China bullies Hong Kong

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What exactly do you mean? :confused:
What exactly are they protesting for? China has been very off hand approach in dealing with hong kong.

But there has to be a line, hong kong belongs to china just like any other city. They have to accept it.

Hongkong people are being marginalized and losing their culture and identity isnt because of oppresion or some evil design of china, but more because of economic force of being in the same area with Shenzhen and the rest of china.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-mainla...in-Hong-Kong-on-the-extradition-law-amendment

Here you can read various comments from both sides. It's a very delicate problem with no black and white.

Last edited:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
First point, Hong Kong is actually in China and it’s only because of war mongering imperialist dope selling fellow countryman of mine that people are under the illusion that Hong Kong isn’t in China.
Second point is the troubling attitude of the Chinese authorities towards the personal liberties of their citizens and their dreadful human rights record.

nimic

something nice
Scout
What exactly are they protesting for? China has been very off hand approach in dealing with hong kong.

But there has to be a line, hong kong belongs to china just like any other city. They have to accept it.

Hongkong people are being marginalized and losing their culture and identity isnt because of oppresion or some evil design of china, but more because of economic force of being in the same area with Shenzhen and the rest of china.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-mainla...in-Hong-Kong-on-the-extradition-law-amendment

Here you can read various comments from both sides. It's a very delicate problem with no black and white.
Not just like any other city. One country, two systems. For a few more years, anyway.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not just like any other city. One country, two systems. For a few more years, anyway.
Two system is subjective. There are alot of privilege hong kong people enjoys, but as a city of china there are certain things that needs to follow the national system.

They're arguing about protecting a killer from taiwan, you go out protesting just because taiwan wants a killer extradited back for punishment and you blame china for it? It's absurd.

All the fear about abuse is unfounded, if you live your life well you'd be safe. And if you're talking about starting a revolution or riots or public inciting you will get detained, just like any other places in the world.

It's like saying you dont trust the cop not to abuse the power and yoi protest on abolishing the law altogether. It's not gonna happen. Without that law anyone doing crime in china can simply go to hong kong and be scot free.

InfiniteBoredom

Well that’s the problem. When another 27 got cut down to ‘a few more years’.

It was never going to last regardless. I think at some points all hell will break loose and the UN will stand idly by while China crack down on secession calls from the populace.

Fully Fledged

What can they do about it? Threaten China? China doesn't give a shit about the UK.

I don't know what people expected. HK is part of China whether they like it or not and baiting the government was only ever going to end one way.
Force them to buy our drugs.

Cal?

CR7 fan

I live in Hong Kong and know perfectly well what's been going on and have no interest in what mainlanders think.

Hong Kong's GDP per capita is actually amongst the highest in the world ahead of the likes of Germany and the UK.

Two system is subjective. There are alot of privilege hong kong people enjoys, but as a city of china there are certain things that needs to follow the national system.

They're arguing about protecting a killer from taiwan, you go out protesting just because taiwan wants a killer extradited back for punishment and you blame china for it? It's absurd.

All the fear about abuse is unfounded, if you live your life well you'd be safe. And if you're talking about starting a revolution or riots or public inciting you will get detained, just like any other places in the world.

It's like saying you dont trust the cop not to abuse the power and yoi protest on abolishing the law altogether. It's not gonna happen. Without that law anyone doing crime in china can simply go to hong kong and be scot free.
The absurdity here is the way the government has tried to leverage the Taiwan murder into passing legislation for extradition to mainland China. The Taiwanese authorities have already confirmed they will NOT accept the extradition under the proposed amendment and plenty of legal experts in both Hong Kong and Taiwan have suggested numerous alternatives for this case.

The Hong Kong government has pressed ahead with the proposed amendment because it allows mainland China to capture whoever they want in Hong Kong. That's they key issue here.

If by living your life well you mean abide by the CCP's every wish, having no freedom of speech, you have a very different idea of living well to most. :rolleyes:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
2 systems like US and Puerto Rico? No right to vote your own president and without representatives at any decision that effects your territory?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I live in Hong Kong and know perfectly well what's been going on and have no interest in what mainlanders think.

Hong Kong's GDP per capita is actually amongst the highest in the world ahead of the likes of Germany and the UK.

The absurdity here is the way the government has tried to leverage the Taiwan murder into passing legislation for extradition to mainland China. The Taiwanese authorities have already confirmed they will NOT accept the extradition under the proposed amendment and plenty of legal experts in both Hong Kong and Taiwan have suggested numerous alternatives for this case.

The Hong Kong government has pressed ahead with the proposed amendment because it allows mainland China to capture whoever they want in Hong Kong. That's they key issue here.

If by living your life well you mean abide by the CCP's every wish, having no freedom of speech, you have a very different idea of living well to most. :rolleyes:
So. What is it you guys want?

InfiniteBoredom

The CCP to honor the treaty they signed and stop the erosion of Hong Kong.
That’s a half truth tbh, I’m not trying to both-side here but the fact is even if China abides by the agreement, by 2047 the populace would most likely push for independence or at the very least continued autonomy regardless, which given the economic power of the island is a no go for the CCP.

Hong Kong had the leverage to push for that deal 20 years ago, but the growth and booming middle class of China effectively erased that. Good luck getting any major power to pipe up for you.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The CCP to honor the treaty they signed and stop the erosion of Hong Kong.
The erosion will be a natural byproduct of integrating hk with the mainland.

A 7 million population country joining the 1.3 billion bigger country, the culture wealth social aspect will flow bothways. There's nothing stopping that. People from both sides will mix, migration both ways, capital, information, even culture and many other aspect as time goes by. Wealth discrepancies between hk and her surrounding will even up too with capitals and human resources flows both ways.

The only way hk can stay hk pre 1997 is to secede themselves, but let's face it that aint gonna happened.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That’s a half truth tbh, I’m not trying to both-side here but the fact is even if China abides by the agreement, by 2047 the populace would most likely push for independence or at the very least continued autonomy regardless, which given the economic power of the island is a no go for the CCP.

Hong Kong had the leverage to push for that deal 20 years ago, but the growth and booming middle class of China effectively erased that. Good luck getting any major power to pipe up for you.
That’s unfortunately very true. But it’s not exactly asking for much just asking them to honor an international treaty they signed.

What happens in 2047 is an issue for the next generation.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The erosion will be a natural byproduct of integrating hk with the mainland.

A 7 million population country joining the 1.3 billion bigger country, the culture wealth social aspect will flow bothways. There's nothing stopping that. People from both sides will mix, migration both ways, capital, information, even culture and many other aspect as time goes by. Wealth discrepancies between hk and her surrounding will even up too with capitals and human resources flows both ways.

The only way hk can stay hk pre 1997 is to secede themselves, but let's face it that aint gonna happened.
None of the changes the fact they the CCP is reneging on their promise.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wow. Just yesterday police detained more than 400 people on a peaceful protest in Moscow... and even than I’d say that we have a more humane public policy than China. I’m not too surprised when I see similar statements coming from the residents — the system is built in a way that they think that it’s okay. But to see such an opinion from someone from an outside is, well, surprising at least.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wow. Just yesterday police detained more than 400 people on a peaceful protest in Moscow... and even than I’d say that we have a more humane public policy than China. I’m not too surprised when I see similar statements coming from the residents — the system is built in a way that they think that it’s okay. But to see such an opinion from someone from an outside is, well, surprising at least.
Ive had mine recently 22 may protest in Indonesia. You're too naive if you think most protest ended up with protester happily goes home.

Tear gas, water canon, baton charge, detention of trouble maker is standard operating procedure anywhere in the world to disperse a protest.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Tear gas, water canon, baton charge, detention of trouble maker is standard operating procedure anywhere in the world to disperse a protest.
In authoritarian countries, yes. Although I notice you said "detention of trouble makers", like that somehow encapsulates what is going on in Hong Kong.

Sweet Square

But not in the way and the scope that they are used in Hong Kong right now. And not for the same reasons.
They are used in the same way. Unless I'm missing something 11 people were arrested yesterday, right ? There were 288 arrests on May Day in Paris this year.

And not for the same reasons.
Well of course. My point is that it clearly isn't only authoritarian governments that send in riot squads to beat the shit out of people.

Zlatattack

The whole 1 nation 2 systems setup is absurd. If Muslims in the west wanted shariah based enclaves you'd all be outraged (rightfully so). What's good for the goose...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/opinion/china-bullies-hong-kong.html

Not that many of you will care much about it, but just another part of the dreadful 2016.
Oh come on Cal, that's unfair. Nearly 2 pages in 3 years is not too ba- ....feck.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The whole 1 nation 2 systems setup is absurd. If Muslims in the west wanted shariah based enclaves you'd all be outraged (rightfully so). What's good for the goose...
Weird analogy to be honest.

The mainland Chinese leadership is a weird bunch. Obsessed with control, and constantly betraying their inferiority status with their blatant copying of Western inventions, and sabre rattling in the South China Sea. And heaven forbid some Chinese in Taiwan or Hong Kong would rather not live under a repressive dictatorship where there are no rights.

InfiniteBoredom

They were an independent region from China for 2 centuries prior to the 1997 agreement, the situation is not even close to analogous. Singapore had a similar development, was a British colony, rejoined Malaysian mainland as a nation before deciding to secede.

Zlatattack

They were an independent region from China for 2 centuries prior to the 1997 agreement, the situation is not even close to analogous. Singapore had a similar development, was a British colony, rejoined Malaysian mainland as a nation before deciding to secede.
Only because Britain fought a war to sell Chinese opium. Those people and those lands have been Chinese for thousands of years. Don't shamelessly defend the colonial past as legitimate. Colonialism should be looked at in the same way as slavery.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Only because Britain fought a war to sell Chinese opium. Those people and those lands have been Chinese for thousands of years. Don't shamelessly defend the colonial past as legitimate. Colonialism should be looked at in the same way as slavery.
Colonialism is bad. That, nor ancient claims, should have no claim on the current issue in Hong Kong or Taiwan. The desires of their inhabitants should be the primary factor here.

InfiniteBoredom

And I defended colonialism when?

That shit happened, what is done is done, you can’t change the fact that the island have developed a distinct regional, if not national identity to the one of the PRC. If they don’t want to follow a system of government that was essentially forced upon them then that should be respected.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They are used in the same way. Unless I'm missing something 11 people were arrested yesterday, right ? There were 288 arrests on May Day in Paris this year.
Seriously? You do know the damage caused in Paris compared to what happened in Hong Kong yesterday?

The policeman being in fire compared to the only injuries to police in HK being them falling over themselves?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Colonialism is bad. That, nor ancient claims, should have no claim on the current issue in Hong Kong or Taiwan. The desires of their inhabitants should be the primary factor here.
Thanks. The PRC and their obsession of ancient claims only extends to regions they can bully. They have ceded more land to Russia than 100 Hong Kongs but that’s not an issue at all. :rolleyes:
And I defended colonialism when?

That shit happened, what is done is done, you can’t change the fact that the island have developed a distinct regional, if not national identity to the one of the PRC. If they don’t want to follow a system of government that was essentially forced upon them then that should be respected.
I blame successive British governments. They didn’t even have the decency to give HKers passports the way Portugal gave to Macanese.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Thanks. The PRC and their obsession of ancient claims only extends to regions they can bully. They have ceded more land to Russia than 100 Hong Kongs but that’s not an issue at all. :rolleyes:

I blame successive British governments. They didn’t even have the decency to give HKers passports the way Portugal gave to Macanese.
Yeah.

Sad times.

We should kept Hong Kong Island (as it was ceded in perpetuity) and the similar areas.

Keep that little part - and get a lot more negotiating power.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah.

Sad times.

We should kept Hong Kong Island (as it was ceded in perpetuity) and the similar areas.

Keep that little part - and get a lot more negotiating power.
The negotiator at the time thought 99 year lease basically meant forever. If only he stuck an extra 9 on. :(

Sweet Square

Seriously? You do know the damage caused in Paris compared to what happened in Hong Kong yesterday?

The policeman being in fire compared to the only injuries to police in HK being them falling over themselves?
Hold on your take from watching the riot police kick the shit out of your fellow citizens is to feel sorry for the french police.

0le

Its very interesting reading opinions from people who presuambly live in China. When I speak to Chinese nationals face to face, they are very muted when discussing any sort of politics and censorship. The only time I noticed that this changed was during the visit by the Chinese president to the UK a few years ago - they all seemed to know about it. In contrast, I don't think you would find many individuals on the streets of the UK who knew much about where May travelled in the past year.