Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rio was never a one man defence.
He was. During the pre Vidic times he single-handedly lead the defense. The defense leaked goals for fun prior to his arrival and once again leaked goals when he got suspended.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was. During the pre Vidic times he single-handedly lead the defense. The defense leaked goals for fun prior to his arrival and once again leaked goals when he got suspended.
We were at times good defensively pre-Vidic, but Rio had plenty of sloppy moments as did our defence. It was only when Rio had Vidic next to him when our defence was really excellent. Before that Rio and whoever his partner were prone to getting bullied by physically strong strikers.

Silverman

Needs someone more physical next to him, blind is an intelligent defender but doesn't have the physical attributes, put Mensah next to him, what have we got to lose now?
But if Smalling isn't the physical CB then what does he bring? He's certainly not a ball player. It's an awkward one.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But if Smalling isn't the physical CB then what does he bring? He's certainly not a ball player. It's an awkward one.
He is the physical CB. He just needs a partner who can win his headers, have some pace, as well as play competently with the ball at his feet. That's why I'd love Marquinhos - he is very good on the ball, lightening quick and has a very impressive leap.

Silverman

He is the physical CB. He just needs a partner who can win his headers, have some pace, as well as play competently with the ball at his feet. That's why I'd love Marquinhos - he is very good on the ball, lightening quick and has a very impressive leap.
I would agree in saying that he should be the physical CB. The team is so dis-jointed that I don't think it's fair to judge any player this season.

devilish

We were at times good defensively pre-Vidic, but Rio had plenty of sloppy moments as did our defence. It was only when Rio had Vidic next to him when our defence was really excellent. Before that Rio and whoever his partner were prone to getting bullied by physically strong strikers.
In 2001-2002 United (ie the season between Stam departure and Rio's signing) ended up 3rd, 10 points away from Arsenal. Our GA was 45, which placed us 6th behind Chelsea. The season after (we bought Rio), we won the EPL title with a GA of 34 IE 11 less Goals against then the season before. The season after, Rio got suspended (it kickstarted in January 2004) and we ended up 3rd again. That kick started a spending spree which saw us signing Heinze (2004), Vidic and Evra (2006). That's how important our Rio was in his first years with us.

The defense pre Rio and post Stam was shit. Irwin and Blanc were ancient (ancient museum level), Wes and Johnsen were constantly riddled with injuries, Silvestre was hilarious, May was amazingly still a United player and we had the Nevilles. No wonder why SAF decided to invest heavily in the defense in the next years.

devilish

However this is not a Rio thread so lets stop to that (or else we discuss the matter in a separate thread)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In 2001-2002 United (ie the season between Stam departure and Rio's signing) ended up 3rd, 10 points away from Arsenal. Our GA was 45, which placed us 6th behind Chelsea. The season after (we bought Rio), we won the EPL title with a GA of 34 IE 11 less Goals against then the season before. The season after, Rio got suspended (it kickstarted in January 2004) and we ended up 3rd again. That kick started a spending spree which saw us signing Heinze (2004), Vidic and Evra (2006). That's how important our Rio was in his first years with us.

The defense pre Rio and post Stam was shit. Irwin and Blanc were ancient (ancient museum level), Wes and Johnsen were constantly riddled with injuries, Silvestre was hilarious, May was amazingly still a United player and we had the Nevilles. No wonder why SAF decided to invest heavily in the defense in the next years.
If you purely want to look at defensive record, we've conceded 30 goals this season and have the second best defensive record in the league.

Our goals (A) from 02/03 and 05/06 (Pre-Vidic), was 34, 35, 26, and 34. Those aren't particularly special numbers barring one season and not actually very different to this season's tally.

The same for the years when we won the league thrice on the trot (with Vidic joining Rio) was 27, 22 and 24.

Now, I do think looking at simple statistics like this can often result in missing the true picture as there are so many other factors involved, but to me it was clear from watching us from 02/03 to 05/06 that we lacked a defender who could physically dominate. And that's where your Rio "one man defence" theory fails. If he was a one man defence, he wasn't a complete one. Otherwise fans wouldn't have been begging for a no nonsense CB which there was a clamour for. So it's a bit unfair to claim that Smalling isn't a one man defence when even Rio really wasn't.

wiz4231

he played well as a CB so why would we play him as a LB?
He's good because he can pass, he's good because he needs Smalling to cover him for headers? I don't get it. Did you see at any point vertonghen cover for alderweireld or vise versa? No both held their own, something blind can't do and that affects our defensive stability. We can look at stats and say it's all good whilst Smalling is covering for him but when there an error like yesterday it clear as day it's a weakness of ours and an issue that needs addressing

wiz4231

Pretty sure what was down to TFM following Ericksen inside, and nothing to do with covering for Blind. We haven't really seen that all season expect when Varela had a similar man marking job to do.

I think right now he should be starting CB with the current squad, but I would hope we upgraded on him in the summer.
I think he is a good player in a number of positions, fair enough probably shouldn't be starting but to say he is shite all round I don't agree.
It's not tfm fault, he has to tuck inside, every time Smalling has to cover for Blind the right back has to tuck inside to cover smalling (its something darmian has struggled with) and if our wide man is not there to cover the RB it's a huge problem, its not an issue we should be having, having spent 300m. This is also evident in attack, having this issue does not allow to field attack minded player on the right wing because we become exposed in this area, its okay to play defensive Winger like young or Lingard because they'll track back and cover but we then lack in numbers when transition into attack. All this because 1 is not fit enough to do his job and I'm not talking about jones

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not tfm fault, he has to tuck inside, every time Smalling has to cover for Blind the right back has to tuck inside and if our wide man is not there it's a huge problem, its not an issue we should be having, having spent 300m. This is also evident in attack, having this issue does not allow to field attack minded player at wing because become exposed in this area, its okay to play defensive Winger like young or Lingard because they'll track back and cover but we then lack in numbers when transition into attack. All this because 1 is not fit enough to do his job and I'm not talking about jones
I was't saying it was his fault, it seemed like an odd tactical decision to me rather than Blinds fault. TFM looked to be man marking Ericksen is all I was saying

wiz4231

I was't saying it was his fault, it seemed like an odd tactical decision to me rather than Blinds fault. TFM looked to be man marking Ericksen is all I was saying
I agree he had to do that everytime Smalling had moved out of position to cover blind but when the defensive line was intact alli was his man. If you watch the game again there were time tfm didn't know where to position himself, does he stick with his man or cover Smalling every time he went to cover for Blind. This is an issue that need dealing but so many overlook it because he can play a pass.

Last edited:

prath92

He's good because he can pass, he's good because he needs Smalling to cover him for headers? I don't get it. Did you see at any point vertonghen cover for alderweireld or vise versa? No both held their own, something blind can't do and that affects our defensive stability. We can look at stats and say it's all good whilst Smalling is covering for him but when there an error like yesterday it clear as day it's a weakness of ours and an issue that needs addressing
There were plenty of times where Vertonghen and alderweireld had to cover for each other this season. And they would have done that if we attacked more (actually when martial went on his run Vertonghen and dier had to cover him for alderweireld). Blind has shown time and again that he is an able CB. Your whole 'he is playing there only because he can pass' is something I would expect a Liverpool fan to say to irritate a united fan. Not to mention the 'he's shite all around' and 'Smalling has been making him look good all season' comments which is absolute nonsense once again. Many football writers have praised Blind playing as a CB this season so either you are wrong or they are. And it's not very difficult to decide who is.

wiz4231

There were plenty of times where Vertonghen and alderweireld had to cover for each other this season. And they would have done that if we attacked more (actually when martial went on his run Vertonghen and dier had to cover him for alderweireld). Blind has shown time and again that he is an able CB. Your whole 'he is playing there only because he can pass' is something I would expect a Liverpool fan to say to irritate a united fan. Not to mention the 'he's shite all around' and 'Smalling has been making him look good all season' comments which is absolute nonsense once again. Many football writers have praised Blind playing as a CB this season so either you are wrong or they are. And it's not very difficult to decide who is.
Replace Smalling and buying a right footed blind is the solution?

thepolice123

TBF Rio's biggest weakness was his concentration. He had great potential as a young defender but he was really daft at times. We collapsed in the second half of the 03-04 season when he got banned.

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

Devil may care

Like I said in Blind's thread, it was a very good CB partnership outing for the two of them. I think he needs to watch how handsy he gets though, refs are going to start looking to pull him up on it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Carroll, Kane, Lukaku and Aguero in the last 4 games have got very little out of him (and Blind). Comfortably one of our better performers this season if not the best.

Sylar

Carroll, Kane, Lukaku and Aguero in the last 4 games have got very little out of him (and Blind). Comfortably one of our better performers this season if not the best.
Agreed, in one on one duals hes been really good. Its nice to have a defender who can defend. Just wish his distribution was better than it is or he wasnt scared to come out with the ball and make a decisive forward pass like Rio used to.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As long as Blind won his share of headers :drool:

Manny

Grammar Police
His lack of composure when dealing with loose balls is really starting to piss me off.

Time and time again he's clearing balls straight back to the opposition, slicing through clearances or just getting a crap contact on the ball. For our first choice centerback, he rarely looks like he has things under control and that nervousness must filter through to the rest of the team.

That cross at the end where West Ham put the ball in the net but it was offside, kind of sums its up. Jumping to clear a waist high cross, swinging a leg at it and missing then heading the clearance straight to a West Ham player.

Sylar

Opposition should press other players and leave him open for a pass. Then once he receives it, dont press him, just mark other players.
He will either run forward and then pass it back or boot it to the opposition player 90% of the time. :P

Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace

Rossa

Gosh darn it, he was bleedin brilliant today, me thought. That one time where he toyed with Adebayor in a race was brilliant. Just before that, Adebayor had shrugged off and out paced Blind like Blind wasn't there. Smalling's physique is immense. Better on the ball today, but acres of space.

prath92

Gosh darn it, he was bleedin brilliant today, me thought. That one time where he toyed with Adebayor in a race was brilliant. Just before that, Adebayor had shrugged off and out paced Blind like Blind wasn't there. Smalling's physique is immense. Better on the ball today, but acres of space.
Not sure what game you were watching? Blind bossed adebayor sako and at times even Zaha today. Both CBs were faultless

Rossa

Not sure what game you were watching? Blind bossed adebayor sako and at times even Zaha today. Both CBs were faultless
Calm down - I wasn't criticising Blind - I thought he was good, but he was still out paced and out muscled by Adebayor earlier in the game. He got away with it because Adebayor clumsily lost the ball over the line for a goal kick. It was a one time incident, jeez

Rossa

My MOTM, tucked Adebayor in time and again and strode around like the cock of the walk back there.
Absolutely brilliant, and this thread is almost like a tomb. He makes defending look so easy, but I love the way he wrestles with the attacker in aerial duels from goal kicks - he pressures them only to fall back and then pressure them again - great play time and time again.

prath92

Calm down - I wasn't criticising Blind - I thought he was good, but he was still out paced and out muscled by Adebayor earlier in the game. He got away with it because Adebayor clumsily lost the ball over the line for a goal kick. It was a one time incident, jeez
Sorry man I didn't mean to sound rude. :(

And ya I think we both are in agreement there. Both were good today.

Revan

Assumptionman
Beast mode today, like at the beginning of the season. Very happy to see it!

LouisDanGaal

His standards are so high after early season we barely get excited when he goes into beast mode, he spoils us.

Trizy

Best CB in the league this season, had a blip not too long ago but didn't last long. Bossing it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hes the best one on one defender in the world, doesnt mean hes the best CB but his height, strength and lighting pace make him a nightmare for even the best players. Very easy game from him today but was nonetheless flawless.

Sylar

Think it was good to have a game like that just before the match on Saturday.

I was worried that he may have been injured, but thankfully he ran it off. Another game like this against Lukaku on Saturday will be great.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's back in form after a patchy period. He and Blind have been sublime is the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.