Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So you really think there's no issue? Chelsea didn't want Lukaku and everything is great?

Too much smoke for a while now. Not just over this.
I think its perfectly possible he wanted him and we didn't get him. That doesn't however suddenly equate to 'OMG!! Conte is FURIOUS and MIGHT QUIT!!' as the media are currently pushing. I'm sure during his career Conte has missed out on player transfers that he'd have liked before, and has not responded by throwing a tantrum like an angry 2 year old.

But of course 'Chelsea don't sign Lukaku, and we don't know what their plan B is (if they were actually trying to sign him in the first place)', doesn't make quite such a catchy clickbait headline.

There's also a long time rumour however about how he badly pissed off several high up people in the club when he left (no-one has said why) and that although some people at the club have been pushing to get him back, its been extremely hard to get a consensus on it. I don't know whether there's truth to that story, but it might put things in a little more perspective.

cyberman

I can't believe that Lukaku bet is at even money.
I'd be too embarassed to go home tonigh if I placed that.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
But, but you's never wanted him anyway, amirite :lol:
Lukaku? Half and half really. At one time he was one of the great hopes for our future along with Courtois and KdB, but his attitude and constant running to the press gets tiring very quickly. When he's not having a good day on the pitch he can look utterly useless too (although when he has his head in the game he can be utterly unstoppable of course).

I think he'll do well for you guys, but I'm genuinely not gutted about this one. If you'd gazzumped us to someone like Sanchez, I'd have been spitting feathers though. :)

Robbie Boy

Lukaku? Half and half really. At one time he was one of the great hopes for our future along with Courtois and KdB, but his attitude and constant running to the press gets tiring very quickly. When he's not having a good day on the pitch he can look utterly useless too (although when he has his head in the game he can be utterly unstoppable of course).

I think he'll do well for you guys, but I'm genuinely not gutted about this one. If you'd gazzumped us to someone like Sanchez, I'd have been spitting feathers though. :)
Fair enough but I think it was clear Conte wanted him and badly, at that.

I'm a huge Lukaku fan as witnessed on the first page of this seasons performance thread. I was pretty pissed with the thoughts of him going to you lot as I thought it was nailed on. For me, he would have been better than Costa (I think he's overrated).

Speaking of players that can look shit when not on form; Costa has often looked pub level when off form so plenty of players can look poor on off days.

AshfordLad

It would make sense, even for a billionaire it can't be that easy to just find £500m. Definitely good for the club in the long run though, the stadium is the one area where we currently can't compete with the other big clubs.
Its back to our same discussion then again.

I hate the new stadium already. Just spend the darn £500m (additional) in the market over the next 5 season and win 3-4 PLs and 2 CLs. That would be much better use of money.

Then we wont need to compete with these "big" clubs. We would be taking a wee all over them.

Prodigal7

I hate the new stadium already. Just spend the darn £500m (additional) in the market over the next 5 season and win 3-4 PLs and 2 CLs. That would be much better use of money.

Then we wont need to compete with these "big" clubs. We would be taking a wee all over them.
The issue with that statement is that your spending plans would breach FFP. Capital expenditure in infrastructure doesn't count towards FFP.

AshfordLad

The issue with that statement is that your spending plans would breach FFP. Capital expenditure in infrastructure doesn't count towards FFP.
No. We are hoarding the money from player sales and Nike sponsorship for the stadium. That money can be legitimately used to buy the likes of Verratti, Mbappe, Sandro and what not.

Prodigal7

No. We are hoarding the money from player sales and Nike sponsorship for the stadium. That money can be legitimately used to buy the likes of Verratti, Mbappe, Sandro and what not.
Chelsea are still paying off Adidas for getting out of that sponsorship deal I believe which was a hefty chunk of cash. The biggest clue should be that if Abramovic was able to spend that kind of money then he would do as he has always done, so clearly he can't. Also, FFP is measured in three year intervals not every transfer window.
The days of Chelsea simply outbidding everyone for a player are over.

AshfordLad

Chelsea are still paying off Adidas for getting out of that sponsorship deal I believe which was a hefty chunk of cash. The biggest clue should be that if Abramovic was able to spend that kind of money then he would do as he has always done, so clearly he can't. Also, FFP is measured in three year intervals not every transfer window.
The days of Chelsea simply outbidding everyone for a player are over.
No. Their is significant evidence to point that Abrahmovic has changed his ways. He is just not willing to spend his own funds anymore. From Appointment of the transfer team, to the player trading operation etc.

There is no info to believe that a break clause with Adidas is stopping Chelsea. I mean even if Chelsea had to pay Adidas for one full year i.e. £30m they would still laugh all the way to the bank with the new Nike deal. Not to mention all the Yokohama money.

I could to point to the financials to demonstrate this as well but that would be a bit too much for a friday evening.

Prodigal7

No. Their is significant evidence to point that Abrahmovic has changed his ways. He is just not willing to spend his own funds anymore. From Appointment of the transfer team, to the player trading operation etc.

There is no info to believe that a break clause with Adidas is stopping Chelsea. I mean even if Chelsea had to pay Adidas for one full year i.e. £30m they would still laugh all the way to the bank with the new Nike deal. Not to mention all the Yokohama money.

I could to point to the financials to demonstrate this as well but that would be a bit too much for a friday evening.
He's not piling in his own funds anymore because he's not allowed to, its no more complicated than that. FFP has shown him that he needs a well oiled transfer structure to extract more value than he was before and tbf his team do a far better job than they have been given credit for. Without all the cattle market loan policy that Chelsea operate they would not have been able to buy players like Oscar, Hazard etc.

When you consider the amortization effect in buying players a £30m single payment is a lot of money. Chelsea's accounts make losses nearly every year and scrape the FFP criteria every time because Abramovic takes it right to the edge. This period is no different.

TheReligion

Abusive
You'll be lucky to get Sandro. None of the others will be joining Chelsea either

AshfordLad

He's not piling in his own funds anymore because he's not allowed to, its no more complicated than that..
Wrong. He is allowed to build stadium from his personal funds but but is choosing not to do so and use the club's income instead.

FFP has shown him that he needs a well oiled transfer structure to extract more value than he was before and tbf his team do a far better job than they have been given credit for. Without all the cattle market loan policy that Chelsea operate they would not have been able to buy players like Oscar, Hazard etc.
Wrong again. Oscar and Hazard were bought in 2012. Well before the player trading had given any results.

When you consider the amortization effect in buying players a £30m single payment is a lot of money. Chelsea's accounts make losses nearly every year and scrape the FFP criteria every time because Abramovic takes it right to the edge. This period is no different.
Losses are primary due to the salaries/costs of the loan farm. Other than that the club finances are in rude health.

Anyways, you are digressing from the point you initially made about the allowable infrastructure spending from outside funds. That is simply not the case and Abrahmovic is looking to fund the stadium from the club income while he can choose no to.

TheReligion

Abusive
Alex Sandro. We are not getting him for sure. Its just all chatter while in the end we will just bring back Baba Rahman.

Read my post carefully.
I'm sure you'll end up with some good signings I just think the whole Costa thing has been handled badly and will cause you difficulties.

AshfordLad

I'm sure you'll end up with some good signings I just think the whole Costa thing has been handled badly and will cause you difficulties.
Problem is good signings just dont cut it anymore when both Manchester clubs are willing spending nearly 200m each window.

Blind

Keeping Conte is key, there won't be a collapse with his level of detail and organisation.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Do not buy all these Conte meltdown reports, but you just have a feeling that somewhere down the line two personalities like Conte and Abramovich will clash.

Robbie Boy

Alex Sandro. We are not getting him for sure. Its just all chatter while in the end we will just bring back Baba Rahman.
FFS brain fart there! I was thinking Sandro the ex Spurs lad or Sandro who just joined Everton ans neither made any sense :lol:

Prodigal7

Wrong. He is allowed to build stadium from his personal funds but but is choosing not to do so and use the club's income instead.

Wrong again. Oscar and Hazard were bought in 2012. Well before the player trading had given any results.

Losses are primary due to the salaries/costs of the loan farm. Other than that the club finances are in rude health.

Anyways, you are digressing from the point you initially made about the allowable infrastructure spending from outside funds. That is simply not the case and Abrahmovic is looking to fund the stadium from the club income while he can choose no to.
1. I was referring to player acquisition funds. There is no way the club is paying for a new stadium from its income, at least not a substantial amount. The money will be lent to the club from Abramovic in some complex accounting form that effectively means Abramovic is paying for it. This is how he has always opperated and so technically the club always "pays".
2. OK then Fabregas or Costa if you're being pedantic. Substitute whichever players you want in there from a later period but as I said, FFP is measured in 3 year cycles anyway.
3. Not sure what your point is here. Costs are costs. You can't ignore the costs of the loan farm and only consider the benefits. No sane man would call Chelseas accounts healthy when they never turn a profit, but that doesn't matter anyway. As long as they're a few million short of FFP sanctions Abramovic wouldn't care and Chelsea fans have no reason to care as long as he's bankrolling things.

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Chelsea's home grown players last season:
  1. Begovic (now at Bournemouth)
  2. Cahill
  3. Chalobah (linked to Watford)
  4. Fabregas
  5. Moses
  6. Terry (now at Villa)
They've got a few U21s that will fulfill the criteria when they turn 22 but even then, they've sold Ake, loaned out Abraham, Loftus Cheek is linked to Newcastle and Brighton, and Musonda's future is unclear.

So Chelsea fans, do you think you'll attempt to plug the gap either by incoming transfers (like Lukaku is a target)/younger players on your books who have turned 22 or do you just not care about having a decent sized squad due to only having one serious injury to your players (Zouma) that I can remember over the past few years.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea's home grown players last season:
  1. Begovic (now at Bournemouth)
  2. Cahill
  3. Chalobah (linked to Watford)
  4. Fabregas
  5. Moses
  6. Terry (now at Villa)
They've got a few U21s that will fulfill the criteria when they turn 22 but even then, they've sold Ake, loaned out Abraham, Loftus Cheek is linked to Newcastle and Brighton, and Musonda's future is unclear.

So Chelsea fans, do you think you'll attempt to plug the gap either by incoming transfers (like Lukaku is a target)/younger players on your books who have turned 22 or do you just not care about having a decent sized squad due to only having one serious injury to your players (Zouma) that I can remember over the past few years.
Christensen will be 1.

I can see baker and Musonda (the latter has been given a low squad number if that means anything) making up the numbers. Maybe Aina as well.

In terms of transfers, we've been pretty weakly linked with Oxlade Chamberlain but no other "home growns" I can think of.

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Christensen will be 1.

I can see baker and Musonda (the latter has been given a low squad number if that means anything) making up the numbers. Maybe Aina as well.

In terms of transfers, we've been pretty weakly linked with Oxlade Chamberlain but no other "home growns" I can think of.
Doubt it. After being recalled from loan last season he wasn't played at all. There might be a difference of views between the club, Musonda and Conte. The club would want him to succeed given how highly rated he had been, Musonda has said himself/through his brother he'd like to stay at Chelsea and play, while Conte doesn't really rate him.

He might have a chance at the start of the season while Hazard is injured but doubt he'll get any starts in the league.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

I don't get this short termism at all. I've been a Chelsea fan now for 38 years. I've seen us relegated, on the brink of bankruptcy, champions of England and champions of Europe. If it's a choice between a new stadium that'll help cement our position as a well run, financially stable big club or a few years of extra trophies, then that is no choice at all to me. Not to mention the absolute wonder of having a glorious and totally unique stadium to call our home.

But we're not even sure we're taking an Arsenal-like route yet. We're linked with a world class defender for a world record price, linked with strikers in the 70-80m bracket and other players besides. How about we wait and see what actually happens before we start all the doom and gloom, eh?