Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
What do you mean? We've paid huge amounts of money for players we must believe can be top players just like those I mentioned. But its somehow Chris Smalling's fault that they arent as good?
As I previously asked, compare the players in the respective positions. Player's monetary value means nothing in this convo btw.

And I'm not putting the entirity of the buildup fault on Chris Smalling either. But he's a part of it yes.

Ekeke

As I previously asked, compare the players in the respective positions. Player's monetary value means nothing in this convo btw.

And I'm not putting the entirity of the buildup fault on Chris Smalling either. But he's a part of it yes.
Of course money matters, it shows that we thought the players we were buying can develop into players as good as those I mentioned. We werent signing average premier league players we were going out to try and sign the best we could get our hands on.

If you're trying to find a CB who is so great on the ball he can make up for 9 other players not being as good as they need to be, you'll be looking forever.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Of course money matters, it shows that we thought the players we were buying can develop into players as good as those I mentioned. We werent signing average premier league players we were going out to try and sign the best we could get our hands on.

If you're trying to find a CB who is so great on the ball he can make up for 9 other players not being as good as they need to be, you'll be looking forever.
I feel we are on different pages, and it's fine. Thanks. :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Apparently he’s not very good. Today’s performance will be soon erased from history within no time, just like the 80%+ games he plays ever.

He’s one of the best defenders in the league, and has been for years. Average at best on the ball, but that’s about it.

peanuthead

He had a good game second half and I liked how he kept winning the ball before it reach a Chelsea player's foot like Vidic and Rio used to do in their prime. Its amazing how quiet his thread is seeing as his haters know he had a good game. Our second best cb behind Bailey imo.

3KDré

I think he's miles better when he's not next to Jones for some reason.

AdamAdams

Good game today. Had a 'mare' the other week but still our most consistent centre half this season

Bobski

Looked like a Stoke or WBA player today, in some parallel universe where they are contenders. Excellent game, one mistake when he had that 50/50 with Morata on the left, but got back and blocked the shot. Nothing he could have done with the one that hit the bar, sometimes you have to cede to brilliant attacking play, and that was exceptional.

I really enjoyed how aggressive Smalling and Lindelof were in stepping up on Morata and looking to win the ball early, gave him him a very physical and tough contest.

Wasn't there someone who said Mustafi was better than him earlier in the thread. This would go nuclear if Smalling made that level of clanger.

Revan

Assumptionman
For all the praise, I don't even think that he was that good. In no man's land for Chelsea's goal and then Morata made a fool of him which almost resulted in an another goal.

Sure, he was great during the ending of the match and had a goal saving moment when Lindelof lost the ball in our zone but I don't see where does the praise come from considering the first half when he was poor.

Bobski

For all the praise, I don't even think that he was that good. In no man's land for Chelsea's goal and then Morata made a fool of him which almost resulted in an another goal.

Sure, he was great during the ending of the match and had a goal saving moment when Lindelof lost the ball in our zone but I don't see where does the praise come from considering the first half when he was poor.
He was up for a set piece, and had to sprint 80 yards at full pace to even be in the picture. Nothing he could have done. Was not poor in the first half at all, just the usual overreacting to minor mistakes. Not sure what he was supposed to have done with the one Morata his the bar with, that was a brilliant move, the best in the game, finished with a superb cross. Sometimes the attacking play is just too good.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I think he's miles better when he's not next to Jones for some reason.
This is the main point. CBs are so dependant on their partners and Jones/Smalling just doesn't work.

I'll be honest, I'm don't rate him as high as some on here but he's defintely a decent option at CB. If he works well with Lindeloff, play those two. It doesn't matter who plays as long as it works.

Bobski

I think both are a lot better when they aren't paired together. It's very odd.
Both too conservative on the ball. Accept it from Smalling to an extent given his limitations but Jones is better than that, technically he is a capable player but he always tends to take the safe option, and for some reason this becomes even more apparent when playing alongside Smalling. Bleeds over into their defending, you would think given the time they have played together it would be a smoother partnership but they seem to lower each others level. Frustrating because alongside Bailly they are the top3 at the club.

Antonedwin

must be instructed by mourinho to play physical on morata which worked ofc, morata might be big and tall but not strong so it's not the hardest task to do

His body moves like Robocop whenever he's getting into position to make a pass and invite pressure most of the time for both him and his team mate.

Loublaze

ATLien
must be instructed by mourinho to play physical on morata which worked ofc, morata might be big and tall but not strong so it's not the hardest task to do

His body moves like Robocop whenever he's getting into position to make a pass and invite pressure most of the time for both him and his team mate.
Dude. Take a break for a day with your criticism and just concede or hush up when a player you hate has a good game. You don't have to always look for shit

Last edited:

Sylar

The best bit was near the end when he intercepted the ball, charged forward and won a free kick. Was nice to see. Wish we would see more of that (although it was nice that he didnt hold the ball longer otherwise he probably would have stopped and passed it backwards lol)

He did well after we conceded first. But imo, we defo need to upgrade on him as a starter.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

He started 2-3 dangerous counter-attacks in the first half which may have resulted in goals had our attackers not been so wasteful in transition the first half.
In no man's land for the goal, are you joking? I honestly can't remember if Morata made a fool of him once, but even if he did, it was the other way around 99% of the game. Not just at the end. I recommend rewatching the game

Ashley R1+O

Superb again, he's forming a nice partnership with Lindelof and they look like they are starting to get to grips with each others game. Will upgrade the flanks in the summer and hopefully can elevate his performance levels even more and keep Bailly out of the starting role. If he's doing that he will be at an excellent level.

Things look good for this little partnership! Hope it continues!

Distracted Steward

Smalling was good today. He was well screened by Matić and McTomine and partnered well with Lindelöf. That kept most of the game in front of him. When he can read things and step forward to attack the ball, he’s at his best. Today suited him well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very good again which isn't surprising. He is very good defenders and he proved it again.

He sort of played with Morata like #9 was some rag doll.

Smalling Vs Morata
2/3 Aerial duels won by smalling.
4/6 Tackles won against Morata.
Only 1 out 3 successful dribble against Smalling for Morata.

He was beaten easily for that dribble though, that's the only thing we can point finger at, apart from that he was superb.

manunited1919

By now it should be abundantly clear that Mr. Mourinho rates Chris Smalling for his excellent defending. Still, haters will keep trying to magnify any error Smalling makes, and of course for his poor ball playing skills. If any mistake is made by any other defenders or midfielders, it will be Smalling’s fault, according to them. Many of these haters think they know more about defending and building a team than the manager, and even if we were to win the CL, they will keep proclaiming that Smalling needs to be sold this summer.

They never want to acknowledge the manager just might be right.

DocRockter

His game in the 2nd half was immense.. The first 10mins the midfield let Chelsea through a couple of times but always our defense was there to stop them. Correct position, doubling down Morata/Hazard and clearing with ease..

Smalling had a great game and it should be more applauded..

EDIT: Also adding De Gea not wearing a cap certainly didn't help the CBs..

Skills

Snitch
Looks like he's lost a bit of pace. Doesn't look as quick as he did a few years ago.

arthurka

Very good game from Mike yesterday.
Playing with Lindelöf seems to help him keep his focus.

Kostov

He had a good game in my opinion, but that shot against the bar at the start from Morata would have been on him if it went in. How did he not clear that cross is beyond me.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Taken from @roonster09 MotM thread.
The only defender to play 5 games in February.
This is an insane stat line, and none of our other defenders have come close.
Plus I think he’s had the most defensive actions almost every month this year except 1, but I could be wrong.

Sure, he’s not going to stop everything but the criticism he gets is ridiculous, considering he’s not only reliable but he contributes massively.

Sandyman

Taken from @roonster09 MotM thread.
The only defender to play 5 games in February.
This is an insane stat line, and none of our other defenders have come close.
Plus I think he’s had the most defensive actions almost every month this year except 1, but I could be wrong.

Sure, he’s not going to stop everything but the criticism he gets is ridiculous, considering he’s not only reliable but he contributes massively.
Problem is he occasionally has a WTF moment or stupid mistake and that just used as reinforcements to the already popular "he is shit" opinion. Even when he goes on a consistent run, he ends up having a game where he is a bag of nerves. He needs to cut them out and play more confidently.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Problem is he occasionally has a WTF moment or stupid mistake and that just used as reinforcements to the already popular "he is shit" opinion. Even when he goes on a consistent run, he ends up having a game where he is a bag of nerves. He needs to cut them out and play more confidently.
I just think people have short memories, it’s easier to remember bad games than it is to remember good ones from defenders.
Also not every defender is going to be able to stop every single goal - sometimes we have to applaud a great attacking play.

I agree he needs to play more confidently, when he’s as aggressive as he was yesterday he’s very difficult to get past.
It doesn’t help that he’s playing with either a new partner or set of fullbacks almost every game but Lindelof suits him better than Jones for sure.

Bobski

He had a good game in my opinion, but that shot against the bar at the start from Morata would have been on him if it went in. How did he not clear that cross is beyond me.
It was a brilliant cross at high speed coming coming in at an awkward height. Said it earlier but sometimes the attacking play is just better than anything the defender can do. Not all chances mean a mistake was made.

Sandyman

I just think people have short memories, it’s easier to remember bad games than it is to remember good ones from defenders.
Also not every defender is going to be able to stop every single goal - sometimes we have to applaud a great attacking play.

I agree he needs to play more confidently, when he’s as aggressive as he was yesterday he’s very difficult to get past.
It doesn’t help that he’s playing with either a new partner or set of fullbacks almost every game but Lindelof suits him better than Jones for sure.
Good point. I was thinking about creating a thread to discuss our constantly changing back line the other day. There have been so many different combinations, there are hardly any games where we start with the same back 4.

Kostov

It was a brilliant cross at high speed coming coming in at an awkward height. Said it earlier but sometimes the attacking play is just better than anything the defender can do. Not all chances mean a mistake was made.
I think he slipped/lost balance and could have done better. Either way it wasn't a goal, and Smalling had a solid game otherwise.

Ekeke

Comical.

Valencia 10 yards deeper than the rest of the defenders for no reason, Lindelof tracks his player who goes into Young's territory and Young just stands there and watches instead of seeing this and covering the dangerous space. Because of our fullbacks Willian has a chance on goal, and De Gea is beat at his near post.

And yet you want to blame our CBs, well specifically Smalling.

I dont know how people can call themselves fans of a football club when they target one specific player and blame him for everything all the time.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Just don't play him with Jones, and vice versa, simple as. Maybe we won't need to sell or buy any CBs as long as they play with a partner that compliments them well. Had another terrific game, yesterday. With Lindelof, he has someone who can take the mantle of playing out from the back.

Bobski

Comical.

Valencia 10 yards deeper than the rest of the defenders for no reason, Lindelof tracks his player who goes into Young's territory and Young just stands there and watches instead of seeing this and covering the dangerous space. Because of our fullbacks Willian has a chance on goal, and De Gea is beat at his near post.

And yet you want to blame our CBs, well specifically Smalling.

I dont know how people can call themselves fans of a football club when they target one specific player and blame him for everything all the time.
Exactly why you have people in this thread defending him. Smalling is up for a corner, Utd make a mess of it but you have people trying to find a way to make him at least partly culpable for a goal he never had a chance with.

Status
Not open for further replies.