Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

I think his overall performance wasn't helped by the midfield in front of him.

He took on too much responsibility for the first goal and stepped into midfield to try and neutralise the threat of Wijnaldum but was punished for it.

He also seems to be finding himself further up the pitch every game trying to start attacks off for us. I like that he's trying to help but it clearly isn't his natural game and he should stick to what he's good at.

The Mitrovic thing was just completely daft though, can't excuse that. Hopefully he learns from it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Was uncharacteristically poor yesterday, deserves the benefit of the doubt as he's been one of our best players this season.

wiz4231

He's shit, Memphis is shit, De Gea's shit for letting 3 goals in, everyone's shit, let's buy a new team every season or why not pick a new team to get behind....Jesus...fs

JoaquinJoaquin

Been poor for the last 3 weeks now. I just hope that the good form he showed wasn't just a false dawn.

Zoo

He needs a natural CB to partner him, Jones are Rojo are unreliable and it's looking like it was a mistake not to bring one in last summer. Blind isn't the long term answer there and I'd actually like to see him again in midfield.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's shit, Memphis is shit, De Gea's shit for letting 3 goals in, everyone's shit, let's buy a new team every season or why not pick a new team to get behind....Jesus...fs
Literally nobody in this thread has said he's shit because of yesterdays performance though...

People should be allowed to say our players have had a crap game when they have crap games though... otherwise, whats the point?

Brophs

The One and Only
He's looked a little shaky since that injury in the CL game. I wonder has he been carrying a knock.

wiz4231

Literally nobody in this thread has said he's shit because of yesterdays performance though...

People should be allowed to say our players have had a crap game when they have crap games though... otherwise, whats the point?
What's this BS with blind being better of the 2, I don't get it, does Smalling need Fellaini to do his defending too?
What people need to understand is Smalling will never be at his best until we get a proper CB next to him so until then he will look like he's having defensive lapses. There was nothing wrong with him stepping out yesterday for the first goal, he has every right to if he feels that's the right thing to do, his partner should be able to cover him but he's not able to, not in the way he does for them. For example if we were to take Rio and Vidics partnership in the same scenario, Smalling being Rio and Blind being Vidic, even if "Rio" did step out do you think for a second that the ball would reach Mitrovic? Hell no, "Vidic" would have headed the ball, Mitrovic and Fellaini to the half way line, that's the problem here, he needs quality next to him. It's frustrating to see him gets so much shite over 1 performance, he's been 1 of our best player this season. I guess its the usual jumping on the bandwagon as posters do after every game.
The second goal was never a penalty, that happens at every corner in the league, Mitrovic made a right meal of it and the deflection was just unlucky, on another day it would have been classed as a block.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Very uncharacteristically poor game from him yesterday, real shame as we were finally good upfront. He's been solid for about a year or more now, every player has an off game now and again. Sometimes it can be hidden somewhat thanks to the other defenders (who were also poor last night) or midfield (which was non existent), but yesterday it was cruelly exposed. He'll bounce back with no problem though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely awful. Cost us two points through carelessness, stupidity and a lack of conviction respectively on the 3 goals conceded.

To be fair to him, he's had a brilliant season so far, it's just a shame that he made so many mistakes all in one game today.

amolbhatia50k

Very uncharacteristically poor game from him yesterday, real shame as we were finally good upfront. He's been solid for about a year or more now, every player has an off game now and again. Sometimes it can be hidden somewhat thanks to the other defenders (who were also poor last night) or midfield (which was non existent), but yesterday it was cruelly exposed. He'll bounce back with no problem though.
Yeah every top defender will have bad moments. But he has to make sure his bad games don't involve a mistake each on three goals.

NinjaFletch

Yeah every top defender will have bad moments. But he has to make sure his bad games don't involve a mistake each on three goals.
I think its very harsh blaming him for their first. He's basically doing Fellaini's job because he's decided to drop into centre back for some reason, even then we don't concede if A) Fellaini manages to head the ball like a normal human being or B) Blind realises that Fellaini has gone for the ball and doesn't go for it as well. He deserves a bit of blame for losing Wijnaldum too easily, but I really wouldn't pile in on Smalling first.

I'm not really sure he did a huge amount wrong for the third, either.

POF

Poor game today but it was Wijnaldum that caused him the most problems with his movement. He handled Mitrovic very comfortably apart from the penalty brain snap. Those blaming him for the 3rd goal . . . . .

Bad games happen. He's still had a great season and is easily the best defender at the club.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think its very harsh blaming him for their first. He's basically doing Fellaini's job because he's decided to drop into centre back for some reason, even then we don't concede if A) Fellaini manages to head the ball like a normal human being or B) Blind realises that Fellaini has gone for the ball and doesn't go for it as well. He deserves a bit of blame for losing Wijnaldum too easily, but I really wouldn't pile in on Smalling first.

Fellaini decided to drop back into centre back to provide some cover because Smalling wasn't there. I wouldn't give him too much blame for the goal admittedly, because it was very well worked by Newcastle.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Playing next to a midfielder pretending to be a defender, winger, and a questionable defender in Darmian as his defensive colleagues, and a midfield in front of that terrible defensively and hadn't any control of the game, he was always going to be exposed, even Vidic wouldn't be able to defend in that kind of environment. He was poor, I am not denying it, but blaming him for all three goals is ridiculous, he can't be one man defence in every game he plays.

He was at blame for the first goal, but we are talking about a situation in which Fellaini and Blind can't win a header together against one Newcastle player. Smalling covering was poor though, no doubt about it, but with decent defender around him who wins that header that would have never been a goal. The penalty situation is harsh, foul on him was more evident than the one he made, poor refereeing. As for the third goals I have no idea how he could be blamed for that, he won a header and Schneiderlin and Young(where is everyone else) were really poor to react to block the shot, blaming him because the ball deflected off his arm is harsh.

Anyway, poor game, but doesn't deserve more criticism than anyone else around him keeping the defence.

amolbhatia50k

He left the guy who scored unmarked when he was right infront of him making a run into the heart of the box, didn't he? I'll have to see replays but when you're not marking anyone and you can see the opposition team's best player bombing into the box for a knock-down and you're closest to him, you have to track the run.

The third goal, again, I should see the replay, but his header seemed so weak. He needs to win those. He's our main physical defender and needs to be our Terry/Vidic in the box rather than our Blind/Mascherano.

NinjaFletch

He left the guy who scored unmarked when he was right infront of him making a run into the heart of the box, didn't he? I'll have to see replays but when you're not marking anyone and you can see the opposition team's best player bombing into the box for a knock-down and you're closest to him, you have to track the run.

The third goal, again, I should see the replay, but his header seemed so weak. He needs to win those. He's our main physical defender and needs to be our Terry/Vidic in the box rather than our Blind/Mascherano.
I don't think he left him unmarked, I think Wijanldum just sprinted away from him. I'm not sure he even made a mistake, he reacted quickly to the turn and ran after him immediately but simply wasn't as quick over that distance. Even then we don't concede if Fellaini does absolutely anything else than knock the ball down perfectly.

As for the third, I think he gets as much on the header as he physically can. He's under an awful lot of pressure and the balls in an awkward position. I think the main reason we concede that is because Young doesn't react and just watches the ball go to Dummett. In comparison Schneiderlin comes closer to blocking it despite starting further away.

Second one I have no defence for him, I think it was incredibly harsh that he got penalised the second Mitrovic put his hands around Smalling's neck and choke slammed him, but if you're going to start the wresting match like Smalling did then I guess its your own fault if you get punished for what happens during it.

http://lasthighlight.com/newcastle-vs-manchester-united-highlights-full-match/

amolbhatia50k

I don't think he left him unmarked, I think Wijanldum just sprinted away from him. I'm not sure he even made a mistake, he reacted quickly to the turn and ran after him immediately but simply wasn't as quick over that distance. Even then we don't concede if Fellaini does absolutely anything else than knock the ball down perfectly.

As for the third, I think he gets as much on the header as he physically can. He's under an awful lot of pressure and the balls in an awkward position. I think the main reason we concede that is because Young doesn't react and just watches the ball go to Dummett. In comparison Schneiderlin comes closer to blocking it despite starting further away.

Second one I have no defence for him, I think it was incredibly harsh that he got penalised the second Mitrovic put his hands around Smalling's neck and choke slammed him, but if you're going to start the wresting match like Smalling did then I guess its your own fault if you get punished for what happens during it.

http://lasthighlight.com/newcastle-vs-manchester-united-highlights-full-match/
Cheers. I'll have a look at that in a bit as I'm just presently reacting after watching the game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Playing next to a midfielder pretending to be a defender, winger, and a questionable defender in Darmian as his defensive colleagues, and a midfield in front of that terrible defensively and hadn't any control of the game, he was always going to be exposed, even Vidic wouldn't be able to defend in that kind of environment. He was poor, I am not denying it, but blaming him for all three goals is ridiculous, he can't be one man defence in every game he plays.

He was at blame for the first goal, but we are talking about a situation in which Fellaini and Blind can't win a header together against one Newcastle player. Smalling covering was poor though, no doubt about it, but with decent defender around him who wins that header that would have never been a goal. The penalty situation is harsh, foul on him was more evident than the one he made, poor refereeing. As for the third goals I have no idea how he could be blamed for that, he won a header and Schneiderlin and Young(where is everyone else) were really poor to react to block the shot, blaming him because the ball deflected off his arm is harsh.

Anyway, poor game, but doesn't deserve more criticism than anyone else around him keeping the defence.
Fellaini did win the header though. It fell straight to a Newcastle player who Smalling was struggling to keep up with. Again, I won't give him too much blame since it was a genuinely well worked goal, but I think there's a danger that we're arguably trying to excuse for Smalling's mistakes/poor performances by trying to highlight those around him. Yeah, he's probably not got the best defence, but that was often the case last season when our defence was probably our weakpoint, and it's not as if it's suddenly changed in recent weeks. Smalling isn't helped by who he has around him, but he still had a poor game, and that's on him.

Parma Dewol

Smalling has been brilliant this season but he was way below par last night. Not surprising, though, when you consider that he has been holding our defence together single-handedly for the majority of our season. That in itself is some feat, particularly when you take into account our excellent defensive record.

He desperately needs a proper centre-back partner to share some of the burden. Blind is filling in but clearly isn't a long-term solution. There's no certainty Jones is going to step up to the plate. Rojo still has plenty to prove.

Going forward, Shaw - ? - Smalling - Darmian, could be a very good back line and Smalling would lead it well, but that question mark is a big hole.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Fellaini did win the header though. It fell straight to a Newcastle player who Smalling was struggling to keep up with. Again, I won't give him too much blame since it was a genuinely well worked goal, but I think there's a danger that we're arguably trying to excuse for Smalling's mistakes/poor performances by trying to highlight those around him. Yeah, he's probably not got the best defence, but that was often the case last season when our defence was probably our weakpoint, and it's not as if it's suddenly changed in recent weeks. Smalling isn't helped by who he has around him, but he still had a poor game, and that's on him.
I am not sure that counts as successful header except in stats. If you asked Wijnaldum what kind of header he expected from Mitrovic I am sure he would say he wouldn't have asked for better than he got from Fellaini.
Also, what was the point of Blind then if Fellaini was there to challenge for a header? I am really not sure what is the point of Blind in many defensive situations tbf, quite often he makes more mess than he is actually being helpful.

Btw, as I said, Smalling is most at fault for that goal, I am not saying I am not blaming him, just saying that mistake would never happened if we had defender around him who is actually decent defender and can win a simple header. If he is asked to do more job than any defender is expected to do, of course he is going to make mistakes, that's why I am highlighting those around him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I am not sure that counts as successful header except in stats. If you asked Wijnaldum what kind of header he expected from Mitrovic I am sure he would say he wouldn't have asked for better than he got from Fellaini.
Also, what was the point of Blind then if Fellaini was there to challenge for a header? I am really not sure what is the point of Blind in many defensive situations tbf, quite often he makes more mess than he is actually being helpful.

Btw, as I said, Smalling is most at fault for that goal, I am not saying I am not blaming him, just saying that mistake would never happened if we had defender around him who is actually decent defender and can win a simple header. If he is asked to do more job than any defender is expected to do, of course he is going to make mistakes, that's why I am highlighting those around him.
I'm not saying it was a successful header or anything, but even if you've got a taller centre back than Blind to win the header, then it's still probably going to a Newcastle attacker. Smalling's still caught mildly out of position for that one, and I don't see what having a better defender beside him had to do with it. Same with the penalty, unless Blind temporarily possessed him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I actually thought this was probably the worst bit of defending from Smalling last night:

It's as if he doesn't trust Young to be able to defend against Sissoko himself, so instead of backing him up, tries to read what Sissoko will do and intercept himself - when really he should leave it to Young and be behind him if Sissoko rounds him.

Goes back to the idea that Smalling is either a)trying too hard to do everything himself or b) doesn't trust the defenders around him to do a job because they're not natural defenders.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I'm not saying it was a successful header or anything, but even if you've got a taller centre back than Blind to win the header, then it's still probably going to a Newcastle attacker. Smalling's still caught mildly out of position for that one, and I don't see what having a better defender beside him had to do with it. Same with the penalty, unless Blind temporarily possessed him.
Well I doubt that, we are not talking about defending against Crouch here, and even if it's Crouch, the defender still has to do his best to at least disrupt him from bringing down the ball perfectly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well I doubt that, we are not talking about defending against Crouch here, and even if it's Crouch, the defender still has to do his best to at least disrupt him from bringing down the ball perfectly.
The height of the player has nothing to do with it. The reason the attacker had any space whatsoever was because Smalling was out of position. That's why Fellaini came back, and why he had to bother making the header at all. Again, an excusable mistake for a well worked goal, but I'm not sure what having a better defender has to do with it.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
The height of the player has nothing to do with it. The reason the attacker had any space whatsoever was because Smalling was out of position. That's why Fellaini came back, and why he had to bother making the header at all. Again, an excusable mistake for a well worked goal, but I'm not sure what having a better defender has to do with it.
Blind was on Mitrovic in that situation, Smalling isn't supposed to mark Mitrovic wherever he goes because Mitrovic was on Blind's left side in that situation. How exactly is Smalling supposed to defend left side of the defence too?

Smalling should have just kept his space, he shouldn't be coming out for Wijnaldum, that was his mistake, Fellaini coming to help Blind winning the header against Mitrovic has nothing to do with Smalling. The problem is that we are expecting our tall players to babysit Blind and challenge for duels he alone should be challenging for alone.

NinjaFletch

Watch the highlight package I posted above. Thats not what happened. Fellaini drops back onto the Newcastle defender, as a result of that Smalling pushes up onto Wijnaldum in order for him not to be able to receive the ball under no pressure whatsoever. It's only after Fellaini drops deeper that Smalling pushes up.

surf

He should study some footage of Rio, who knew exactly what he could and could not get away with in terms of free kicks and cards.

ZDwyr

He needs a rest, other than the period he was injured, he's played every minute of all the games he's been fit.

With his history of injuries, that just asking for problems.

We need to rotate more.
We do. But with Jones and Rojo constantly injured it isn't really possible.

ZDwyr

We need reinforcements.

We lost two CB's in the summer in Blackett and Evans (both are poor, i know), but we should have brought in at least one in. I simply dont trust Jones to stay fit.
I agree, we do. Maybe van Gaal thought McNair would have developed more than he has and didn't think cover was necessary.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He looks a bit at sea when he plays a high pressure, attacking side. Sometimes he's a bit off positionally as well.

Skills

Snitch
His passing has improved. Finds those crossfields with ease now. Defending has regressed.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Been off the boil for months, now. I really don't know whether he's actually good or not.
He is definitely good. He's progressed massively in the past year or so as a defender, and is one of our key players. I do think that the last month or two has exposed him as being a wee bit overrated though: he looks a lot less composed and capable when he's actually put under pressure.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He is definitely good. He's progressed massively in the past year or so as a defender, and is one of our key players. I do think that the last month or two has exposed him as being a wee bit overrated though: he looks a lot less composed and capable when he's actually put under pressure.
Thing is, his progression has been from garbage to good. Agree with your post, he still has to improve to be considered a top defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.