Chinese League

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Last time I was there basket ball was the major sport. All of their schools have basket ball courts but not all of them have football pitches. I think football was the second biggest but European football was more popular than anything going on in the Chinese league. Maybe the money has attracted more fans since then.
That's changing, they're funding football pitches for all schools, making it part of the curriculum.

They're taking this shit seriously apparently, not only buying big name players, but making it school training, funding teams youth development, and taking a lot of coaches from Europa and Brazil to train at all levels.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That's changing, they're funding football pitches for all schools, making it part of the curriculum.

They're taking this shit seriously apparently, not only buying big name players, but making it school training, funding teams youth development, and taking a lot of coaches from Europa and Brazil to train at all levels.
Interesting. I haven't been there since 2010 so it's no surprise it's changed since then.

It seems like they genuinely think they can compete with Europe. We'll see how it develops and to what extent they can attract big names. The players they've attracted so far are more astounding because of the fees than the players themselves. I'm not sure we'll see a Di Maria or a Bale heading East any time soon. I wonder if we can benefit from this and see United and Liverpool part company with their expensive and unwanted Belgians, whilst taking only a minor loss in transfer fees.

RustyS

Rene was on 5live and talked about a lot of investment in the infrastructure and a big push to establish football in China. Their aim is to host the world cup and to win it eventually.

One can only be happy with this. What is it, 1.6 billion people? Potentially a lot of good players can come out of there but it will take a long time and a big, sustained effort. Spending a lot of money for 5-10 years alone won't do it.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
i thought it was his ultimate dream to play for Liverpool? the only club he would only join? :lol:
Didn't they end their interest and fly that prick Ayre home from Florida where Shaktar were having a warm weather training camp?

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Rene was on 5live and talked about a lot of investment in the infrastructure and a big push to establish football in China. Their aim is to host the world cup and to win it eventually.

One can only be happy with this. What is it, 1.6 billion people? Potentially a lot of good players can come out of there but it will take a long time and a big, sustained effort. Spending a lot of money for 5-10 years alone won't do it.
Just above 1 Billion, not rising. Problem is the country is VAST and a lot of it still undeveloped, people tend to forget that. I would reckon even with all the money involved, not even 30 years will be enough to push them near a WC title. It's not like they haven't been trying for 20 already to improve while only qualifying once.

prarek

I did hear about China's partnership with La Liga. La Liga are responsible for training 8,000 coaches in 6 Chinese cities. They also have individual partnerships with the clubs. Both Atletico and Real Madrid are opening academies in China and there are already a lot of young players being sent to various academies in Spain. Learning from the best.

http://www.laliga.es/en/news/laliga-is-committed-to-football-development-in-china

They also opened the world's biggest football academy in 2014 with 2,400 students, over 50 pitches and spanish coaches.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/china-opens-world-biggest-soccer-academy-gallery-1.1834844

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Interesting. I haven't been there since 2010 so it's no surprise it's changed since then.

It seems like they genuinely think they can compete with Europe. We'll see how it develops and to what extent they can attract big names. The players they've attracted so far are more astounding because of the fees than the players themselves. I'm not sure we'll see a Di Maria or a Bale heading East any time soon. I wonder if we can benefit from this and see United and Liverpool part company with their expensive and unwanted Belgians, whilst taking only a minor loss in transfer fees.
It's not just the fees though, but the fact that they've picked apart the Brazilian champions, and while the players they're getting aren't absolute top players, they're starting to take good players, ala Ramirez(he could easily start for most Prem clubs, to be fair), or players from big clubs, like Jackson Martinez. It's not purely like the MLS taking old players that are past it.

Teixeira is a bid deal, this is a player near his prime, a quality one, who was lined up for a big time summer move to Liverpool. Now he's off to China. If you done this on Football Manager, everyone would be all, "ffs, like that could happen in real life..."

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It's not just the fees though, but the fact that they've picked apart the Brazilian champions, and while the players they're getting aren't absolute top players, they're starting to take good players, ala Ramirez(he could easily start for most Prem clubs, to be fair), or players from big clubs, like Jackson Martinez. It's not purely like the MLS taking old players that are past it.

Teixeira is a bid deal, this is a player near his prime, a quality one, who was lined up for a big time summer move to Liverpool. Now he's off to China. If you done this on Football Manager, everyone would be all, "ffs, like that could happen in real life..."
I still don't see it just yet. They've got a lot of catching up to do. Ramires is going to be 29 in March so he's not got many years left in his prime and Teixeira is still uncapped at 26 and spent most of his career in Ukraine. He was clearly desperate to get out of that country and the wages they're offering don't make it surprising to me that he's happy to go there. If you believe the rumours his wages per year will make him the 10th highest player in world football. It's a huge leap for him.

I think that the biggest players are still going to want to be where the spotlight is and that isn't going to be China for the foreseeable future. We'll see what happens though. Maybe I'm wrong and Ronaldo and Messi will be flying off to play in Shanghai and Beijing, whilst we're left with the 'energetic' and 'tough' British players in the Premier League.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I thought Chelsea fans rated Oscar? The club must idolise him to reject that sort of money.

Winrar

any way for us to convince them to take fellaini off of us for a good sum?

Last edited:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I still don't see it just yet. They've got a lot of catching up to do. Ramires is going to be 29 in March so he's not got many years left in his prime and Teixeira is still uncapped at 26 and spent most of his career in Ukraine. He was clearly desperate to get out of that country and the wages they're offering don't make it surprising to me that he's happy to go there. If you believe the rumours his wages per year will make him the 10th highest player in world football. It's a huge leap for him.

I think that the biggest players are still going to want to be where the spotlight is and that isn't going to be China for the foreseeable future. We'll see what happens though. Maybe I'm wrong and Ronaldo and Messi will be flying off to play in Shanghai and Beijing, whilst we're left with the 'energetic' and 'tough' British players in the Premier League.
Don't get me wrong, they're fecking worlds away from where they're aiming, but they're making surprising moves, in more ways than one. Also, they're moving a fecktonne faster than the MLS, or the Indian league, and other such leagues.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Did all the clubs get new owners to be making such a big push right now or is it a centralised league where the league buy the players for the clubs.

ghagua

Time to get our money back on Fellaini and Mata. 50 million each minimum.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Did all the clubs get new owners to be making such a big push right now or is it a centralised league where the league buy the players for the clubs.
Far as I can tell neither, more that the president has expressed his desire for a much better football league, and they're all falling over themselves to curry favour with him.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Far as I can tell neither, more that the president has expressed his desire for a much better football league, and they're all falling over themselves to curry favour with him.
Just decided to Wiki them and quite a few have billion dollar companies/owners backing them, there is also a few state owned clubs by different state bodies.

Precaution

it's kinda weird this is happening now as the Chinese economy slows down and the Yen depreciating against the dollar, surely pumping money OUT of the country does more to damage than help? Especially if the State is encouraging it...

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Just decided to Wiki them and quite a few have billion dollar companies/owners backing them, there is also a few state owned clubs by different state bodies.
Oh yeah, most of them are backed by billionaires from other businesses that can eat the losses comfortably, Guangzhou are backed by Evergande and Alibaba, big money. They could have been doing this stuff for a long time, it's the recent state/presidents push that's making it happen now. Kind of like what they're doing in athletics for the Olympics and such.

Eila

It's also weird to me that they started doing this shit in the winter transfer. Do they have a weird date start of the league like MLS or what?

Winrar

It's also weird to me that they started doing this shit in the winter transfer. Do they have a weird date start of the league like MLS or what?
from a quick glance they start their season in march and ends somewhere at oct-nov.

MandalaySean

It starts in March, it's too cold in the north of China for football to be played during winter.

Empire

What is Rooney's Chinese appeal?

They might pay big money in the summer, even if he hits form between now and the end of the season, he'll be 31 next year, we should cash in. Martial, Memphis and Adnan all have high potential, if they start performing then they need to be in the team, we should also look to sign another attacking player with potential like that, either RW or CAM or both.

Our attack could be incredible if these players develop chemistry from a young age.

NoLogo

Somebody wants to make football a thing in China it seems.

I always wondered how well mega-nations like China or India would do in football if it was as popular there as it is in Europe or South America and had a similar infrastructure to support it.

Maybe we gonna find out in 10 years?

Stretford End Phil

Hopefully the Glazers will eventually see the rise of competition from the east and bugger off! Hope springs eternal. Long term I expect them to sell the club to a far eastern concern. I do hope all the foreign journeymen players go to China and we get back to producing home grown talent. We might then restore some character to EPL games rather than watching a load of divas prancing around.

stevoc

Interesting that it only seems to be south american players making the move to china.

It would only really become a concern for european football when european players start swapping top clubs in europe for ones in china i suppose.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
My dad went to China quite recently and amongst other things, something that he mentioned as being quite surprising was that apparently wherever he went, there were always groups of kids on the streets playing keepy-ups and other such games. Sometimes they werent even using balls but rather these large shuttlecock type things - he brought some of those back with him and we attempted it, harder than it looks!

Anyway my point here is that it would appear that the kids over there are pretty interested in football, and the whole "street football" scene is thriving much like what you might see in South America. Be interesting to see what comes of it.

Lowkey

We should be using this to clear out the deadwood and actually get a decent return on a player for once!

stevoc

We should be using this to clear out the deadwood and actually get a decent return on a player for once!
Didn't Van Gaal already clear out all the ''Deadwood'' in the last two summers. Or so people were trumpeting anyway.