Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
It would be especially funny seeing as Coutinho is ineligible for them in the CL this year.
You know what would have been even more funny?
If you had read my next post, like... on the next page, before commenting.

You should read my whole post, i named more reasons than that.

I did forget, though, that Coutinho is probably cup tied for the game, so Suarez has to score the winning goal if they meet.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Liverpool beat City they'll think they can beat anyone else, and why not? I'm thinking about who I'd hate to win and hoping they get dumped out first. Then the other one can hopefully get dumped out in the Semis.

Web of Bissaka

Just saw the thread title, :confused: really?

Maybe it's the younger fans, since the rivalry with Liverpool is not so intense compare to before.
---MCity rivalry is much more intense and more of our threat since they can and have actually won trophies, Liverpool hardly a threat nowadays.

Personally, no United means CL is boring, don't care who progress/won.. well, from a neutral point of view, just Barca, RM, Juventus and Atletico.

EDIT: In addition, related with the context of this season, it may have to do with not wanting MCity to get closer to the CL final, and thereby closer to treble.

Ubermensch

Liverpool quite easily for me due to, as others have pointed out, 'strategic' reasons: city have the quality to go all the way, Liverpool don't. Of course you could argue Liverpool beating City makes them better by default but then you'll be ignoring the bogey-team aspect, or even the fact Liverpool is primed to play against a team like City more so than the remaining teams, who would dick them. Which I can't wait for in the semis.

Peanut Butter

Be careful what you wish for. Liverpool didn't have 'the quality' to win it in 2005, or to get to a 2007 final, but they did.

Strachans Cigar

Wishing injury on a player
I want City to win 10-0 at Anfield, Liverpool to get angry and break a few City legs before the end, with a few Liverpool red cards shown as a result.

Then I want United to despatch City’s depleted team at the Etihad in the league.

For the second leg, I’d settle for a 9-0 Liverpool win, with them just coming up short.

I want Liverpool out before City. In a knockout comp, anything is possible.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd prefer to see Liverpool knock out City than the other way around. I think Liverpool are much less likely to progress from the semis than City. I do however hope those affairs will be fierce and full of aggro.

Peanut Butter

I want City to win 10-0 at Anfield, Liverpool to get angry and break a few City legs before the end, with a few Liverpool red cards shown as a result.

Then I want United to despatch City’s depleted team at the Etihad in the league.

For the second leg, I’d settle for a 9-0 Liverpool win, with them just coming up short.

I want Liverpool out before City. In a knockout comp, anything is possible.
You want City players legs to get broken?

Have a word with yourself.

Magnus

Another mad swede
Want City to smash the fecking Vermin. Loads in here wanted The Scouse cnuts to beat Chelsea in 05 since AC Milan would easily beat them in the final. Cheer Liverpool on you dirty feckers but don't pretend to be an unitedfan then

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Want City to smash the fecking Vermin. Loads in here wanted The Scouse cnuts to beat Chelsea in 05 since AC Milan would easily beat them in the final. Cheer Liverpool on you dirty feckers but don't pretend to be an unitedfan then
You can prefer one of the two to go out in the quarters, it doesn't mean you are cheering the other team on. I don't think anyone is in a position to tell others what you have to be like to be a true United fan.

Lentwood

I think Liverpool are one of the few teams who can beat City over two legs so yeah I’m hoping for a Liverpool win

Don’t get me wrong, if I had to choose one to WIN the Champs League outright, it would be City. I just think any one of Real, Barcelona, Bayern and Juve would knock Liverpool out after the City game

Josep Dowling

I don’t want either to win obviously. However my feelings are Liverpool are less likely to beat Real, Bayern or Barcelona so I want Liverpool to go through only to be knocked out in the semis :drool:

Oscie

City getting to the semi-finals under Guardiola would feel like new ground being broke. Liverpool getting to the semi-finals would seem like something merely a bit jammy, like a smaller underdog team who don't really deserve to be there fluking their way to the last 4. With City, even if the semis is as far as they go, it'd be seen as something quite seismic that I'd rather avoid.

"Won the league and looking not that far away in Europe" vs "Yeah they won the league but they still can't progress past the last 8 and Europe"

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
City getting to the semi-finals under Guardiola would feel like new ground being broke. Liverpool getting to the semi-finals would seem like something merely a bit jammy, like a smaller underdog team who don't really deserve to be there fluking their way to the last 4. With City, even if the semis is as far as they go, it'd be seen as something quite seismic that I'd rather avoid.

"Won the league and looking not that far away in Europe" vs "Yeah they won the league but they still can't progress past the last 8 and Europe"
They've been to the semi finals before but I agree with your point, I want the City bandwagon stopped. They need to be kept away from that trophy for as long as possible.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Mind says 'fair point' heart says 'the sooner the vermin are out the better'.

juggernaut1986

I don’t get this argument that Liverpool are best suited to beat City. Bayern/Barca/Madrid have a better chance of eliminating City than Liverpool. Hopefully Liverpool lose badly. Don’t want a repeat of 2005 in my lifetime.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I don’t get this argument that Liverpool are best suited to beat City. Bayern/Barca/Madrid have a better chance of eliminating City than Liverpool. Hopefully Liverpool lose badly. Don’t want a repeat of 2005 in my lifetime.
It's rubbish, isn't it?
Liverpool had a purple patch in the Anfield match this season but lost the series 8-4 on aggregate.
Will be closer this time but I think City have more room for improvement than Liverpool do.

Neuron

The tribal mentality of the majority of football fans is completely staggering. Liverpool are the underdogs in the tie, they play (in my own opinion) very attractive football, and they don't have the financial power of City.

So yeah, I'd rather Liverpool win. There's something much more likable about them currently, and it's always nice to see the (financial) underdogs win, cause that's most of the time done through a lot of determination, which is fantastic to see in any sport.

ti vu

The tribal mentality of the majority of football fans is completely staggering. Liverpool are the underdogs in the tie, they play (in my own opinion) very attractive football, and they don't have the financial power of City.

So yeah, I'd rather Liverpool win.
Don't tell me you cried when Slippy threw away the title in 2014

Martin(6)Buchan

Liverpool vs City is a lose lose situation for me just hope neither win it or get to the final.

Neuron

Don't tell me you cried when Slippy threw away the title in 2014
I think that was objectively and universally funny...

But yeah, if we're being completely honest, they did have a bit of magic about them that season. It wouldn't have been the worst thing to see them win it. I know a lot of people on here would hate it if Liverpool won the league regardless of circumstances. I don't think I would have minded too much though.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
feck this. Who cares if they have «earned» it or not? It’s fecking Liverpool!

See this:

No, you’re absolutely wrong on this one, unless you believe that hatred as a force, outweighs actual principles.
I’m a Liverpool supporter, but I would absolutely prefer you lot, to win the CL over.......No, I just cannot do it! SirAF is spot on.

I respect you lot a hundred times more, but out of United or City winning it? Always City. They’re just locked out of our Brilliant, eternal battle, always will be, whatever they do.

Which is pretty great really. And, one thing I honestly can say, is that, I would’ve HATED Liverpool being bought by a Sugar Daddy. The League title(s) we may’ve won would’ve been utterly devalued.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
No, you’re absolutely wrong on this one, unless you believe that hatred as a force, outweighs actual principles.
I’m a Liverpool supporter, but I would absolutely prefer you lot, to win the CL over.......No, I just cannot do it!

I respect you lot a hundred times more, but out of United or City winning it? Always City. They’re just locked out of our Brilliant, eternal battle, always will be, whatever they do.

Which is pretty great really. And, one thing I honestly can say, is that, I would’ve HATED Liverpool being bought by a Sugar Daddy. The League title(s) we may’ve won would’ve been utterly devalued.
Yes :lol:

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
Hope you’re laughing at what I meant SirAF - I think you are, but I’ve gone back and made it clearer.

I would rather they won than you, because they just matter less, and now, they’ll never truly get that respect back (see Chelsea, forever labelled even though no longer huge spenders because no-one will ever know whether they’d have won a League title anyway.

Even Chelsea though, tangibly, were light years nearer to a title, than City’s starting point).[/QUOTE]

SirAF

Ageist
Hope you’re laughing at what I meant SirAF - I think you are, but I’ve gone back and made it clearer.

I would rather they won than you, because they just matter less, and now, they’ll never truly get that respect back (see Chelsea, forever labelled even though no longer huge spenders because no-one will ever know whether they’d have won a League title anyway.

Even Chelsea though, tangibly, were light years nearer to a title, than City’s starting point).

Yes, absolutely - that’s my thinking too.

Oyibo

Which is worse : listening to Red Dipper singing "we've won it 6 times", we've won it 6 times...":eek:

or City singing "bring on the Champions, the Champions of Europe"..:mad:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Two nil-nil bore draws, followed by a win through penalties for City, who get spanked by any other team in the semi's. Please.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Liverpool vs City is a lose lose situation for me just hope neither win it or get to the final.
Barcelona will be waiting in the Semi Final anyway. Then if they get by Barca you'll have Bayern or Real Madrid.

Don't see either of them winning it

Ban

So yeah, I'd rather Liverpool win. There's something much more likable about them currently, and it's always nice to see the (financial) underdogs win, cause that's most of the time done through a lot of determination, which is fantastic to see in any sport.
There's nothing likable about them currently, there's never been anything likable about them nor there will be in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.