Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think you'll be held to ransom now. Everyone knows you're desperate for a CF and good proven quality is hard to acquire.

I'm delighted with Lukaku for that reason.
It's very true, that's why I'm looking for any edge possible. I'd really not mind just stumping up for Icardi's full buyout, especially if the cost is partially offset by Matic going the other way. My dream scenario would be somehow convincing Costa to also sign for Inter to further mitigate the cost, but that seems hugely unlikely.

I definitely don't want Aubameyang at €70m; that'd be an awful piece of business IMO. Aging, pure pace and for me is near-guaranteed to struggle against deep-lying defenses. The fact that Dortmund seem to be actively trying to flog him off is quite telling.

A dark horse that I quite like but is somewhat unproven is Keita Balde Diao from Lazio-he'd be a lot cheaper than other options, but the drawback being that he is less proven as a CF. When he did play there for Lazio last season he was brilliant though, scored 10 goals from 7 appearances, but I'm not sure he could do that in England. Still worth a punt though; Chelsea did look very good last season with Hazard leading the line when Costa was unavailable for the most part...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chalobah sold to Watford officially...

Word is that there's no sell on clause or buyback. Fee is only £5m. Seems an absolutely insane piece of business from Chelsea's perspective. Basically have to buy another midfielder now, right? Kante/Bakayoko(?)/Fabregas and that's it? Unless Lewis Baker is coming into the first team?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Oh my gosh, we're fecked. Why isnt there isnt a buy back clause for Chalobah. He's gonna blossom into a solid midfielder.

Very poor squad depth in midfield. Both RLC (loan) and Chalobah gone.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Apparently Nate turned down a big contract extension because he wanted to be playing, but £5m and no clauses? That's insane.

Hojoon

Apparently Nate turned down a big contract extension because he wanted to be playing, but £5m and no clauses? That's insane.
One year left on his contract. There's also probably a human aspect in that he has a slight chance of making it to the World Cup given the lack of proper CMs for England, so Chelsea didn't keep him against his will.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
One year left on his contract. There's also probably a human aspect in that he has a slight chance of making it to the World Cup given the lack of proper CMs for England, so Chelsea didn't keep him against his will.
He deserves to be treated well by the club, it's the lack of buyback that I can't wrap my head around.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Basically have to buy another midfielder now, right? Kante/Bakayoko(?)/Fabregas and that's it? Unless Lewis Baker is coming into the first team?
Is it written in stone that Matic will leave if Bakayoko comes? Because if he'd stay, it would be the required upgrade in depth for the upcoming season (basically Chalobah -> Bakayoko).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Is it absolutely clear that Matic will leave if Bakayoko comes? Because if he'd stay, it would be the required upgrade in depth for the upcoming season (basically Chalobah -> Bakayoko).
Reportedly he's been training on his own instead of doing double sessions with the rest of the squad-seems to me that we've crossed the Rubicon with Matic, but stranger things have happened.

AshfordLad

He deserves to be treated well by the club, it's the lack of buyback that I can't wrap my head around.
No one has confirmed or denied one so far. All we had was a tweet from ChelseaYough two weeks back saying one might be possible but not likely.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
will be interesting how Conte does with additional CL matches.
Not like he's never been in Europe before. Just have to make sure we have enough bodies. Seems like there's been a lot of one way traffic from us in the transfer window thus far. Lots of players out and very few in.

Should start to pick up starting tomorrow with Bakayoko hopefully.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Daft post by this fella if you ask me.

There is no reason to blame international fans for the clubs stupidity.
Yeah, the post is daft. Was more about the image. I saw a tweet by someone else saying it wasn't long ago all four were playing together and now all four are at different clubs - two sold permanently. Lost the original tweet but saw that tweet with same image. Didn't pay much attention to the words.

Musonda will probably be in your squad next season with his new number but doubt he'll play much with Hazard (currently injured), Pedro and Willian all preferred. Any other youth players you think will be in your squad next season?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Not like he's never been in Europe before. Just have to make sure we have enough bodies. Seems like there's been a lot of one way traffic from us in the transfer window thus far. Lots of players out and very few in.

Should start to pick up starting tomorrow with Bakayoko hopefully.
I think he will do well this season. But it will be interesting to see how he juggles his squad.

AshfordLad

Yeah, the post is daft. Was more about the image. I saw a tweet by someone else saying it wasn't long ago all four were playing together and now all four are at different clubs - two sold permanently. Lost the original tweet but saw that tweet with same image. Didn't pay much attention to the words.

Musonda will probably be in your squad next season with his new number but doubt he'll play much with Hazard (currently injured), Pedro and Willian all preferred. Any other youth players you think will be in your squad next season?
Indeed that is a disheartening image. Most fans I know though this would be our class of '12 on the same lines of Barca's class of '02 and United's class of '92. And the whole football world and their likely dead great gran know it that this lot was good enough.

As to who we are keeping, Baker might stay on since we are short on the CM position (Matic surely leaving). Musonda as you mention might not get many games and will probably end up getting sold next summer. Christensen now seems like the only one to have a decent shot at making it. Jay DaSilva might be another one if we fail to land a wing back but thats very unlikely.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Indeed that is a disheartening image. Most fans I know though this would be our class of '12 on the same lines of Barca's class of '02 and United's class of '92. And the whole football world and their likely dead great gran know it that this lot was good enough.
I was more excited about Boga than anyone else. I don't know what's happening with him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Zouma has apparently agreed a new 4 year deal and loan to Stoke. Makes sense all around considering he'd be 6th choice.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep

As to who we are keeping, Baker might stay on since we are short on the CM position (Matic surely leaving). Musonda as you mention might not get many games and will probably end up getting sold next summer. Christensen now seems like the only one to have a decent shot at making it. Jay DaSilva might be another one if we fail to land a wing back but thats very unlikely.
No, the whole football world didn't know this lot was good enough. Not at this point in their careers, anyway. You know how I know that? Because if they were good enough to play for Chelsea, then they'd leave to play for other top clubs. Ake went back to Bournemouth, Chalobah joined Watford, Loftus-Cheek is loaned out to Crystal Palace and Aina is at Hull City. That's their level at the moment. Can they develop and get better? Sure, and I hope they do. But they won't get that chance while warming the bench at CFC.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So it turns out Mourinho wasn't the one who was hampering their academy? What a surprise.

Rafateria

Very fair post, I think if we do get the targets we are linked with which look likely we will have improved enough to challenge on all fronts.... main concern for us as a club is getting the striker signing right, it feels like if we do that and land a good target the team will be really well balanced.
Chelsea are in a precarious situation all of Conte's making. Costa isn't going to stay - it would make a horrible atmosphere in the dressing room and be very poor for morale. However there are very few serious options left open to replace him. Aubameyang looks far and away the best of them because other names being floated around are simply not available. Unless something very dramatic happens re. M'Bappe. Batshuayi as backup striker should be worrying you too, he simply doesn't look like living up to expectations (and I liked what I'd seen prior to his signing for Chelsea).

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are in a precarious situation all of Conte's making. Costa isn't going to stay - it would make a horrible atmosphere in the dressing room and be very poor for morale. However there are very few serious options left open to replace him. Aubameyang looks far and away the best of them because other names being floated around are simply not available. Unless something very dramatic happens re. M'Bappe. Batshuayi as backup striker should be worrying you too, he simply doesn't look like living up to expectations (and I liked what I'd seen prior to his signing for Chelsea).
Our striking situation isn't that bad, Costa will end up going and we have three options available in Morata, Aubamayeng and Belotti.

As for the bit in bold he hardly got any playing time at all last year yet when he did in the cup he frequently scored or assisted, he was called upon against spurs in the FA cup and played well. Then when finally given a bit of game time towards the end of the season he was scoring goals and playing well, so going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with that. He ended up with the same amount of prem goals as Rashford despite playing nowhere near the same amount of minutes....

I think the only Prem club with two amazing striking options is city.

Rafateria

Our striking situation isn't that bad, Costa will end up going and we have three options available in Morata, Aubamayeng and Belotti.

As for the bit in bold he hardly got any playing time at all last year yet when he did in the cup he frequently scored or assisted, he was called upon against spurs in the FA cup and played well. Then when finally given a bit of game time towards the end of the season he was scoring goals and playing well, so going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with that. He ended up with the same amount of prem goals as Rashford despite playing nowhere near the same amount of minutes....

I think the only Prem club with two amazing striking options is city.
Well Belotti isn't an option as already stated he's going nowhere. Morata's quality in the PL and at the highest level remains to be seen. Unfortunately for Chelsea the three strikers that do seem to be on the move, and probably suit them, are all in the PL and with Lukaku gone to United the other two wouldn't be permitted to go to Chelsea (Aguero, if City get the other, Sanchez).

Checking Batshuayi's stats I may be wrong (90 mins metrics in the PL: 1.51 goals, 0.30 assists, 73% shot accuracy). I did say I liked him but it seems Conte doesn't, 299 mins in 20 games !

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Well Belotti isn't an option as already stated he's going nowhere. Morata's quality in the PL and at the highest level remains to be seen. Unfortunately for Chelsea the three strikers that do seem to be on the move, and probably suit them, are all in the PL and with Lukaku gone to United the other two wouldn't be permitted to go to Chelsea (Aguero, if City get the other, Sanchez).

Checking Batshuayi's stats I may be wrong (90 mins metrics in the PL: 1.51 goals, 0.30 assists, 73% shot accuracy). I did say I liked him but it seems Conte doesn't, 299 mins in 20 games !
In the premier league agreed Morata might not have proven himself but its the same way Lukaku has never proven himself on the big stage (Champions League) because they both haven't had the opportunity, I know a lot of Chelsea & United fans that were essentially 50/50 over them both so im not at all worried about that, as for Auba he would obviously be an instant upgrade.

Morata would also suit our style of play with Pedro Willian and Hazard up top all good fast technical players.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Same old, same old looks to me like CFC are being messed around.

Wouldn't be surprised if our only forward acquisition turns out to be Llorente and then waiting to January looking to acquire Greizman.

iKnowNothing

Is there any chance that Conte and Costa will come to some sort of an agreement over him (Costa) staying at Chelsea for this year (or perhaps until Jan?). Given their striker situation, I would be worried if I were a Chelsea fan.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Same old, same old looks to me like CFC are being messed around.

Wouldn't be surprised if our only forward acquisition turns out to be Llorente and then waiting to January looking to acquire Greizman.
We'll be 6th in January with this team. Need I remind you Hazard is out until October :lol:

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
We'll be 6th in January with this team. Need I remind you Hazard is out until October :lol:
You don't and I'm thinking we need some serious strengthening before the campaign starts if we are seriously going to compete for both the EPL and CL.
If not 6th seems a strong possibility.