it anyway Motta red card had no explanation, but if they wanted to "help us" they wouldn't rule out a legal goal in injury time).
Chelsea was very very lucky on their 1st Champions League (against us as in the final against Bayern). We were far superior in both legs but we missed like a dozen big chances. I don't think that was indicative on anything. It could have happened against a tier C opponent too, that is why CL is complicated. Being the best team helps but it is far from being any kind of guarantee.
:o

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Madrid - City
Liverpool - Bayern

Both came after...

This guy likes his drugs.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Liverpool and City are the two best sides in the competition and they’re probably going to contest the final. Even if someone beats one of them, they won’t be able to follow it up by beating the other. So, yeah, happy summer, everybody!

JackRowley

I really hate to say it, but Liverpool will win all four comps, far the best team, their squad depth is better now, with a front of Jota, Mane, Salah, Diaz, Firmino, Original, Minimo to choose from.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Those complaining about easy draws for any side are wide of the mark.
If the draw was seeded it would have worked out something like this with the strongest teams clashing in the semis and the final.
Pool had a tough group but now are getting a bit of fortune before likely having more problems in semi and final if they progress.
City face the team that find a way to win against opposition with more stars then either the team that beat them in the Final last season or the most successful team in the history of the competition should they progress.
Also Chelsea should they potentially beat Real then City then Pool or Bayern without fans at home games bloody well deserve it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Glad to get the second leg at home now that it's been swapped - overall I feel confident vs. Real but especially against PSG it's evident how valuable hosting the second leg is. Personally don't think there's any chance Real manage that comeback in Paris (and obviously yes, this assumes they'd be as cagey in the first leg at home as they were).

RoyH1

Glad to get the second leg at home now that it's been swapped - overall I feel confident vs. Real but especially against PSG it's evident how valuable hosting the second leg is. Personally don't think there's any chance Real manage that comeback in Paris (and obviously yes, this assumes they'd be as cagey in the first leg at home as they were).
Mmh, the second leg is in Madrid?
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2034659--real-madrid-vs-chelsea/

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh well shit, so much for all that I posted then! Hadn't seen the update that the first reversal had been reversed back!
The first reversal never happened in the first place. Apparently the journalist releasing the news got it wrong since the beginning and when he noticed the mistake he deleted the original twit.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The first reversal never happened in the first place. Apparently the journalist releasing the news got it wrong since the beginning and when he noticed the mistake he deleted the original twit.
Hah appreciate the clarification mate - serves me right for being online for only that specific 15 minute stretch this afternoon!

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Yeah, I see Chelsea as a bad match up for Real. I mean if you're doing a combined XI who of Real makes it into Chelsea's side? Benzs, Alaba (if at LB/LWB) and Tibo (although I would have him on par with Mendy.)
Vinicius definitely starts for Chelsea
Chelsea's attacking line is borderline comedic for a top side

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Vinicius definitely starts for Chelsea
Chelsea's attacking line is borderline comedic for a top side
Personally, I do not rate Vinicius and think of him as one of those forwards that looks better than he is because he plays in the strongest team in his league. I am not saying he is a bad player, but rather a decent one who benefits significantly because he is in a team that is significantly stronger than the rest of his league, which means he doesn't have to do the dirty side of the game. I mean seriously, whenever has he stepped up to the plate when it has actually mattered?

As for Chelsea, they do have a problem with finishing, but without Lukaku in the team, their forward line creates a lot of chances. It isn't perfect but it is better than most people would have you believe if you actually watch them and don't rely on stats.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Madrid - City
Liverpool - Bayern

Both came after...

dry your eyes mate

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Both came after...

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Personally, I do not rate Vinicius and think of him as one of those forwards that looks better than he is because he plays in the strongest team in his league. I am not saying he is a bad player, but rather a decent one who benefits significantly because he is in a team that is significantly stronger than the rest of his league, which means he doesn't have to do the dirty side of the game. I mean seriously, whenever has he stepped up to the plate when it has actually mattered?
That's quite probably the most inaccurate definition of Vinicius I have ever seen.

The Vinicius I know about was blowing hot and cold in the past but has been able to step up in several ocassions in spite of his young age (i.e. Atalanta, Barcelona or Liverpool), creates danger in favour of his team rather than benefit from it and is pretty involved in defensive or "dirty" tasks.

It does not make sense to analyze a player of his profile as a picture that has shown most of what he can do already. Rather, he should be seen as a movie that has just started and has barely introduced the main characters. There is plenty more to come.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

As for Chelsea, they do have a problem with finishing, but without Lukaku in the team, their forward line creates a lot of chances. It isn't perfect but it is better than most people would have you believe if you actually watch them and don't rely on stats.
Couldn't disagree more. This has been a breakout year for him and he's become one of the best attacking players in the world. He easily gets into Chelsea's team IMO.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Quarters against Villareal, semis vs Benfica, it could have been much worse for us.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
See you when we’ve knocked you out on the road to Paris. ;)
How confident would you be about the Bayern game?

Liverpool are 60/40 favourites going into the tie probably.

Is Bayern an easier challenge in the CL for Liverpool than City and Chelsea?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

We are simply superb in defensive phase of play so why not much worried about who we have to face.

We are getting into form towards business end won 12 from 13 games in all competition and one is a draw against Liverpool in lc final eventually decided by penalties. Looking forward to see this improved version of real Madrid like many mentioned.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah I think so. Chelsea have arguably had the better of it in all three games against us this season. In a one off game I think it’s a coin toss.

Bayern over two legs is winnable although having the away leg second isn’t ideal. I think Chelsea will lose to City in the semi final though. My money is on a Liverpool or Bayern vs Manchester City final considering how the draw worked out.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

It’ll be a bit of a shootout.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City or Liverpool to win it. As with league, we'll be forced to want Man Blue to win to avoid the nightmare of Merseyside Red glory.

What a time for United fans this is. Liverpool winning league/CL/double/treble would be the ultimate nail in the coffin.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I think so. Chelsea have arguably had the better of it in all three games against us this season. In a one off game I think it’s a coin toss.

Bayern over two legs is winnable although having the away leg second isn’t ideal. I think Chelsea will lose to City in the semi final though. My money is on a Liverpool or Bayern vs Manchester City final considering how the draw worked out.
If it was Flick's Bayern I think you would have been slight underdogs but from what I can see Nagelsmann is still a but raw at the biggest stage so I think over two legs Klopp would outsmart him.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
While Flick is over 20 years older, Nagelsmann is, despite his young age, the much more experienced coach.
Bayern was Flicks first major assignment as manager.

Flick head a better squad for sure. I believe with Alaba still in the team, or defense would be much more stable this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
While Flick is over 20 years older, Nagelsmann is, despite his young age, the much more experienced coach.

Flick head a better squad for sure. I believe with Alaba still in the team, or defense would be much more stable this season.
Plus the fact you're regularly playing 6 forwards....

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

Despite all the lamenting, we still have conceded less goals than last year. Once Phonzie and Leon are up to speed again, we should look quite a bit better in that regard. Our chances of the winning the whole thing this year are as big as those of City, Pool, or Chelsea.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
For Bayern to get to the final there going to have to get something out of the first leg against Liverpool and then playing the second leg at there own ground they should be confident of progressing. You can’t be losing the first leg against Liverpool as that means you’ll have to open up a lot more in the second leg and they’ll tear you apart on the break.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Plus the fact you're regularly playing 6 forwards....
Yesterday Nagelsmann went 'defensive', left Gnabry out in favour of a nominal 4 man defense of Stanisic, Nianzou, Upamecano and Lucas. Still, this is how it ends up looking in build-up :lol:
There's just no positioning for patient, methodical buildup - the method is impatience, even at 2-0 up :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yesterday Nagelsmann went 'defensive', left Gnabry out in favour of a nominal 4 man defense of Stanisic, Nianzou, Upamecano and Lucas. Still, this is how it ends up looking in build-up :lol:
There's just no positioning for patient, methodical buildup - the method is impatience, even at 2-0 up :lol:
Nagelsmann seeing Guardiola brought back and re-popularized the old 3-2-5 from the 1950s: "amateur. 3-1-6 is the way"