Chelsea vs. Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue always red

Dowd the feckin' twat...

Our deficiencies have been well and truly highlighted:

1) Our most creative midfielder only creates well when he is afforded time and space on the ball. The only player to give him this, so far, is Cleverley who then doesn't contribute enough because his objective is to recycle the ball to Carrick and then drag players away from him with little runs.
2) Our manager takes one step forward and two back. It was clear against Swansea that we had multiple attacking approaches, ranging from attacking through the middle to crossing from the wings. Today, he adopted the wings or nothing approach, and as demonstrated countless times, our wingers did feck all on the whole.
3) Jones, as Neville pointed out, isn't sharp enough to play in midfield so throwing him in after a spell on the side was suicide. I'd understand if he was tasked with man marking a player all game, such as Ronaldo, but against Chelsea were their forward line continually shifts, it was daft.
4) The difference in X11 attacking quality between United and the top teams is stupidly high. Without Rooney or RVP, our attacking threat is mid-table.
5) Our best midfielder today was Hernandez...
6) When left under pressure, we literally do revert to long-balls into the channels which I have yet to see ever work against top teams.
7) Mourinho's teams still play defensive shite.

On a positive note, in the first half we had some good interchanging between Welbeck, Young and Januzaj. Also, I'm so glad I'm no longer in the Newbs or else I'd be contemplating becoming a monk right about now.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
And you are the bestest fan in the whole history of football fandom. Congratulations sir!

I wasn't saying that he should be sacked, only that pretty much any other team wouldn't have our patience.

doubt any half decent club would sack their manager after replacing a manager of so many years. Moyes problem has been a combination of poor decision in the summer and bad luck with injuries....

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Like feck we would:lol:

It was a normal yellow card challenge. I'm guessing you didn't "see" Luiz's many reckless challenges today.

I did, He could have been sent off too, doesnt mean that any other should not be. I would have called it a yellow, but im not shocked a red was given. Rafaels was a certain red saved by the fact Vidic got one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think Dowd was actually going to even give a yellow to Rafael, he got influenced by the Chelsea players.

Yeah he steamed in, but was flat, and won the ball 100%.
Reminded me of his challenge at Liverpool that also got a yellow, after the ref bottled sending Carragher off.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Of course I do. OK, I agree he needs time, but how long? He doesn't have a club to rebuild from top to bottom like SAF did. So how long and in what position would we have to be in before we said enough is enough. Just so I know not to moan during that time.:)
:lol: Oh go ahead and moan...it'll change feck all. You are a team that has just lost the best manager football has seen and you expect things to carry on as normal? The football world has changed as we not only have RA and his billions we have the Arabs at City & Arse have the continuity of Wenger so they will always be in the top 4 so unless the Glazers compete with transfers you will get used to being down the pecking order.

As for how long Moyes has....finish outside the top 5 for a couple of seasons and he'll be gone. If he goes before that MU will become just another PL club.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Oh go ahead and moan...it'll change feck all. You are a team that has just lost the best manager football has seen and you expect things to carry on as normal? The football world has changed as we not only have RA and his billions we have the Arabs at City & Arse have the continuity of Wenger so they will always be in the top 4 so unless the Glazers compete with transfers you will get used to being down the pecking order.

As for how long Moyes has....finish outside the top 5 for a couple of seasons and he'll be gone. If he goes before that MU will become just another PL club.

This. Ive said it before, Moyes will not and should not go until he has at least one full season with a chance to compare to his previous one. Right now he is being compared to the last season which was SAF's

That is another full season, and if not improvement is shown then movement is more justified.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

that sounds right.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

That is what we have to find out. They keep coming out that the money is there. If we don't spend now then they will have to spend big in the summer. Otherwise the fans will not believe a word they say.

Varun

Staff
I think he can be a top player too, but as with all pundits they try and compare it to Messi and Souness talking about him and that he could be reaching Messi levels.

Ah, I didnt see that. He's not going to be another Messi, that's for sure.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
doubt any half decent club would sack their manager after replacing a manager of so many years. Moyes problem has been a combination of poor decision in the summer and bad luck with injuries....
I totally agree.

Personally I don't want to see Moyes sacked. The point I was trying to make was that he wouldn't be afforded the same leniency at any other club. AVB was sacked for far less at Tottenham.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
That is what we have to find out. They keep coming out that the money is there. If we don't spend now then they will have to spend big in the summer. Otherwise the fans will not believe a word they say.
This is exactly it DT. We haven't competed in the market for some time, it will be a step change for us to get any marquee signings, or even a very good player in their prime.

gasmanc

Banned
For me, and i am slightly drink, the first half was one of the best performances, given the fixture, that we've put in all season.Small margins today and we'll get 4th!
We were excellent first half, not bad 2nd if the saying you would rather be lucky than good applies it applied here today. Eto (who is shit) gets a hatrick you know your shit out of luck.

Salfordlad70

In general I am feeling ok despite the result.Actually I feel depressed to feck but that is more to do with the responses on here.I barely bothered intil I arrived home but I thought there would be more positivity tbh!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In general I am feeling ok despite the result.Actually I feel depressed to feck but that is more to do with the responses on here.I barely bothered intil I arrived home but I thought there would be more positivity tbh!
No you didn't... come on, this is the caf!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We were probably unlucky to an extent, but we have to start playing like that and getting results. They don't give you points for performance alone.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
They don't have the money City or chelsea have but then spending big doesn't always guarentee a player fitting in. Hopefully for you Moyes is getting his head round being in charge of a unique club and the owners put a few quid his way for players who work their socks off for him....unlike Fellani who seemed to think his job was done when he signed his lucrative contract.

Salfordlad70

You're right DT but we wre up against it today but I thought the teams attitude was spot on and that is something I have been critical of of late.Moyes was positive with his team and that first goal was so fortunate.Bad defending for the second but the response to the first goal was good.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
You were slightly unlucky, but that was not the reason you lost today, as you make your own luck.

We werent as fluent as we we're against Soton second half, or Liverpool, but we are showing that balance of fluency, power and grit that we were missing in the past 3 seasons.

If anything we seem to have our steel back, and today we did not play defensively, Jose seems to be using the European group stage method of playing for a point away at all the big rivals and beating them at home, and before some of you chime in about United being a rival, whatever has happened this season so far United are still classed as a team to be very wary of.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can't really see a team that would increase our chances much.

What would you play?
I'd have started with the same set up as the second half vs Swansea.

The alternative to Fletcher was a central defender who's probably even less match fit than Fletcher anyway. The alternative to Kagawa, was, it seems, playing Janujaz in the role he was completely ineffective in against Swansea in the first half, and the alternative to having Janujaz on the wing was to play Ashley Young there.

I can't see how any sane person can make an argument that all three of these changes didn't make us a weaker team. It would have been a challenge to make that argument without coming across as an imbecile before the game, let alone with the hindsight of the game, in which Jones cost us a goal within 30 minutes, Young had to be taken off, and Janujaz spent the whole time pretending he was playing on the left wing even before he was moved there.

Status
Not open for further replies.