Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Incredible :lol:

Was there one thing he did wrong today?
He was out of position leaving our defense exposed. At least Lindelof showed himself in the end defending, when Smalling took hiding.

Of course,white text

Zoo

Er he was under instruction to go and play as a striker.

ti vu

So it' fair rating: 8.5 defense + 1 for attacking would end up around 4.7 on average

White text here and the previous post

Bobski

One of the few players who performed to a competent level today, but since that Chelsea game when he played injured, had a shocker and his manager threw him under the bus he gets no benefit of the doubt.

meninred

I thought he was too slow to react and be a cover defender for second goal.Maybe it is just me.

ti vu

I thought he was too slow to react and be a cover defender for second goal.Maybe it is just me.
No one expected Lindelof to choke as hard as he did. If you expected Smalling to be able to do anything, then DDG should be asked more as he can use his hand, and always facing forward.

Last edited:

Mike09

This! How on earth someone think he was out of position leaving our defense exposed when he was being instructed to go forward and be Fellaini #2 so not his fault. He even almost scored the equaliser as well.

Ashley R1+O

Still one of our best defenders, having to baby sit Blind and Lindeloef in the last couple of seasons has take its toll on his confidence., it is a shame Jones got injured because they were solid until that shook up the defensive line.

AshRK

As a defender he is pretty decent. But his footballing ability in general is poor. Very clumsy on the ball. I'm fact lindelof is better with the ball compared to smalling.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Still one of our best defenders, having to baby sit Blind and Lindeloef in the last couple of seasons has take its toll on his confidence., it is a shame Jones got injured because they were solid until that shook up the defensive line.
I'm a big fan of Smalling and have defended him often, but I don't believe he's ever had to babysit Blind. In LvG's 2nd season, Blind was very good at LCB, and he and Smalling formed a very good partnership greater than the sum of its parts as each seem to be good at what the other isn't.

Personally I thought it was weird that Lindelof came on today. Chucked in to the deep end in a high intensity game which the opposition and the crowd were absolutely up for. Blind has experience and has had a good understanding with Smalling in the past. He should have come on, and not Lindelof IMO.

littleman

Just 2 seasons ago, posters were lauding him as "Smaldini"

Hilarious. Foolish.

We'll need quality at the back to be a serious contender for major European honors and Smalling won't be enough. At best a sub for those ambitions.

MAME DIOUF 32

He's not first choice. Are there really many better third choice centre backs in the league?

Loublaze

ATLien
He's not first choice. Are there really many better third choice centre backs in the league?
LOL he's not third choice. Glassman Jones was never going to last. He's never managed 25 games in a single season for United since he joined!! Smalling played damn near 50 games the season he was names players player of the season in 2015/16

Mike09

Just 2 seasons ago, posters were lauding him as "Smaldini"

Hilarious. Foolish.

We'll need quality at the back to be a serious contender for major European honors and Smalling won't be enough. At best a sub for those ambitions.
People were joking like how people called Fellaini as Fellandinho. But one guy here took the joke seriously :lol::lol:

Rossa

Incredible :lol:

Was there one thing he did wrong today?
No, but people on here have been getting worse. The love for City lately is disgusting, and the hate for our own players is even worse. Smalling was good today and did little wrong. Defensively, we were caught out three time, and twice it was Lindelöf who made the clear mistakes, and once only him. In the second half, it reached a point where Smalling had to take all the aerial challenges because Lindelöf lost them.

Swansea 0:2 Man Utd

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He had a very good game. Not positive enough in passing forward but when it comes to defending he is very good.

Glad he is regaining his form and looks like he is back to his best.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think he is our only player whose any run of good form goes unnoticed. Smalling's became pretty much our most reliable CB over the years, and excellent player to have. No doubt many will jump in here as soon as he makes his first goal mistake of the season. I am pretty sure he our only defender who is yet to make a goal mistake this season anyway.

Also, he is our only defender who is criticised for his passing despite any of our defenders not being great passers either. I am yet to see what our other defenders bring passing wise, except not just looking awkward on the ball.

Arka_BleedingRed

When was the last time this guy made a forward pass, instead of sideways and backwards? Even bottom rung teams have defenders who pass better than him!

Rossa

I think he is our only player whose any run of good form goes unnoticed. Smalling's became pretty much our most reliable CB over the years, and excellent player to have. No doubt many will jump in here as soon as he makes his first goal mistake of the season. I am pretty sure he our only defender who is yet to make a goal mistake this season anyway.

Also, he is our only defender who is criticised for his passing despite any of our defenders not being great passers either. I am yet to see what our other defenders bring passing wise, except not just looking awkward on the ball.
Spot on mate!

el3mel

Very good again. This season he looks back to his good form from LVG last season.

Don't know why I saw some in the main forum still saying he should get sold. He has been a very reliable backup whenever he gets called. He can't build attacks from behind, but he's focusing on his strengths in tackling and heading, which is more important.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
When was the last time this guy made a forward pass, instead of sideways and backwards? Even bottom rung teams have defenders who pass better than him!
Incredibly annoying this. It’s no wonder our build up is so slow and ponderous when we’ve a player at the heart of our defence that refuses to pass it forwards. It’s a cop out to pass it back to the keeper or the bloke standing beside him all the time. Not that it ultimately mattered tonight but he’s a professional footballer and a starting centre half for Man Utd, it’s unreal how he can be such a coward in possession. The kid alongside him put him to shame in that regard

MalcolmTucker

Yeah he's a good defender, very reliable but every time he gets on the ball he goes forward with it as if he's going to play a forward pass only to decide against it and knock it to the closest player next to him or worse, back to the keeper. If he just knocked it to the nearest player straight away I wouldn't mind but his dallying on the ball slows us down and drives me nuts.

Jean claude van hire

Encouraging performance tonight. Is he likely to get the job of picking up Kane on Saturday or will that be Bailly, assuming he is fit?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

The forum/Manchester United fans at large have made him the punching bag for a while now. Opinions won't really change - and if they do, it'll coincide with a point where he has a lower quality game and the cycle will start again.

Devil may care

I think he's had a good run of games and led that back 3 well today, seems to have found a calmness in his game.

Andersons Dietician

I actually think he is our best defender. Obviously not amazing at creating attacks but that’s not really the job of a CB. But pure defending for me he is the best. If he was happy to

I actually think he is our best defender. Obviously not amazing at creating attacks but that’s not really the job of a CB. But pure defending for me he is the best. If he was happy to
He is arguably our best one v one defender but there is much, much more to defending than that and he's not particularly great at any of it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He is arguably our best one v one defender but there is much, much more to defending than that and he's not particularly great at any of it.
What would be this "much more to defending" as a CB?

I rate Smalling and he should be able to deal with Kane on Saurday - he's an excellent 1 v 1 defender, plus I can't remember Kane doing anything of note against us at Old Trafford in the last three seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.