Chinese League

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Jackson Martinez has apparently moved to one of their sides for 42m Euros. The feck? Does anyone think that it will become the norm now or will it never be anything more than another MLS?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just another MLS. No way will their clubs gain more prestige than Europe's top competitions. On the other hand, their money can weaken Europe's competitions though. Getting paid potentially more for less work (not the same intensity as the CL/domestic European league) is an attractive offer.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Guangzhou Evergrande are owned by a real estate company of the same name, they used to be just 'Guangzhou Sports Club'.

Anyway, they're the richest and biggest club in all of China. Although this kind of thing will become more common, it's no different really to the MLS, the ISL, or some of the big-money clubs in Russia (like Anzhi Makchakla signing Roberto Carlos).

Kostur

海尔的老板
Aren't like 3-4 Chinese clubs top 5 spenders this window? They've got plenty of money at their disposal, players want to play there because they pay shitloads of money obviously but it looks like another MLS, can't see it becoming anywhat competitive.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Aren't like 3-4 Chinese clubs top 5 spenders this window? They've got plenty of money at their disposal, players want to play there because they pay shitloads of money obviously but it looks like another MLS, can't see it becoming anywhat competitive.
Shelvy at £12m was the biggest EPL transfer. It's really not saying much.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Latest rumour is that Alex Texeira is heading there too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
They've been spending a shit ton of money recently. Completely raided the Brazilian league. There was a good New York Times article about it the other day- I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: here it is http://nyti.ms/1NMv77o

prarek

20 years from now the Indian and Chinese leagues will be outspending Premier League? Do you think its possible?

R'hllor

They spend some money before too but this window it was like concentrated in same time,names flying around for good/very good amounts of money.Still remember quite years ago Chinese clubs started taking Serbian coaches/managers it was like in steps,then they attracted names like Lippi,next on the list were players,think there was some Brazilian player getting highest paid per week at the time or something.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They spend some money before too but this window it was like concentrated in same time,names flying around for good/very good amounts of money.Still remember quite years ago Chinese clubs started taking Serbian coaches/managers it was like in steps,then they attracted names like Lippi,next on the list were players,think there was some Brazilian player getting highest paid per week at the time or something.
Dario Conca? Was behind just Ronaldo and Messi in terms of highest paid.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
20 years from now the Indian and Chinese leagues will be outspending Premier League? Do you think its possible?
20? I can see it happening in 10 (at least for the Chinese. I'm not familiar with the Indian league).

prarek

20? I can see it happening in 10 (at least for the Chinese. I'm not familiar with the Indian league).
I was thinking more in terms of their gigantic population and the fact that they are supposed to be emerging economic super powers but you're right China seems to be well ahead of India. Which also leads me to wonder if the focus of club football will move to Asia in future. Half a century ago the Brazilian league was as good as the best european leagues but they've been left behind due to the talent drain to Europe.

MandalaySean

There's always been loads of Brazilians in the Chinese league. I used to go and watch the local team before they ended up getting dissolved after a match fixing scandal. I watched a few matches last season from the top division and the quality is poor. I don't think it will ever hold the attraction that they want it to, also if I was a millionaire I wouldn't choose to live in China. I'd also be extremely surprised if there isn't still corruption in football here.

Swaters16

It's a pretty decent league, especially with all the cash being spent. They usually target good players as well. MLS goes for players on the wane but the super league tries to sign players on the up or at their peak.
It's easily the best league in Asia, but because of the strict Asian Champions League rules it'll never take off without a serious improvement in domestic talent. You can only register 3 foreign players in the CL, so there are limited places for foreign talent. That said Jackson and Ricardo Goulart at the one club. God help any team that comes up against that. They're the two best players in Asia (or Martinez should be).

Swaters16

Won't happen for the Indian league anytime soon. They now have two top divisions competing for a market. The Super League has more cash than the National League but the only players brought in are low quality journeyman. The domestic talent is abysmal to. It'll take decades to bring the quality of players up to a high enough standard. There isn't really enough interest in the sport either, the crowd figures are decent but unspectacular for the most part. Atletico Kolkata can pull upwards of 40,000 and the rest are quite small.

prarek

It's a pretty decent league, especially with all the cash being spent. They usually target good players as well. MLS goes for players on the wane but the super league tries to sign players on the up or at their peak.
It's easily the best league in Asia, but because of the strict Asian Champions League rules it'll never take off without a serious improvement in domestic talent. You can only register 3 foreign players in the CL, so there are limited places for foreign talent. That said Jackson and Ricardo Goulart at the one club. God help any team that comes up against that. They're the two best players in Asia (or Martinez should be).
Isn't Robinho also in China? Also i think Japanese League is probably the best in Asia right now as they produce better domestic players especially if there are limited foreigner quotas. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me on this.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Isn't Robinho also in China? Also i think Japanese League is probably the best in Asia right now as they produce better domestic players especially if there are limited foreigner quotas. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me on this.
He was last there, at Guangzhou, but is a free agent currently.

Swaters16

Japan has better domestic talent for sure but when it comes to the top level in the Champions league the foreign players make the difference. Overall league quality in Japan is probably better but Guangzou are the best club and a few other Chinese clubs are reasonably close.

Nanook

I was thinking more in terms of their gigantic population and the fact that they are supposed to be emerging economic super powers but you're right China seems to be well ahead of India. Which also leads me to wonder if the focus of club football will move to Asia in future. Half a century ago the Brazilian league was as good as the best european leagues but they've been left behind due to the talent drain to Europe.
I doubt it, the Manchester United's, Barca's and Real Madrid's are just too big for other to catch up.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think it will become a major player in football pretty soon, nothing like MLS, you see they already have financial muscle. I could be the main league followed around Asia. It has the potential to have a few clubs almost comparable to the European counterparts.

It will be hard for them to prevent the match fixing and corruption, thus I expect them to still be considered kind of a joke over there.

tarjei2k

Depends. In the US the clubs have serious wage restrictions put upon them by the league. IIRC each club is only allowed to ignore a severe and universal wage limit for a total of three players - meaning that no club can fill their roster with overpaid foreign stars. I don't know if the same rules apply in China, but somehow I doubt it.

And if they begin filling their teams to the brim with what is traditionally regarded as mid-table to upper mid-table tier players (by paying them world class fees and wages), I don't see why they cannot become competitive with top-five league teams. They won't be MUFC or Real Madrid even so, mind, but even puny Southampton can win at Old Trafford on their day. Long term this will make their league more attractive and competitive, and probably contribute to improve the quality of their own nationals - why wouldn't a new world giant in the vein of Bayern Munich emerge from such a bag of ingredients?

Of course, there's a lot of ifs and buts before the latter prognostic coming to pass. But in the relatively short term, a few Chinese teams of English mid-table quality doesn't appear so chimerically far-fetched.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
If they ease up on the foreigner limit, they could quickly become something bigger.
Depends. In the US the clubs have serious wage restrictions put upon them by the league. IIRC each club is only allowed to ignore a severe and universal wage limit for a total of three players - meaning that no club can fill their roster with overpaid foreign stars. I don't know if the same rules apply in China, but somehow I doubt it.

And if they begin filling their teams to the brim with what is traditionally regarded as mid-table to upper mid-table tier players (by paying them world class fees and wages), I don't see why they cannot become competitive with top-five league teams. They won't be MUFC or Real Madrid even so, mind, but even puny Southampton can win at Old Trafford on their day. Long term this will make their league more attractive and competitive, and probably contribute to improve the quality of their own nationals - why wouldn't a new world giant in the vein of Bayern Munich emerge from such a bag of ingredients?

Of course, there's a lot of ifs and buts before the latter prognostic coming to pass. But in the relatively short term, a few Chinese teams of English mid-table quality doesn't appear so chimerically far-fetched.
It's like 5.5k a week in pounds, crazy. As well as there being an overall squad salary cap. One of the three designated players has to be under 23 as well, unless they pay a fee to the league which then gets split amongst all the teams that don't also do the same. They're also only allowed 10 non American players, but they can loan and trade these international slots off other teams to have more.

Americans have to be awkward as feck.

Eila

Chinese league is not attractive. Asian Champions League is not attractive. The only thing they can do is offer players silly salaries.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Mendes is the happiest among the present. Jackson seems excited too.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Its NOT another MLS, dude! The exodus caused by chinese league was THE THEME of this off-season in Brazil. I know you all don't care about here but..

They bought half of Corinthians, Brazilian champion. The exodus that they are causing here, it hasn't happened in a while..

And they are paying the release clauses, its not a case of contract ending, etc. Someone has to make a law forbidding them from doing this :( Seriously, it will only get worse. They have silly money.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jackson Martinez looked so terrible to Atletico. Pretty disappointed.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Pep to China in 3 years. Maybe 4 - take a year off to learn Mandarin.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently there are rumours clubs want to take Yaya Toure too.

dasty

The club is owned by Evergrande and Taobao/Alibaba. If they want to spend they can outspend even the European elites.