Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

On today's performance Smalling is a ballon d'or contender whilst Blind is a contender for best championship defender, don't let his passing fool you into thinking he's good at defending
Blind's passing was also pretty awful today.

ZDwyr

He was a bit better than the last few weeks. He still looked absolutely knackered to me at times, needs a rest.

Sylar

He needs a proper LCB next to him. Somebody like prime Vidic.

Smalling won 3 out 7 aerial duels, Blind won 3 out of 4. Smalling made 2 out of 4 successful heading clearances, Blind made 5 out of 5. Shane Long beat Smalling in the air on several occasions.
Stats are deceiving, Smalling one 2 really good defensive headers which bailed our defence out. Two of the aereal battles he lost, im pretty sure we got the ball from it because Long stretched to head it with nobody around but our players.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He needs a proper LCB next to him. Somebody like prime Vidic.

Stats are deceiving, Smalling one 2 really good defensive headers which bailed our defence out. Two of the aereal battles he lost, im pretty sure we got the ball from it because Long stretched to head it with nobody around but our players.
They also prove that he has a partner that did something.

Sylar

They also prove that he has a partner that did something.
Yes and no, as I said stats are deceiving. There is no context in terms of how he won the headers or cleared them. Regardless, Blind was one of the worst players on the pitch today whereas Smalling is one of the best.

Acole9

Outstanding
I just hope he cuts out holding on to players shirts it's doing my head in!

Acole9

Outstanding
Every defender does that in the box in the PL, why is it blown out of proportion when it comes to Smalling?
Because he gave away a penalty against Newcastle the last time he did it perhaps. Referee's will soon start taking note of it more like what happened with Shawcross.

Derby 1:3 Man Utd

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Don't you dare revert to early Smalling Utd days Mike.

That Derby goal was all his fault. Snap out of it Mike.

The Hilton

His concentration seems to have slipped a lot during the season, occasionally prone to the brainfarts that we were used to from the Smalling of old. His top level hasn't dipped, like that excellent tackle just now, but he seems to switch off a bit more.

RonaldoVII

Don't you dare revert to early Smalling Utd days Mike.

That Derby goal was all his fault. Snap out of it Mike.
Bit harsh, you can't blame him for their DM running past our whole midfield to get in behind. If they don't track they need to at least alert our defence to the threat.

FC Ronaldo

Bit harsh, you can't blame him for their DM running past our whole midfield to get in behind. If they don't track they need to at least alert our defence to the threat.
He failed to win the initial challenge. Then decided not to fall back into line after it was lost. Then charged across to the left hand side, and in front of Blind, to fail to win it again. Thus leaving the gaping hole that was then exploited by Derby.

So yeah, he's pretty accountable in my eyes mate.

Zoo

Thorne ran through from defensive midfield, he should have been picked up. And Blind was beaten far too easily on the header but that's what can happen as he isn't a CB. Collective fault.

Classical Mechanic

The only criticism I have him tonight was when he was too chicken to pass the ball forwards between the lines to Mata when he was wide open. Passing the ball forward is the same principle as passing it sideways Chris!

I thouhgt the goal was Schneiderlin's fault.

FC Ronaldo

Thorne ran through from defensive midfield, he should have been picked up. And Blind was beaten far too easily on the header but that's what can happen as he isn't a CB. Collective fault.
Eh? See post above.

NinjaFletch

The goals not his fault imo.

Yeah he could/should win the header, but we shouldn't concede a goal every time he doesn't. Blind needs to drop off when he goes for it and Schneiderlin needs to not lose his runner.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was at fault for the goal but the fact that Blind isn't even aware that there is player behind him is quite impressive awareness from him.

Skills

Snitch
What should he have done differently in your opinion? 100% Schneiderlin's fault imo.
Not bothered pushing out to compete for the header, then we can post 100% header win rate stats after the game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What should he have done differently in your opinion? 100% Schneiderlin's fault imo.
After he lost that header drop back into position instead of running out chasing way out to the left side, leaving the middle of the pitch wide open? Standard defending really.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Smalling didnt need to go after the ball when he lost that header.
Schneiderlin didnt follow the run of Thorne.
Varela didnt cover for Smalling, awful positioning.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The goal was on him. But others are also culpable, Varela and Schneiderlin especially.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
After he lost that header drop back into position instead of running out chasing way out to the left side, leaving the middle of the pitch wide open? Standard defending really.
If he'd just turned round and run back to position then the Derby player on the ball would have had a free run at our back four. Schneiderlin should have noticed Smalling had no choice but to close the man down and filled in. Alternatively Schneiderlin or Fellaini should have been there shielding the back 4 so Smalling didn't have to.

Most of Smalling's mistakes this season have come from him needing to be in 2 places at once. If other players did their jobs properly, like they were doing earlier in the season when Schweinsteiger was fit, Smalling would be looking like a world beater again.

Devil may care

In fairness he used to having to scamper across to the left to cover Blind's grass when we are facing an attack, I thought he made some important challenges today, he needs to get back his first half of the season form though.

Ryan7

I thought he played well. Made quite a few very important challenges. I blame Schneiderlin for the goal personally.

ZDwyr

I think the blame for the goal can be pretty evenly divided among two or three, Smalling included. His concentration and decision-making has definitely dropped recently. Still doing some things quite well, but not others. I suppose his mind is not used to having to concentrate for 90 minutes every week, usually his body has failed him three or four times in the season by now.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't think there's a need to blame anyone for the goal. Derby did nothing in the game before or after the goal. It was a blind pass perfectly in the line of the attacker who controlled it perfectly. It was a ridiculous goal from that side.

Man Utd 3:0 Stoke

Devil may care

I saw he made the top 4 in the MOTM vote, I didn't think he was that great, maybe I have just raised the bar to high in my expectations of him. He was solid though, just needs to be a bit more careful when surging out IMO.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He got my vote for MOTM although i think it was a close one with Martial. He was an absolute rock today against crouch who is a menace to deal with for many defenders. Also made a couple of vital blocks and interceptions and i thought he drove the ball out from the back in fantastic fashion. Hes had a dip in form last few weeks....right back to the top CB in the division today!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He did well and was solid tonight. Shame he's not better on the ball though. I think he would be knocking on the door of world class if he was. The opposition regularly seem happy to let him run into their half as they know very well that he'll stop dead and pass sideways/backwards. Imagine if he was a genuine threat who needed to be closed down :drool:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Calm and solid. Shame he always has a brainfart in the final third when he runs forward with the ball though

Ryan7

He got my vote for MOTM although i think it was a close one with Martial. He was an absolute rock today against crouch who is a menace to deal with for many defenders. Also made a couple of vital blocks and interceptions and i thought he drove the ball out from the back in fantastic fashion. Hes had a dip in form last few weeks....right back to the top CB in the division today!
Likewise. He handled Crouch's aerial threat brilliantly.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He did well and was solid tonight. Shame he's not better on the ball though. I think he would be knocking on the door of world class if he was. The opposition regularly seem happy to let him run into their half as they know very well that he'll stop dead and pass sideways/backwards. Imagine if he was a genuine threat who needed to be closed down :drool:
True that. Strange to see actually, they're not worried at all, but to be fair why would they be? Just once though I hope he catches them by surprise and tries to go all the way, he's got the pace if not the technique, Carrick's got his back, no worries.

Treble

When is Mike going to get some rest? He will be knackered soon if LVG keeps playing him in every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.