Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
He had a good season and now we hope that he shall continue on his development and become the best CB in the league.

One of our most important players you would think.

Mali_Zeus

I hope he'll continue his good form from last season, avoid injuries. Whoever we bring as a new CB he'll partner Smalling.

Skills

Snitch
This is the season where the #SmallingPlusOne campaigns moves onto #SmallingForCapain @Rozay

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
All those years of Anderson have made me hesitant to say this but is this the season where he really can step it up to the next level?

Glanville95

He is the undisputed leader in our defence now and has grown in stature and influence over the course of last season. I'm really excited to see his progression next season, as he will be playing alongside a defender a level above Jones and Rojo if we do sign Otamendi.

m1y2

All those years of Anderson have made me hesitant to say this but is this the season where he really can step it up to the next level?
he already stepped up, he needs to maintain it. If he stays injury free he will be great. Having someone as tough as Schneidelrin in front of him will massively help too

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
he already stepped up, he needs to maintain it. If he stays injury free he will be great. Having someone as tough as Schneidelrin in front of him will massively help too
I think he's been in good form. Stepping up would be one whole season being the heart of our defense (which personally I am expecting him to do this season)

Giggsy92

Hopefully having a proper right-back next to him and a more reliable partner than Jones will make his job easier. Is he going to be vice-captain now or is it Carrick?

Dr Baltar

If you open them, his performances will indicate that that claim is justified.
He's done nowhere near enough to warrant the superlatives thrown his way by people on here.
Years of poor play followed by 6 months of adequate performances doesn't equate to greatness. I want him to do well & keep improving but the way people speak on here you'd think he's already one of the best defenders in the world.

People need to reign it in......or they could just close their eyes & think the sun shines out of his ass regardless of how he actually plays.

SteveW

He's done nowhere near enough to warrant the superlatives thrown his way by people on here.
Years of poor play followed by 6 months of adequate performances doesn't equate to greatness. I want him to do well & keep improving but the way people speak on here you'd think he's already one of the best defenders in the world.

People need to reign it in......or they could just close their eyes & think the sun shines out of his ass regardless of how he actually plays.
Rubbish

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think I'd exchange him for any centre back in the league.

Skills

Snitch
He was never poor. Comfortably the third best CB at the club from the moment he joined after Rio & Vidic. Just always lacked game time and a bit of experience - mostly due to injuries.

For example his rookie season for us is still better than anything Evans and Jones have produced so far. The following two seasons he was tragically wasted at right back or injured, and he's been our best defender for the last 2 years now.

Ability wise he's still the same player - there's been no mythical improvement in his defending apart from the leadership he displayed last season, and that's because he's just a lot more confident now thanks to finally getting a run of games. The rest of the package was there since he was 21- aerial ability, ground defending, pace, strength and decision making.

ZDwyr

Thought he looked a bit rusty. Got the armband though :drool:

Blue always red

Years of poor play? He was solid as a rock in the 10/11, 11/12 and 12/13 seasons. Had a semi-shite 13/14 like everyone else and suddenly he's always been bad??

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Glad we have Smalling think he will be top drawer this year.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Its been said before and said again, when played at CB, Smalling has always looked solid. Fergie really didnt do him (or Jones) any favours by insisting on playing them both out of position for what felt like about 5 years. He handled the transition from Rio/Vidic really poorly it has to be said (same can be said about midfield), and both Smalling's and Jones' development were likely hindered a bit by that.

Now that he has started to get consistent gametime, Smalling has looked like our best defender and always has done. The argument that he is poor on the ball is valid, but it is worth noting that in his first couple of seasons at the club, passing and ball-playing was considered a big strength of his, and he was compared Rio in that regard (with Jones as the Vidic of the pair). Whether it was due to confidence, being played out of position or some other factor, we will likely never know why his on-the-ball ability seemed to deteriorate a bit, but the ability is definitely there.

I think that with the responsibility he appears to be given of being our leader in defence and potentially even getting the captain's armband at some point, it will hopefully spur him on and give Smalling the confidence to really step it up another notch. He (still) has the potential to be a really complete defender (including passing etc).

mufcwarm92

Pure fiction.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His demeanour gives the impression he's not as good on the ball as he is. He's not Nesta but he's very capable with the ball at his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.