Music Childish Gambino (Donald Glover)

JP77

Only had a quick listen, sounds very different and probably needs a few more listens really. Early impression for me is that it's nowhere near the level of Camp, but I need a few proper play throughs.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I really like it. He said he wanted to create experiences rather than albums, and he succeeded.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Last song has more to it, knowing that, there might be more stuff too. Childish Gambino, super troll.

http://becausetheinter.net/

All the songs are in that, but its long/

MoneyMay

I've not had a look at the site yet, but what does it contain/explain?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been listening to some of the stuff on STN MTN and Kauai recently. Sober is quality. Palisades and Retro too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's released a single from his new album (Awaken, My Love!) called Me and your Mama, only on Apple music at the min but trying to find a mirror.

Excited for a new Gambino album. :D

EDIT: Oh apparently not on Apple music but was on Youtube but that's not working for some reason. Possibly on Spotify.

Dunno if that will work as it seems it's not out in NZ right now so I can't listen to it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I have no idea what to make of these two songs. Think I need to listen to this album as if it's a completely different artist.

Smooth as hell though, it's a good sound.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Gambino's ambition and ideas were always clear, what with Because the Internet having that accompanying screenplay and whatnot, but he couldn't keep my attention for more than a few minutes at a time. I've always loved 'That Power' and I enjoyed the odd song from his last couple of projects but nothing really got regular rotation outside of 'Sweatpants' or '3005'.

So you can imagine my gleeful surprise when I heard that he'd changed direction this much and released a track that's as diverse as he intended it to be. It's not spectacular but it hints towards a larger project that could be. The intro is too long and the fade out is too long as well, but everything that happens in between is a delight. With this being released alongside the worldwide release of Atlanta in 2017, he could be onto something big.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Quite like both Me And Your Mama & Redbone. Even though I do think MAYM is a bit shouty.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I remember a song with Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul being pretty okay, but other than that one, nah.
Fair enough. I see Gambino as a musician before an actor.

Bubz27

Yeah same. I like his stuff, it's different. Songs like 3005, Sweatpants and We Ain't Them are great.
I recently reviewed Centipede and Yaphet Kotto. Completely forgotten about them. I'm a big fan tbh, went to see him a few years ago. Was amazing.

Bubz27

So, what do people think? Came out today. Leaked yesterday.

It's a soul/funk album. An album for his son really. Some great tracks on there, not what you'd expect from Gambino but more versatility. Definitely needs a few listens, which I've given it today, and it is growing on me. California seems to be love or hate right now.

Also J.Cole next week, Cudi the week after. Could be a nice month for mucus. RTJ in January as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Listening to it now. Currently on Baby Boy.

He changes his voice so much not just compared to all his previous work but on almost every track. I think people don't like songs like California because it doesn't sound like his voice but if you just listen to it for what it is I think it's great. California is one of my faves so far.

This is some babymakin' music.

Also new J Cole? WHAAAAT.

Bubz27

Listening to it now. Currently on Baby Boy.

He changes his voice so much not just compared to all his previous work but on almost every track. I think people don't like songs like California because it doesn't sound like his voice but if you just listen to it for what it is I think it's great. California is one of my faves so far.

This is some babymakin' music.

Also new J Cole? WHAAAAT.
My favourites are Stand Tall and The Night Me and Your Mama Met. Riot and Terrified are great as well. I like California on one listen and then the next I'm not sure.

Him and Frank Ocean have really experimented with pitch and tone in their latest releases.

Yeah, next week apparently. Come outta nowhere I think. I seen a verse today where he's throwing shots at someone. He hasn't lost it!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Album is so good. It's gradually grown on me more and more.

prath92

This guy is great. Him and kendrick are quite possibly my favourite of this era. Maybe even Anderson.paak if you consider him a true rapper

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Holy shit, I just realised it was him singing Redbone himself. I was convinced it was a woman. Mind = blown

Great song.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He had a total reformation on this album. Because The Internet was good, but man he channeled his inner Bootsy Collins and everything on this album.
Holy shit, I just realised it was him singing Redbone himself. I was convinced it was a woman. Mind = blown

Great song.
It's also done with little - if any - pitch alteration.
Struggles to find his range a bit at the start but then it picks up well

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Redbone is dope. Didn't like any other song in the album though.

I was also shocked to find out he is not Danny Glovers son