Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Terrible defending when Morata hit the bar, but other than that he was good. That's what you get with Smalling - a generally decent to good game coupled with brainfecks that can cause you.
How is that terrible? It was an out of this world cross from Alonso that I thought "how is that even possible". Sometimes the cross is just that good, and the attacking play is just that good.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was not an out of this world cross. Smalling badly misjudged the cross and ended up wrong footed.
It was an impressive volley-cross, if it wasn't then Valencia would close him down and block it. The cross was hit with just the right amount of pace, dipped and landed right on Morata's foot, just between the goalkeeper and defensive-line. Anything other than a perfect cross and Smalling had his body there and clearly would have cleared it, either with his head or with his foot. Yeah, he could have been more lucky after the fact and got a foot on the ball, but you simply just can't call something like that a brainfart-moment.

Bobski

It was an amazing cross, the rarity of it being pulled off is telling. I initially thought it had come off Smalling to the bar so quickly did it happen.

manunited1919

It was an impressive volley-cross, if it wasn't then Valencia would close him down and block it. The cross was hit with just the right amount of pace, dipped and landed right on Morata's foot, just between the goalkeeper and defensive-line. Anything other than a perfect cross and Smalling had his body there and clearly would have cleared it, either with his head or with his foot. Yeah, he could have been more lucky after the fact and got a foot on the ball, but you simply just can't call something like that a brainfart-moment.
Now, had Smalling tried to stop the cross, it would have probably gone into our own goal, like Jones against Tottenham. Then they would be calling it a brain-diarrhea moment.
The whole move was incredible, and made possible because 2 Chelsea players were afforded space near the box, and they have great quality. At least Smalling was close enough to Morata that it made it uncomfortable for Morata, otherwise that was going in. The commentators on TV said it would have been candidate for goal of the season, had it gone in.

manunited1919

The state of the CAF. Smalling getting blamed for every goal attempt against us, and for when the team does not dominate or attack effectively. Yet there’s a thread “Fairplay to Lindelof, starting to look the part now”, praising Victor. I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with praising Lindelof, by the way. But it seems many posters here just can’t find a way to put down Smalling even though he has been our best defender by far.

Haters have already made up their minds, and believe they know more than the manager in terms of defending. They try to find brainfarts where there are none, as they need to justify to themselves the obstinate position they adopt.

Hephaestus

The state of the CAF. Smalling getting blamed for every goal attempt against us, and for when the team does not dominate or attack effectively. Yet there’s a thread “Fairplay to Lindelof, starting to look the part now”, praising Victor. I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with praising Lindelof, by the way. But it seems many posters here just can’t find a way to put down Smalling even though he has been our best defender by far.

Haters have already made up their minds, and believe they know more than the manager in terms of defending. They try to find brainfarts where there are none, as they need to justify to themselves the obstinate position they adopt.
I kind of agree but the obvious difference between the two is that Smalling is 28 and should be in his absolute prime. He gets too much stick but he deserves some of it, he seems to make too many mistakes considering he's our most experienced centre-back. I wouldn't look to get rid of him right now but if there's an upgrade available then I wouldn't object.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If we conceded the Lukaku and Lingard goals against us Smalling would have got the blame.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I just think people have short memories, it’s easier to remember bad games than it is to remember good ones from defenders.
Also not every defender is going to be able to stop every single goal - sometimes we have to applaud a great attacking play.

I agree he needs to play more confidently, when he’s as aggressive as he was yesterday he’s very difficult to get past.
It doesn’t help that he’s playing with either a new partner or set of fullbacks almost every game but Lindelof suits him better than Jones for sure.
It might be short memories, but I think it's frustrating that he has games and moments where his mistakes will cost us a goal, or his deficiencies on the ball contribute to us having poor games. It wouldn't be an issue if the mistakes were few and far between (for eg: De Gea getting beaten on his near post by Willian is the first mistake he's made in a long time).

He's at an age where you can't say "fair play he's progressing" because he's supposed to be one of the senior players in the team. There are different expectation levels for different players in the team and I think where his defenders and retractors disagree on is how Smalling should be judged.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It might be short memories, but I think it's frustrating that he has games and moments where his mistakes will cost us a goal, or his deficiencies on the ball contribute to us having poor games. It wouldn't be an issue if the mistakes were few and far between (for eg: De Gea getting beaten on his near post by Willian is the first mistake he's made in a long time).

He's at an age where you can't say "fair play he's progressing" because he's supposed to be one of the senior players in the team. There are different expectation levels for different players in the team and I think where his defenders and retractors disagree on is how Smalling should be judged.
I don’t have any problem with criticising him or anyone else if they are directly responsible for us conceding a goal.

However, keep that same energy for when he has a great game or is directly responsible for stopping a goal - that’s where the disconnect is, and why I mentioned short memories.

It’s easy to criticise him if he has a brain fart, I mean you’ve got people criticising him for not stopping chances that didn’t even lead to goals now.
But when he does something well, nobody says anything either - and I think that’s why this thread more than any other player performance thread is such a shambles.
There’s a few posters who only post in here when we concede a goal, and there’s a few posters in here who only post in here to counter those posts.

But there’s no neutral posts - and I think Smalling’s defenders, myself included, almost feel compelled to post because unless we have something positive to say about him, then nobody else will and his thread will just read like;
“Can’t believe he slipped and we conceded a shot on target ffs, get rid”
“He turns like a whale before he passes the ball, he’s shite”
“Good game, but he’s got such a girly voice, we need a real man like Vidic back”

I mean read the Lindelof thread, there’s a bunch of people praising him for signalling to the rest of the defence to keep their heads at the end of the match, and that’s great - yet throughout the Chelsea, Sevilla and Huddersfield match, Smalling was telling Lindelof where to stand at set pieces and communicating to the rest of the back 4 throughout - but nobody mentions it.
Smalling’s clearances have helped start counter attacks including ones that led to a couple of goals in our last 3 matches, plus that marauding run from out the back in the last few minutes against Chelsea was awesome - that’s what everyone wants from him right? Solid defensively and contributing towards our attacking play from the back.
If it was Lindelof who did it instead of him, then there would be threads praising him.

That’s what I mean, keep that same energy - if Bailly, or Rojo or Lindelof does something worthy of praise then praise them, if Smalling and Jones do the same then praise them too.

I don’t think there are different expectations as such that there are people who have given up on the likes of Smalling and Jones, and they find it hard to give them any kudos.
You see it in this thread quite commonly;
“Not a fan of Smalling, but he was quite good today - still need to improve on him though”

And that’s just the people who are honest enough to say their opinion, there will be many more who would rather not say anything at all than give a compliment to a player they don’t like.

Last edited:

A-man

It is in general like this for the CBs. If they play a perfect match and then make one mistake that either cost a goal, or nearly cost a goal, they will be rated poorly and remembered forever. People still talk about Lindelöf's poor clearance against Huddersfield. I have even seen two forum members claiming that this one mistake is the reason why United is behind City in the table. It is four months ago! I doubt that it would have been the case if the mistake was Lukaku missing an opportunity to score or if the mistake was Pogba missing an offensive key pass, which are mistakes that cost just the same: one goal. The thing is, when a team scores, it is very often because the CB was making a mistake or a poor judgement, or maybe I should say because the CB didn't act perfectly. That comes with the job.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is a very average defender but CB is not main priority at the moment. We need to strengthen the rear flanks and CM first. Unless we can get a top quality CB on cheap then Smalling should stay, Tuanzebe should be sent on loan and we should bring proper cover/competition for Shaw/Valencia + replacement for Fellaini (Kessie?) and Carrick (Jorginho?)

devips

I don’t have any problem with criticising him or anyone else if they are directly responsible for us conceding a goal.

However, keep that same energy for when he has a great game or is directly responsible for stopping a goal - that’s where the disconnect is, and why I mentioned short memories.

It’s easy to criticise him if he has a brain fart, I mean you’ve got people criticising him for not stopping chances that didn’t even lead to goals now.
But when he does something well, nobody says anything either - and I think that’s why this thread more than any other player performance thread is such a shambles.
There’s a few posters who only post in here when we concede a goal, and there’s a few posters in here who only post in here to counter those posts.

But there’s no neutral posts - and I think Smalling’s defenders, myself included, almost feel compelled to post because unless we have something positive to say about him, then nobody else will and his thread will just read like;
“Good game, but he’s got such a girly voice, we need a real man like Vidic back”

I mean read the Lindelof thread, there’s a bunch of people praising him for signalling to the rest of the defence to keep their heads at the end of the match, and that’s great - yet throughout the Chelsea, Sevilla and Huddersfield match, Smalling was telling Lindelof where to stand at set pieces and communicating to the rest of the back 4 throughout - but nobody mentions it.
Smalling’s clearances have helped start counter attacks including ones that led to a couple of goals in our last 3 matches, plus that marauding run from out the back in the last few minutes against Chelsea was awesome - that’s what everyone wants from him right? Solid defensively and contributing towards our attacking play from the back.
If it was Lindelof who did it instead of him, then there would be threads praising him.

That’s what I mean, keep that same energy - if Bailly, or Rojo or Lindelof does something worthy of praise then praise them, if Smalling and Jones do the same then praise them too.

I don’t think there are different expectations as such that there are people who have given up on the likes of Smalling and Jones, and they find it hard to give them any kudos.
“Not a fan of Smalling, but he was quite good today - still need to improve on him though”

And that’s just the people who are honest enough to say their opinion, there will be many more who would rather not say anything at all than give a compliment to a player they don’t like.
Nice post. Agree completely.

manunited1919

This.

Dr Baltar

I get that people want to be diplomatic and say that he should get praise when he has a good game as well as the grief when he has a bad one but the reality is that he is just a terrible player.
Dress it up however you like but he's constantly been a weak link in our team for the last 5 years. Sticks out like a sore thumb. If he's still here next year I'll be amazed.

Hitchez

I get that people want to be diplomatic and say that he should get praise when he has a good game as well as the grief when he has a bad one but the reality is that he is just a terrible player.
Dress it up however you like but he's constantly been a weak link in our team for the last 5 years. Sticks out like a sore thumb. If he's still here next year I'll be amazed.
Reality? It's completely illogical to call Smalling the weak link of the team when no premier league defense has conceded fewer goals over the last 4 years. And no that's not all down to DDG either. Smalling is quite clearly a very good defender albeit quite bad on the ball. Considering he's the only CB in the squad who's either not injured constantly and can actually defend, he should be the last in line when talking abut defenders leaving the club. Jones can defend but he's a walking injury. Rojo can neither stay fit nor defend. Baily may be the answer but he's been quite overrated so far. Potentially the best defender but not there yet.

Loublaze

ATLien
Was poor in the first half but majestic in the second! He even looked more comfortable than usual on the ball. Our highest scoring CB

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have no idea how people think we will cope with set pieces when he is not around. He was literally the only player who won every set piece jump tonight, it was ridiculous to watch. Even in opposition box he is the only one who is half dangerous on corners.

That was shit mistake for the goal though, but I don't think that should be allowed.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
It's a shame that Man Utd never managed to use Smalling's aerial ability in the opposition's box to a greater extent.

Bobski

....And their first goal
Nah, second goal was a joke but the first is mainly on Pogba/Young for lack of communication and awareness of Townsend. Perhaps could have kept Benteke wide but it was hardly an egregious error.

Improved a lot after the goal.

Bwuk

Poor tonight - although not just him, the whole back four were.

Took his goal well though.

DocRockter

Chris Smalling's game by numbers vs. Crystal Palace:

98 touches 76 (91%)
passes completed 13
clearances 10
aerial duels won 3 (100%)
tackles won 1
shot 1
goal 1

...Smalldini

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Poor for their second goal, but otherwise solid and very well taken goal.
Second goal was on Valencia stupidly leaving his man completely unmarked in acres of space. Smalling perhaps should have tried to get back faster instead of appealing for offside, but he was never going to make up that ground anyway.

It was the first goal Smalling perhaps should have done a bit better for. Should have forced Benteke out wide instead of allowing him to come back inside and get the pass away.

Second half he was fantastic though, comfortably the best player on the pitch IMO. Won absolutely everything in the air and almost everything on the ground, scored one and came close another one or two times to connecting in the opposition box.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Nah, second goal was a joke but the first is mainly on Pogba/Young for lack of communication and awareness of Townsend. Perhaps could have kept Benteke wide but it was hardly an egregious error.

Improved a lot after the goal.
First goal Smalling has to lead him out wide, not open up the option to pass the ball in central or wide.

It's no coincidence that Smalling looks good when we sit deep and he can win headers

Virror

Fantastic at heading the ball, if Fellaini does leave in the summer, he can take over that spot.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Second goal was on Valencia stupidly leaving his man completely unmarked in acres of space. Smalling perhaps should have tried to get back faster instead of appealing for offside, but he was never going to make up that ground anyway.

It was the first goal Smalling perhaps should have done a bit better for. Should have forced Benteke out wide instead of allowing him to come back inside and get the pass away.

Second half he was fantastic though, comfortably the best player on the pitch IMO. Won absolutely everything in the air and almost everything on the ground, scored one and came close another one or two times to connecting in the opposition box.

Smalling can't just stand in the middle of nowhere and hold his hands up complaining about a free kick when there's a Crystal Palace player running in behind..

It's hardly well done by Valencia either, it's shit by both of them

saivet

Should react quicker for the second goal, but I think Valencia has managed to avoid a lot of criticism, when imo, ultimately he was at fault for the 2nd goal.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I thought he was very good and kept having to cover for a weak defensive partner.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He's a beast in the air. Bear in mind he was up against Benteke and that Norweigan giant, he did very well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Chris Smalling's game by numbers vs. Crystal Palace:

98 touches 76 (91%)
passes completed 13
clearances 10
aerial duels won 3 (100%)
tackles won 1
shot 1
goal 1

...Smalldini
How?? Mo way. Benteke out jumped him twice( and those were chances for palace)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Smalling can't just stand in the middle of nowhere and hold his hands up complaining about a free kick when there's a Crystal Palace player running in behind..
A Crystal Palace player who was being covered by Valencia until he completely switched off. Smalling had no particular reason to think he had to come over to cover him as well.

He was definitely slow to turn around and come back properly which may have made a difference if the attacker had slowed down or if there had been a save from De Gea, but as it turned out he wouldn't have made a difference since that didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.