China-The next cold war?

bleedred

So lately, China seems to have pissed of a lot of countries with Hongkong, Uighars, corona, south china sea and skirmishes with the Indian border.

This in a latest development, where US has asked china to close its Houston consulate,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53497193

Are we going to see another cold war. Can the US and other nations afford to or have the political will to stand against them?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"Next"?

It's already happening. Probably started a long time ago anyway. Behind the scenes, things are always happening.

I'd say they're already halfway there. Not that i was around then but i think the tensions now match some of the quieter periods of the Cold War.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We are definitely moving towards it and I don't think it will be dependent on individual presidents as above.

However, as far as I'm aware, the economies of Western countries/ China are far far more interlinked than the economies of the west and the Warsaw pact countries ever were.

May make things a bit more difficult to disentangle and help stop some of the more aggressive moves.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
yeah it's been going on for a while.
also the US needs a bogeyman, those missiles won't sell themselves.

mu4c_20le

Other than corona, they have already been doing all those things for years

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
So lately, China seems to have pissed of a lot of countries with Hongkong, Uighars, corona, south china sea and skirmishes with the Indian border.

This in a latest development, where US has asked china to close its Houston consulate,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53497193

Are we going to see another cold war. Can the US and other nations afford to or have the political will to stand against them?
The US don't give a feck about that.

It's frustration as they can't compete with China anymore.

It's not the eighties anymore. Both need each other, but the US needs China more than vice versa.

US is commiting a big mistake by trying to create annymosity instead of competing head to head. (Forcing allies to reject China's better tech (Huawei) instead of offering better tech themselves, for example).

The US can't go into a trade war with China and win, so probably, things will be back to normal post elections.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
No. The western world is not lead by countries and governments anymore. Are lead by companies, and China is where they have a big chunk of the factories and 1.5 billion consumers. And China knows it. They are untouchables and will continue to be

Any PR stunt that Trump does is because of his base and specially now with elections around. But nothing is meaningful and has nearly 0 impact

Last edited:

The Firestarter

The big difference is that back then, the two blocks were political as well as economic. With some limited trading of goods between them.
China is the western world's factory now and has been for quite some time. Unless that changes , we won't see anything resembling a cold war.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We lack the proxy wars from the last time around, but the number of missiles pointed at each helps make up for that. That number is going up significantly on the US side, which probably slipped under the radar when Donald was trying somersaults in a pig sty or something.

It is difficult to see that situation winding down until a sea change in North Korea; meanwhile the economic sparring will inevitably continue as has always been the case between rival powers in history.

OleBoiii

So Rocky clearly ended the last cold war with his amazing speech. Who will end this one?

entropy

No. The western world is not lead by countries and governments anymore. Are lead by companies, and China is where they have a big chunk of the factories and 1.5 billion consumers. And China knows it. They are untouchables and will continue to be

Any PR stunt that Trump does is because of his base and specially now with elections around. But nothing is meaningful and has nearly 0 impact
Reminds me of this scene from Network. Incredible how far we have come. Not really.

izec

It was always going to happen. China have grown so big, and they want to dominate the world. A clash was inevitable.

bleedred

Russia and their allies, most of Africa... i suspect most of South East Asia will be neutral ... and if trumps in power perhaps half of europe
Which half? I can't see western Europe turing their backs on US, irrespective of the president

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Which half? I can't see western Europe turing their backs on US, irrespective of the president
Could see France prioritising ongoing relations with China over trump
Can Imagine China investing a lot into Spain and Italy for example plus if they invested heavily with some of the Eastern European bloc again i could see split loyalties there.. especially if trump does bin nato

We are definitely moving towards it and I don't think it will be dependent on individual presidents as above.

However, as far as I'm aware, the economies of Western countries/ China are far far more interlinked than the economies of the west and the Warsaw pact countries ever were.

May make things a bit more difficult to disentangle and help stop some of the more aggressive moves.
The economies are today's nuclear missiles and mutually assured destruction. They are both trying to undermine each other but neither will do anything too damaging because they know the consequences.

Simbo

Pretty sure the last cold war never ended, just changed.

Cold war with China? Honestly not sure who's side I'd be on the way things stand. Could we many find a way to throw all the government leaders on a battle royal style island? The winner gets to fecking apologise on behalf of all of them.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Could be a hot war if Trump gets re-elected. Things in the South China Sea are getting pretty edgy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
yeah it's been going on for a while.
also the US needs a bogeyman, those missiles won't sell themselves.
This.

Every POTUS needs a go-to bogeyman to rally the troops/citizenry to deflect the problems that will be facing the nation especially in the next decade -- shackled by even more massive debts and crumbling infrastructure.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Reminds me of this scene from Network. Incredible how far we have come. Not really.
I have seen so many scenes of this movie. I will need to watch it one day.

In reality had been always like this. the anglo-chinese was fought by the british empire to protect the heroine business (among others reasons) from private companies, and the dutch colonialism was fought mainly by private companies

Red_toad

Could be a hot war if Trump gets re-elected. Things in the South China Sea are getting pretty edgy.
So Trump is to blame for the CCP’s actions?
The CCP are a threat to even their own people, I’d doubt any American president is going to allow them to carry on as they wish and not challenge them for their human rights issues, threats to their neighbours and theft of intellectual propert.The CCP wish to dominate their region, that cannot and should not be allowed to unchallenged.

Abizzz

The cold war cost millions of innocent deaths... how could Trump say no to that?

But no, it's not the cold war. The cold war was a battle of ideologies. Trump and Chinese oligarchs, US intelligence and the Chinese Communist party, are all cut from the same cloth. It's a competition of the like minded.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
China reportedly block Premier League in retaliation to the UK.

Smores

No it's just Trumps bogeyman and all those human rights abuses they've not cared about for a decade are just useful material to follow the China virus narrative. It's worrying how quickly they can feed the media to follow such narratives.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
No it's just Trumps bogeyman and all those human rights abuses they've not cared about for a decade are just useful material to follow the China virus narrative. It's worrying how quickly they can feed the media to follow such narratives.
it has almost nothing to do with Trump and secretly China is probably okay with him being the US president. He withdrew from the regional trade deal, that could have hurt them and is a global boogeyman everybody in western media talks about. Its way easier for them to convince smaller countries to engage with their initiatives without much attention, that could create political pressure.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
China reportedly block Premier League in retaliation to the UK.
yeah but mostly no
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/... only limited rights,and the UK is groundless.

Foreign media's claims that China's state sports broadcaster has cancelled the English Premier League are groundless, as broadcasts of the games have merely been moved to the channel's high definition digital channel CCTV Sports Plus, and have not been scrapped, an industry insider told the Global Times, noting the reason for the change remains unclear.

A Bloomberg report on Thursday claimed that the state broadcaster, China Central Television (CCTV), is "taking English Premier League football matches off the air," attributing the change to souring international relations between China and the UK.

The report was published after CCTV Sports changed its original plan to broadcast the game between Chelsea and Liverpool on Wednesday (3:45 am Thursday in China) to Plus, but the claim that the airing of the game was completely scrapped is undoubtedly false.

The game was also rebroadcast on later Thursday morning, a CCTV Sports program list showed on Thursday. An originally scheduled game between Leicester City and Manchester United set to air on CCTV Sports on Sunday has also been moved to CCTV Sports Plus, cctv.com shows.

CCTV has only limited rights to broadcast Premier League games, so only four games are usually broadcast for every round on CCTV Sports along with its high definition digital channel.

An insider told the Global Times that blaming the channel change on souring relations between China and the UK is groundless.

"CCTV Sports could have made such a change for viewership reasons or broadcast reasons," said the insider, who prefers to to anonymous, on Thursday.

The Premier League, which is regarded as the world's most lucrative football league, is mainly broadcast as pay-per-view events on live streaming platform PPTV.

This is not the first time that the Premier League has not been broadcast on CCTV Sports. A previous hiatus lasted from 2003 to 2015 due to issues concerning broadcasting rights.

CCTV Sports canceled part of the live stream of Spain's La Liga games at the end of the 2014-15 season, a move which analysts at the time believed was due to the state broadcaster's failing to reach an agreement with La Liga over the broadcast rights for future seasons.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So Trump is to blame for the CCP’s actions?
The CCP are a threat to even their own people, I’d doubt any American president is going to allow them to carry on as they wish and not challenge them for their human rights issues, threats to their neighbours and theft of intellectual propert.The CCP wish to dominate their region, that cannot and should not be allowed to unchallenged.
It's a tricky one. First we should probably ask a few questions about things you seem to be considering as already determined. You say China 'cannot and should not' be allowed to dominate their region. Why exactly? Is that not EXACTLY what the US does and have deliberately set out to do going right back to the Monroe Doctrine and Manifest Destiny?

Just to be clear I'm not saying they should do that, I'm not saying its right or desirable for them (or anyone else) to do that, but it seems like more than a little bit of a gross hypocrisy for the US to imagine they can enforce standards on a country close to becoming a superpower that they have absolutely no interest in following themselves.

The US acting like the world police might have been something they could get away with after the Cold War, but now their lead is narrowing by the year and its not sustainable to keep acting that way.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
The US don't give a feck about that.

It's frustration as they can't compete with China anymore.

It's not the eighties anymore. Both need each other, but the US needs China more than vice versa.

US is commiting a big mistake by trying to create annymosity instead of competing head to head. (Forcing allies to reject China's better tech (Huawei) instead of offering better tech themselves, for example).

The US can't go into a trade war with China and win, so probably, things will be back to normal post elections.
I don't understand why people haven't realized this fact as yet. America has lost, they know they have and Trump is just accelerating the losing streak. Technologically and globally, China has its hands in everything and with Trump decimating the state departments since 2017, it was just easier for them to move their chess pieces. The only thing the US has globally is its military power and their global bullying of Huawei.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was always going to happen. China have grown so big, and they want to dominate the world. A clash was inevitable.
They already are dominating the world economically. Who is funding our nuclear power stations for example.
But I don't believe that they really want to dominant the world in the traditional sense.
The USA wants and does that already.

Red_toad

It's a tricky one. First we should probably ask a few questions about things you seem to be considering as already determined. You say China 'cannot and should not' be allowed to dominate their region. Why exactly? Is that not EXACTLY what the US does and have deliberately set out to do going right back to the Monroe Doctrine and Manifest Destiny?

Just to be clear I'm not saying they should do that, I'm not saying its right or desirable for them (or anyone else) to do that, but it seems like more than a little bit of a gross hypocrisy for the US to imagine they can enforce standards on a country close to becoming a superpower that they have absolutely no interest in following themselves.

The US acting like the world police might have been something they could get away with after the Cold War, but now their lead is narrowing by the year and its not sustainable to keep acting that way.
America are not threatening to annex their neighbours, like China are doing so with Taiwan. Then there’s the whole difference with human rights issues. Comparing the two is just silly. USA certainly dominates its continent, but China doing the same is going to be a whole new ball game.