Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think Chelsea will be fine. I doubt very much Conte will quit this season.

You can always try for Morata (which I'm dreading tbh) if you're willing to pay what Madrid want. Even if you don't get him, I'm sure whoever rocks up will do a job.

It's funny as an opposition fan how much I trust Conte's coaching abilities!:lol: In my eyes, he's very clever, and you guys will be fine.

AshfordLad

I think Chelsea will be fine. I doubt very much Conte will quit this season.

You can always try for Morata (which I'm dreading tbh) if you're willing to pay what Madrid want. Even if you don't get him, I'm sure whoever rocks up will do a job.

It's funny as an opposition fan how much I trust Conte's coaching abilities!:lol: In my eyes, he's very clever, and you guys will be fine.
It depends on what does fine mean for you. Fighting for top-4? Then yeah Chelsea could be fine.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It depends on what does fine mean for you. Fighting for top-4? Then yeah Chelsea could be fine.
Relax, it's not one player that wins you anything. It's a team effort and Conte has already shown that he knows how to get the different parts of a team playing well together. Or maybe i have too much faith in Conte. In any case, you have lots of money so should be able to buy whomever you want except maybe Messi and Ronnie.

AgentP

Chelsea have many positions that they can improve but replacing Costa will be the hardest. Morata and Belotti are the only decent options I can think of and they will cost around 70-80m. Both have scored 20 goals only for the first time in their career so it would be a bit of a risk. The best thing to do is to get Costa to stay but it might be too late now with Conte's unnecessary text to Costa.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They could use the striker money to improve other positions and simply buy a back-up striker and gamble on Batshuayi as their #1.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
morata is way better than lukaku IMO so if Chelsea ends up with him they should be happy. Belotti is a bet, he has 1 good season in Serie A only under his belt and anything over 45 million would be overpriced as Lukaku is btw

TheReligion

Abusive
How do the Chelsea fans feel about Lukaku choosing United?

I know he was a boyhood Chelsea fan but guess that ship has sailed now.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Was just looking at the fixture list for the first 7 games. Really tough. We've got Spurs, Everton, Arsenal and City in just those 7 games, and a couple of potentially tricky ones in Leicester and Stoke. Really hope we can hit the ground running, or else we could very quickly be playing catchup. On the up-side it gets them out the way early I suppose, and the season ending is pretty nice (as long as our current players don't inherit our St James Park hoodoo).

AshfordLad

I was really happy when he fecked off and never really wanted him back.

What however pisses me off is the lack of ambition shown by the club here. On a side note we need work on putting in sell on clauses in future as well.

AshfordLad

Relax, it's not one player that wins you anything. It's a team effort and Conte has already shown that he knows how to get the different parts of a team playing well together. Or maybe i have too much faith in Conte. In any case, you have lots of money so should be able to buy whomever you want except maybe Messi and Ronnie.
Yes you have too much faith in Conte. He is good but Jose and guardiola are no mugs.

And no we cant just go and buy anyone. We can one seem to buy three types of players
1) untested young players (Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Schurrle)
2) Discards (Fabregas, Pedro, Luiz)
3) Those with cheap release clause (Costa, Kante)

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yes you have too much faith in Conte. He is good but Jose and guardiola are no mugs.

And no we cant just go and buy anyone. We can one seem to buy three types of players
1) untested young players (Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Schurrle)
2) Discards (Fabregas, Pedro, Luiz)
3) Those with cheap release clause (Costa, Kante)
Oh give it a rest, we're the Champions of England for goodness sake. You're making it sound like we're fecking Arsenal.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Any chance of Chelsea going for Alexis Sanchez now that Lukaku has fallen through?

AshfordLad

Oh give it a rest, we're the Champions of England for goodness sake. You're making it sound like we're fecking Arsenal.
Ok. If its becoming tedious reading for you I'll stop it.
But will be back with a whole load of told-you-so posts in a few months time.:D

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Ok. If its becoming tedious reading for you I'll stop it.
But will be back with a whole load of "told-you-so" posts in a few months time.:D
Let's wait until we're top of the league at xmas, and we can both forget this conversation ever happened. ;)

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The 100-euros restaurant fecker still only asks for players from his former 10-euros restaurant though: Alex Sandro, Bonucci, Marchisio, Llorente, Morata. If he walks out of desperation and you hire Warnock, you can stay assured the CL final is a sure thing next year.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea

I'm not annoyed solely by Lukaku. I'm annoyed my favorite player (at the time) and 2 Belgians have gone to the Manchester clubs for a combined ~£167 million when we bought them for ~£50 million due to United's manager's poor judgement. I'm annoyed the board won't back the manager who won the league with Victor Moses, [Irrelevant point], and Nemanja Matic in the starting XI.

AshfordLad

The 100-euros restaurant fecker still only asks for players from his former 10-euros restaurant though: Alex Sandro, Bonucci, Marchisio, Llorente, Morata. If he walks out of desperation and you hire Warnock, you can stay assured the CL final is a sure thing next year.
Wow that bitterness for a manager that brought you lot back from obscurity.

Be careful what you wish for mate. If he walks from Chelsea he might just being the troops and park them in your front yard.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Wow that bitterness for a manager that brought you lot back from obscurity.
Be careful what you wish for mate. If he walks from Chelsea he might just being the troops and park them in your front yard.
At his very end, he is just a parochial know-it-all nutcase. Enjoy the ride.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Really not fussed about missing out on Lukaku, he will get you goals but his technical ability is severely lacking compared to other top strikers in football. Not to mention he has a habit of going missing in the big games

If we manage to get Auba or Morata for less then we would have done very well

Sky Sports Germany are reporting that we've bid 70 million for Auba

Zoo

Really not fussed about missing out on Lukaku, he will get you goals but his technical ability is severely lacking compared to other top strikers in football. Not to mention he has a habit of going missing in the big games

You might not be fussed by he was Conte's number 1 target and by all accounts had done a lot of ground work on him. That's not good, especially when you consider that there was stories of him being disgruntled with the Chelsea board as early as January.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
You might not be fussed by he was Conte's number 1 target and by all accounts had done a lot of ground work on him. That's not good, especially when you consider that there was stories of him being disgruntled with the Chelsea board as early as January.
I doubt anyone outside of Chelsea knows who Conte's first choice striker actually is

First it was Morata, then it was Belotti, then it was Lukaku and now it's Belotti again :lol:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

I've said on here multiple times over the past few years I don't think he is suited to a possession based team (which all the top clubs generally are). Hes miles better on the counter when he has space. Not overly upset to have missed out on him really.

TheReligion

Abusive

I don't think Auba or Morata will cost less than 75m though. That's the problem.

For price, experience and goals I think Lukaku was the best bet.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've said on here multiple times over the past few years I don't think he is suited to a possession based team (which all the top clubs generally are). Hes miles better on the counter when he has space. Not overly upset to have missed out on him really.
I will be interested to see how he does. We aren't really a possession team anymore. I think he'll get plenty of goals.

Rafateria

They could use the striker money to improve other positions and simply buy a back-up striker and gamble on Batshuayi as their #1.
Or they could buy Aubameyang as a short term replacement for the next 2-3 years. One of the very best CFs in Europe and would fit like a glove to Conte's style of play. Can't understand why he's not even being considered (unless it's age and a depreciating asset).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Or they could buy Aubameyang as a short term replacement for the next 2-3 years. One of the very best CFs in Europe and would fit like a glove to Conte's style of play. Can't understand why he's not even being considered (unless it's age and a depreciating asset).
I think most big teams are afraid that Aubameyang is too system dependant to perform. Despite his good goalscoring numbers, he seems far more limited in his game than most top strikers.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
well to be honest Sandro or Morata were not there when Conte left and many of the best were bought afterwards. Llorente is just a replacement in any case

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Rudiger video.

Wow this is actually the worst thing I've ever seen.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This new chap actually any good? Never heard of him before the Chelsea links

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This new chap actually any good? Never heard of him before the Chelsea links
At 24 years old with a few full seasons under his belt including caps for the national teams I reckon he's a decent signing for them. I wasn't impressed with him in the CL when I watched Roma though.