Champions League Semi Finals (26th Apr - 4th May)

didz

Sitting off Liverpool is suicide. They have the best crosser in the world and Robertson is immense with delivery too. They also are high level on set pieces. They are always good for goals.

Villarreal dominated Liverpool in that first half. Should have had a penalty too. They aren't used to teams pressing. Villarreal did and Liverpool looked flustered.

Changing those tactics was criminal.
I just don't think there's any way they could have kept that up. Asking them to do so would've been worse.

They can do the sitting off thing really well though, it's just that Capoue lacked discipline and Rulli lacked corporeal form. If those two were better, it might've been different. Asking them to carry on intensely pressing Liverpool for another half is wanting all 11 of them to be much much better.

For me the real takeaway is that Villareal had the first half that they did. I thought they might give Liverpool a game just by being annoying and clinical, but they really blew them away first half.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:
Your defense is uber s**t.
Not true - City's attack is awesome so any team that plays open football like us is bound to concede. The fact of the matter is that if we had kept it tight at the back, we'd have lost 2-0/1-0. Instead we came out guns blazing and put 3 past City AT City. How many EPL teams have done that this season AT City?

Fts 74

I still think City will win the league by 4/5 pts 50/50 tomorrow if city approach the game like they did against athletico they'll lose.

CL?I dunno hope it's Madrid obviously but if city win the league and get through I couldn't care less as that will mean no quadruple all I know is I won't be watching.

Superunknown

Just checking out those goals again. Cannot be underestimated how shit the keeping was. Really cost his side in the second half. I'd be furious if I was their manager right now, after working so hard in that first half to get back into the tie.

Real Name

On the one hand Madrid defense is like suisse cheese, you get the feeling sometimes they can concede at every opportunity. But on the other hand they have Modrić and Benzema and can score from nothing, even when it seems they're completely down.Their game isnt about pressing so could be ugly vs Liverpool but Liverpool can be hurt when you go at them. Problem is teams rarely go at them or they simply cant do it.
Pep can go toe to toe pressing wise but they seem to have a CL complex about them. But they must broke the duck one time and maybe possible CL final vs Liverpool will be the time.

I'm still of opinion Madrid, ugly as they are, will win it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The biggest annoyance for me is when we had brilliant teams under Ferguson, there was always another 3-4 genuinely excellent sides in Europe we had to overcome. It seems that with Liverpool under Klopp, the entirety of European football has gone into a decline and they almost have a free run at getting to finals without having any real tests. That’s probably over-simplifying things a bit but that’s how it appears to me on a quick eye-test anyway.
This is what drives the most nails into me, I hate that. I totally agree with you.

Mooza

Supports
Arsenal
What you saw from Villarreal in the second half was how a team should get tired after intense pressing in the 1st half.

croadyman

This. Only for them do you get this toadying up bollocks. Dortmund were almost delighted that they had the honor of being knocked out by them a few years ago.
God I really need some solid transfer news to take my mind off these scouse bastards

TheReligion

Abusive
Not true - City's attack is awesome so any team that plays open football like us is bound to concede. The fact of the matter is that if we had kept it tight at the back, we'd have lost 2-0/1-0. Instead we came out guns blazing and put 3 past City AT City. How many EPL teams have done that this season AT City?
Spurs

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That's why Saturday has me a bit worried. Conte will love a game like that where he can focus entirely on what Spurs do without the ball. They were incredibly effective at the Etihad with what little possession they had.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Without that famous heritage shield, Villarreal were gassed after an ubelievable first half or they simply couldn’t believe what was happening… until the bubble burst and the weakest link of such a formidable chain broke apart.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Got a bit excited there when Villarreal went 2-0 up, but of course they would choke. :mad:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
So out of what - 25-odd games - only 1 team has put 3 past City - that's awesome. It means we did something right. City will now be second guessing their tactics. City will also have an eye on Sunday's game against Newcastle. We can run our first 11 to the ground and still have 23 days to prepare for the next meaningful game. I'm very confident for tomorrow.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
We are going to beat City tomorrow. We went to City and put 3 past their keeper. If City had won 1-0, then there may have been a case for saying that City controlled the tempo, that Madrid's attack is too weak to score against City's defense or that Madrid are too scared to come out.

Instead they're probably shitting themselves at the prospect of playing the second leg in a hostile stadium, against players who've won it many times before, against a fully rested team - especially the back 4 who have had week's rest, against a team whose attack fears no one and against a team who have already won a major tournament - so confidence will be sky high.
Pep. Is. Bald.
Madrid. Are. Bold.
I hope you do. Another Real Madrid / Liverpool final just sounds better considering the tremendous history in Europe both teams have ascended to. We’ve won one each against each other in the finals so this will kind of settle things. It’s also the reason I wouldn’t really be too upset if you get past us considering your history and name in Europe. Good luck and hope to see you in the final.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
So out of what - 25-odd games - only 1 team has put 3 past City - that's awesome. It means we did something right. City will now be second guessing their tactics. City will also have an eye on Sunday's game against Newcastle. We can run our first 11 to the ground and still have 23 days to prepare for the next meaningful game. I'm very confident for tomorrow.
I hope your confidence pays off.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I hope you do. Another Real Madrid / Liverpool final just sounds better considering the tremendous history in Europe both teams have ascended to.
Same here - City winning will just encourage more PSGs/Newcastles to develop. No shame in losing to a machine that Klopp has made you into.

We’ve won one each against each other in the finals so this will kind of settle things.
Disagree ... As long as you have Klopp, we are going to meet each other in the latter stages regularly ... We haven't seen the last of each other.

justboy68

Just watched the extended highlights. That keeper was a fecking liability over both legs, looked like fecking it up every time it got near him. Jesus Christ.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
City are arguable as formidable as most you played in that 08-11 period surely? This run after the group stage has been fortunate. Inter, Benfica and Villarreal.
I think Barça was (way) better than this City.
Same idea, same coach, better players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes, not even close.

Having said that, we need City to show their mettle at the fag end of the season now. I fear they'll crumble whereas Liverpool will rise to the occasion.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah thinking back that Barcelona side was formidable. Especially the side that beat United in 2011.

The two looked more evenly matched in 2009.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Today a lot of people are expected to be around Bernabéu to welcome the team, even more than usual.
I hope that all the festive atmosphere after la liga will not play a dirty trick on us.
Before the first leg I was afraid of going in with a goal disadvantage and gradually falling into City's lethargic rhythm with their ball control, which would make it impossible for us to get off to a flying start and gradually turn off the Bernabéu.
About the team, CKM+Valverde. Despite Rodrygo's momentum I don't think Carletto would dare to play without Fede.
He's not going to leave Kroos on the bench in a Champions League semi-final.

Irrational.

With the luck Liverpool have had in this competition, it wouldn’t surprise me if Real went through and Benzema to miss the final through injury.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
A look at this page and the comments show us that we have supporters from Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona , Real Madrid, Juventus.
And this is only one page.

Friston

Think Pep is a better coach now than he was at Barca as you would expect, he still has the same base principles but he's clearly added a lot of new tweaks in his approach (the way he uses the keeper in build-up and goal kicks instead of having the DM drop deep, the use of inverted wing-backs which he developed with Lahm, narrower rest-defence formation, and all the similarities (borrowed/co-developed) with Klopp, a move from passing lane-oriented counter-pressing to a space-oriented one, faster attacking transitions). That said, he had a better bunch of players at Barca.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
A look at this page and the comments show us that we have supporters from Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona , Real Madrid, Juventus.
That's why the caf is an interesting place for football discussions.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
We need to get these immigrants out of here, they don't understand our culture of hating these clubs.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Adds nothing to the discussion
That's why the caf is an interesting place for football discussions.
Really?!
This is a United forum for United fans and discussion should be between us United fans only imho.
Most of the other fans come here to wind everyone up NOT to discuss.

Dudu

Glad I opted against tuning in. Would have been a horrible watch.

..and the worst might be yet to come. Sigh.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Most fans of other teams don't really participate in the United forum, only in the football forum part, unless you want to analyse the Champions League only from the point of view of a United fan.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Really?!
This is a United forum for United fans and discussion should be between us United fans only imho.
Most of the other fans come here to wind everyone up NOT to discuss.
The oppo fans here add a lot to the forum and make it a way more interesting place.
Straight up wumming isn't tolerated, but a bit of jibing is fine.