Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was great, though the minor nitpick would be losing a couple of headers to Deeney towards the end, but Deeney is going to win his fair share of headers against anyone. The thing with Chris is, thanks to his build, even when he loses a header he puts enough pressure on the attacker that they don't get a 'clear' chance - and when you have de Gea in net it's so unlikely to lead to a goal.

This is the reason why Gareth Southgate may end up looking a bit of a fool. It's all well and good wanting to try three at the back with ball-playing centre halves, but you still want a 'proper defender' in there IMO. We've just shown that you can have two CB's who are better on the ball and one guy who is there purely to defend and win most aerial duels.

When Smalling gets a run in the side and into form, I think he is our best CB defensively. We were a bit unlucky to concede two goals, I don't think any of our defenders deserved that last night, but it happens.
I agree. If Southgate goes with a back 3, there is space for Smalling, without question. There are better ball players than him, but there isn't really anyone better when the ball is in the air, or when the ball goes in behind. Smalling's recovery pace is excellent.

He's better than Cahill at all aspects of defending. Cahill is probably a little better on the ball, but it's really not by very much.

MadMike

I agree. If Southgate goes with a back 3, there is space for Smalling, without question. There are better ball players than him, but there isn't really anyone better when the ball is in the air, or when the ball goes in behind. Smalling's recovery pace is excellent.

He's better than Cahill at all aspects of defending. Cahill is probably a little better on the ball, but it's really not by very much.
I think Smalling, Stones & Maguire would make a very good back 3 for England. Stones and Maguire are very good with ball at feet, while Smalling can stay back and cover. I do rate Cahill but like you, just not as highly as Smalling when it comes to actual defending. I'd have Dier, Jones and Cahill as back ups personally.

In any case, England's problem is not the back line. Whoever they pick, it's a very decent defence. What England lack is a midfield capable of playing at pace, showing some adventure and supplying the attack with ammunition. Rashford, Kane, Sterling is as good a forward line as any but if the midfield is only passing sideways and backwards at a snails pace, then we can expect no more than a bunch of 0-0s and early disqualification.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think Smalling, Stones & Maguire would make a very good back 3 for England. Stones and Maguire are very good with ball at feet, while Smalling can stay back and cover. I do rate Cahill but like you, just not as highly as Smalling when it comes to actual defending. I'd have Dier, Jones and Cahill as back ups personally.

In any case, England's problem is not the back line. Whoever they pick, it's a very decent defence. What England lack is a midfield capable of playing at pace, showing some adventure and supplying the attack with ammunition. Rashford, Kane, Sterling is as good a forward line as any but if the midfield is only passing sideways and backwards at a snails pace, then we can expect no more than a bunch of 0-0s and early disqualification.
I do think Cahill is a decent defender, but to Southgate he appears to be a certain starter and possibly even captaincy material, but Smalling is a massive doubt to even go, which is crazy. There are decent options at the back though, as you say. Joe Gomez is a good shout outside of the already mentioned 6, if he can get some consistency in the 2nd half of the season.

I agree with the midfield. Especially when Henderson appears to be the primary playmaker from deep. It's been a problem position for England for a long time, and it's madness that Carrick has continually been snubbed when him at his prime was exactly what England needed. There'll be a lot of pressure on Alli to deliver in Russia, as he's the only midfielder capable of being a threat with the ball.

criticalanalysis

Yeah look at where ball playing defender got Brazil last world cup. What matters at this level is being able to defend against some of the best attackers in the world first and foremost as a centerback.
Jesuit Christ, what's with the fixation on needing ball playing centre-backs. We've got arguably one of, if not the best midfielders in the world, and everyone wants poor old Mike to have more of the ball. Play the square pass everytime bud, let the midfielders do what they're paid to do.
I try to say this but it always falls on deaf ears. Most ball playing defenders are awful defensively its why (earlier on) players like Luiz needed Silva to cover or shore up the defence.
I have no question about Smalling's ability when defending but criticism of his ball playing ability is absolutely justified.

Every time Smalling plays a square pass, this means the ball doesn't go to a midfielder and that midfielder has to then go drop 5-10 yards to search for that ball from the full backs. By that time the opposition team has probably shifted across and condensed the pitch. Every time a pass is played squared, hoofed up or just passed back to De Gea that's a opportunity lost for our midfielders to get a hold of it. It's why even though we're scoring goals, there's not a real organisation to our build up play. It's a lot of individual brilliance/instances. Just imagine what Pogba or Matic could do if they regularly receive the ball around the half way line than 10-15 yards in their own half?

Obviously that is just one exaggeration of a couple of scenarios but it's very real. His passing ability is 'fine' against 80% of the teams but then most of our defenders can be (because we're usually dominant in possession, physically and technically so defending is minimised compared to other teams) but it's the other 20%.

This is self reflection and criticism of my own view here but it's a chicken and egg situation because imo I feel like we don't have to be as defensive as we do if we had defenders more comfortable in possession. It was a tough away win at Watford period but we got pegged back and surrended possession against them ffs with three at the back. The Basel game is another example.

I have no problem with the way we win these games because we're winning period but I just don't see this as sustainable at the top level.

Although having said, Mourinho has a track record that proves otherwise. Argh, it's conflicting.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I have no question about Smalling's ability when defending but criticism of his ball playing ability is absolutely justified.

Every time Smalling plays a square pass, this means the ball doesn't go to a midfielder and that midfielder has to then go drop 5-10 yards to search for that ball from the full backs. By that time the opposition team has probably shifted across and condensed the pitch. Every time a pass is played squared, hoofed up or just passed back to De Gea that's a opportunity lost for our midfielders to get a hold of it. It's why even though we're scoring goals, there's not a real organisation to our build up play. It's a lot of individual brilliance/instances. Just imagine what Pogba or Matic could do if they regularly receive the ball around the half way line than 10-15 yards in their own half?

Obviously that is just one exaggeration of a couple of scenarios but it's very real. His passing ability is 'fine' against 80% of the teams but then most of our defenders can be (because we're usually dominant in possession, physically and technically so defending is minimised compared to other teams) but it's the other 20%.

This is self reflection and criticism of my own view here but it's a chicken and egg situation because imo I feel like we don't have to be as defensive as we do if we had defenders more comfortable in possession. It was a tough away win at Watford period but we got pegged back and surrended possession against them ffs with three at the back. The Basel game is another example.

I have no problem with the way we win these games because we're winning period but I just don't see this as sustainable at the top level.

Although having said, Mourinho has a track record that proves otherwise. Argh, it's conflicting.
But it doesn't negatively impact our team at all, and people still criticise it.

Andersons Dietician

Another thing I like about Smalling, he’ll move out of the ball and look like he is away to play a killer pass or split the defence. He just has this way of striding out where you’re like it’s about to go down and he fakes like he is going to ping one then plays it off to the side. It’s like he is teasing all the doubters

criticalanalysis

But it doesn't negatively impact our team at all, and people still criticise it.
That's debatable. It's a lost opportunity to play the forward ball more and get it to our attacking players.

It's a 'small' criticism of Smalling because 80% of his ability is good for us, it's the other 20%, which is the difference at the top.

Hammondo

That's debatable. It's a lost opportunity to play the forward ball more and get it to our attacking players.

It's a 'small' criticism of Smalling because 80% of his ability is good for us, it's the other 20%, which is the difference at the top.
You would struggle to find many cb's better than him in the PL.

tomaldinho1

I do think Cahill is a decent defender, but to Southgate he appears to be a certain starter and possibly even captaincy material, but Smalling is a massive doubt to even go, which is crazy. There are decent options at the back though, as you say. Joe Gomez is a good shout outside of the already mentioned 6, if he can get some consistency in the 2nd half of the season.

I agree with the midfield. Especially when Henderson appears to be the primary playmaker from deep. It's been a problem position for England for a long time, and it's madness that Carrick has continually been snubbed when him at his prime was exactly what England needed. There'll be a lot of pressure on Alli to deliver in Russia, as he's the only midfielder capable of being a threat with the ball.
The crazy thing is England have had Scholes and Carrick and in both cases not used them in their best positions (or at all) and yet say they want to play this style of football.

Southgate comes from an old school English football background, I'm not saying people can't change but I'd be surprised if he can make this England team work in the way he's trying to. I still expect to see us beat Tunisia and Panama with long balls and slow build up play - Belgium will rip us apart.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘I know he defends well, and has done for years, but I can’t help but feel nervous every game, due to his constant mistakes that always cost us’ - apparently.

Bobski

I am not sure any of the defenders get a pass today. They all struggled against at times some excellent attacking play. Rojo particularly struggled, hopefully just rusty rather than reverting to the norm.

Mustafi and Koscielny are excellent passers but they gave away goals today with basic passing mistakes. For as much as his ball playing is scrutinized I do not recall Smalling making that type of critical error on the ball.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't see how any of our centre backs could come away from that game pleased with their contribution. Arsenal had more chances than they should have and our defending played a part in that.

Ekeke

I don't see how any of our centre backs could come away from that game pleased with their contribution. Arsenal had more chances than they should have and our defending played a part in that.
Defending is a team wide responsibility. Yes, Arsenal had way too many attempts and we needed the best keeper in the world to bail us out. But that doesnt mean that some of our defenders arent doing plenty of work. Fact is we had so little of the ball and Arsenal got so many players into the box that our central midfielders were making clearances too. Rojo is the one who made a couple of individual mistakes, but other than that he also made 14 clearances which is a lot. Matic made 10 and Ander made 2 after coming on as well.

Defensively we were shaky. Matic did a bunch of good stuff, but still we were broken on many times.

Devil may care

Another strong outing from Smalling, he's liking the back 3 set-up.

Good game today. Some slap-stick defending from us as a team but don’t think any individual deserves grief and Smalling made fewer errors than most.
In fairness our back 3 game under a lot of consistent pressure due to how we kept giving the ball away in the second half, things always look a bit 6's and 7's when that happens.

Djemba-Djemba

Good game today. Some slap-stick defending from us as a team but don’t think any individual deserves grief and Smalling made fewer errors than most.
All I can think of is the possible penalty shout at the end but aside from that he was very solid.

He's quietly had an excellent season to be fair.

MadMike

I don't see how anyone would see an away game against a top 6 side where we had only 25% of the ball, yet conceded only one and won the game... and manage to be displeased with the defence. Genuinely, truly amazes me.

I'm not really sure what the expectation even is. That a team sitting so deep and with so little of the ball concedes no chances? That 3 CBs will prevent any chances being created against a team attacking with 5-6 forwards over 90 minutes and with numerical advantage in the last 20?

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't see how anyone would see an away game against a top 6 side where we had only 25% of the ball, yet conceded only one and won the game... and manage to be displeased with the defence. Genuinely, truly amazes me.

I'm not really sure what the expectation even is. That a team sitting so deep and with so little of the ball concedes no chances? That 3 CBs will prevent any chances being created against a team attacking with 5-6 forwards over 90 minutes and with numerical advantage in the last 20?
Exactly this.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I don't agree that we can look at the number of goals conceded to judge how good the defense was.

When we went two up, I expected us to snuff the game. Limit them to long shots, which De Gea would save all day, and generally frustrate them and the crowd. That didn't happen. We conceded two or three great chances, and at times looked rattled with our misclearances.

I'd call that a 6/10 defensive performance at best.

hn4manunited

Another solid game for Smalling!

As to Southgate, I think his experience as a central defender will prove to be his downfall as the England manager. He will be too nitpicky about his backline causing too much ruckus. I foresee England having a bad world cup.

Shimo

It's becoming bit of a joke how people have bought into this narrative of Smalling's lack of being a phenomenal ball playing defender to him just being bad at his main job, defending. It was a tough game for the defenders seeing as we dropped that deep and we were inviting Arsenal to our 18. But, can't really blame Smalling for any mistakes or problems we had. Yet at least on ESPN site he was rated as a 5 and Rojo and Lindelof got better grades. On there the writer and Scott from RoM always seem to have a real problem with Smalling.

Many think Smalling is always 1 game away from a costly error but, Bailey, Rojo are a lot more rash and Lindelof is still acclimating. Jones can be really good but, his injuries make him completely unreliable. For now at least to me Smalling is our best defender and recently has not put a foot wrong and today did his job really well.

T A

The click between him and De Gea is not so good isnt it? I mean tons of times this duo couldnt decide which one to claim the ball, ended up some awkward moments leading to dangerous situations. It has been lasting for years, so definitely something is wrong with their eye and mind contact

MadMike

I don't agree that we can look at the number of goals conceded to judge how good the defense was.

When we went two up, I expected us to snuff the game. Limit them to long shots, which De Gea would save all day, and generally frustrate them and the crowd. That didn't happen. We conceded two or three great chances, and at times looked rattled with our misclearances.

I'd call that a 6/10 defensive performance at best.
Alright okay :lol:

Not limiting them to long shots only is obviously a failure of the defence, but has nothing to do with the fact that we couldn't hold on to ball or that the midfield had retreated to the edge of our box for >60 mins. I mean obviously Arsenal players are dummies, they'd get to the edge of the box and have no idea how to put a pass or cross in it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Another great game from him last night.

When are Bailly & Jones back? It feels like Smalling has played every game since the start of October, he needs some rest at some point.

The click between him and De Gea is not so good isnt it? I mean tons of times this duo couldnt decide which one to claim the ball, ended up some awkward moments leading to dangerous situations. It has been lasting for years, so definitely something is wrong with their eye and mind contact
I think DDG can be hesitant to come off his line and grab the ball in those situations, all of our CB’s usually resort to hoofing the ball out under pressure rather than heading back to him.

SuperiorXI

All I will say is it starts in the midfield. It didn't look like we had one. Every time Arsenal got the ball, they just passed up in to our area, there was no presence in the midfield from a defensive perspective. This meant the box was extremely congested and is the reason why we saw so much fumbling about and confusion in the box.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think DDG can be hesitant to come off his line and grab the ball in those situations, all of our CB’s usually resort to hoofing the ball out under pressure rather than heading back to him.
I agree. De Gea's only significant weakness IMO. Very much a six yard box goalkeeper, which is fine, but I don't think it's just an issue with Smalling and De Gea. He has all our CBs and even full backs screaming for him to come and claim a ball or clear forwards, and he doesn't. If De Gea all of a sudden became much more decisive in those situations, he'd become as close to perfect as a goalkeeper could be.

Hammondo

Arsenal dominated the midfield and often only matic from midfield was defending. The defenders cant do everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.