Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Thought it was slightly odd when the captains armband went to Young instead of him today. His decline in status in the squad since Mourinho has arrived has been dramatic and I would not be at all surprised to see him sold next season.
He wasn't a captain material from the start anyway.

Devil may care

He made 2 or 3 nice passes tonight and I didn't really notice him beyond that, not a negative.

Sylar

I still maintain that he's our best defender in the classical sense of the word(minus strong leadership, obviously). It's such a damn shame that he's allergic to the ball. He made 4 completely brain-dead passes today.

I think he should just start giving the ball to the opponent so that he immediately can focus on winning the ball back instead. This "passing" thing seems to be beyond him anyways.
He came from non-league right? He seems like a really strong penalty area defender, who can head stuff away and get into good positions for that. But when it comes to the ball, hes shaky or not confident.
He will get the ball, run into space, then turn and pass it sideways or back making that run forward kinda pointless.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I hope he stays as backup. What a backup to have. Yes he's not great on the ball but he's a good defender and a physical beast.

Dir Wangem

He came from non-league right? He seems like a really strong penalty area defender, who can head stuff away and get into good positions for that. But when it comes to the ball, hes shaky or not confident.
He will get the ball, run into space, then turn and pass it sideways or back making that run forward kinda pointless.
He's also a great tackler and really hard to dribble. And when he's caught out of position, he can compensate with pace in abundance.

But yeah, he's quite shite with the ball in his feet. He also seems a bit mentally weak. I used to think he was cold as ice, but in truth he's probably just scared :P

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Honestly didn't notice him being on the pitch. Except for when he claimed a corner once which proceeded to be given. Solid.

EricaNo7

He had a fantastic season a couple of years ago but seems to have gone downhill since. My son and I watched the highlights from the FA cup final last night and every time I see his sending off it looks worse. What was he thinking ?

SteveW

Let the ball players pay against the weaker sides. Against the best sides where we need to be at our best defensively I'd be starting him. He's still a beast defensively.

Man Utd 4:1 Burton

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He had a fantastic season a couple of years ago but seems to have gone downhill since. My son and I watched the highlights from the FA cup final last night and every time I see his sending off it looks worse. What was he thinking ?
That came in the season he was fantastic, and well, defenders all have the odd brainfarts. Some more than others. How many times do you say any do what Ashley Williams did last season handballing it off the line?

Devil may care

Solid, still wondering how he got that freekick against when the guy flying kicked him in the mush.

ti vu

Solid, still wondering how he got that freekick against when the guy flying kicked him in the mush.
Yeah. Got kneed on the head and called for foul, while the other lost track of the ball and just recklessly throw his body around :houllier:

Smalling has been very solid so far this season.

Andersons Dietician

Looked solid last night and his passing was crisp as well. He should be retained if he is alright with his role in the squad.

Southampton 0:1 Man Utd

el3mel

They were very dangerous in all corners and set pieces. His introduction provided us with extra cover in them and he did his job pretty fine.

ti vu

Performance wise, no comment as not much he involved, but he is kinda a clumsy and pose a danger this teammate, isn't he? Jones should unfriendly him. Ever since both become friend Jones' medical bill went uncontrollably.

Kidding

Kag

A brilliant centre half option to have around the club that doesn't deserve the half-witted accusations often directed his way. No team in England has a better option sat on their bench. Again, I'll stress that our set of defenders are excellent and a credit to the club. Lindelof can't even get on the bench and Rojo is still out. We're very lucky.

Moscow 1:4 Man Utd

Renegade

Any reason why he seems to have been dropped down the captaincy pecking order?
Valencia, Pogba and Young all above him now.

Last edited:

Devil may care

He's been pretty composed this season, I wonder if he's feeling less pressure now he's down the pecking order.

Paul_Scholes18

Thought he played well today. I feel good about all our central defenders right now. Form is good overall and we are defending good as a team.

Sylar

I actually think a back three suits him. Lets him defend, but takes some of the onus of him in terms of ball distribution.

Bobski

Not a penalty for me, and he was a monster in the air. Thought Lindelof might get a start today but Mou is running a meritocracy and on form Smalling deserved to start ahead of Lindelof.

el3mel

He has been very good today, apart from the doubtful penalty decision he didn't put a foot wrong.

Doing a fine job this season as a rotational option.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good performance. Seemed to continually ignore Jones' advice of "pass it to the keeper, I'm closely marked" but gave it to Jones anyway. But his actual defending was solid. Good header to nearly score too. Normally he blazes them high and wide, but that one was a narrow miss.

rollingstoned1

He's also a great tackler and really hard to dribble. And when he's caught out of position, he can compensate with pace in abundance.

But yeah, he's quite shite with the ball in his feet. He also seems a bit mentally weak. I used to think he was cold as ice, but in truth he's probably just scared :P
SAF mentioned in his autobiography that he saw him as the one on the team who relished defending most, and you can see why even though he has a spasm whenever he has to pass the ball.

The White Pele

I thought he was very good today and aggressive in his defending which is what we need from him. Too safe at times in his pass selection but I can live with that at Anfield.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Arguably our best player today. Him and Jones were solid.

Bobski

Competent, solid performance today. Has always been an easy target for criticism but purely defensively he is more than adequate.

Passing is so restricted these days though. It has always been limited but it is becoming clear that he has been instructed to take as few risks as possible on the ball. He has 3 passes now, back to the keeper, to the full back on his side or to his CB partner, 95% of his passes must be in that mode. Looks like Mou has concluded that there is little point in trying to expand his range and just wants security from him.

He was poor today. Liverpool continually played the ball down the left channel into our box and found players in acres of space because he had no idea they were there.

Just because we didn't concede doesn't mean he played well.

Doracle

Excellent performance yesterday. Pleased to see him looking like he's getting back to his best. Central defence really is a key strength in our team - three genuine quality options in that position, if they can stay fit!

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He was poor today. Liverpool continually played the ball down the left channel into our box and found players in acres of space because he had no idea they were there.

Just because we didn't concede doesn't mean he played well.
Salah had just as much freedom down jones' side.

Status
Not open for further replies.