Chinese League

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Strong rumours that Alex Teixeira is on the verge of joining Jiangsu Suning for 50 million euros (the club Ramires joined a couple of weeks ago).

NinjaFletch

Hard to know what will happen here.

On the one hand they've got shit loads of money, on the other Chinese football can't prop itself up in the longtime simply on the basis of foreign imports. Still, China's certainly got the potential to be a powerhouse.

westlife4ever

It's getting silly here in China. Clubs pay crazy money for both foreign players and average domestic players.

I just wish half the money would be thrown into youth training.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Renato Augusto also moved to a Chinese club last month. Schalke tried to sign him but he openly said that he went to China because of the money. It's a bit sad, because he looked like a great talent at Leverkusen around 2010 before injuries hurt his career. But he was back on track again, was called up for the nationalteam again last year and had a second shot to make it in Europe.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think it will become a major player in football pretty soon, nothing like MLS, you see they already have financial muscle.
So did the Qatari and middle eastern clubs. I read in Pirlo's book, that they offered him multiple Ferrari's, an english school built for this kids and a weekly private luxury jet to get to Italy for weekends. But still he refused. Top tier will not go for money...at least not for long (Drogba/Anelka). The next to top South American players who do not make the cut for European Clubs probably make their way there.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So did the Qatari and middle eastern clubs. I read in Pirlo's book, that they offered him multiple Ferrari's, an english school built for this kids and a weekly private luxury jet to get to Italy for weekends. But still he refused. Top tier will not go for money...at least not for long (Drogba/Anelka). The next to top South American players who do not make the cut for European Clubs probably make their way there.
This is the first time a non European club paid £30m plus for a transfer and they pay top wages, and it's only the beginning. They may not get the very first choice but by paying over the top they can easily land some very fine players, and if some reputable players provide positive feedback their prestige will grow. An economic and sporting superpower like China investing massively on football has to be taken very seriously.

An issue for them may be the quota and low quality of local players but that should improve once they start investing on academies (only visible on long term though).

Scorpy

Dortmund rejected an offer of 12 million euros for Adrian Ramos from Beijing Gouan last month, according to Bild.

Last edited:

prarek

Hide your wife and kids. The Chinese are coming after everyone.

RedStarUnited

He'll probably be one of the first players Pep boots out at City. Did the same at Barcelona and Toure is known to not be a fan of him.
He didnt sell him cos he was a shit player, Pep just rated Boudquets extremely high and City offered good money for a player who was about to be a squad player.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread. What are the key takeaways?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
With the 3 foreigners rule the league cannot really grow properly in the next few years as Chinese players learning the trade will be a long lasting process but spending heavy money is certainly a way to generate interest.

I think Chinese government actually wants them to invest in sports and tourism now so money will definitely be there, just a question how it's used. Martinez is the only truly high profile signing IMO as players like Guarin or Ramires would only be playing for mid-table top league sides in Europe at best if they were to look for a permanent first team role. Martinez could probably still do a decent job for a top side, I'd imagine he will score a lot over there.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's what, 20 players with somewhat recognizable names out of like 400? Most of them average, some of them good but all of them on very high wages. It won't become the norm as the bar has been set too high for average players. Most of the players don't last long there. All the Icelandic players that have gone their lasted less than a year. Drogba flew over there to pick up a paycheck. It won't be anymore than a short stop for money until the actual foundations will be decent, you know Chinese players actually being good.

Classical Mechanic

It is still only a poor mans NASL. They had real superstars (past their best) like Pele, Best and Moore. It still flopped and was never taken seriously.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'd love to see the country become a real footballing force. But it will take years. The current level of investment means they can attract a higher calibre of player right now, but they'll need to keep this going for a good while yet. A loss of momentum could derail the whole thing, so they cannot really afford a major financial collapse.

But I hope it doesn't continue at the expense of South American football. In an ideal world we'd have a truly global game.

prarek

With the 3 foreigners rule the league cannot really grow properly in the next few years as Chinese players learning the trade will be a long lasting process but spending heavy money is certainly a way to generate interest.

I think Chinese government actually wants them to invest in sports and tourism now so money will definitely be there, just a question how it's used. Martinez is the only truly high profile signing IMO as players like Guarin or Ramires would only be playing for mid-table top league sides in Europe at best if they were to look for a permanent first team role. Martinez could probably still do a decent job for a top side, I'd imagine he will score a lot over there.
It is a 5 foreigner rule according to this post.

There have been quite a few noticable names to move to China this January.

Some players currently playing there that might ring a bell, include Fredy Guarin (Shanghai Shenhua), Ramires (Jiangsu Sainty), Stephane Mbia (Hebei Fortune), Gervinho (Hebei Fortune), Asamoah Gyan (Shanghai SIPG), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guo'an), Demba Ba (Shanghai Shenhua), and Tim Cahill (Shanghai Shenhua), in addition to Jackson Martinez. Robinho played there last season, but he was released to make way to Martinez.

5 foreign players per team, one of those five slots is limited to players from Asian, or AFC countries, which includes Australia.

NinjaFletch

It's what, 20 players with somewhat recognizable names out of like 400? Most of them average, some of them good but all of them on very high wages. It won't become the norm as the bar has been set too high for average players. Most of the players don't last long there. All the Icelandic players that have gone their lasted less than a year. Drogba flew over there to pick up a paycheck. It won't be anymore than a short stop for money until the actual foundations will be decent, you know Chinese players actually being good.
Well duh.

Thats the goal though, with a bid for a 2026 World Cup in the pipelines, a Billion dollar TV deal, and signing players like this the aim is to increase interest in the game and start to produce those players.

prarek

It is still only a poor mans NASL. They had real superstars (past their best) like Pele, Best and Moore. It still flopped and was never taken seriously.
Don't you think its a little different though? MLS had to compete with MLB, NBA, NFL, Nascar even NHL they are all huge. Whats the biggest pro sports competition in China?

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
20 years from now the Indian and Chinese leagues will be outspending Premier League? Do you think its possible?
Possible for Chinese, Indian league is way behind to be considered right now.

NinjaFletch

Don't you think its a little different though? MLS had to compete with MLB, NBA, NFL, Nascar even NHL they are all huge. Whats the biggest pro sports competition in China?
And also wasn't having the money it was spending coming from the government.

China will become a footballing powerhouse for as long as their government are interested in making it happen.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Strong rumours that Alex Teixeira is on the verge of joining Jiangsu Suning for 50 million euros (the club Ramires joined a couple of weeks ago).
Seems pretty much confirmed now. Don't blame Liverpool for pulling out of that one. Sometimes you just have to be sensible and that was/is stupid money.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Well duh.

Thats the goal though, with a bid for a 2026 World Cup in the pipelines, a Billion dollar TV deal, and signing players like this the aim is to increase interest in the game and start to produce those players.
Interest in the game hasn't been lacking.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Seems pretty much confirmed now. Don't blame Liverpool for pulling out of that one. Sometimes you just have to be sensible and that was/is stupid money.
I still wanted us to sign him and was willing to see us part with £30 million in the summer but you're right, £37 million for an uncapped 26 year old is ridiculous.

I wonder how far this will go in the long run. Players nowadays are so swayed by wages and it seems like these Chinese sides have a lot of money to throw at their wage bill, but it seems more like a place for older players to go for one last pay day before retirement like the MLS. I don't think a Chinese league title is going to be on the bucket list ofmany players playing in Europe.

Classical Mechanic

I am sceptical that the league will become a major player. They would need to compete in the CL to do that.

I still wanted us to sign him and was willing to see us part with £30 million in the summer but you're right, £37 million for an uncapped 26 year old is ridiculous.

I wonder how far this will go in the long run. Players nowadays are so swayed by wages and it seems like these Chinese sides have a lot of money to throw at their wage bill, but it seems more like a place for older players to go for one last pay day before retirement like the MLS. I don't think a Chinese league title is going to be on the bucket list ofmany players playing in Europe.
He signed for Shaktar in the first place. Sure they get CL football over there but it makes it much harder for the players to get capped by Brazil and the Ukrainian league has no prestige as a competition. We probably shouldn't be surprised that he followed the money.

Scorpy

Commenting specifically on Liverpool’s interest, Teixeira said: “It is my desire to move to a big league and I know that the English league is very strong.

“My aim is to move to a big club so that I can well there and get a place in the Brazil squad.

“Everyone knows that it is hard to achieve and I need to leave here to achieve that goal”

:lol:

prarek

I am sceptical that the league will become a major player. They would need to compete in the CL to do that.
Good point about the CL.

Commenting specifically on Liverpool’s interest, Teixeira said: “It is my desire to move to a big league and I know that the English league is very strong.

“My aim is to move to a big club so that I can well there and get a place in the Brazil squad.

“Everyone knows that it is hard to achieve and I need to leave here to achieve that goal”

:lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

This league could offer a genuine chance for us to get all the Fellaini transfer fee back, and there were rumours while back that Rooney was offered a fortune to go there, scoffed at the time, a bit more believable now.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Last time I was there basket ball was the major sport. All of their schools have basket ball courts but not all of them have football pitches. I think football was the second biggest but European football was more popular than anything going on in the Chinese league. Maybe the money has attracted more fans since then.

prarek

Last time I was there basket ball was the major sport. All of their schools have basket ball courts but not all of them have football pitches. I think football was the second biggest but European football was more popular than anything going on in the Chinese league. Maybe the money has attracted more fans since then.
Ah it makes sense. Because of Yao Ming i think.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Duffy was right from the beginning.

Hojoon

Apparently the Chinese transfer window doesn't close until February 26th. We could see a few more eye-catching deals happening.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
fecking hell. I wanted to see him play in a top league.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Probably more interesting than the french and german 1 team leagues.