Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ever? Surprising.
No, currently in the squad but today he scored his 15th for United, he has now caught up with Vidic. Pallister had 12 and Rio never got into double figures. I think Bruce is our highest scoring CB by far

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
A Crystal Palace player who was being covered by Valencia until he completely switched off. Smalling had no particular reason to think he had to come over to cover him as well.

He was definitely slow to turn around and come back properly which may have made a difference if the attacker had slowed down or if there had been a save from De Gea, but as it turned out he wouldn't have made a difference since that didn't happen.
As soon as the ref awards the free kick they are supposed to fall back to prevent the opposition from taking advantage of the huge space between our defenders and our goal..Smalling is stuck complaining about the free kick. Valencias mistake isn't a get out of jail free card.

NinjaFletch

He had a good game stitching together something from an abysmal defensive display from the other three defenders.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I have no idea how people think we will cope with set pieces when he is not around. He was literally the only player who won every set piece jump tonight, it was ridiculous to watch. Even in opposition box he is the only one who is half dangerous on corners.

That was shit mistake for the goal though, but I don't think that should be allowed.
THIS so much, people can lament his lack of ball playing skills and occasional brainfarts but he's the only dominant CB in the air we've got at our club. We need to pair him with Bailly and see if they have any sort of chemistry because him and either of Jones/Rojo/Lindelof are not the solution.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
As soon as the ref awards the free kick they are supposed to fall back to prevent the opposition from taking advantage of the huge space between our defenders and our goal..Smalling is stuck complaining about the free kick. Valencias mistake isn't a get out of jail free card.
Matic is at least equally to blame for the same reason. He should have stood on the ball instead of complaining.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He had a fantastic game, not sure how I can say this when we conceded 2 goals but he wasn't at fault and combatted everything very well. Always dependable for a few goals a season.

Bobski

Chris Smalling's game by numbers vs. Crystal Palace:

98 touches 76 (91%)
passes completed 13
clearances 10
aerial duels won 3 (100%)
tackles won 1
shot 1
goal 1

...Smalldini
Those are some odd stats, the 13 passes completed stood out to me, so a quick look on whoscored shows 69 and 10 aerial duels won?

Walters_19_MuFc

Not easy to deal with Benteke. Aerially, he's the strongest in the league, according to stats.

It was always going to be how well our centre backs can deal with the aerial bombardment by Palace, but all in all, I felt Smalling dealt with it pretty well.

Took his goal very well too. Fantastic header.

Kostov

An important goal, but feck me if this guy is our senior CB and should lead our defense. Him and Lindelof made Benteke and that other guy look like Ibrahimovic, fecking pathetic both of them.

arnie_ni

How?? Mo way. Benteke out jumped him twice( and those were chances for palace)
Well the de gea save it was lindeloff who was marking him but smalling came across in a last ditch effort from behind so maybe that one doesnt count.

He gave away 2 fks in the air so surely that should count as an aerial dual lost.

Thought he played well. In the second half he played a couple good balls through midfield as well

Loublaze

ATLien
Liked how Mourinho gave him a high five after he held off Benteke for the ball to go out for a United throw in. @GifLord any chance you can make a GIF of it? It occurred from 21:25 to 21:35 mins in

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He was a one man defence today for most of the game as Lindelof just hides for me. Would like to see how many headed clearances he made tonight. Poor for the first goal but otherwise he defended very well. Important goal too

Loublaze

ATLien
An important goal, but feck me if this guy is our senior CB and should lead our defense. Him and Lindelof made Benteke and that other guy look like Ibrahimovic, fecking pathetic both of them.
I guess no strikers are absolutely allowed to have good games against our defenders. Benteke didn't score anyway. Jesus.

Kag

Played two big lads practically on his own. We'd concede so many goals from headers if he wasn't in the side.

izec

Every game he has some brainfarts. Good game overall, but needs to iron out the mistakes. He is 28, was at fault for both goals. We are not Crystal palace, he needs to be consistent over 90 minutes.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Well the de gea save it was lindeloff who was marking him but smalling came across in a last ditch effort from behind so maybe that one doesnt count.

He gave away 2 fks in the air so surely that should count as an aerial dual lost.

Thought he played well. In the second half he played a couple good balls through midfield as well
If it’s a foul, then it’s no longer a ‘duel’, that’s why they aren’t registered as aerial duels.

Mourinho awarded him motm.
Interesting, in his post match comments?

MadMike

Every game he has some brainfarts. Good game overall, but needs to iron out the mistakes. He is 28, was at fault for both goals. We are not Crystal palace, he needs to be consistent over 90 minutes.
I can see how he's part responsible with Valencia for the 2nd, but I don't see how he's fault for the first :confused:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Equally to blame for not taking a yellow card is a bit of a stretch....
Players stand in the way of, or run in front of, quick free kicks all the time and get away with it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was ropey in the first half. Some good moments and some real sloppiness, though that was the case for the whole team. Much better 2nd half. Some monstrous headed clearances. Played some good forward balls too.

Ainu

A game of two halves (more or less) for him. After the second goal he improved, scored and did a lot of good defensive work. But the first part was not good. Not good at all. He makes far too many mistakes to ever be a reliable first-choice defender. He's cost us too many times already.

izec

I can see how he's part responsible with Valencia for the 2nd, but I don't see how he's fault for the first :confused:
Partially. I thought he left Benteke too much space, which Smalling does like to do at times, giving strikers too much space when they run at him and he goes back and back. Benteke then played it to Townsend and the rest is history.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Great goal to bring us back in it but why is he so prone to switching off?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
First goal Smalling has to lead him out wide, not open up the option to pass the ball in central or wide.

It's no coincidence that Smalling looks good when we sit deep and he can win headers
I beg to differ. Smalling had no cover because Valencia was late back, so if he don't hold up Benteke and try to "push him wide" he runs the risk of letting Benteke in the box on the outside. That's an unnecessary dangerous move. We have a lot of people central so it shouldn't be a problem, he should focus on holding him up and block any chance of firing of a shot from that angle, which he does.

I swear any defensive move he makes and people find a way to put some blame on him. Can't even give away a good few words after an important goal, its really weird. He wasn't alert for the second goal tho, and deserves some criticism for that. But in my view, I was pleased and impressed with his performance in the second half. He was actually leading by example, showed great heart and contributed not only with his goal but with his 'get it done' attitude. Looks an important part of the team again

MadMike

Partially. I thought he left Benteke too much space, which Smalling does like to do at times, giving strikers too much space when they run at him and he goes back and back. Benteke then played it to Townsend and the rest is history.
Not for me, sorry. Benteke did a diagonal run towards the corner of the box. Hard to get any tighter without risking the ball played behind you and looking like a fool. Entirely unrealistic to expect that they won't complete a pass at the edge of the box and putting that as a blame on the defender. If any mistake was made it was not picking up the runners. But it was an unfortunate goal over all.

Classical Mechanic

I watched some US version and Danny Higgingbottom put most of the blame on Smalling because he didn’t show Benteke down the line.

Bobski

It was similar position to that chance Morata had at OT, left hand side, isolated 1 v1 with little support for either player. In that situation Smalling went to ground thinking he could nip the ball away, today he stands up and tries to slow the break. Lindelof, Young and Pogba were far more at fault than Smalling for that imo, though he does take a share.

Need to see the second goal again, such a weird goal for this level.

Dyslexic Untied

He was great but still partly to blame for the second. As a defender there your first instinct should be to get home as soon as the whistle goes. Made up for it with the goal though, and was very good otherwise.

Web of Bissaka

Rubbish first half and early second half, but our other players perform worser than him.

Our best defender today, which doesn't say much actually.

Stop freckin relying on the linesman to help you defend sheesh.

Good Goal of redemption, and good passion late 2nd half.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He didn't show him on the inside. Unless our definition of showing vastly differs.
He pretty much showed him whatever instead of forcing benteke to go wide and on his weaker foot. Basically stood off him and let him do whatever he wanted.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
I beg to differ. Smalling had no cover because Valencia was late back, so if he don't hold up Benteke and try to "push him wide" he runs the risk of letting Benteke in the box on the outside. That's an unnecessary dangerous move. We have a lot of people central so it shouldn't be a problem, he should focus on holding him up and block any chance of firing of a shot from that angle, which he does.

I swear any defensive move he makes and people find a way to put some blame on him. Can't even give away a good few words after an important goal, its really weird. He wasn't alert for the second goal tho, and deserves some criticism for that. But in my view, I was pleased and impressed with his performance in the second half. He was actually leading by example, showed great heart and contributed not only with his goal but with his 'get it done' attitude. Looks an important part of the team again
As several else has pointed out, he needs to force Benteke out wide by opening up that side and blocking off any option to pass or go in central. Instead, he's left stranded where Benteke can either go wide or go central...opening up both sides is far more dangerous than forcing him out wide ...In the end he has all the time in the world to pick out the pass. It's no excuse in terms of what our midfielders are doing for not picking up Townsend, but it's difficult to understand why some think that Smallings defending is ok there.

Status
Not open for further replies.