Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I actually don't feel like we were that over-reliant on Hazard last year. We have been the years before, but last year saw a much stronger Pedro, Moses creating a lot of openings with his blistering pace and direct play, and Fab when he was on creating a lot and posing a decent goal threat. Obviously having a Hazard in the team is going to mean he's hugely important and noticable, but unlike in previous years where if he was out it felt like we were fecked, last year felt much more of a team effort.
Yes, the collective effort was certainly there - generally that was good, but I still felt there were some individual limitations spoiling too many promising situations. (I'm thinking about CL top level here.) I thought the only times when there was no overreliance on Hazard was when Fabregas played as an additional playmaker behind the Belgian, especially in the second half of the season. That's what I thought Chelsea's attacking game should look like, but Conte seems to prefer the defensive stability a second DM provides.

Agree about Pedro, the understanding between him, Fabregas and Hazard was great at times (the interplay for Pedro's goal against Bournemouth :drool:).

Last edited:

SirMattBugsby

Ake's gone to Bournemouth for around £20 mil.
Wonderful player. He obviously feels he should be playing week in week out and has made the right move. Played well at Bournemouth and their playing style suits him well.

I'm guessing Chelsea will have a sell-on fee or buyback clause, coz this lad might go for a nice sum three years down the line.

Special_One

Weird one, Ake leaving. Thought he could have done a job personally. Was terrific in the FA Cup semi-final.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
Oh it was nothing against you, just few Chelsea fans who posted so much nonsense about Jose and how Conte will promote young players from academy. So thought post about Ake being sold is the better post to quote.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Oh it was nothing against you, just few Chelsea fans who posted so much nonsense about Jose and how Conte will promote young players from academy. So thought post about Ake being sold is the better post to quote.
I'm not sure why anyone would tout Conte as the one who would start promoting youth, but Mourinho's incompetence about this subject is an entirely different discussion.

Special_One

Makes sense mate, and I agree with you. It's a Chelsea thing, not a Jose thing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not sure why anyone would tout Conte as the one who would start promoting youth, but Mourinho's incompetence about this subject is an entirely different discussion.
I don't know, maybe that's something Chelsea fans dream about their new managers.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
With Ake leaving and Zouma potentially going out on loan it appears we'll defiantly be looking to sign a new CB

We've been linked to VVD quite a bit these last few weeks but the prices quoted are absolutely insane. I wouldn't be fussed with us paying up to 60 million for Sandro because he's a truly elite player and one of the best in his position. VVD is a very good player but I wouldn't put him up there with the best CBs in the world

Chelsea have been encouraged to make a late bid to sign Roma centre-back Kostas Manolas, according to Sky sources.

Manolas would represent much better value at around 30 million. Similar level to VVD IMO Also he's probably one of the fastest CBs around just not as good with his feet as VVD

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's Rudiger Conte wants, not Manolas

And sky italy is reporting his agent's flying to London to meet with Chelsea

Claude Makélélé

It's Rudiger Conte wants, not Manolas

And sky italy is reporting his agent's flying to London to meet with Chelsea
He is the player I want too, not Manolas :D

Chelsea apparently has learnt from last summer. The club is not pursuing impossible or almost impossible targets. It is chasing realistic ones. That's good.

AshfordLad

He is the player I want too, not Manolas :D

Chelsea apparently has learnt from last summer. The club is not pursuing impossible or almost impossible targets. It is chasing realistic ones. That's good.
Which were these impossible targets? Both Pogba and Stones were possible as shown by the mancs. Morata is going to move this summer, so he is not impossible to get either.

Claude Makélélé

Which were these impossible targets? Both Pogba and Stones were possible as shown by the mancs. Morata is going to move this summer, so he is not impossible to get either.
Koulibaly and Nainggolan, we were chasing them all last summer. Even now there is no clear sign they are leaving Italy. Pogba and Stones were not our targets last summer (and luckily we didn't pay that 50M for the mighty Stones).

Yes, Morata is availabe for 70M. But as Lukaku may cost the same amount of money, it is only a slim chance we are going to buy both.

The current almost impossible targets (if not impossible targets) this summer are Bonucci (great player but Juve is not selling us two of their best players in the same month and paying around 50M for a 30 years old defender is not that Chelsea board likely to do), Boateng (we all know how cocky Bayern is) and probably Van Dijk (who has a 5+ years contract with Southamton).

We can still get one of them, of course. But there is a high risk like last summer, when we didn't get any central back until the last day of the transfer window.

So it is good that Chelsea turn to Rudiger. Get him and finish the business quickly. Roma has to sell one more player because they need money to comply with FFP.

AshfordLad

Koulibaly and Nainggolan, we were chasing them all last summer. Even now there is no clear sign they are leaving Italy. Pogba and Stones were not our targets last summer (and luckily we didn't pay that 50M for the mighty Stones).

Yes, Morata is availabe for 70M. But as Lukaku may cost the same amount of money, it is only a slim chance we are going to buy both.

The current almost impossible targets (if not impossible targets) this summer are Bonucci (great player but Juve is not selling us two of their best players in the same month and paying around 50M for a 30 years old defender is not that Chelsea board would pay), Boateng (we all know how cocky Bayern is) and probably Van Dijk (who has a 5+ years contract with Southamton).

We can still get one of them, of course. But there is a high risk like last summer, when we didn't get any central back until the last day of the transfer window.

So it is good that Chelsea turn to Rudiger. Get him and finish the business quickly. Roma has to sell one more player because they need money to comply with FFP.
So you were confusing Chelsea not being willing to pay with the target being impossible in your last post.
Koulibaly was available for €60m. All Chelsea had to do was just pay. In what world is that called impossible? Same with VVD this summer. He is available for £60m so its not impossible.

Never seen any news of us targeting Boateng (who I agree is impossible to get) and Naingollan is just too chickenshit to leave his stability in Rome for a change at bigger better things so agree he is kind of impossible to get but thats just one player.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea fans disappointed that Ake has left?
Not really. Happy for him because he'll get to play every week now. If he had stayed he'd only get an appearance here and there.

Claude Makélélé

So you were confusing Chelsea not being willing to pay with the target being impossible in your last post.
Koulibaly was available for €60m. All Chelsea had to do was just pay. In what world is that called impossible? Same with VVD this summer. He is available for £60m so its not impossible.

Never seen any news of us targeting Boateng (who I agree is impossible to get) and Naingollan is just too chickenshit to leave his stability in Rome for a change at bigger better things so agree he is kind of impossible to get but thats just one player.
If we just pay the asking price, we get any player we want as every player has his price. We get Messi if we pay 350M.

But when the club setting their asking price too high comparing to the fair value of the player, we are not going to buy him. He is impossible to get with that price tag.

About Koulibaly, may be in your opinion he is truly worth that €60M. But for me (and for Chelsea's board, of course), no way he is worth that much.

About Rudiger, however, 35M for him is apparently a reasonable price. He is a fairly attainable target.

Claude Makélélé

Are Chelsea fans disappointed that Ake has left?
No, I am not disappointed if his transfer does include a buy back clause.

He can develop further at Bournemouth where I believe would give him more chances for a starting role (like they did last year). We have the option to buy him back later. It's perfect for Chelsea, perfect for him and probably good for Bournemouth.

Rafateria

Alex Sandro reportedly looks set to snub Chelsea in favour of staying at Juventus.

The 26-year-old left-back is said to be one of Antonio Conte's top transfer targets this summer as he looks to bolster his ranks ahead of next season.

The Serie A champions are apparently irritated by the Blues' public pursuit of the defender.

And in a bid to ward off interest from Chelsea club chiefs Beppe Moratta and Fabio Paratici met with Massimiliano Allegri to thrash out an offer that will convince him to stay.

If he signs the new deal he will become the club's third highest-paid player behind Paulo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain.

AND (sounds like BS)

Chelsea have reportedly set their sights on Porto left-back Alex Telles amid fears Paris Saint-Germain could hijack their move for Juventus’ Alex Sandro.

Chelsea are said to have tabled a £22m bid for the uncapped Brazilian, who is open to a move to the Premier League.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What is happening with Bakayoko, for the past months there have been numerous reports that he has signed with Chelsea, but no confirmation so far?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What is happening with Bakayoko, for the past months there have been numerous reports that he has signed with Chelsea, but no confirmation so far?
So, if the rumours were to be believed, today (new kit day) is when we start announcing new signings.
New kit first then the new players will follow (if my sources are to be believed).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Alex Sandro reportedly looks set to snub Chelsea in favour of staying at Juventus.

The 26-year-old left-back is said to be one of Antonio Conte's top transfer targets this summer as he looks to bolster his ranks ahead of next season.

The Serie A champions are apparently irritated by the Blues' public pursuit of the defender.

And in a bid to ward off interest from Chelsea club chiefs Beppe Moratta and Fabio Paratici met with Massimiliano Allegri to thrash out an offer that will convince him to stay.
This is entirely based on a single tweet from a Juventus fan account. They also reported last summer that Pogba was staying, so they have no credibility whatsoever. The last real reports I read saw Granovskaia having scheduled further talks with Juve on Monday, and Chelsea seem entirely confident of a deal being completed.

Chelsea were never going to announce any signings prior to July 1 due to the new kit launch anyway.

Last edited:

AshfordLad

Why? The window only opened today and it sounds like we're in for some really good players.
The only good player we seem to be in for is Sandro. Which in all likelihood will not happen.

And this signing of willy caballero is so underwhelming. He is pretty much a pub team level player.