Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Needs to stop grabbing at players. He's given away a penalty this season doing it and now he's got sent off. You'd think he'd have learnt his lesson.

He will do the same for England and get sent off,and the press will vilify him. They love a phantomine villain afterall.

Overall decent season. But a very disappointing end.
He almost cost us the cup,twice. In the semi and final.

Red_toad

Needs to stop grabbing at players. He's given away a penalty this season doing it and now he's got sent off. You'd think he'd have learnt his lesson.

He will do the same for England and get sent off,and the press will vilify him. They love a phantomine villain afterall.

Overall decent season. But a very disappointing end.
He almost cost us the cup,twice. In the semi and final.
Had he not given the foul away & hooked the foot, we'd most likely have lost the FA cup. Stupid decision at the time, but it did actually work for the team. Had a very mixed game, could possibly be carrying an injury, not seen him turned & out paced so often in a game for a long time.

Ixion

Watching the highlights just now he absolutely did not need to make that challenge, anyone who thinks Palace were probably scoring if he didn't bring him down needs to watch it again.

It doesn't matter now of course, he's had an excellent season but he needs to cut out moments like that.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Harsh comments.

Had a ropey close to the season but then he's not had a rest. Must have played every minute of every game.

And bailed out arses out on many an occasion.

New CB signing is imperative even if we did decide to stick with Smalling-Blind partnership.

Rossa

Stupid sending off, but a 4.7 rating overall is just ridiculous. He won every header before that and every physical battle. I was surprised that he didn't win the foot race against Wickham even though he started a little behind him. He has looked a bit leggy at times lately, as if he is a little tired.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Had a good season overall. He's improved from 2 years ago and that's all we can ask for I suppose. Our best defender.

We still need better though if our expectations are to be a force in Europe. He still has quite a few flaws in game.

Dobbs

Stupid sending off, but a 4.7 rating overall is just ridiculous. He won every header before that and every physical battle. I was surprised that he didn't win the foot race against Wickham even though he started a little behind him. He has looked a bit leggy at times lately, as if he is a little tired.
Agree with that. It's actually pretty easy to see if Smalling is tired, his running style becomes a bit desperate.

Whilst he'll never be a world class defender he's still good enough to win titles with. Just needs a quality partner who can share the physical burden.

Realist08

One of our best players over the course of the whole season. Has made huge improvements the last two years and was our best defender this year hands down. Has a tendancy for silly sending offs though, that second yellow yesterday was infuriating. He cuts that stupid stuff out and he'll be fine.

Treble

Knackered. That's all. The same with Blind. They played too many games and weren't rotated. Daft from LVG.

Trizy

Brainless but some of the reactions on here are way over board. I hated him as much as the next United fan for those few minutes but people seem to have forgotten how much he bossed this season for us based on one red card.

He's a mistake or two always in him, he's no Rio but he's a damn good defender.

buckooo1978

Not sure you can put it down to fatigue.... he made the exact same mistake when he was booked in the first half

Just needs to defend smarter

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Could / should have been sent of against City too (again). It's hard seeing him survive for 90 minutes against top teams in Europe. Thankfully for him we won't face such opposition next season.
Ppl like Keane or Ramos get / got many cards but they also successfully finished many top European / international games. Can't say the same about Smalling. He is not of the same quality, still needs to work and improve a lot.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't know if he is the most overrated in the history of the caf but he sure is. He has had as much many good months as bad/average this season.
Indeed. Only Welbeck comes close.

Rafael, Kagawa and Herrera were overrated too (one of the culprits being myself), but the Caf was always divided there. On Smalling case, an entire forum went into an unprecedented delusion which would have made RAWK proud.

Treble

Not sure you can put it down to fatigue.... he made the exact same mistake when he was booked in the first half

Just needs to defend smarter
Maybe you are right. I expressed some doubts about his decision making at the start of the season and was heavily criticized for it. Thought he did pretty well in the first half of the season. Then tiredness kicked in. It may be a mental thing too and interfere with decision making. His mind wasn't fresh enough from too much football, IMO. Or maybe his decison making just isn't great, dunno about that.

Geordopolous

Geez some of these comments are pathetic. He's been fantastic for most of the season. You lot can't be pleased

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Geez some of these comments are pathetic. He's been fantastic for most of the season. You lot can't be pleased
Too right. Especially as we've just won the FA Cup. Who gives a shit about the finer details of individual performances right now? Joyless whingers.

And as soon as any player is recognised as being a good player, they seem to be immediately swept into the "overrated" category. Because god forbid United could actually have a good player besides De Gea in the squad. One of few players who stepped up this season. He makes errors. Name a defender who doesn't? There isn't one. "Unprecedented delusion"? What a lot of shite.

buckooo1978

Maybe you are right. I expressed some doubts about his decision making at the start of the season and was heavily criticized for it. Thought he did pretty well in the first half of the season. Then tiredness kicked in. It may be a mental thing too and interfere with decision making. His mind wasn't fresh enough from too much football, IMO. Or maybe his decison making just isn't great, dunno about that.
He has really had a mixed season

Really impressive until round about December then went through a long period where he didnt look calm or assured in his defending

Think Mourinho has always had strong defensive units so maybe a strong dominant partner is what Smalling needs

psychdelicblues

Too right. Especially as we've just won the FA Cup. Who gives a shit about the finer details of individual performances right now? Joyless whingers.

And as soon as any player is recognised as being a good player, they seem to be immediately swept into the "overrated" category. Because god forbid United could actually have a good player besides De Gea in the squad. One of few players who stepped up this season. He makes errors. Name a defender who doesn't? There isn't one. "Unprecedented delusion"? What a lot of shite.
One of the most laziest overused word in this place, regardless of context.

Revan

Assumptionman

He has been average since December, and actually shit for the last two months. It isn't that after this mistake, I went from he's amazing, to he's good but not great.

He good do no wrong on eyes of many. He leaves his position and we concede a goal in the progress, 'it is not his fault cause he is surrounded by shit'. He leaves his position to go at the middle of the pitch to win a header which was completely un-risky and in the process drops both himself and Blind on their arses, conceding a goal 'it is not problem cause Blind cannot win a header'. He can't make a pass to save his life 'meh, defenders are there just to defend'. He has to cover a single player (Carroll) from the corner when he loses the header and we concede 'again it is someone's else fault'. He makes a complete stupid penalty 'every player does the same', etc etc. There were actually comments in this thread that he had Lukaku on his pocket, when Blind was dealing for the entire match with Lukaku.

The list of the excuses for him now is longer than that of Welbeck who apparently played somewhere between a defensive right back and a keeper.

For what is worth, I think that Smalling is a good player. I wasn't deluded enough to proclaim him as the best in the league after 2 good matches, and neither can say that he had a fantastic season when he was average for more than half of it. He had a decent season, the best he has ever had, when on 3-4 months he might have been the best performing CB in the league, and on the other months he was hit and miss, with the majority of time during those months outshined by Blind who is nothing special. He has been a top 3 - top 5 player for us this season (below De Gea and Martial, around the same level as Blind and probably Rashford). I think that both our CBs are good but not great, and ideally they should have been bench warmers, or at least partnered by someone who is much better than them. Signing a CB should be a priority this summer, and then depending on his strengths and weaknesses, one of Smalling/Blind can hopefully complement it (i.e if he is small like Marquinhos, then Smalling would be better, if he is shit at passing but he's strong and tall, then probably Blind would be better).

Geordopolous

Spot on mate. I reckon some of these people just need a boxing bag instead of a laptop when they are all emotional about something. If anything he is underrated and I say that because I thought he should be in the pfa team of the year

Geordopolous

He has been average since December, and actually shit for the last two months. It isn't that after this mistake, I went from he's amazing, to he's good but not great.

He good do no wrong on eyes of many. He leaves his position and we concede a goal in the progress, 'it is not his fault cause he is surrounded by shit'. He leaves his position to go at the middle of the pitch to win a header which was completely un-risky and in the process drops both himself and Blind on their arses, conceding a goal 'it is not problem cause Blind cannot win a header'. He can't make a pass to save his life 'meh, defenders are there just to defend'. He has to cover a single player (Carroll) from the corner when he loses the header and we concede 'again it is someone's else fault'. He makes a complete stupid penalty 'every player does the same', etc etc. There were actually comments in this thread that he had Lukaku on his pocket, when Blind was dealing for the entire match with Lukaku.

The list of the excuses for him now is longer than that of Welbeck who apparently played somewhere between a defensive right back and a keeper.

For what is worth, I think that Smalling is a good player. I wasn't deluded enough to proclaim him as the best in the league after 2 good matches, and neither can say that he had a fantastic season when he was average for more than half of it. He had a decent season, the best he has ever had, when on 3-4 months he might have been the best performing CB in the league, and on the other months he was hit and miss, with the majority of time during those months outshined by Blind who is nothing special. He has been a top 3 - top 5 player for us this season (below De Gea and Martial, around the same level as Blind and probably Rashford). I think that both our CBs are good but not great, and ideally they should have been bench warmers, or at least partnered by someone who is much better than them. Signing a CB should be a priority this summer, and then depending on his strengths and weaknesses, one of Smalling/Blind can hopefully complement it (i.e if he is small like Marquinhos, then Smalling would be better, if he is shit at passing but he's strong and tall, then probably Blind would be better).
How can you say he was average for more than half of it? It's just not true. Could have used a rest in a couple matches but he's form has remained good. We got the second tightest defence and he's a big reason for it

Spock

I give Smalling an 8 for the season. There are points to nitpick but on the whole he developed into an outstanding CB this season.

Revan

Assumptionman
How can you say he was average for more than half of it? It's just not true. Could have used a rest in a couple matches but he's form has remained good. We got the second tightest defense and he's a big reason for it
Because he has been from wank to average (with some exceptions) since December, and has actually been very poor on some of the most important matches (Wolfsburg, Newcastle, West Ham, Everton, yesterday, should have been send off a couple of times against City etc). We have the second tightest defense because we are one of the most defensive teams in the league (highest possession, highest backward passes but only 17th highest number of passes on the final third) in addition to having the best GK in the world, not because of Smalling's or Blind's heroics.

Rossa

If it is so that he runs around the pitch taking headers without instructions to do so, LVG should take the blame for not telling him otherwise during the course of a season. If he does it because of management it says something about the other players surrounding him. Smalling is, besides Fellaini, our only dominant player in the air. Blind is hopeless most of the time; therefore, Smalling has to run around A LOT covering for Blind, both in terms of pace and heading ability. Smalling, on the other hand, tries to give the ball to Blind so that he can play it forward. To me, that looks like a game plan. Also, with about a 90% completed pass in most matches, he's not quite as shit at passing as you would make out.

I also think a minority, you included, would argue that Blind has performed better than Smalling in more than a couple of matches. There is so much lacking in Blind's game as a centre back. Smalling has had his ups and downs, but he has had a very good season.

As for those saying he didn't look fatigued; he looked fatigued from the get go yesterday. His run against Wickham showed that his legs were tired - compare that run to the one where he looked at least as fast as Vardy, both in the 87th minute or so. Smalling isn't used to playing as many games per season. Next season, I'm convinced he will have an even better second half as his body will be more used to it. Also, he should be allowed more rest from time to time.

Concerning being a liability, Smalling has had two red cards in his United career (14 yellow not counting yesterday). Him perhaps should have had a red card against City is really a silly argument as that can be labelled at any player at any team in any league - many players should have been sent off that never happened, and many have been sent off that never should have been. The fact that Rio only ever received one red card and 20 yellow cards in his career with 312 league appearanced should not be a yardstick to beat Smalling with - it is unreal. Nemanja Vidic had 6 red cards and 43 yellows in 211 appearances.

Rossa

Because he has been from wank to average (with some exceptions) since December, and has actually been very poor on some of the most important matches (Wolfsburg, Newcastle, West Ham, Everton, yesterday, should have been send off a couple of times against City etc). We have the second tightest defense because we are one of the most defensive teams in the league (highest possession, highest backward passes but only 17th highest number of passes on the final third) in addition to having the best GK in the world, not because of Smalling's or Blind's heroics.
You clearly have an agenda, so maybe it's not worth debating with you at all. Voted as the players' player of the season, but he was "actually... very poor on some of the most important matches". Your arguments are so flawed; what does him having anything to do with only 17th highest number of passes on the final third have anything to do with him? He certainly runs around enough as it is covering for fullbacks and Blind.

Rossa

Vardy:
‘On a personal level, Chris Smalling [has been my toughest test],’ said Vardy.

‘He’s always tight and always around you to stop you from doing your bit on the ball or getting turned.

‘It makes it very difficult for you to bring your team-mates into the game as well.’

That's exactly how I see him as well - his defending is so tenacious, and even if you manage to steal a yard, he has so much pace and power that very few are able to get away from him, including a player like Vardy.

Acole9

Outstanding
Very foolish of him to get sent off at that point of the game. He could've cost us the match.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He got beaten for pace and strength by Wickham. Zaha also showed him a clean pair of heels in the first few mins of E.T.

LVG's negative tactics really helped him this season. Yes he had a good season but he wasn't great. Technically he isn't good enough for a team that has aspirations to win the biggest honours. We need a CB of the ilk of Godin to marshall our defence and I think Mourinho will bring someone in.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Hope he gets demoted to bench duty by Mourinho. Would be delighted with that. He has nothing on our past great defenders, yet he seems to be seen on here as a mainstay cb who will form one part of our new twin tower defence for the foreseeable future.

The regression is real.

Revan

Assumptionman
He got beaten for pace and strength by Wickham. Zaha also showed him a clean pair of heels in the first few mins of E.T.

LVG's negative tactics really helped him this season. Yes he had a good season but he wasn't great. Technically he isn't good enough for a team that has aspirations to win the biggest honours. We need a CB of the ilk of Godin to marshall our defence and I think Mourinho will bring someone in.
Godins don't grow on tree. He's the best in the world IMO.

However, getting his partner would be awesome. He is essentially the new Vidic, and he would be able to play with both Smalling and Blind, and showing them how the game is played.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Godins don't grow on tree. He's the best in the world IMO.

However, getting his partner would be awesome. He is essentially the new Vidic, and he would be able to play with both Smalling and Blind, and showing them how the game is played.
You have to go and put the money down for players of that ilk, instead of saying there's not another Rio or Vidic out there.

Geordopolous

What's your point on getting beaten for speed? Most strikers/wingers should be faster than a centre back. He got players player of the year meaning he not only had a great season but he was a real leader out there too. Happy to have him as a future captain

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What's your point on getting beaten for speed? Most strikers/wingers should be faster than a centre back. He got players player of the year meaning he not only had a great season but he was a real leader out there too. Happy to have him as a future captain
My point is that if you're positionally and technically as suspect as Smalling then you've got to have recovery pace to compensate.

Rossa

My point is that if you're positionally and technically as suspect as Smalling then you've got to have recovery pace to compensate.
He is normally very fast though. At least matched Vardy for pace and beaten Welbeck. His legs just looked heavy yesterday. Shaw said he was the fastest player in the team, nothing wrong with his pace or strength.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why does not being as good as Rio or Vidic make you not good enough? They're quite possibly the two best defenders United has ever had...Smalling is easily better and more consistent than the likes of Brown and Silvestre who both had spells as first choice centre backs for us not so many years ago. I'd be surprised if many were arguing he's the best centre half in the world or anything but he's clearly very good. Would love one of Villarreal's CBs to come in and partner him.

Status
Not open for further replies.