Champions League Semi Finals (26th Apr - 4th May)

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Real Madrid should nick this. City will fight them till the end but the CL is a Real exclusive domain.

Liverpool Vs Real final would be interesting

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Real Madrid have ice cold blood.

They always seem to keep cool, no matter how much they're being outplayed or how many goals they concede. Other teams would fold or not find it in themselves to fight back.

Madrid just have that self-belief which only a team with their history can muster.

That penalty from Benzema at 4-2 down is frankly outrageous.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We were. Duh.

Nah, not really. That stretch was down to shock and didn't last that long. Soon as we got back into it atmosphere was cracking again

We didn't win the league in part due to injuries/fatigue and in part because our heads were entirely on the CL
No. I am asking about Champions League alone. If we are to compare league performances also, let's do it in world of fantasy where every league has Barcelona and Atleti in it.

I have no further questions for this witness, Your Honor :D
Sorry but if you aren't even the best team in your country you can be the best in Europe, atleti were pretty darn close had it not been for that header by Sergio.
But yeah you won the whole thing so you could be considered the best team in cl that year obviously.

What are you smoking? Bayern got annihilated in 2014 by Madrid.

Madrid knocked Bayern out again in 2017.

And again in 2018.
Yeah , bayern were probably a bad choice Atletico was probably the better team that year.(won the league almost won the final)

The 2017 and 2018 ties were shady as feck though, didn't real score several offside goals there?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
True but Madrid are crying out for someone like pogba, there midfield is getting on a bit. If they get pogba and the guy from Monaco then that could be some midfield that.
The only positive thing about Zidane not being our manager anymore is that we won't go for Pogba, we do need some fresher legs in midfield but like I said Zidane was the one that wanted him so we'll probably take a gamble on a younger promise just like with Camavinga.

P.S. We're getting murdered next week if we start Kroos again and still I wouldn't want Pogba, I think he's overrated. :)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The only positive thing about Zidane not being our manager anymore is that we won't go for Pogba, we do need some fresher legs in midfield but like I said Zidane was the one that wanted him so we'll probably take a gamble on a younger promise just like with Camavinga.

P.S. We're getting murdered next week if we start Kroos again and still I wouldn't want Pogba, I think he's overrated. :)
Don't worry , we don't want him either.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah , bayern were probably a bad choice Atletico was probably the better team that year.(won the league almost won the final)

The 2017 and 2018 ties were shady as feck though, didn't real score several offside goals there?
Atletico won the league in 2014 yeah but there is a reason why they lost the final 4-1 even if it did take extra time to do it.

How was 2018 tie shady? I think you're thinking of 2017. But it's clutching at straws because Real were always going to win the tie in 2017 on the counter. Bayern were struggling to score from open play in both games.

croadyman

Quality game of Football, I dream of the day United can produce that kind of stuff again

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Atletico won the league in 2014 yeah but there is a reason why they lost the final 4-1 even if it did take extra time to do it.

How was 2018 tie shady? I think you're thinking of 2017. But it's clutching at straws because Real were always going to win the tie in 2017 on the counter. Bayern were struggling to score from open play in both games.
They just mentally collapsed after the the Ramos goal, it's normal the same thing would have happened to bayern had we gone to extra time in 99 doesn't mean their vastly better , in fact i think atleti did a great job of controlling the game but sometimes its just football.

My memory has gotten blurry on this one but I swear really scored offside goals in both ties, some other ref shenanigans as well but I might be mistaken.
They were definitely close games, much closer than the 2014 destruction.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Brilliant game of football. 100% a better result for Real, City missed so many chances and Real just kept finding a goal when they needed it.

Looking forward to the second leg and let's hope for more City heartbreak in the CL.
City should have finished them off when they had the chance. After going up 2-0 there was the Mahrez chance on his right foot which he shanked (also could have squared it). Then Foden miscontrolled KDB's great pass and dragged a shot wide.

Later there was the opportunity when Mahrez hit the post (again he could have squared it) and Foden got the rebound. For some reason, the commentators didn't point out (unless I missed it) that Foden could have easily slotted that rebound home because Courtois was taken out of commission by Mahrez's shot and Foden had the whole goal to aim at with only a defender on the line. But he snatched at it with a first time shot and hit the defender (was it Carvajal?).

Basically, between Foden and Mahrez they let Madrid off the hook (notwithstanding Foden's goal, which was well taken). Now Madrid will be raring to go at the Bernabeu and you'd back them to go through with the injuries City have in defence.

Real Name

Where's Casemiro?

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
They just mentally collapsed after the the Ramos goal, it's normal the same thing would have happened to bayern had we gone to extra time in 99 doesn't mean their vastly better , in fact i think atleti did a great job of controlling the game but sometimes its just football.

My memory has gotten blurry on this one but I swear really scored offside goals in both ties, some other ref shenanigans as well but I might be mistaken.
They were definitely close games, much closer than the 2014 destruction.
Mate, you have to look at the overall picture. People always try to take credit away from Madrid. They deserved to go through on all 3 occasions easily.

Don't forget Bayern lost to Atletico in 2016 and to Liverpool (comfortably) in 2019. They weren't as great as you think. There's a reason why they kept conceding bucket loads against Madrid.

If we're just going to nitpick moments, then I could just say that Bayern didn't deserve to win the CL in 2013, because the only reason why they even got past Arsenal is through away goals.

So they need the away goal rule to get past Arsenal but they then go on to hammer Barcelona 7-0 in the Semi-Final over 2 legs.

Does that mean Arsenal were easily better than Barcelona in 2013?

We have to use our brain here.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Excellent result. I think the team is very good physically and that could be an advantage.
The Bernabéu always gives an extra but one day the epic will end

Ole'sgunnarwin

True but Madrid are crying out for someone like pogba, there midfield is getting on a bit. If they get pogba and the guy from Monaco then that could be some midfield that.
Pogba plays like he's 40, Modric plays likes he's 30. Why would you think Pogba would be any good?

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
This RM team remind me of the great AC Milan team on last legs doing well in CL around 2007/2008.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Mate, you have to look at the overall picture. People always try to take credit away from Madrid. They deserved to go through on all 3 occasions easily.

Don't forget Bayern lost to Atletico in 2016 and to Liverpool (comfortably) in 2019. They weren't as great as you think. There's a reason why they kept conceding bucket loads against Madrid.

If we're just going to nitpick moments, then I could just say that Bayern didn't deserve to win the CL in 2013, because the only reason why they even got past Arsenal is through away goals.

So they need the away goal rule to get past Arsenal but they then go on to hammer Barcelona 7-0 in the Semi-Final over 2 legs.

Does that mean we were easily better than Barcelona in 2013?

We have to use our brain here.
Not saying they didn't deserve it but it was decided by fine margins (2014 not withstanding) and I don't even rate bayern that much (they clearly regressed under pep).

In the end its a knockout competition which is very dependent on current form , experience and finally a bit off luck. Games will be decided on fine margins and simply put Madrid had a ton of them but as the great man said give me lucky generals.
I'm not taking credit away from them it's an incredible achievement which we very likely won't see repeated any time soon, but it's important to mention that they weren't the best team in Europe in many of the years they won it(2017 they were, 2014 is debatable)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For us MUFC fans, this game gives us an idea of how far we have to climb. Right now, our players can't even be bothered to put in the effort.
Good game, though.

ReallyUSA

For us MUFC fans, this game gives us an idea of how far we have to climb. Right now, our players can't even be bothered to put in the effort.
Good game, though.
this team goes down 2-0, folks are faking injuries or not running

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Well done Real, well done. Now there's no resting Silva, KdB or Jesus for the next two games in a row. Probably more.

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
The potential winners tonight were Liverpool. City will have to go strong next week and will probably have to rest some players this weekend.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
City, PSG, Chelsea.

All three have arguably out played Real in respective ties, but this Real team have a kind of magic in them, they never know when they are beat.

Dont know whats worse City winning the PL and CL or Liverpool winning the quad!

Praying for a Real Villareal final :D

TsuWave

City having european classics. Meanwhile...you know what, I feel sick to my stomach

allen7

De brunye just disappeared in the second half. He had a good game but missed to shine when its needed the most.

Madrid with Casemiro will win this tie easily. The difference between them is their mentality on crucial situations. Carlo kept his cool when real conceded in 1st minute while a mistake by fernandinho and pep is going nuts on touch line.
I think this mentality has made a huge difference to the players because of their manager’s reactions. If not this season, I don’t think city will ever win this tournament under pep at least.

Last edited:

Tap

City, PSG, Chelsea.

All three have arguably out played Real in respective ties, but this Real team have a kind of magic in them, they never know when they are beat.

Dont know whats worse City winning the PL and CL or Liverpool winning the quad!

Praying for a Real Villareal final :D
Both are nightmare scenarios but why would City doing the double be worse than Liverpool doing the quadruple?

NoPace

I feel like the game would have been 2-1 City if Camavinga had played instead of Kroos.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
This RM team remind me of the great AC Milan team on last legs doing well in CL around 2007/2008.
If this version of RM reminds me of anything its Chelsea 11/12, yes there is more quality in this RM-side, but it still gives me those vibes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City could have been out of sight but they're not ruthless enough. Even against Liverpool they should have been ahead by more in the 1st half.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Both are nightmare scenarios but why would City doing the double be worse than Liverpool doing the quadruple?
Best case would be City winning the PL and RM/Villareal winning the CL and Chelsea winning the cup.

Only thing I have over my City supporting friends at this point is they havent won the CL

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
City - controlling possession and creating far more chances, could have scored few more
Real - looks more sharper in front of goals, and always looks like a threat when on counter attack

In the 2nd leg anything could happen, Real Madrid may nick a 3-2 win there and go to penalties

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City - controlling possession and creating far more chances, could have scored few more
Real - looks more sharper in front of goals, and always looks like a threat when on counter attack

In the 2nd leg anything could happen, Real Madrid may nick a 3-2 win there and go to penalties
It's a trend for City to be less efficient than their opponents in the final third. Same happened vs Liverpool.

Just hope they don't slip up in the PL

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Best case would be City winning the PL and RM/Villareal winning the CL and Chelsea winning the cup.

Only thing I have over my City supporting friends at this point is they havent won the CL
You will still have 3 CLs > for atleast a couple more seasons.