g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

Rock today, was disappointed with the comments in this thread over the last few weeks, forgetting that he saved our bacon time and time again in the first half of the season.

Perrick Dubois

Absolute animal today (didn't see the first half). A few times when City were piling on a bit of pressure he was the one back defending everything and I was sat watching giong "honestly.. Where is Blind...!?" must be horrible to play beside somebody who is positionally very poor.

Should have been off for a second yellow mind, but we are due a bit of luck this season.

RK

I love Smalling and think he has been fanastic recently despite the criticism. But he didn't deserve MotM today due to the rashness.
He's immovable against the big strikers but players of the Aguero ilk can sometimes cause him problems. If I were an opposing manager I'd sit one of these players on him but there aren't many left in the league (Vardy, Long?). Good job he's rapid.

Walters_19_MuFc

Beast mode. Should have probably got sent off, but because the ref didnt give us a pen, he didnt have the balls to send Smalling off.

Devil may care

Should have been sent off but other than that had a very go game, him and Blind have to do a lot with no legs in the DM role and dodgy fullback either side.

Shimo

Not sure he was lucky not to be sent off. The first yellow was a weird one for Oliver to give considering the way he didn't give out another yellow for worse offenses after that. Blind is a good partner but, can see him becoming even better with another top defender along side.

Sylar

Kinda lucky today. I actually thought his first booking was harsh compared to the one he didnt get. He was chasing Aguero too much but other than that, he was rock solid. Made some really important blocks and read the play in the box really well.

Robbie Boy

Could have seen red alright. Good performance and a much needed one as I don't think he's been that good lately. Our defence as a whole is still poor; if Aguero hadn't of had such an off day and Bony wasn't complete shite, we could well have been easily beaten.

m1y2

quite stupid to get that yellow early on but he was immense for the rest of the game, did great to stay on his feet and tackle aguero to get the ball from him in the box in added time..:drool: vintage mike

Bwuk

Didn't think he was anywhere near as good as some, and Aguero got by him one time just far too easily.

Really needs to improve on the ball.

ravi2

One of his best games all season, can you imagine when he is paired with a solid CB next season how much more he would shine?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
in last few games he started following strikers very deep and that opens our defence big time....other then that he was good.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Surprised at the comments today. I thought he had a poor game owing to the fact that he should have been sent off in the first half. That said, he defended pretty well although City were dire in attack from pretty much the moment we scored.

There were also times when he pursued Aguero right back practically over the half way line. If City's other attackers had better movement they could have potentially exploited that.

Last edited:

Laphroaig

in last few games he started following strikers very deep and that opens our defence big time....other then that he was good.
That has to be directions. It was extreme against Liverpool. Not only does it open our defence, it removes the defender who is usually sweeping up the mess.
Surprised at the comments today. I thought he had a poor game owing to the fact that he should have been sent off in the first half.
What?
There were also times when he pursued Aguero right back practically over the half way line. If City's other attackers had better movement they could have potentially exploited that.
Maybe that was the plan? As long as we've got a handle of Aguero, the rest of the team can easily handle the rest of them. Turns out it was the case.

Natener

Surprised at the comments today. I thought he had a poor game owing to the fact that he should have been sent off in the first half. That said, he defended pretty well although City were dire in attack from pretty much the moment we scored.

Yeah, but he wasn't and that doesn't negate the other good things he did rest of the game.

Theonas

Scout
Really feels good that we have a player that can be considered one of or own looking good enough to carry the mantle and become a regular. A team always needs these players who grow with the team like Vidic, Evra, Carrick ... . That next batch of Cleverley, Anderson, Jones have been disappointing to say the least but at least one of them should be a regular for us and ensure some sort of identity in this team.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yeah, but he wasn't and that doesn't negate the other good things he did rest of the game.
Perhaps its just from me spending too much time in the Fellaini thread listening to "should have been sent off" type comments every week, I dunno. I find it hard to say a player had a good game when they only remained on the pitch due to the ref utterly bottling it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Fair point, was very lucky to remain on the pitch and I was frustrated with him for parts of the game, but I think he managed to make up for it overall with his resilient defending towards the end.

Natener

Perhaps its just from me spending too much time in the Fellaini thread listening to "should have been sent off" type comments every week, I dunno. I find it hard to say a player had a good game when they only remained on the pitch due to the ref utterly bottling it.
Easy. Think of a forward that could have been sent off that goes on to score a couple of goals or a goalie making a great save. Might not be MOTM performance for you, but harsh to brand it a poor game based on something that didn't happen.

Ibi Dreams

Would have been a bit soft for him to be sent off, really. His second foul wasn't that bad at all and it actually looked relatively accidental. You see players get away with much worse all the time, like Mangala did in the same game.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He is having poor second half of the season but his movement and our defensive shape lately is ridiculous, I seriously think it's down to the tactics, they are instructed to chase various players and leave their positions all the time, there's no way he is doing it because he thinks that's the way he should defend. We had some ridiculous defensive shapes already and we are just 13 minutes into the game.
I believe it's to instructions. Other teams have noticed it and have been exploiting it, doubt the coaches haven't. I cautiously celebrated when he took the early yellow because it meant he'd have to restrain himself.

Rossa

Terrific performance today! Had Lukaku in his pocket once more and made some vital interceptions. Lukaku simply gave up in the end. He has to be aggressive because Blind can't (Blind had a good game, so nothing bad about that performance), and therefore he may look a little careless as he is pretty much all over the pitch defending, but he shut down their play so often. Great performance - highlighted by the Norwegian commentator actually - not often a defender gets that much credit.

Looks like Smalling is finding some form again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Both he and Blind had a good game. The latter did even better when you consider how frequently Lukaku tried to isolate him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah back to more or less his best today. Good time to find form!

marlowe78

We talk about De Gea, could you imagine what this season would've looked like if he was injured for any lengthy period of time?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Terrific performance today! Had Lukaku in his pocket once more and made some vital interceptions. Lukaku simply gave up in the end. He has to be aggressive because Blind can't (Blind had a good game, so nothing bad about that performance), and therefore he may look a little careless as he is pretty much all over the pitch defending, but he shut down their play so often. Great performance - highlighted by the Norwegian commentator actually - not often a defender gets that much credit.

Looks like Smalling is finding some form again.
It's patently untrue to suggest Smalling aggressively man-marked Lukaku while Blind just sweeped up behind in this game. Michael Cox's take on it was almost the complete reverse:

"Lukaku spent much of the first half positioning himself up against Daley Blind, who has become a regular at the heart of United’s defence but lacks the traditional physical qualities required for a battle against the striker. Nevertheless, Blind was superb until he departed through injury with 10 minutes remaining, and unquestionably came out on top against Lukaku."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/03/manchester-united-daley-blind-romelu-lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.