Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammondo

So you blame a CENTERBACK of not able to ping passes, because midfield and attack have problem scoring goal, or create enough meaningful chances. Make sense.
He can be blamed for anything according to some.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
So you blame a CENTERBACK of not able to ping passes, because midfield and attack have problem scoring goal. Make sense.
I blame a centre back for requiring a midfielder for having to drop in to play simple passes forward.

Don’t get me wrong against a top team away from home Smalling can do a job but against dross or teams that sit deep themselves he has no place in the team.

Ekeke

We didn’t need that type of defender today, Chelsea offered zero threat as they basically said, screw you jose you’re going to have to attack us, in this instance we need to be able to add numbers to an attacker, which includes the defenders, Smalling and jones tbf can’t do this.

Should Smalling have started? Probably because they’re all as bad as one another. Don’t get me started on Lindelof, if is going to Wolves that above his pay grade!
If we didnt need that type of defender why did Smalling have to make several clean tackles on Hazard inside our own box?

All 3 United

If we didnt need that type of defender why did Smalling have to make several clean tackles on Hazard inside our own box?
All I am asking for is a defender that can tackle and play football, is that too much as a Man Utd fan?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I blame a centre back for requiring a midfielder for having to drop in to play simple passes forward.

Don’t get me wrong against a top team away from home Smalling can do a job but against dross or teams that sit deep themselves he has no place in the team.
Of course he has. Someone has to handle Hazard and Giroud.

Vidic wouldn't be able to help the team scoring goal by pinging passes. By your logic, he has no business in this team then?

Ekeke

Then why arent we playing Blind who did play CB for us, and did a really good job playing the ball out of the defence and an okay job defensively, but as soon as Mourinho came in barely got a game at CB?

We have a player very comfortable playing the ball out of the backline. He was playing before the new manager came in.

Loublaze

ATLien

Come on man you don't believe this crap

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Then why arent we playing Blind who did play CB for us, and did a really good job playing the ball out of the defence and an okay job defensively, but as soon as Mourinho came in barely got a game at CB?

We have a player very comfortable playing the ball out of the backline. He was playing before the new manager came in.
Agree, but its Jose and Blind is short and slow...

Ekeke

All I am asking for is a defender that can tackle and play football, is that too much as a Man Utd fan?
Its too little.

David Luiz can tackle and play football, but he cant read the game, make a good choice when to intercept, mark, and make few individual mistakes like a solid CB like Smalling.

Bobski

Come on man you don't believe this crap
I remember Rio and Vidic spending most of their career at Utd laying off 5-10 yards to Scholes and Carrick. Didn't stop the team from playing brilliant football.

All 3 United

Blind should be starting way ahead of Smalling or Jones there is no question about that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I remember Rio and Vidic spending most of their career at Utd laying off 5-10 yards to Scholes and Carrick. Didn't stop the team from playing brilliant football.
Yeah. I don't recall Vidic bringing the ball, and help attacking smaller teams either.

Did Bruce like to play one-two football with Mark Hughes and Robbo when United against parking bus teams?

Ekeke

So true. Vidic wasn't a bad passer by any means but he barely ever tried anything other than a short pass to a close midfielder or the defender next to him.

Rio came in and was talked about as a great ball playing CB. He tried to take the ball forward and lost the ball when he was being adventurous, a few times after being punished he played a much more reserved game. Still good on the ball but not rampaging forward.

Loublaze

ATLien
It certainly didn't. Just goes to show there's not much to criticize Smalling about especially on a day when he was arguably MOTM

Ekeke

Blind should be starting way ahead of Smalling or Jones there is no question about that.
Ok then I understand your opinion I guess. I disagree with it, but I can see that you value passing more than defending which is more the Barcelona mentality.

All 3 United

Rio could bring the ball out of defence majestically, yes when scholes or Carrick was on for simple ball he would play it. As for Vidic he wasn’t as good as Rio but compared to Smalling he looked like De Boer!

Loublaze

ATLien
So true. Vidic wasn't a bad passer by any means but he barely ever tried anything other than a short pass to a close midfielder or the defender next to him.

Rio came in and was talked about as a great ball playing CB. He tried to take the ball forward and lost the ball when he was being adventurous, a few times after being punished he played a much more reserved game. Still good on the ball but not rampaging forward.
I remember Vidic also had a thing for playing long (hoof) balls that seldom found a teammate

Ekeke

Rio could bring the ball out of defence majestically, yes when scholes or Carrick was on for simple ball he would play it. As for Vidic he wasn’t as good as Rio but compared to Smalling he looked like De Boer!
He really didnt. He was a little bit better on the ball. Not much in it. But Smalling looks less graceful because he's so tall with that similarish ability on the ball.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Not sure he rates him higher, but he's said he wants his defenders to be able to play with the ball. I doubt Jones will start, by the looks of things it could be Walker (yes, at RCB) Maguire and Stones.
Can anyone tell me how Jones is any better on the ball than Smalling . Both of them just pass to the nearest man. But Smalling can actually defend!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Some very good one on one defending today.
Just a proper defender, ala Vidic. Just imagine if people start questioning Vidic because he couldn't help midfield and attack against parking the bus team.
As silly as it sounds, he might be, if he plays for this current team.

cyberman

I think Rios ball playing is vastly overrated.
He could use his pace, positioning and timing to perfection but he never brought the ball out.
He kept playing the chipped forward pass time and time again. He was Sanchez on steroids.

Ashley R1+O

What an absolute beast of a performance. Felt proper disappointed especially for him. He's carried this defense for three seasons and he's getting barely any reward for it. Hopefully we fix those fullbacks next season, Bailly and Lindelof have another year under their belt and can slot in with him next year and take this team forward. He deserves it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Him not going to the World Cup is actually ridiculous.
He made Southgate's decision looked very silly in every games he played. It's like a slap in the face. Especially when the one Southgate's taking in had worser game. Slap! Slap! Kappow!

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
What an absolute beast of a performance. Felt proper disappointed especially for him. He's carried this defense for three seasons and he's getting barely any reward for it. Hopefully we fix those fullbacks next season, Bailly and Lindelof have another year under their belt and can slot in with him next year and take this team forward. He deserves it.
Actually feel for him too. He's opposite fancy and people like fancy players, I wonder how would Vidic look like in a ball playing CB era..

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's our best for purely defending. Unfortunately cannot carry the ball. He'd be ideal playing with a ball playing defender or in a 3 with someone like Blind to carry the ball out of defensive areas.

Pacificgi

Hes been unfairly put in the same bracket as Jones in the past but hes shown this season hes an excellent defender.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Excellent performance once again from Smalling. Gareth Southgate is a moron and deserves the pastings Belgium and Colombia, or failing that, Germany will mete out to him.

All 3 United

Just a proper defender, ala Vidic. Just imagine if people start questioning Vidic because he couldn't help midfield and attack against parking the bus team.
As silly as it sounds, he might be, if he plays for this current team.
Please let’s not compare Vidic in any shape or form to Smalling.

All this talk about a quality performance, I am yet to see a rating by any of the ex pro’s above 5.

Don’t get me wrong he was actually one of the better players yesterday but that doesn’t say a lot.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Excellent today, particularly later on in the game when he was in several 1v1s. Ridiculous to throw any blame his way.

Our problem is a mentality thing, which is purely Jose. Everything comes from him. For instance, we can easily throw loads of blame towards Valencia and Young because their delivery into the box was, once again, abysmal. However, I don't envy them their task when, more often than not, there was only 1 target in the box

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Please let’s not compare Vidic in any shape or form to Smalling.

All this talk about a quality performance, I am yet to see a rating by any of the ex pro’s above 5.

Don’t get me wrong he was actually one of the better players yesterday but that doesn’t say a lot.
No one is saying Smalling is as good as Vidic, so let's not try to derail someone's argument by suggesting they're doing something they aren't.

What the point is, is that Vidic and Rio simply used to lay the ball off for a midfield player so the accusation we struggle to score because all Smalling can do is lay the ball off to a midfielder is pretty ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.