Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

He was solid as feck. Now watch Southgate leave him out this summer whilst benchwarming Chelsea captain Cahill is a starter.

Ekeke

So Chris Smalling made 6 tackles and 5 interceptions today.

Those numbers are completely out of place for a CB in our team. Even Vidic wasnt pinching the ball off forwards that much during games. And Smalling isnt usually one to make a lot of tackles himself, but he did today. Hopefully thats more confidence and aggression that he can take into the next matches to be that solid.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Mixed game. Poor start, strong finish. Happy with him today though as he did well in the end when needed. :smirk:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
DDG's saved our arse on plenty of occasions. He's been okay at times but far from remarkable and has had plenty of poor performances.
Even de Gea had many poor games this season. Smalling is easily our best and most reliable defender this season(apart from de Gea of course), yet he is getting most of the abuse.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Even de Gea had many poor games this season. Smalling is easily our best and most reliable defender this season(apart from de Gea of course), yet he is getting most of the abuse.
He's not getting 'abuse,' he's just receiving mild criticism. De Gea's had the odd error or two but he's one of the best GK's in the world and has bailed out our defence on a number of occasions.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's not getting 'abuse,' he's just receiving mild criticism.
Do you even read his threads? He is easily our most criticised players this season.

De Gea's had the odd error or two but he's one of the best GK's in the world and has bailed out our defence on a number of occasions.
No one is saying he isn't. Some of the best defenders in the world are prone to mistakes in every game, so I don't see why someone like Smalling in a team made of makeshift fullbacks, paired with different CB partner in every game should be free of mistakes.

Kag

Very good again, which he usually is.

We even conceded and won today which is nice. Usually (because we're shite at the other end) we concede a goal (fairly normal against a good team) and drop points. Today we conceded and actually scored two goals, which is why this thread is a little quieter than usual.

Had a very poor moment involving Morata, mind you.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Why get rid? Why wouldn't Mou play the better CBs, but instead making him the Captain?
Tbh very effing honest ( I've had a bottle and half of archers already) I don't rate our CBs. Lindeloff has plenty of potential, but if we want the league and the prestigious CL no ducking way are we doing it with the current lot.

Oh shit forgot I do rate Bailly.

Last edited:

marktan

He's our best pure defender, he's not great on the ball but I don't mind too much when he's paired with Lindelof/Bailly/Rojo who are better on the ball. It's like a budget version of Vidic / Rio.

RMD83

Very good performance today. I hope even his biggest critics on here would have to admit it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tbh very effing honest ( I've had a bottle and half of archers already) I don't rate our CBs. Lindeloff has plenty of potential, but if we want the league and the prestigious CL no ducking way are we doing it with the current lot.
Agreed 100%. We need better CBs if we want to be elite team again. But I don't understand about getting rid of Smalling. He's a definition of solid player, and would be a big asset as squad players. Other than City and Spurs (and maybe Liverpool), I think he'd slot in well with other teams in the league.

Let's say, if we put all of our CBs on the market, Bailly obviously would fetch good money. Who do you think the 2nd one that would be the most sought after? I bet it would be Smalling, over these other "better" CBs we have.

Last edited:

manunited1919

After Lindeloff made that mistake near the 76 minutes and Smalling took the ball off Pedro, he has perhaps saved our season.

izec

He was a monster in the second half, bar that comedy moment when he tried to tackle Hazard.

If only he could cut out the mistakes he has to a minimum

Bwuk

Much better in the second but two or three very poor moments in the first.

iluvoursolskjær

Agreed 100%. We need better CBs if we want to be elite team again. But I don't understand about getting rid of Smalling. He's a definition of solid player, and would be a big asset as squad players. Other than City and Spurs (and maybe Liverpool), I think he'd slot in well with other teams in the league.

Let's say, if we put all of our CBs on the market, Bailly obviously would fetch good money. Who do you think the 2nd one that would be the most sought after? I bet it would be Smalling, over these other "better" CBs we have.
Smalling and Jones are both capable of solid performances, but under pressure always have brain fart in them.

Our lack of a ball playing CBs is also a reason why our midfield starts so deep and we struggle to build in the early phase.

I'll put my hands up and say I don't watch enough footy outside of United to prescribe who should come in to replace them and give the qualities we need to have our players 20 yArds further up the pitch though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Smalling and Jones are both capable of solid performances, but under pressure always have brain fart in them.

Our lack of a ball playing CBs is also a reason why our midfield starts so deep and we struggle to build in the early phase.

I'll put my hands up and say I don't watch enough footy outside of United to prescribe who should come in to replace them and give the qualities we need to have our players 20 yArds further up the pitch though.
Our CBs are rarely give away possession, though. Just today's game, I lost count on how many times the fullbacks (especially Young), DDG, and midfield give away possession.

And also it's Mourinho. Do you think the team would be 20 yards up the pitch even if we had Baresi instead Smalling there?

arnie_ni

He was a monster in the second half, bar that comedy moment when he tried to tackle Hazard.

If only he could cut out the mistakes he has to a minimum
Thought he done well there. Made hazard check back to his weaker left foot where we had supporting defenders.

Maybe you mean the one on morata second half?

iluvoursolskjær

Our CBs are rarely give away possession, though. Just today's game, I lost count on how many times the fullbacks (especially Young), DDG, and midfield give away possession.

And also it's Mourinho. Do you think the team would be 20 yards up the pitch even if we had Baresi?
Giving the ball away is a poor metric. Just watch when our CBS have the ball, it's to the fullback who usually spray to the marked wide man or recycle back to the CBS. Our midfield then needs to drop back to get the ball and start off the move but by then we're so deep and marked it's difficult to manoeuvre. Carrick used to offset this but he is no more rip. And even when it's at midfield, we want Pogba further ahead meaning you want someone with good passing range and tempo control ability behind him anyways.

So that's 2 fundemntal issues we have at build up.

Ekeke

Giving the ball away is a poor metric. Just watch when our CBS have the ball, it's to the fullback who usually spray to the marked wide man or recycle back to the CBS. Our midfield then needs to drop back to get the ball and start off the move but by then we're so deep and marked it's difficult to manoeuvre. Carrick used to offset this but he's past it. And even when it's at midfield, we want Pogba further ahead meaning you want someone with good passing range and control skills behind him anyways.
But why is that on the CBs? The whole team plays in slow motion with risk free slow buildup. We could sign the best ball playing CB in the world, whoever that is, but he'd have the same lack of options from people making space for passes and runs, so he'd look just as bad as anyone else.

automaticflare

I still don’t trust him but last 2 games has been good.

As someone mentioned before both him and jones always look better paired with someone else.

I wonder why that is? Lindelof is still a little shaky but him and Smalling look solid as a unit.

Bailly and jones both like to be aggressor and get to the ball first which should make for carnage but didn’t when they played together.

What is it with Smalling and jones as a pair

iluvoursolskjær

But why is that on the CBs? The whole team plays in slow motion with risk free slow buildup. We could sign the best ball playing CB in the world, whoever that is, but he'd have the same lack of options from people making space for passes and runs, so he'd look just as bad as anyone else.
Sure there are other issues. But attack starts from defence end of the day.

Robbie Boy

The agendas in here are outrageous. I have no idea how some could possibly invest so much time into hating or loving Chris Smalling. I mean he's a decent enough player that's it. Was very good today.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
yeah. I don't know any CB in this world that could transform this team into free flowing attacking unit, starting 20 yards further up the pitch. Not that it would happen under Mourinho against big teams.

Ekeke

Sure there are other issues. But attack starts from defence end of the day.
No it would be the Goalkeeper if you're going to go that far back.

Paul Scholes, David Beckham and Ryan Giggs certainly didnt need a CB playing amazing passes to them to create moves and chances. Neither did Ronaldo.

Ekeke

Look at the players you just named. And be comparing plez.
What do you mean? We've paid huge amounts of money for players we must believe can be top players just like those I mentioned. But its somehow Chris Smalling's fault that they arent as good?

Status
Not open for further replies.