Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis79

What a fantastic display tonight against Watford. Calm collected, saved alot of small mistakes by Rojo and Lindelöf. Doesn't get the credit he deserves at times. So professional and collected!

Robbie Boy

Been happy with him this season for the most part. Very good defender to have in the squad. Far better than shite like Cahill and Lovern and the likes.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Another fantastic performance today, he's barely put a foot wrong all season.

binary bot
Great performance. You just know a referee is going to call him on his shirt pulling very soon.

Bobski

Great performance. You just know a referee is going to call him on his shirt pulling very soon.
People have been saying that for the last 5 years, and the only time I can recall it happening was away to Newcastle.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good defender in yet another good performance shocker

kundalini

I thought he had a good game defensively. Whenever he gets the ball he hands the responsibility to Rojo or Lindelof.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was good tonight and has had a decent season, but for some reason I still him being the one to make way as we go forward with Lindelof, Bailly, Rojo and Jones as our senior centre backs.

Rossa

He was good tonight and has had a decent season, but for some reason I still him being the one to make way as we go forward with Lindelof, Bailly, Rojo and Jones as our senior centre backs.
But why? On form and on previous displays, he is our best center back. Others have potential, but currently Smalling is our best option.

cyberman

Do we think Jose wants a back 3 by design or is it down to finding himself with 5 fantastic central defenders?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
But why? On form and on previous displays, he is our best center back. Others have potential, but currently Smalling is our best option.
It's harsh I know, and a feeling certainly not based on his form this season as he's been solid. But I think the other four have higher ceilings; I was majorly impressed with Jones and Bailly earlier in the season (barring the Stoke game), Rojo apart from the penalty tonight has been beastly and Lindelöf has hopefully shown he's settling into being our distributer at the back.

I shouldn't even be whining on in his thread after another good performance but I definitely see him as bringing the least to table of the five in the long term for us, with the caveat that if Jones has more serious injury woes that'll naturally put him to the bottom of the pile.

Rossa

It's harsh I know, and a feeling certainly not based on his form this season as he's been solid. But I think the other four have higher ceilings; I was majorly impressed with Jones and Bailly earlier in the season (barring the Stoke game), Rojo apart from the penalty tonight has been beastly and Lindelöf has hopefully shown he's settling into being our distributer at the back.

I shouldn't even be whining on in his thread after another good performance but I definitely see him as bringing the least to table of the five in the long term for us, with the caveat that if Jones has more serious injury woes that'll naturally put him to the bottom of the pile.
Although very good, Jones still makes more mistakes. Lindelöf is yet not even close to Smalling’s level and has looked very vulnerable one on one, Even today when he was excellent for the most part. Rojo has been the best over a longer time, but he too makes more mistakes and is prone to more cards causing him to play within himself. Bailly, being the only one as or even better athletically, has the higher ceiling, but he is still making far too many weird moves and decisions.

Smalling is clearly the best in the air. He’s also the best one on one. Together with Bailly, he’s fastest, and he is probably the strongest as well.

Without Smalling, I think we are too weak aerially at the back. None of the other alternatives are great in aerial duels. Rojo probably being the second best.

He looks awkward, but in terms of ability, he’s our best defender. Therefore, I feel that wanting the others playing over him is a personal preference more than an analysis of who fits the team best or plays better.

At home, when we should dominate teams, there are definitely better alternatives than Smalling due to distribution. But then Even Carrick could play there.

Denis79

Disagree he's the reason Lindelöf looked solid tonight, saved his ass a couple of times. I'm not his biggest fan but feck me he was good tonight. We need his stability going forward.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe he meant, in another 5 years when those others can finally fulfill their potential. Well, Smalling will be 33 y.o. at that time.

He's been written off for years in favor of others; but season after season, he's still the most reliable CB. The last man standing.

Zoo

He’s great in the middle of a back 3 as the stopper. You don’t need all 3 to be ball-players which is why Southgate’s comments were quite stupid.

criticalanalysis

He’s great in the middle of a back 3 as the stopper. You don’t need all 3 to be ball-players which is why Southgate’s comments were quite stupid.
Depends on how Southgate sets his team up.

Brilliant when defending and in the penalty box but on the ball the he was quite poor tonight imo. Many easy passes he played slightly behind Lindelof or Rojo and let's be honest he didn't really attempt anything other than easy square balls.

If the tactic is to soak up pressure all tournament and hit teams on the break then he'll be a very good defender in a back three. In a two, you'll get next to no ball building from the back, which is unacceptable at this level.

Shimo

Depends on how Southgate sets his team up.

Brilliant when defending and in the penalty box but on the ball the he was quite poor tonight imo. Many easy passes he played slightly behind Lindelof or Rojo and let's be honest he didn't really attempt anything other than easy square balls.

If the tactic is to soak up pressure all tournament and hit teams on the break then he'll be a very good defender in a back three. In a two, you'll get next to no ball building from the back, which is unacceptable at this level.
Yeah look at where ball playing defender got Brazil last world cup. What matters at this level is being able to defend against some of the best attackers in the world first and foremost as a centerback.

Blue always red

Jesuit Christ, what's with the fixation on needing ball playing centre-backs. We've got arguably one of, if not the best midfielders in the world, and everyone wants poor old Mike to have more of the ball. Play the square pass everytime bud, let the midfielders do what they're paid to do.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Jesuit Christ, what's with the fixation on needing ball playing centre-backs. We've got arguably one of, if not the best midfielders in the world, and everyone wants poor old Mike to have more of the ball. Play the square pass everytime bud, let the midfielders do what they're paid to do.
I try to say this but it always falls on deaf ears. Most ball playing defenders are awful defensively its why (earlier on) players like Luiz needed Silva to cover or shore up the defence.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If He defends like that without making mistakes every week i will give him praise every week.
Who doesn't make a mistake every week? You have either incredibly high expectations for Smalling or an absolutely deluded belief in what centrebacks are capable of.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Smalling is a quality defender but his ability on the ball isn't just average or limited, it's genuinely dreadful. It's as if the ball frightens him or something.

Limited on the ball would be Vidic who kept it simple. But Smalling sometimes barely looks a footballer when he has the ball. He's that awkward.

In terms of defending he's great and in form holds an important place in the squad.

Loublaze

ATLien
Young produced two moments of brilliance but for me Smalling was our most valuable player on the pitch. He was flawless at the back. Lindelof had a great game as well. Shame about Rojo losing his head

Rossa

If He defends like that without making mistakes every week i will give him praise every week.
Today, Rojo made a big mistake. Lindelöf was easily dribbled past forcing an amazing tackle from Smalling to rescue him. They are there for one another, and every player makes mistakes. Most of the time, the other defenders/midfielders can help them out.

Glanville95

I don’t get how he’s not rated by United fans. Like, it literally confuses me. He’s generally a very, very strong defender. Shite on the ball granted, but doing what a defender is meant to do, he excels.

Havak

Pokemon master
He was great, though the minor nitpick would be losing a couple of headers to Deeney towards the end, but Deeney is going to win his fair share of headers against anyone. The thing with Chris is, thanks to his build, even when he loses a header he puts enough pressure on the attacker that they don't get a 'clear' chance - and when you have de Gea in net it's so unlikely to lead to a goal.

This is the reason why Gareth Southgate may end up looking a bit of a fool. It's all well and good wanting to try three at the back with ball-playing centre halves, but you still want a 'proper defender' in there IMO. We've just shown that you can have two CB's who are better on the ball and one guy who is there purely to defend and win most aerial duels.

When Smalling gets a run in the side and into form, I think he is our best CB defensively. We were a bit unlucky to concede two goals, I don't think any of our defenders deserved that last night, but it happens.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Although very good, Jones still makes more mistakes. Lindelöf is yet not even close to Smalling’s level and has looked very vulnerable one on one, Even today when he was excellent for the most part. Rojo has been the best over a longer time, but he too makes more mistakes and is prone to more cards causing him to play within himself. Bailly, being the only one as or even better athletically, has the higher ceiling, but he is still making far too many weird moves and decisions.

Smalling is clearly the best in the air. He’s also the best one on one. Together with Bailly, he’s fastest, and he is probably the strongest as well.

Without Smalling, I think we are too weak aerially at the back. None of the other alternatives are great in aerial duels. Rojo probably being the second best.

He looks awkward, but in terms of ability, he’s our best defender. Therefore, I feel that wanting the others playing over him is a personal preference more than an analysis of who fits the team best or plays better.

At home, when we should dominate teams, there are definitely better alternatives than Smalling due to distribution. But then Even Carrick could play there.
This is it, though I would add 'He looks awkward, but in terms of current ability, he’s our best defender'.

Though by no means a pensioner he is the eldest of the five; with Rojo a few months behind, Jones 2.5 years younger and Lindelöf and Bailly over 4 years younger. For the future we should certainly be prioritising Lindelöf and Bailly's development and Jones, injuries permitting, is the ideal third man given his age and fine displays alongside Bailly.

With the schedule we have and the recent experimentation with three at the back Smalling definitely has a key role to play for us in the short/medium term. However while I am not talking down Smalling's strength in the air and solid, no-nonsense defending I feel confident that given time Bailly, Lindelöf and Jones can replicate those attributes plus much more in terms of coolness on the ball and distribution.

I actively dislike the idea that every central defender has to have Xavi-like ball skills but I have far more confidence in the younger guys bringing their solidity to a great and consistent level than I have in Smalling improving his ability on the ball and coolness when being pressed.

I agree much of this comes down to personal taste and as I've said it doesn't feel good to be bringing this up with him in great form for us, but with my cold head on if asked which of the five I'd be least sorry to lose it would be Smalling.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I know they scored two goals, but we were defensively brilliant. Prior to the penalty, we gave them nothing and, at the same time, should have 5 or 6 up. Great showing from Mike - he's a better version of Jones, who many term a classical defender. This guy just knows how to defend without being stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.