g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Kapardin

Why would any first tier coach want to be Chelski manager is beyond me.
English journos are also pathetic. Just like Mou they are circling like sharks over Conte. Don’t like Conte at all but if there is a “palpable discord” between Conte and his players then the same theme keeps recurring over players sticking it to the manager the minute they start underperfoming. When will Abromovich wise up to the fact that his club is not RM or Barca where they can attract the top managers and coaches while offering little to no job security.
They know they can work with a few world class players with the chance of trophies at the least and will get a decent pay-off when sacked. Why wouldn't they want to join?

Oldyella

Football fans demand total commitment from players when in reality it just another daily jobs like others but with million paycheck.

Chelsea will sell him if the offer match their evaluation. But i dont think they will sell both Hazard and Courtois, its their top 2 best players, even Roman would not that crazy right?
Chelsea are normally pretty quick in moving players on who no longer want to be there.

Canagel

Its the constant moaning and whining that has brought to his downfall.He has acted like a spoiled kid, just get on with your job and not bring negativity to the room. Furthermore, you don't need a team filled with superstars to beat a Watford and Bournemouth. Conte has been acting as if he is managing a shit team who deserve to be relegated. He has just lost it and thats all doing of his own. He should ave been professional and tried to finish the season without making unnecessary noise.
This. He deserves no sympathy IMO. The players he has should be doing better and all he's done since the start of the season is moan and cry like he was preparing himself for failure. I don't understand some people saying he overachieved last season either and this is their real level. His tactics are poor. Everyone can see the 3-4-3 isn't working anymore yet he continues to persist with it. Lack of game management is another problem. A few weeks ago Chelsea needed to score to get back into the game against Arsenal and Conte's sub was to bring on Zappacosta for Moses. That was astonishing for me.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The 'secret' Chelsea 10 point plan, codename 'Souness'

1. Get rid of all promising youngsters (Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, whoever else looks like they might make it)

2. Buy not very promising fringe England internationals (Drinkwater, Barkley, Carroll)

3. Buy big man up front (prefer Crouch/Carroll, would settle for Giroud), revert to long ball style

4. Sack Conte when he complains about points 2 and 3

5. Sell Hazard and Courtois to Real Madrid

6. Buy Joe Hart

7. Get John Fashanu and Dennis Wise in as management team

8. Rebrand club as 'Wimbledon North' and rebrand team as 'The Lazy Gang'

9. Get relegated to Championship

10. Sell club

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Conte is getting sacked, it's not the Jose effect then, it's just that the owner of Chelsea FC is an absolute nutter.

Who would They bring in? Ancelotti again? Hiddink again? Luis Enrique? :houllier::houllier:

Hammerfell

The 'secret' Chelsea 10 point plan, codename 'Souness'

1. Get rid of all promising youngsters (Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, whoever else looks like they might make it)

2. Buy not very promising fringe England internationals (Drinkwater, Barkley, Carroll)

3. Buy big man up front (prefer Crouch/Carroll, would settle for Giroud), revert to long ball style

4. Sack Conte when he complains about points 2 and 3

5. Sell Hazard and Courtois to Real Madrid

6. Buy Joe Hart

7. Get John Fashanu and Dennis Wise in as management team

8. Rebrand club as 'Wimbledon North' and rebrand team as 'The Lazy Gang'

9. Get relegated to Championship

10. Sell club
I’m sure this sounded better in your head.

Esquire

They know they can work with a few world class players with the chance of trophies at the least and will get a decent pay-off when sacked. Why wouldn't they want to join?
I’m not so sure mate, a really top manager will have his choices, and would Chelski really be one of these choices, money aside? No control over transfers, a football director who essentially does not take your input onboard, players who have shown a pattern for insubordination, the list goes on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’m not so sure mate, a really top manager will have his choices, and would Chelski really be one of these choices, money aside? No control over transfers, a football director who essentially does not take your input onboard, players who have shown a pattern for insubordination, the list goes on.
But top managers won't always get top clubs, or clubs that pay big wages (for manager) and big transfer fee.

Chelsea is sort of risk free job, you get to work with top players and get a nice compensation with 0 damage to your reputation. If anything it enhances it because of all the sympathy.

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
How different is it at other clubs though, really? There is no job security and unless you land a job at City/PSG you won't have unlimited money or control over transfers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trizy

So Chelsea will have to fork him out about £20m to get him to resign.

Since 2004, how much have they spent on sacking managers? :lol:

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
So Chelsea will have to fork him out about £20m to get him to resign.

Since 2004, how much have they spent on sacking managers? :lol:
About £100m in 'exceptional items' or something in our accounts iirc :(

Esquire

How different is it at other clubs though, really? There is no job security and unless you land a job at City/PSG you won't have unlimited money or control over transfers.
I see your point though I can think of, for example, where PSG you have unlimited funding but you don’t get fired over one bad season. See last and current year for Emery. Liverpool with Klopp. Hell we even gave LVG a couple of years of football shit on a stick. With Chelsea you are simply a coach and nothing else. I’m not saying your club is not a top club, I’m just saying your ownership is all for short term success and this churning of coaches does not seem a sustainable model now that there is no unlimited funding anymore.

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
I see your point though I can think of, for example, where PSG you have unlimited funding but you don’t get fired over one bad season. See last and current year for Emery. Liverpool with Klopp. Hell we even gave LVG a couple of years of football shit on a stick. With Chelsea you are simply a coach and nothing else. I’m not saying your club is not a top club, I’m just saying your ownership is all for short term success and this churning of coaches does not seem a sustainable model now that there is no unlimited funding anymore.
I agree to some extent - it's worked for about a decade, but probably can't go on forever.

That said our finances suggest we'll spend (relatively) big this summer which will probably attract another decent coach. Repeat ad nauseum

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
If Conte is getting sacked, it's not the Jose effect then, it's just that the owner of Chelsea FC is an absolute nutter.

Who would They bring in? Ancelotti again? Hiddink again? Luis Enrique? :houllier::houllier:
Big John Terry probably.

Djemba-Djemba

The annoying thing is Chelsea tend to win trophies if they bring in an interim manager. Hiddink first time around, Di Matteo and even Benitez have all turned up at Chelsea halfway through the season and ended it with silverware.

Hiddink last time was the only time I can remember them not kicking on and doing anything after sacking a manager. Even fecking Avram Grant was a John Terry hilarious feck up away from winning the Champions League. In fact with a bit more luck Avram Grant could have won a treble!

Hitchez

The annoying thing is Chelsea tend to win trophies if they bring in an interim manager. Hiddink first time around, Di Matteo and even Benitez have all turned up at Chelsea halfway through the season and ended it with silverware.

Hiddink last time was the only time I can remember them not kicking on and doing anything after sacking a manager. Even fecking Avram Grant was a John Terry hilarious feck up away from winning the Champions League. In fact with a bit more luck Avram Grant could have won a treble!
Yep. Say what you want about Chelsea's managerial policies but you have to admit that they've got the trophies to back it up. Doubt Roman gives a feck.

ti vu

This. He deserves no sympathy IMO. The players he has should be doing better and all he's done since the start of the season is moan and cry like he was preparing himself for failure. I don't understand some people saying he overachieved last season either and this is their real level. His tactics are poor. Everyone can see the 3-4-3 isn't working anymore yet he continues to persist with it. Lack of game management is another problem. A few weeks ago Chelsea needed to score to get back into the game against Arsenal and Conte's sub was to bring on Zappacosta for Moses. That was astonishing for me.
Conte maybe one dimensional (which is why he needs specific profile of players. He pulled his hair out to force Chelsea to get), but he is clearly a good coach in what he does given the right circumstance and resource. Last season, they don't need the squad depth as they were not in Europe.

This season, they need both depth and quality as some key players moved as well as there needs to be some back up plan when the remaining key players can't keep their top form over the course of seasons. Valid points for Conte's request (which is similar to Mourinho's before the meltdown 2 years ago kicked in). Conte is still doing a fairly decent job at the moment if you can see past isolated slump of form/ final meltdown

Last edited:

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
I agree to some extent - it's worked for about a decade, but probably can't go on forever.

That said our finances suggest we'll spend (relatively) big this summer which will probably attract another decent coach. Repeat ad nauseum
Dont think there will be any big spending this summer for Chelsea and without promises of that, top quality coaches won’t join the club. Unless Roman makes fake promises on transfer budgets and see if any coach out there is dumb enough to be suckered.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
My issue with Conte is his obsession with 3 at the back and playing out from the back. His tactics at times are very one dimensional.

We can get back on track but we have to switch it up. We’ve been exposed.

Listar

My issue with Conte is his obsession with 3 at the back and playing out from the back. His tactics at times are very one dimensional.

We can get back on track but we have to switch it up. We’ve been exposed.
Tactics are the last thing that should be worrying you. No tactics would allow heavy defeats to lesser sides consecutively. I've heard from pundits talking about his body language and I have to concur. Compared to last year, it is so evident that he is frustrated with both off and on the pitch issues, and this seems to have rubbed off on his players. He was so animated and enthusiastic last season but this season, especially this year, he seems withdrawn into a shell and resigned to fate. No longer is he trying to actively managing like last year.

Those are tell-tale signs that a manager is on his way out, IMO.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Achieved more in England with far fewer resources and from a lower starting spot than Guardiola. As crazy as he is, guy didn't get things handed to him.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Looks like he trains his players very hard and runs them into ground. Chilleni is very complimetary towards him but i think when things go wrong even little things like banning crispss/ pasta before game can go a long way in creating tensions.

Web of Bissaka

“I think the Premier League is difficult. It’s hard to win every year. Last year we didn’t have the Champions League. This year we have less time to be ready for the games. Every week there are three games.”

“We changed a couple of things, we lost players, we brought some new ones and every year is different. That’s why we love football — if there is only one team that wins it would be boring. That’s why football is special. You never know what’s going to happen, especially in England.”

-Hazard

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Achieved more in England with far fewer resources and from a lower starting spot than Guardiola. As crazy as he is, guy didn't get things handed to him.
Not sure about this he had a fantastic squad that were only champions the season before they imploded. City and United were under heavy transitional in both squads so in essence he had to beat Liverpool Arsenal and Spurs to a title. Yes he won it fair and square so saying he didn’t get it handed to him is correct but he did have some very favourable circumstances going in his favour (no champions league).

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Selling Costa and buying Morata or selling Matic and buying Drinkwater are not the smartest moves in my opinion. Leading to an over reliance on players like Fabregas who shirk any responsibility and have pea sized hearts not s great combination in my opinion. Tipped them to drop out top four due to their transfers making them weaker.

Mihai92

Selling Costa and buying Morata or selling Matic and buying Drinkwater are not the smartest moves in my opinion. Leading to an over reliance on players like Fabregas who shirk any responsibility and have pea sized hearts not s great combination in my opinion. Tipped them to drop out top four due to their transfers making them weaker.
Costa would've been sold even If Conte wasn't the manager, because he wanted to leave. Morata was just a crisis buy, considering that they missed Lukaku. In the other side, selling Matic was not very inspiring from Conte. He might not be a world class player, but he does the job and is certain that he is a better player than Bakayoko, at least at the moment.
PS: If you want some interesting reading, go on chelseatalk forum and watch for the Baka thread:D

Eleven-Eighteen

They absolutely can. And probably will, given Abramovich's mercurial nature.

Article on Sky Sports saying that Arsenal should hire him, which i think would be a pretty good option for the Gunners IMO. Not sure if it's the best place for Conte though

Akshay

Staff
They absolutely can. And probably will, given Abramovich's mercurial nature.

Article on Sky Sports saying that Arsenal should hire him, which i think would be a pretty good option for the Gunners IMO. Not sure if it's the best place for Conte though
If Conte's unhappy with Chelsea's transfer spend I can't begin to imagine what he'll make of Arsenal's board.