Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Arsenal dominated the midfield and often only matic from midfield was defending. The defenders cant do everything.
True to a certain extent, but we had 3 centre backs and none of them were that convincing. Also, I'm pretty sure Martial and Lingard did their fair share of defensive work. I think the former even tracked back and helped Young out a few times.

All I will say is it starts in the midfield. It didn't look like we had one. Every time Arsenal got the ball, they just passed up in to our area, there was no presence in the midfield from a defensive perspective. This meant the box was extremely congested and is the reason why we saw so much fumbling about and confusion in the box.
Yeah, I think we got outnumbered in midfield. Ozil, Ramsey, Alexis were all over us in midfield. Maybe if we played with 2 top centre backs who actually could defend to a high level, we'd have been able to have an extra midfielder.

Ekeke

True to a certain extent, but we had 3 centre backs and none of them were that convincing. Also, I'm pretty sure Martial and Lingard did their fair share of defensive work. I think the former even tracked back and helped Young out a few times.

Yeah, I think we got outnumbered in midfield. Ozil, Ramsey, Alexis were all over us in midfield. Maybe if we played with 2 top centre backs who actually could defend to a high level, we'd have been able to have an extra midfielder.
We went into the match with a gameplan and it worked.

We let them have a lot of the ball and get forward a lot, and then we break and hit them when they were weak. It worked out because we were so clinical in the first 10 minutes.

After that our setup wasnt right for the rest of the game. We didnt need to give them all of the ball and invite pressure, because we didnt need to score. But we carried on like that anyway.

The 3 CBs were fine, plenty of good teams have used that system. But we needed a more solid midfield system and perhaps less in attack. And of course then Pogba got sent off so we had even more problems there. Lingard was great on the break, but perhaps he could have been replaced or at least asked to just keep the ball after we were 2 up. With a 3 in CM we should have had more than the 24.9% of the ball that we had overall. I think Ander, or even Blind in there as the 3rd man would have helped us keep the ball, although it would have been less exciting than trying to break all the way up the pitch with Lingard.

Jaybomb

Usually I hate seeing his name on the team sheet but I have to admit he’s been good recently. Mourinho sets the defence up magnificently. That defensive display yesterday was outstanding. Everyone involved deserves a round of applause especially the main man De Gea.

Rossa

Usually I hate seeing his name on the team sheet but I have to admit he’s been good recently. Mourinho sets the defence up magnificently. That defensive display yesterday was outstanding. Everyone involved deserves a round of applause especially the main man De Gea.
Wow. Now I’ve seen it all. Great to hear Jaybomb!

Jaybomb

Wow. Now I’ve seen it all. Great to hear Jaybomb!
But how long will it last? That’s the question. I still feel him and Jones have brain farts in them and it looks like Lindelof has too. Which is worrying.

But I trust Mourinho to set them up perfectly. I’m thoroughly convinced he would have Lovren and Moreno as good defenders.

Loublaze

ATLien
But how long will it last? That’s the question. I still feel him and Jones have brain farts in them and it looks like Lindelof has too. Which is worrying.

But I trust Mourinho to set them up perfectly. I’m thoroughly convinced he would have Lovren and Moreno as good defenders.
Rojo has looked a liability his last two games, especially the Arsenal one (and he did give away a stupid penalty against Watford) and I don't think match fitness is an excuse. Not surprising you're blind to that but for once you've given Smalling some due props

Last edited:

Rossa

I don't agree that Smalling has been a liability. Instead I think he is our most reliable defender who makes the least mistakes. To me, the brain farts mentioned often come down to two incidents in all these years. All defenders make mistakes.

Lovren and Moreno? You took that a litt far, mate!

Jaybomb

I don't agree that Smalling has been a liability. Instead I think he is our most reliable defender who makes the least mistakes. To me, the brain farts mentioned often come down to two incidents in all these years. All defenders make mistakes.

Lovren and Moreno? You took that a litt far, mate!
Smalling is often poor at defending crosses. And he has an awful habit of shirt pulling and losing his marker at times. He’s also the least technically gifted defender we have so you could argue we’re always at a slight disadvantage whenever we play him due to his poor ball playing abilities and general awkwardness on the ball.

Lindelof’s weakness seems to be low crosses, oddly enough.

Rojo and Bailly are our strongest partnership on paper, in my book.

Hammondo

Smalling is often poor at defending crosses. And he has an awful habit of shirt pulling and losing his marker at times. He’s also the least technically gifted defender we have so you could argue we’re always at a slight disadvantage whenever we play him due to his poor ball playing abilities and general awkwardness on the ball.

Probably the best defender in the league against crosses.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The shirt pulling criticism is a bit overboard and tiresome as well. Its not like he's the only one doing it. Just against Watford, Prodl was managing to pull off tugging two of our players shirts at the same time on their attacking corners to give them free headers.

Bobski

Posters fearing Smalling making errors while at the same time having total faith in Rojo is a strange one for me. Rojo has his strengths but his propensity for Rafael style launching tackles does not exactly scream composed defender.

4-5 months of good play in his Utd career should not make Rojo an immediate choice. Bailly and Jones would be the pair for me, think they are our 2 best, in a 3 Rojo can play left side for balance but he still has a lot to prove.

Rossa

Really, Smalling not good at dealing with crosses?

Also, how often has Smalling’s poor passing or so called poor technique cost us goals like it did twice for Arsenal?

Jaybomb

Really, Smalling not good at dealing with crosses?

Also, how often has Smalling’s poor passing or so called poor technique cost us goals like it did twice for Arsenal?
He’s good at Ariel duels but not at crosses. He loses his marker too much for my liking.

Rossa

He’s good at Ariel duels but not at crosses. He loses his marker too much for my liking.
Simply have to disagree here. Smalling is vital for clearing crosses, and he's the only one who gets some power behind his clearances as well. Look at Matic and Rojo's clearances against Arsenal - shambolic. Jones isn't very good at that either. Smalling is our best no-nonsense defender, and I think few would agree that he deals poorly with crosses.

Rossa

The shirt pulling criticism is a bit overboard and tiresome as well. Its not like he's the only one doing it. Just against Watford, Prodl was managing to pull off tugging two of our players shirts at the same time on their attacking corners to give them free headers.
Agree completely - everyone does it, but for some reason, United supporters are criticising our own player for doing it. It's not like he is penalised a lot for it either.

flappyjay

Agree completely - everyone does it, but for some reason, United supporters are criticising our own player for doing it. It's not like he is penalised a lot for it either.
He been around for 7 seasons or more and his only given one pen away from tugging at people's shirts

SirAF

Ageist
This. What's the problem it he's not penalised for it?

Greck

Posters fearing Smalling making errors while at the same time having total faith in Rojo is a strange one for me. Rojo has his strengths but his propensity for Rafael style launching tackles does not exactly scream composed defender.

4-5 months of good play in his Utd career should not make Rojo an immediate choice. Bailly and Jones would be the pair for me, think they are our 2 best, in a 3 Rojo can play left side for balance but he still has a lot to prove.
Fully agree on the Rojo bit. Even on the double save I felt he got turned too easily rushing in. Defenders like this often get outsmarted by talented/crafty attackers.

Rossa

He been around for 7 seasons or more and his only given one pen away from tugging at people's shirts
There are many myths concerning Smalling. One is that he receives too many red cards, especially in big games. Stats will tell you that is simply untrue. As you said, he is punished once for shirt pulling. Perhaps those arguments can be laid to rest? Where exactly is he a liability?

devips

Do these Smalling critics watch any United match at all? I have strong doubt.

Man Utd 2:1 Moscow

Bobski

Is he starting to look as if he needs a rest? Started 17 in a row including tonight, injuries have forced it to an extent but a few signs of fatigue.

Rossa

OK game to have his worst performance of the season. Apart from sharing the blame for the first goal, he did fine, but I’ve seen him better. Thought he deserved a rest for today.

Devil may care

I thought he was pretty commanding tonight, yeah he should have pushed up on their goal but it was offside anyway.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Is it just me or was he super aggressive today?
I don't know if it's coincidence, but he normally is when he plays next to Blind. Maybe he feels like he has to be the calm one when playing with Bailly, Rojo or Jones, but when he's with Blind it's often like he just takes it upon himself to physically dominate everything.

His passing and distribution was much better than normal as well. Made a number of good passes forward to get us on the front foot.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Won the ball back a number of times when they cleared to keep the pressure on. Also fizzed a great pass into Pogba for Lukaku's goal. Good display.

The Smalling myths continue.

Lentwood

I thought Smalling was really good last night. Games like that make me wonder what could have been if he had Ferdinand’s composure on the ball and arrogance

rampo

Won the ball back a number of times when they cleared to keep the pressure on. Also fizzed a great pass into Pogba for Lukaku's goal. Good display.

The Smalling myths continue.
That was Smalling? Nice, that was a pretty good pass

I liked our goals yesterday. Pass, pass, goal, boom

Ashley R1+O

Superb, our best in form CB at the moment. Form like this should take him to the World Cup.

MadMike

He looked good I thought. The number of aerial and ground duels he wins is very underrated. He stops so many attacks from developing when he plays a bit higher up and gets targets the first ball.

iKeano

Such poor distribution. I dream of a world where he plays a pass in front of a player as opposed to playing it to the wide players back foot every. single. time.

José has spent £250m and we still rely on this fool as a centre back. The mind boggles. Wouldnt make any other top 10 teams defence and that’s saying something. Even Southgate has the measure of him.

Andersons Dietician

For me he was our man of the match but we were pretty poor all over so wasn’t that hard but thought he played really well today with a few crucial blocks, interceptions and just making things difficult of City.

MadMike

Such poor distribution. I dream of a world where he plays a pass in front of a player as opposed to playing it to the wide players back foot every. single. time.

José has spent £250m and we still rely on this fool as a centre back. The mind boggles. Wouldnt make any other top 10 teams defence and that’s saying something. Even Southgate has the measure of him.
I don't feel like you watched the game. Out of him and Rojo he was the only one with any composure in his passing and he played some nice balls forward as well. But you know, don't let perception with your ocular devices get in the way of preconceived ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.