Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sarri was appointed Napoli manager in June 2015. With a full preseason, the team took 3 months to register the defensive work and kick into high gear. His first 3 games at Napoli: 2-1 L, 2-2, 2-2. After that they turned into one of the best defences in the league

Point being, chelsea will keep sputtering on defence until October. If it goes longer than that, then something's not working

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Strengths and weaknesses of Alonso at the forefront today - when he's pinned back in his own half, he's a total liability defensively. When you have assured possession and are dominating the game though, he's a huge weapon to have in the final third.

Midfield looked very uncoordinated as others have said - having 6 players crash the 6 yard box regularly made no sense as cutbacks were free all day. The left side was also exposed regularly due to Barkley's poor positioning / defensive sense and Willian's abysmal workrate - really not sure what's going on with him. Hopefully Kovacic does better from that perspective, and his cameo was encouraging in his assured passing and dribbling as well as diligence tracking back. Hazard won't help a lot in terms of tracking back but he is extremely valuable as an outlet - he's very good holding the ball up and his presence makes fullbacks reluctant to attack in a way that Willian just doesn't.

Jorginho was assured in possession & made some brilliant passes; still has to catch up with the physicality of the game when defending though. Still confident it'll happen though, and I must say that the attack is well advanced of what I expected based on the challenges of implementing Sarri's system. Don't think we'll win the league but this result will go some ways towards getting back in the top 4 imo.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Yeah but what happens when Kante finds himself in advanced position with the ball ? He doesn't seem natural there with his decision making.
One of the best defensive midfielders in the World being played out of his natural habitat. He's a lost soul in his newly forced position and the defence is poorer for him playing that role. Long may it continue.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
One of the best defensive midfielders in the World being played out of his natural habitat. He's a lost soul in his newly forced position and the defence is poorer for him playing that role. Long may it continue.
This is a misunderstanding of the value of Kante - the biggest advantage he provides is relentless energy & an ability to press up and still recover. Shackling him to a role where he has to stay deep negates this for the most part - it's why Chelsea & Kante looked so bad when Conte was first appointed and he played a 4-3-3 with Kante sitting deep. Historically Kante has always been at his best when played in a midfield 2, since he covers so much ground he allows a midfield 2 to compete with a midfield 3.

In theory this should be the perfect use for him in a midfield 3 - given Sarri's dedication to pressing the opposition high up the pitch, Kante becomes arguably the best player in the world to have for that RCM role. He'll need to adapt his game to score more goals when he finds himself further forward, but he's already improved dramatically on the ball over the past two years and the early signs are good. He'll never be the passer Jorginho is, and having someone to play the regista role is arguably the most important tenant of Sarri-ball. Using him as a relentless high presser who can still recover is thus ideal - he's basically a rich man's Allan.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Kante at RW was akward.

They have several defenders who don‘t fit into a 4-man-defence. What are Emerson, Zappacosta and Christensen up to these days?

Besides, Kovacic looked great. They should sign him is as soon as possible, because after the season he will cost A LOT of money.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Kante at RW was akward.

They have several defenders who don‘t fit into a 4-man-defence. What are Emerson, Zappacosta and Christensen up to these days?

Besides, Kovacic looked great. They should sign him is as soon as possible, because after the season he will cost A LOT of money.
I mean, he wasn't playing RW - he was the right centre midfielder but pressed high. Pedro was the RW.

Zappacosta is much worse than Azpilicueta - even though Azpi hasn't lit the world afire in his first two games this year at RB, he's still a top top player and arguably the best defender in the PL. Would rather stick with him and let him bed in at RB again. Emerson I do agree is a more natural fit at LB than Alonso, but at the same time Alonso is such a threat going forward that it's hard to drop him. He's up there with the best left backs / left wing backs in the world from an attacking perspective, but he is so suspect defensively due to his lack of ability to change directions in 1v1 situations. I'd give Emerson a go; prior to tearing his ACL at Roma he was showing all the signs of being a very very good player.

Christensen is an interesting one - Sarri clearly values Luiz's ability to pass, which is somewhat touch and go at this point (he played Kante through with a lovely ball, but also gave it away on consecutive possessions). I'd love to see Rudiger and Luiz switch sides; I think Rudiger could cover for Alonso's failings much more while Luiz would have the more assured Azpi nearby, but I think Luiz isn't comfortable at RCB. I do still rate Christensen highly and would anticipate that he'll be in the side at some point this season; we'll have to see. He would definitely provide a more calming presence which might be very valuable.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We created a lot, going forward we look decent. Morata getting a goal was important for his confidence, especially against Arsenal who he had a shocker against last season, we need him to score 15 odd this season. We've got good options too, fairly sure Willian will be benched when Hazard is fit. Barkley will be rotated in midfield, starting to see what he can do. Wondering if we might try Barkley as one of the front 3 at some point as well. We need to fit RLC in somewhere as well.

Our defending as a team was woeful in the first half though, we didn't press well, Barkley and Kante didn't really know there positions properly. All the Midfielders and wide forwards didn't help the fullbacks out, Arsenal created about 5 clear cut chances from cut backs. Don't think we could have complained to go in 4 2 down at half time. Saved by Arsenals awful finishing.

Second half we looked way more solid. The front 6 helped out a lot more, better pressing. Having Kovacic and Hazard on the bench shows how strong our squad is.

This system needs a lot of running from the players, couple going down with cramp, it's only August. We're going to have 60+ games this season if we do well in the cups, so at least we'll actually be able to use our massive squad.

Reactions: Sultan

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He had a free roam role, which I thought he did excellent in.
He didn't. What you saw is a player who is still not sure what positions he's supposed to occupy and movements to make. So he makes mistakes

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea wins the title this season, they always seem to win it after a season of chaos and under a new coach in his debut season who interestingly always happens to be Italian. Top 4 is going to be brutal this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea will take time to completely understand their new managers ways but I still think they've got an excellent squad. Essentially they're only lacking a quality striker and, depending on what Sarri can do with their defence, possibly a CB. The ease with which they were opened up yesterday was alarming. But then again, it's a new system so it's hard to know how much has to do with that. If they still are that porous at the back, with Christianson playing alongside Rudiger then alarm bells will ring.

But they've got tons of ability in other areas. They've got an excellent midfield, albiet again players have to adjust to Sarri's ways such as Kante who seems to be struggling here and there.

Kovacic looked brilliant when he came on. Is this a permanent deal for Chelsea?

But yeah, Morata upfront as the main striker is the biggest thing I see letting them down. The squad in general is really good despite all the doom and gloom I've been reading about their slim chances for a top 4 finish.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea wins the title this season, they always seem to win it after a season of chaos and under a new coach in his debut season who interestingly always happens to be Italian. Top 4 is going to be brutal this season.
I'd be surprised. They've got a new manager whose ways require more adjustment from the players IMO and the added roadblock of a much stronger front runner in City and overall top 4 will prove too much to handle. They could we'll finish in the top 4 though.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is a misunderstanding of the value of Kante - the biggest advantage he provides is relentless energy & an ability to press up and still recover. Shackling him to a role where he has to stay deep negates this for the most part - it's why Chelsea & Kante looked so bad when Conte was first appointed and he played a 4-3-3 with Kante sitting deep. Historically Kante has always been at his best when played in a midfield 2, since he covers so much ground he allows a midfield 2 to compete with a midfield 3.

In theory this should be the perfect use for him in a midfield 3 - given Sarri's dedication to pressing the opposition high up the pitch, Kante becomes arguably the best player in the world to have for that RCM role. He'll need to adapt his game to score more goals when he finds himself further forward, but he's already improved dramatically on the ball over the past two years and the early signs are good. He'll never be the passer Jorginho is, and having someone to play the regista role is arguably the most important tenant of Sarri-ball. Using him as a relentless high presser who can still recover is thus ideal - he's basically a rich man's Allan.
But Chelsea didn't press high at all in the game?? Arsenal had so much time on the ball they could pick passes for fun.
Chelsea had to fall back on their attacking strengths to dig them out here, it could and should have been six all.
Kante was lost out there, a passenger at times and his footballing technique is quite awful and cringeworthy to watch at times.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Jorginho and Kante can be used in the midfield as Xabi and Mascherano were back then, no? Kante as the destroyer and attack breaker and Jorginho with the vision and passing range.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Feel like I was watching a different game than some here. Thought all of our midfielders were good yesterday, Kante included. I think he will be great in this new role.

I think Jorginho being pretty exposed will be less of a problem once Kovacic gets up to speed because we'll have even more control of possession than we already do. He can put a shift in as well defensively if needed.

Our Achilles heel will continue to be the left side of our defense if Luiz and Alonso remain in the team. But even there we made adjustments in the 2nd half and looked much better. I'm sure when Sarri and the players study the film they'll also work on having the midfielders help more with their positioning to aid Luiz and Alonso.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Let's not post stupid tweets from random folks

Some people not enjoying Sarri's work.

Last edited by a moderator:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And that's Darmian in his profile pic

Wow :lol::lol::lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Feel like I was watching a different game than some here. Thought all of our midfielders were good yesterday, Kante included. I think he will be great in this new role.

I think Jorginho being pretty exposed will be less of a problem once Kovacic gets up to speed because we'll have even more control of possession than we already do. He can put a shift in as well defensively if needed.

Our Achilles heel will continue to be the left side of our defense if Luiz and Alonso remain in the team. But even there we made adjustments in the 2nd half and looked much better. I'm sure when Sarri and the players study the film they'll also work on having the midfielders help more with their positioning to aid Luiz and Alonso.
I would agree the left side is an issue, yesterday the problems were mainly caused by our midfield though, Barkley and Willian especially. First cut back (which Auba skied) comes about because Barkley & Willian far too deep, they don't get anywhere near pressing Guendouzi who basically has the freedom of the midfield to play in Monreal. Willian is actually behind Barkley, positioning is all over the place.

Second cut back on the other flank, Kante is in a good position to block it, but it goes through his legs and Mikhi skies it.

First Arsenal goal, it's Willian and Barkley again, Barkley with short square ball, Willian robbed and he just jogs back ball watching, Mikhi ambles to the edge of the box, he's literally got 10 meters of space, can pick his spot, Barkley is about that distance behind him, no idea defensibly at all.

Second Arsenal goal is Willian / Barkley again, Willian doesn't press Geundouzi (again..), they're just ball watching, marking no one inside as Monreal / Mikhi 2 on 1 Alonso, Mikhi again has about 10 meters of space to cut back for Iwobi to slot it. Also Monreal just wanders past Willian, who literally just stands there, could haven cut back to him as well. Comedy / Horror show really.

You get the idea. I imagine Sarri will need an entire pack to get through watching the video of our defence in the first half. In the second half they were much better, hopefully Sarri got the message across, and next game will be a big improvement, if they actually play.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

Once the defenders are better drilled in the system things will improve, there was a lack of communication between who was supposed to be picking up who in the channels which resulted in a few clear chances for arsenal. Those cutbacks will be more problematic if they're still happening in the second half of the season as they should be a little more finely attuned by then.

However I suspect you'll probably buy another centre half. It's incredibly difficult to play an open expansive system with a high line if your centre halves lack pace. I think next season is when you'll see a real Sarri side.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Agreed. Kante is more of a Gattuso than a Makelele. You want him charging around everywhere using his ridiculous stamina levels and pressing ability, not just sitting back waiting for the opposition. And next to him you want that deep lying playmaker who can also do his fair share of the defensive work. That is the question at the moment - will Jorginho be good enough defensively to hold that position and allow Kante to wander, or will it leave you guys weak through the centre? So far he's looked a bit shaky defensively.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think Sarri said something a while back about the defense being the hardest part of his system to train, so I’m not too worried about that being our biggest weakness at the moment. There’s a lot of talent in our CB options, so it should come together with lots of hard work.

Wildly happy with 2 wins in two. Didn’t expect that at all.

Varun

Staff
I hope he gets sacked before he can mould Chelsea into his side completely

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I mean, he wasn't playing RW - he was the right centre midfielder but pressed high. Pedro was the RW.

Zappacosta is much worse than Azpilicueta - even though Azpi hasn't lit the world afire in his first two games this year at RB, he's still a top top player and arguably the best defender in the PL. Would rather stick with him and let him bed in at RB again. Emerson I do agree is a more natural fit at LB than Alonso, but at the same time Alonso is such a threat going forward that it's hard to drop him. He's up there with the best left backs / left wing backs in the world from an attacking perspective, but he is so suspect defensively due to his lack of ability to change directions in 1v1 situations. I'd give Emerson a go; prior to tearing his ACL at Roma he was showing all the signs of being a very very good player.

Christensen is an interesting one - Sarri clearly values Luiz's ability to pass, which is somewhat touch and go at this point (he played Kante through with a lovely ball, but also gave it away on consecutive possessions). I'd love to see Rudiger and Luiz switch sides; I think Rudiger could cover for Alonso's failings much more while Luiz would have the more assured Azpi nearby, but I think Luiz isn't comfortable at RCB. I do still rate Christensen highly and would anticipate that he'll be in the side at some point this season; we'll have to see. He would definitely provide a more calming presence which might be very valuable.
Would've thought Cahill would be best fit for a flat back 4. He seems to have completely disappeared, didn't even make the bench so guess he's off in January. Been a very good servant for Chelsea.

jmaggio

The guy loves a ciggie doesn’t he. Italy hasn’t had anywhere near the level of anti smoking campaigns as the rest of the world. I wouldn’t be suprised if it has the highest rate of daily users in the world.

TheReligion

Abusive
Chelsea look slick going forward but vulnerable in that area between defence and midfield. A poor Arsenal side created plenty from being allowed time in such areas. From reading what some are reporting on Sarri this is normal until things settle down so I'm sure they'll iron this out and be the full package in the coming weeks.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
The patterns of play are there. It will probably be around Christmas we start seeing the fruits of Maurizio Sarris's coaching.

They have a problem with their spacing especially in their defensive phases. I'm interested to see how Kante evolves.

If you had told me 23 years ago that the best exponents of the position game would be played in the Premier League and they were both Italian and Spanish, I would have thought you were insane, yet here we are...

Kobe15

Chelsea look slick going forward but vulnerable in that area between defence and midfield. A poor Arsenal side created plenty from being allowed time in such areas. From reading what some are reporting on Sarri this is normal until things settle down so I'm sure they'll iron this out and be the full package in the coming weeks.
This is so similar to Pep's first season at city where their defence wasn't looking good, Otamendi and Stones were looking shaky, they looked like world beaters last season. The pressing game is the first line of defence and it takes time for teams to learn how to implement it effectively.The team becomes vulnerable if its not done well,it took city a season to perfect the press

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But Chelsea didn't press high at all in the game?? Arsenal had so much time on the ball they could pick passes for fun.
Chelsea had to fall back on their attacking strengths to dig them out here, it could and should have been six all.
Kante was lost out there, a passenger at times and his footballing technique is quite awful and cringeworthy to watch at times.
Chelsea pressed high very effectively during their periods of dominance - it's not a coincidence that Arsenal had their best period when Chelsea's high press was disjointed. This is how Sarri prefers to defend and this was his assessment as well - it will take a while to get everyone on the same page but Arsenal were totally pressed out of the game for the first ~20-25 minutes and for the entire second half.

Agreed. Kante is more of a Gattuso than a Makelele. You want him charging around everywhere using his ridiculous stamina levels and pressing ability, not just sitting back waiting for the opposition. And next to him you want that deep lying playmaker who can also do his fair share of the defensive work. That is the question at the moment - will Jorginho be good enough defensively to hold that position and allow Kante to wander, or will it leave you guys weak through the centre? So far he's looked a bit shaky defensively.
Totally agree - Jorginho has looked top class on the ball, but is still coming to grips with the physicality of the league. He's so press resistant though that it doesn't affect him a ton whilst in possession, but defensively he is definitely struggling. Hopefully he'll figure it out, but my word is he an unbelievable passer.

Would've thought Cahill would be best fit for a flat back 4. He seems to have completely disappeared, didn't even make the bench so guess he's off in January. Been a very good servant for Chelsea.
Don't think Cahill is capable of playing in a high line - his tendency as well has always been to retreat retreat retreat, and I don't think this would work for Sarri's system. He's also a shocking passer who is not at all comfortable in possession, which would also present issues.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The patterns of play are there. It will probably be around Christmas we start seeing the fruits of Maurizio Sarris's coaching.

They have a problem with their spacing especially in their defensive phases. I'm interested to see how Kante evolves.

If you had told me 23 years ago that the best exponents of the position game would be played in the Premier League and they were both Italian and Spanish, I would have thought you were insane, yet here we are...
It's beautiful,isn't it?! Sarri impressed me how quick can translate his ideas to the players and in a situation much difficult to the time when Pep arrived at City. The Chelsea squad overall is far more not suitable on paper to play the ''Sarriball'' than City's in 2016.. That being said i expect the team to be in a transitional period during the whole season. Sarri needs some transfers and a lot of coaching to get them where he wants. We will see the true ''Sarriball'' next season but the question is if Abramovich and co will have the patience if the results this year are not brilliant?!

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
It's beautiful,isn't it?! Sarri impressed me how quick can translate his ideas to the players and in a situation much difficult to the time when Pep arrived at City. The Chelsea squad overall is far more not suitable on paper to play the ''Sarriball'' than City's in 2016.. That being said i expect the team to be in a transitional period during the whole season. Sarri needs some transfers and a lot of coaching to get them where he wants. We will see the true ''Sarriball'' next season but the question is if Abramovich and co will have the patience if the results this year are not brilliant?!
I still remmeber when people were saying the Premier League is a different animal and 'that kind of football' could not be played there. How times have changed.

I think they will give him time. He won't fall out with the players like Mourinho and constantly fight with the board like Antonio Conte.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
This is so similar to Pep's first season at city where their defence wasn't looking good, Otamendi and Stones were looking shaky, they looked like world beaters last season. The pressing game is the first line of defence and it takes time for teams to learn how to implement it effectively.The team becomes vulnerable if its not done well,it took city a season to perfect the press
100%. The pressing in the 2nd half was a lot more controlled and the team structure more compact throughout. In the first half it was quite gung-ho (for us anyways), but a complete loss of structure when the players needed a breather.

Even if it takes two seasons, I'm just happy not seeing 4 mediocre defenders (and Azpilicueta) start every game. Unsurprisingly the club will probably invest in some suitable fullbacks at the end of the season - again similar to City. The trend for the club has actually been towards being more patient. Jose was kept around a lot longer than he should have been. Could make a similar argument for Conte as he fell out with big players and the board early into his second year.

Fer

I think Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic are going to be one of the best midfields this season, they complement each other and offer balance to the team.

At the end, we are going to compete with them for the 3rd place.