Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Because neither of them is a good CB. Blind isn't even one. He played DM during his POTY season in Netherlands and as a LB for hi national team.

At least Lindelof has time on his side. But when you see how easily he gets dribbled or out-muscled or gets caught out of position when he plays, your immediate thought is not why he's not playing more. In fact, the opposite.
Which makes you wonder why we bought him in the first place. Bad scouting I guess.

dirkey

Rio and Vidic also had much better players around them and played in a system all the players were comfortable in. Vidic was about the same standard of passer as Smalling IMO.

You guys make it out that Smalling struggles to pass 10 yards.

I assume you read my defensive stats post last page? Seems to have got ignored by those attacking Smalling (no surprise).
You've lost all credibility for me with that statement. Good God.

criticalanalysis

You've lost all credibility for me with that statement. Good God.
I was just about to quote that one line. To be fair to RedSky, he see's Smalling as a squad player but no way can you defend Smalling's lack of ball playing ability.

It's not if he can or can not make a 10 yard pass, it's his whole mentality and ability on it that makes him a bad footballer.

When you turn your back on the ball, shield yourself behind an opposition player and/or are not comfortable receiving it to feet, you have 1 less option to pass to. That's a passenger and I don't care how good the rest of your team is, at this level, that's a liability and the weakest link when you have the ball. Think about it logically, we have the ball most of the time and we want the ball most of the time, how the hell does having one player, who's not comfortable on it make sense? That's what people are criticising about.

Obviously it's not just him and ultimate blame should go to Mourinho for the lack of coaching/organisation we're seeing but you simply cannot ignore this and say 'it's fine cause he's a good defender'.

He's not a great passer but the funny thing is, if we actually were a high pressing team, Smalling's deficiency here could be massively made up for. He'd be winning the ball with his impressive athletic ability and passing to players within those 5-10 pockets of space HIGHER up the pitch. Being touch tight reduces those areas where he had to pass over 15-20 yards and make decisions on whether to bring the ball out further (spoiler: basically he doesn't).

dirkey

I was just about to quote that one line. To be fair to RedSky, he see's Smalling as a squad player but no way can you defend Smalling's lack of ball playing ability.

It's not if he can or can not make a 10 yard pass, it's his whole mentality and ability on it that makes him a bad footballer.

When you turn your back on the ball, shield yourself behind an opposition player and/or are not comfortable receiving it to feet, you have 1 less option to pass to. That's a passenger and I don't care how good the rest of your team is, at this level, that's a liability and the weakest link when you have the ball. Think about it logically, we have the ball most of the time and we want the ball most of the time, how the hell does having one player, who's not comfortable on it make sense? That's what people are criticising about.

Obviously it's not just him and ultimate blame should go to Mourinho for the lack of coaching/organisation we're seeing but you simply cannot ignore this and say 'it's fine cause he's a good defender'.

He's not a great passer but the funny thing is, if we actually were a high pressing team, Smalling's deficiency here could be massively made up for. He'd be winning the ball with his impressive athletic ability and passing to players within those 5-10 pockets of space HIGHER up the pitch. Being touch tight reduces those areas where he had to pass over 15-20 yards and make decisions on whether to bring the ball out further (spoiler: basically he doesn't).
Yeah, seeing him as a squad player is fine. But I don't buy into the fact he's that good of a defender. He's prone to mistakes so often. Just look at the Newcastle game, he was shambolic. Even their main chance the other day came when his positioning was all over the place.

As for his ball playing ability, it's pathetic. I'm so sick of seeing him getting the ball, turning, and passing it back to De Gea. He has zero courage, and like you say, he hides behind players rather than making space to get it back. I won't be horrified if he's sold at the end of this season. But he better not be 1st choice come next year.

Antonedwin

In the modern game it isn't just about defending. You need to be able to do much more than that. You need to be a complete footballer. Which Smalling is not.

I'm sure you watched our game vs Tottenham, and seeing their CBs carry the ball into midfield effortlessly just made my blood boil at how inept ours are.

Phil Neville did a decent analysis of this:
Feel sorry looking at de gea there after conceding , guy has 15 clean sheets this season , imagine how many he would had if he had top defender in front of him.
If i were him i won't renew contract till we dump both smalling & jones , that's absolute condition the club have to meet if they want my signature

Loublaze

ATLien
Feel sorry looking at de gea there after conceding , guy has 15 clean sheets this season , imagine how many he would had if he had top defender in front of him.
If i were him i won't renew contract till we dump both smalling & jones , that's absolute condition the club have to meet if they want my signature
You feel sorry for the keeper with the most clean sheets in the league and the least conceded goals? He has 15 in the league, 4 in the champions league so whats a total of 19 for the season. Jones and Smalling played most of those games. Smalling himself has helped the team get 19 clean sheets as well (4 with Romero). You should stop posting bs

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

It's not that Smalling have poor passing range nor passing accuracy - his capability in those are just fine for a defender, not spectacular yet not bad, just ok enough.

It's his decision making with the ball where he's often clueless not sure what to do which is the problem, additionally his poor positioning and movement to receive passes from team mates making spaces and creating better angles especially receiving passes from our keeper. Plus, no composure and hesitancy when holding the ball.

Ball playing ability = passing skills + positioning/movement skills (on and off the ball) + decision making skills + mental skills (i.e. composure)

Phil Nev and some posters are spot on.
In the modern game it isn't just about defending. You need to be able to do much more than that. You need to be a complete footballer. Which Smalling is not.

I'm sure you watched our game vs Tottenham, and seeing their CBs carry the ball into midfield effortlessly just made my blood boil at how inept ours are.

Phil Neville did a decent analysis of this:

To compensate not having this, Smalling HAVE TO/MUST be partnered with a CB that is good at this i.e. Blind, Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof. Unfortunately Jones have the same problem. Playing them both together will be a mess at the back ~ disorganized, no structure, no composure at the back, keeper have lack of support and hence often always under pressure, etc.

Red_toad

Good defender, but not very fashionable because a lot of posters value passing ability over defending in their CBs

Everyone is Barcelona now
Lots want us to be City 2.0, but our midfield isn't good enough to have defenders who can't really defend that well. Get a Scholes clone in th midfield and all that crap about defenders carrying the ball out goes away. Our midfielders are too scared to carry the ball. Matic had a purple patch where he was consistently doing so, now not so much, so our play is patchy to say the least.

Steven Seagull

Smalling is our best CB whether you like it or not. Every manager we've had since Fergie departed has played him more than our other CB options. Thats four seasons buddy. Whats the point in having sicknotes who you can't rely on for shit? 12 months from now I can almost guarantee you'll still be bitching about Smalling and he'll still be the one getting the most game time. We've signed Blind, Rojo and Lindelof to 'improve' our defense in recent seasons and its still Smalling getting the minutes and the most impressive stats. Must really hurt huh?
:lol:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we want to win the league, Chris needs to leave.
If we want to fight for top four every season, then he'll be fine.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If we want to win the league, Chris needs to leave.
If we want to fight for top four every season, then he'll be fine.
Yeah, because letting your currently best performing CB leave will automatically win you the league. Even if you believe Bailly will reach his potential soon rather than later and that we will buy a CB in the summer that will help win us the league, surely a CB deemed fit for a top four fight would be a quality option to have over a long season alongside Bailly and a new saviour of a CB while challenging for the league? The logic in those 2 sentences is flawed, imo.

zenith

Smaling is prone to the occasional brain fart but who is not. As many have said, he's currently our best center half and is very much capable of forming a title winning partnership with baily at the center of our defense.

Virror

Our biggest problem (and weakness) is that we don't have a leader in the backline, Smalling is the oldest and most experienced, but hasnt shown any ability to lead, and should therefore be replaced.

Smalling does look good when looked at in isolation because his physical traits mean he will do a lot of interceptions and clearances, but the unit as whole looks a total shambles when he is playing. Not that any of the others are great leaders either, but there seems to be a bit more cohesion and working as a unit when Rojo is playing.

Dec9003

Yeah, because letting your currently best performing CB leave will automatically win you the league. Even if you believe Bailly will reach his potential soon rather than later and that we will buy a CB in the summer that will help win us the league, surely a CB deemed fit for a top four fight would be a quality option to have over a long season alongside Bailly and a new saviour of a CB while challenging for the league? The logic in those 2 sentences is flawed, imo.
Okay I'll rephrase.
If we want to win the league, Smalling can't start for us unless there are injuries.
If we want to fight for top four, then he's fine.

Dec9003

Huth and Morgan weren't better than Smalling.
They were in the season they won the league, I'm pretty sure when Leicester went to City and everyone thought they were gonna lose and fall away, Huth or Morgan scored a vital goal and both played brilliantly. They were much better than Smalling.

el3mel

Huth and Morgan weren't better than Smalling.
You can't take a fluke season as a rule.

I agree with Smalling being not suitable as a starter for a title winning team. Good squad option since he rarely gets injured, but he has too many flaws to be a main CB of a team that always gets pressed and attacked. He's suitable for box defending, while big teams tend to press higher and use their CBs to build the attack. Mourinho's style of zone defending suits him, but can't imagine him starting for a team like City, or even Liverpool. You can say Laporte or Stones aren't good defensively, but they offer the team much more than just box defending.

Bwuk

Phil Neville’s video is actually spot on.

Smalling looks scared of the ball. Jones used to be more comfortable on it in years gone by but doesn’t look the same player anymore.

Smalling might of been ok in the 80s as a defender, but the game has changed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They were in the season they won the league, I'm pretty sure when Leicester went to City and everyone thought they were gonna lose and fall away, Huth or Morgan scored a vital goal and both played brilliantly. They were much better than Smalling.
Players that stand out from that Leicester team were Kante, Vardy, and Mahrez. No one was thinking, eh.. maybe one of their CB is United quality and worth a bid. That's kind of weird if they were much better than Smalling, as those quality of CB don't grow on tree and available all the time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Both him and Lindelof have been very good today. Better than majority of our team, hopefully they keep it until the end.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Sold himself that time morata got through his only mistake. He's won the ball back in high positions quite a bit
Aye, had his dodgy moments but considering he's not been great for large parts of this season today's been one of his more solid performances.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Aye, had his dodgy moments but considering he's not been great for large parts of this season today's been one of his more solid performances.
How would you rate our other defenders if he wasn't great for large parts?

Best defender by a mile in a team that has the best defensive record in a league - he's not been great for large part of the season. Rubbish.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How would you rate our other defenders if he wasn't great for large parts?

Best defender by a mile in a team that has the best defensive record in a league - he's not been great for large part of the season. Rubbish.
DDG's saved our arse on plenty of occasions. He's been okay at times but far from remarkable and has had plenty of poor performances.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's redeemed himself since my post, but is capable of doing something incredibly shit as he is of capable of doing something great. I'd rather something more stable at CB personally.
Aye, would say that's a close to perfect description of him. Solid at times but with an error in him - fortunately been more towards the former today and improved massively as the game's gone on.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I’m sure this thread will be quiet this week.

That run out from defence towards the end of the match was amazing :drool:

Ekeke

Made a lot of tackles to break up Chelsea attacks. He doesnt normally play that aggressively, but always seemed to win the ball today. Our CBs probably looked the best part of the team today.

Status
Not open for further replies.