Chinese League

I really don't understand the logic of going there. Is it just me being naive in thinking that all top players dream of playing at the highest level?

How do you become a top player if money is the only thing motivating you?

Keenst

It's a pretty sweet lifestyle here ... if you can put up with the horrendous traffic and occasional smoggy day (Shanghai is nothing like Beijing/Tianjin but their smog does blow down here). Most expats love it here.
Shanghai is an exciting place to live for sure. I love it here, perfect for a guy in his mid twenties.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Anybody actually seen any of these teams in action???

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Chinese league is actually great to watch, loved watching it last season. Other than Gao Lin the majority of the chinese players are poor, especially the defences. With good foreigners up front it makes the games really good to watch.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This can only be bad news for us. We will now be competing directly with these teams for the sort of players we are likely to be targeting (the likes of Texeira) which will push the wages and fees of fairly ordinary players to even more ridiculous levels.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
This can only be bad news for us. We will now be competing directly with these teams for the sort of players we are likely to be targeting (the likes of Texeira) which will push the wages and fees of fairly ordinary players to even more ridiculous levels.
Nah, Texeira would have moved to Europe if Shaktar had accepted a bid from someone. China is almost like a get out of jail card for when the transfer window ends/ you want a payday. Same for Jackson Martinez.

kps88

I don't think this will really effect top tier clubs like us who have money to spend. It will definitely hit other clubs in the tiers below us though. Players are more likely to turn down a West Ham or a Stoke in exchange for a massive Chinese payday compared to a really top club.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don't think this will really effect top tier clubs like us who have money to spend. It will definitely hit other clubs in the tiers below us though. Players are more likely to turn down a West Ham or a Stoke in exchange for a massive Chinese payday compared to a really top club.
Yeah, may be right, but with that on top of every PL club getting the TV money bonanza, the upward pressure on wages and fees is going to be massive IMO.

kps88

Yeah, may be right, but with that on top of every PL club getting the TV money bonanza, the upward pressure on wages and fees is going to be massive IMO.
Yeah that will happen if they continue being a big player in the market. Lucky for us we're loaded.

Lynty

Would a respectable team really want to sign a player who is even entertaining the thought of moving to China? Not exactly the sort of ambition/mercenary you want around the team.

I'm willing to bet Yaya is playing in China before 2017.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
It's a pretty sweet lifestyle here ... if you can put up with the horrendous traffic and occasional smoggy day (Shanghai is nothing like Beijing/Tianjin but their smog does blow down here). Most expats love it here.
I'd believe it's going to be a pretty amazing lifestyle for anyone hauling in 200-500 grand a week.

It's like saying "who'd want to move to Manchester instead of London", it's not like they're on a few bucks a week living in some hole of an apartment in a crap part of town.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Nah, Texeira would have moved to Europe if Shaktar had accepted a bid from someone. China is almost like a get out of jail card for when the transfer window ends/ you want a payday. Same for Jackson Martinez.
I really think he just used this move to get out of Donezk and that we will see him in Europe in the summer.

MandalaySean

Ha ha ! Completely missing the point. How do you think they became millionaires and do you think the vast majority will give that up that earning power ? Those that move overseas are usually those that are either under suspicion for graft (or want to get out before they come under suspicion) or made a fortune in the real estate market (which has slowed down tremendously) and some to follow their children to overseas universities.

Match fixing is endemic. They try to fix it (enjoy the pun) but that just sends it further underground.
My point was about footballers not wanting to move to China. I know how China works, I've lived here for a long time.

stevoc

This, this, this!! :smirk: I think what they're saying is that he DID clear out the deadwood but replaced it with......er, more deadwood!
Yeah must be the case. In hindsight though some would never admit it a few of the players that were continually labelled dead wood were actually good players who would have been useful to us right now.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Lavezzi isn't in the PSG group for the match at Marseille because he's thinking about accepting an offer from China (€15m transfer and €8m/y salary).

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Cash in, as much as it would pain me. Roberto & Vidal to cover but they will need a better RB than either going forward as Alves will be extremely difficult to replace

prarek

They also offered 23 million to Gabi (who is now 32) for 3 seasons. He refused it now but i can see him going to China next year.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
At least they're going for decent players. Paying idiotic sums for them, but still. Already better than the MLS.

That offer would make me very uncomfortable, if I was the decision maker at West Ham.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
On one hand you'd think West Ham would be crazy not to take it as they'll never get it again but he's been so pivotal to their season and they're unable to replace him now. Difficult decision.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
This Payet one stinks of agent talk to me.. "Unnamed Chinese club" may be about to replace "interest from Manchester United"

prarek

This Payet one stinks of agent talk to me.. "Unnamed Chinese club" may be about to replace "interest from Manchester United"
I think we will see more and more agents using China to get better contracts for their clients.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I think for the next few years the Chinese league will be a pain in the ass with regards to buying players, maybe not for us but for lower to mid-table Premier League clubs they will definitely cause transfer fee/wage inflation and lure away talent.

I also don't see how it won't fizzle out, the current necessary state spending will never be matched by revenue streams and consequently all it takes is for a change in political viewpoint and their clubs are down the toilet.

It's one thing to be a European club investing heavily to reach a certain point where you have access to lucrative money streams that already exist and break even, another thing entirely to establish a whole new league to compete with Europe. Seems like a whimsical and childish strategy they're using right now - open your chequebook and the rest takes care of itself - and the fact they're limited to 5 foreigners per squad means the quality is unlikely to ever be that great.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Hopefully they'll sign Payet just to see that youtuber Spencer Owen's reaction. I don't think he'd be able to get over it hehe

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Why cant one of these come in and offer 25-30 million for Rooney or Fellaini

prarek

Why cant one of these come in and offer 25-30 million for Rooney or Fellaini
Rooney will fetch way more than 25 million i think. Just for his name alone he's one of the most popular names in football. Regardless of his current footballing ability. It would be great publicity and a statement for Chinese football. Now if only Woodward would let them know he's available..

Fellaini has nothing to offer Chinese football.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Rooney will fetch way more than 25 million i think. Just for his name alone he's one of the most popular names in football. Regardless of his current footballing ability. It would be great publicity and a statement for Chinese football. Now if only Woodward would let them know he's available..

Fellaini has nothing to offer Chinese football.

He's got his elbows and I'm sure they've never seen hair like it in China

Yeah if Payet is £35Mill and ramires is £25 mill then surely rooney could push the £40-£50 million barrier.

How amazing would that be for our club getting the money plus £20 million more we paid for him back when he was youngster.

Scorpy

Come on guys, I know Rooney is not the same player anymore, but he's a club legend and wanting to sell him to a fecking Chinese club with the likes of Fellaini seems a bit disrespectful, especially considering the fact that he's been very good since the start of 2016. We have much bigger problems in the team right now anyway.

markorm

One thing you can't ignore though is whatever is being thrown at the players to indict them over there, they still have to live in China.

It's not everyone's cup of tea. And you'd have to be pretty motivated to move and live over there, feck it's difficult enough trying to get top players to Manchester!

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I think for the next few years the Chinese league will be a pain in the ass with regards to buying players, maybe not for us but for lower to mid-table Premier League clubs they will definitely cause transfer fee/wage inflation and lure away talent.

I also don't see how it won't fizzle out, the current necessary state spending will never be matched by revenue streams and consequently all it takes is for a change in political viewpoint and their clubs are down the toilet.

It's one thing to be a European club investing heavily to reach a certain point where you have access to lucrative money streams that already exist and break even, another thing entirely to establish a whole new league to compete with Europe. Seems like a whimsical and childish strategy they're using right now - open your chequebook and the rest takes care of itself - and the fact they're limited to 5 foreigners per squad means the quality is unlikely to ever be that great.
This. Liverpool have already felt that impact with the whole Texeira business. I'm sure they would have gone back for him in the summer.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
One thing you can't ignore though is whatever is being thrown at the players to indict them over there, they still have to live in China.

It's not everyone's cup of tea. And you'd have to be pretty motivated to move and live over there, feck it's difficult enough trying to get top players to Manchester!
I don't think Shanghai is such a terrible place to live when you are rich (admittedly I've only seen pictures). It's a huge city, yes, but looks quite modern.

markorm

I don't think Shanghai is such a terrible place to live when you are rich (admittedly I've only seen pictures). It's a huge city, yes, but looks quite modern.
Admittedly, looks shiny.

I lived close enough to China to understand that I wouldn't want to live there.

If I was an ageing player I'd choose:

LA
Middle East
Australia
Asia
Outer Hebrides
Antarctica
Liverpool
China

In that order

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Admittedly, looks shiny.

I lived close enough to China to understand that I wouldn't want to live there.

If I was an ageing player I'd choose:

LA
Middle East
Australia
Asia
Outer Hebrides
Antarctica
Liverpool
China

In that order
Fair enough, never been to China or anywhere near that parts so cannot comment. Just that Shanghai in particular gave a decent impression.

Scorpy

Isn't air pollution a huge problem in all major Chinese cities? Can't see why any foreigner would fancy living there if that's the case.

I mean, some people are buying bottled air from Canada ffs!

Rafateria

I've lived in China for 20 yrs (3 in HK and 17 in Shanghai). I'd never go back to the UK unless the air here becomes so bad that it's not an option (at the moment Shanghai, on average, is probably no worse than London, it's the North of China where the air is horrendous, and gets blown down here when the prevailing winds are from the N, NE). The quality of life for an expat is just so much higher here.

To call it 'quite' modern is a massive understatement - 3 of the world's top 10 highest buildings within 1/2 mile for example, 2 huge modern airports, the largest Metro system in the world (and it's very clean and very good) - as of 2014 - and still growing at an unprecedented rate, it'll be twice the size of the 2nd largest, London, within 20 years, the fastest, sleekest and sexiest high speed train network in the world, including Japan, huge numbers of top class restaurants, massive shopping malls selling huge amounts of luxury goods (China being set to become the top market this year), top sales market for Jaguar, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW etc. outside of their home countries ... and so on and so on).

It's damn expensive here now though (e.g. imported foodstuff 2-3 times costlier than Waitroses in Canary Wharf (my benchmark as that's where my daughter lives), cars cost 2-3 times those in the USA (same model) plus US$15,000 for your numberplate etc.).

Last edited:

Rafateria

Isn't air pollution a huge problem in all major Chinese cities? Can't see why any foreigner would fancy living there if that's the case.

I mean, some people are buying bottled air from Canada ffs!
Good marketing and immature, unsophisticated buyers (rich doesn't mean educated) ! Re. Air quality - see my post above. Many Chinese cities have issues, especially those in the North and those whose prime income is derived from heavy industries, but not all.