Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAME DIOUF 32

I used to really rate him but when he hits a bad run of form it's often a long one and he's really, really poor. He's had long enough now. Time to go.

Ban

This game is proof he's not good enough for us. We all know he's a good defender but an atrocious footballer and I don't think I've seen a team expose a player as much in this regard as Spurs did to Smalling.

At times he looked like he just came from a piss up. Nervous, clumsy and spreading fear through the team is what he's constantly up to in big games.

Get rid of him and his pussy voice.
I bet you sound like a proper macho man.

Jaybomb

Yes ive heard that one since 2013 and every transfer window since. Keep the dream alive!
Every window I think to myself “this is it. This is the window we get shot of Smalling, Jones and Young and finally buy some top class defenders!”

... and every window I’m disappointed.

haram

Yes ive heard that one since 2013 and every transfer window since. Keep the dream alive!
It’s not really a dream. We just need to keep upgrading the squad. He is far more replaceable than Bailly and Jones.

Ban

Do you even have to ask? Rojo is reckless nutjob! Are you going to forget his his recent stupid penalty giveaway against Watford? Lets not forget the two reds he should've got last season. He's worse than Jones in this respect
2 reds he should have had last season?
How long in the past you think you should go?

Loublaze

ATLien
And look what we’ve achieved by playing Smalling and Jones that much. We won 0 league titles and have finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 7th again! What an achievement!

David Luiz hasn’t been immature for about 4 seasons now. You’re living in the past. Luiz looked like twice the player Smalling and Jones ever did last season. He was a massive reason Chelsea won the league.

Can you honestly ever see Jones and Smalling having that influence? Never in a million years.
Yes our defense is the reason we haven't won jack shit in recent seasons, not bad manager hires. During this time our defense has consistently been among the top 3 (except for the Moyes season) best defences in the league with the most clean sheets. United and Spurs have conceded the least goals over the last four seasons and Smalling has played more than anyone else in that backline. It must be solely because of De Gea da God amirite?

Loublaze

ATLien
2 reds he should have had last season?
How long in the past you think you should go?
Well its a part of his game he hasn't stumped out. He did the same thing against Watford just two months ago. Again many thought he should've been given marching orders

Loublaze

ATLien
It’s not really a dream. We just need to keep upgrading the squad. He is far more replaceable than Bailly and Jones.
Its not hard to replace a player like Jones who's never even made it past 24 league games in a single season because of a poor fitness record. Its harder to replace a player like Smalling who's one of the most dominant CBs in the air in the top European leagues

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You said Rojo was a reckless nut job. So is Ramos. How does that mean they’re not good players?

Smalling has only played that much because of Bailly’s injury. As for why Rojo’s not playing... maybe Mourinho was too stupid to put trust into Beavis and Butthead. He’s not the first good player that’s been on the bench. But surely next week he will be back in the fold.

At least he won’t smash the ball past De Gea.
Rojo was good last season (probably our best central defender if we rate all of their performances over the season), but he's been poor this season since coming back from injury. Whether because he's still working his way back from the injury, or whether last season was somewhat of a freak performance for him, it's hard to tell.

Classical Mechanic

Its not hard to replace a player like Jones who's never even made it past 24 league games in a single season. Its harder to replace a player like Smalling who
s one of the most dominant centerbacks in the air in the top European leagues
Spurs isolated him as a weak link today, they let him have the ball in defence and closed off his out balls. It was painful to watch at times.

Jaybomb

Yes our defense is the reason we haven't won jack shit in recent seasons, not bad manager hires. During this time our defense has consistently been among the top 3 (except for the Moyes season) best defences in the league with the most clean sheets. United and Spurs have conceded the least goals over the last four seasons and Smalling has played more than anyone else in that backline. It must be solely because of De Gea da God amirite?
De Gea didn’t win 3 POTY’s in a row for nothing.

haram

Its not hard to replace a player like Jones who's never even made it past 24 league games in a single season because of a poor fitness record. Its harder to replace a player like Smalling who's one of the most dominant CBs in the air in the top European leagues
The idea is that Jones is the better player, but when he is not playing you have someone better than Smalling.

Loublaze

ATLien
De Gea didn’t win 3 POTY’s in a row for nothing.
He didn't win it for nothing indeed, but even so he didn't do it by himself. Smalling was voted player's player of the year in 15/16 and he played a staggering 55 games. Come back when Rojo does that and earns that ultimate respect from his teammates in a single season

tomaldinho1

Would love to see Tuanzebe start over him next game.

It's actually amazing how bad he is on the ball and is playing for one fo the biggest football clubs in the world.

Jaybomb

He didn't win it for nothing indeed, but even so he didn't do it by himself. Smalling was voted player's player of the year in 15/16 and he played a staggering 55 games. Come back when Rojo does that and earns that ultimate respect from his teammates in a single season

A glorified popularity contest. Blind masked Smalling’s weaknesses that season. And on top of all that, we finished 5th. Hardly something to brag about.

Baby Groot

How did United go from this CB paring of RIO - Vidic to Smalling - Jones?

btw Smalling on is own is poor player. Recall most wanting him sold over Evans.

Canagel

His ability on the ball is atrocious. Simply atrocious. You can actually see some of the players are fed up with him now. It affects the whole team because all the passing lanes are cut off due to this clown faffing around with the ball. Watching him turn like a tractor to pass the ball is painful.

iKeano

Shambles of a man. Can’t head, can’t pass in front of a player. Doesn’t want the ball, doesn’t know what to do with it when he has it. Passes players into trouble, puts De Gea under pressure.
Worse than Jones tonight. 0/10

Loublaze

ATLien
A glorified popularity contest. Blind masked Smalling’s weaknesses that season. And on top of all that, we finished 5th. Hardly something to brag about.
GTFO winning the praise of your teammates means even more than earning that some praise from fans or journos. Smalling was outstanding that season. We finished 5th but what does that have to do with the price of soap? Our defence was ace, and no it wasn't Blind masking anything, they complemented each other well. Blind had his superior ball playing and Smalling did the physical, actual defending stuff. Rojo won't have a season like that at OT

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Saved us from a hammering in the second half.

But the grass is always greener when you lose like that. A Spurs defender makes a run into an empty midfield with no collective press on him and people think thats amazing and something Smalling couldn't do? He does that when afforded space like that, especially in a 3 man defence. I mean, even Pogba (who's amazing on the ball, strong and good passer) didn't have time on the ball to do something useful with it, and people think a defender is the culprit for the whole thang, lazy. The press was collective, and our whole play and tactic was affected by it, on a very good day for Spurs. Smalling did his job.

I always see De Gea gets praised for stopping shots and "saving the day", why in the world isn't Smalling praised for blocking shots and winning headers from dangerous crosses? The way i see it, he does a lot of game-saving things every game but the majority doesn't mention it. Doesn't it matter for a defender to prevent goals?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From the highlights - he seemed to be at least somewhat competent while Jones was shocking.

Red_toad

Has a very good record against Kane. Seems a lot of defenders struggle with stopping him scoring. But yeah let's all focus on his negatives, as obviously it was all his fault. Lad cannot win with some fans on here, they're just on his case no matter the result.

izec

Would keep him as a squad player, he is good enough against teams not pressing us or when we need a body in there to hold on a win. But we definitely need to look at our CB situation in the summer and improve. I dont think i can survive another season with these set of CBs we have currently. All good in their own way but all have some clear weaknesses, except maybe Bailly

haram

Yeah the seasons under van gaal dont count for much either. The system made the defenders look better than what they actually were.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeah the seasons under van gaal dont count for much either. The system made the defenders look better than what they actually were.
This is like Liverpool and Arsenal fans saying their defenders are great but their systems let them down. Pure horseshit

haram

This is like Liverpool and Arsenal fans saying their defenders are great but their systems let them down. Pure horseshit
It’s not horseshit. Blind isn’t good enough at CB and he was first choice under Van Gaal. Under Mourinho Smaling is getting exposed and Jose is supposed to be a defensive manager as well.

Loublaze

ATLien
It’s not horseshit. Blind isn’t good enough at CB and he was first choice under Van Gaal. Under Mourinho Smaling is getting exposed and Jose is supposed to be a defensive manager as well.
Getting exposed under Mourinho? You do realize that United have the joint best defensive record in the league this season right? Smalling has played the most minutes at the back. Last season we had the second best defense but most clean sheets, and the season before that we had the joint best defense and the most clean sheets again. Smalling has featured in more clean sheets than any of our CBs in the last three seasons. Blind did well in that position but he's clearly not a Mourinho CB as he prefers tall defenders, not because he's not good enough. So how is Smalling being exposed under Mourinho?

haram

Getting exposed under Mourinho? You do realize that United have the joint best defensive record in the league this season right? Smalling has played the most minutes at the back. Last season we had the second best defense but most clean sheets, and the season before that we had the joint best defense and the most clean sheets again. Smalling has featured in more clean sheets than any of our CBs in the last three seasons. Blind did well in that position but he's clearly not a Mourinho CB as he prefers tall defenders, not because he's not good enough. So how is Smalling being exposed under Mourinho?
He is exposing himself as not being good enough to be a first choice starter at a club like ours. Mourinho plays Bailly & Jones when fit. Blind isn’t good enough at CB. You’re only saying that to protect what Smalling did under Van Gaal. Like I said, as the squad is being built Smalling will be gone within 2 years.

Loublaze

ATLien
He is exposing himself as not being good enough to be a first choice starter at a club like ours. Mourinho plays Bailly & Jones when fit. Blind isn’t good enough at CB. You’re only saying that to protect what Smalling did under Van Gaal. Like I said, as the squad is being built Smalling will be gone within 2 years.
First off, Blind is not primarily a CB so it comes as no surprise that Mourinho doesn't see him as one. Secondly, Mourinho played Jones and Bailly when both fit but if both can't stay fit long enough to play who cares? Smalling has played the most minutes out of our CBs and thats the only thing that matters. Rojo and Lindelof are below the perking order. Why aren't they getting more gametime? Mourinho clearly trusts Smalling.

haram

First off, Blind is not primarily a CB so it comes as no surprise that Mourinho doesn't see him as one. Secondly, Mourinho played Jones and Bailly when both fit but if both can't stay fit long enough to play who cares? Smalling has played the most minutes out of our CBs and thats the only thing that matters. Rojo and Lindelof are below the perking order. Why aren't they getting more gametime? Mourinho clearly trusts Smalling.
It doesn’t matter if Jones and Bailly are injured or not. That’s not my point. They are first choice. My point is when they are out Smalling is someone we need to upgrade on. Mourinho didn't sign Rojo either. Lindelof was bought in for specific qualities (ability to step into midfield against ultra defensive teams) and to play in a 3 at the back formation.

I didn’t say to get rid of him this summer. But the summer after we need to look to improve. This is how squad building goes.

Loublaze

ATLien
It doesn’t matter if Jones and Bailly are injured or not. That’s not my point. They are first choice. My point is when they are out Smalling is someone we need to upgrade on. Mourinho didn't sign Rojo either. Lindelof was bought in for specific qualities (ability to step into midfield against ultra defensive teams) and to play in a 3 at the back formation.

I didn’t say to get rid of him this summer. But the summer after we need to look to improve. This is how squad building goes.
Im sorry but if Mourinho didn't state this as his reason for signing him then its based on nothing but your opinion after looking at how he's fared and what type of games he's looked comfortable in. When Lindelof was signed many here were convinced it was the end of Jones and Smalling. Blind can easily fill a role like that and would probably be better at it. The fact is Lindelof has been an underwhelming signing so far. I doubt Mourinho spent 35M on him for the role you suggest. Jones and Bailly are first choice indeed, but Smalling is the one getting all the playtime so it doesn't matter. Smalling won the Europa league with United, playing the entire game partnering with Blind. Will history say well those two weren't first choice defenders? Will Bailly tell his grandkids he was first choice but missed the final through injury? The only thing that matters is who is there, and Smalling has been 'there' the most since Fergie's departure from the game

haram

Im sorry but if Mourinho didn't state this as his reason for signing him then its based on nothing but your opinion after looking at how he's fared and what type of games he's looked comfortable in. When Lindelof was signed many here were convinced it was the end of Jones and Smalling. Blind can easily fill a role like that and would probably be better at it. The fact is Lindelof has been an underwhelming signing so far. I doubt Mourinho spent 35M on him for the role you suggest. Jones and Bailly are first choice indeed, but Smalling is the one getting all the playtime so it doesn't matter. Smalling one the Europa league with United, playing the entire game partnering with Blind. Will history say well those two weren't first choice defenders? Will Bailly tell his grandkids he was first choice but missed the final through injury? The only thing that matters is who is there, and Smalling has been 'there' the most since Fergie's departure from the game
Yes Mourinho did say that was why Lindelof was purchased, you can google it.

It does matter Smalling is getting the play time because he is showing us that is where we can upgrade on in the future. Bailly and Jones are first choice. Smalling will eventually need to be upgraded as we need better back up. That’s how squad building goes.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yes Mourinho did say that was why Lindelof was purchased, you can google it.

It does matter Smalling is getting the play time because he is showing us that is where we can upgrade on in the future. Bailly and Jones are first choice. Smalling will eventually need to be upgraded as we need better back up. That’s how squad building goes.
Mourinho only said this after United beat Basel in the CL and it hasn't come to fruition. Lindelof hasn't played a single game in midfield. If anything it was a reevaluation after Lindelof's poor start to the season. I don't think Mourinho expected that. So no, it wasn't specifically given as a reason why he was purchased unless there's another interview I missed shortly after he signed or before the Basel post match interview. Jones has never managed more than 24 league games in a single season, if anyone has to be upgraded as a starter its him. Smalling's consistency is keeping him in the starting 11 much to the chagrin of his detractors.

haram

You ask for proof about Mourinho’s comments on Lindelof and then come up with garbage to dismiss it when it’s true. No one said he was going to play in midfield. Stepping into midfield is different. Here’s another article talking about Lindelof having a ‘specific position’.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sk...ive-victor-lindelof-time-at-manchester-united

Smalling is in the team because Bailly is injured. When everyone is fit Jones and Bailly are first choice and are our best CB’s. As time goes on we need to upgrade on Smalling.

Thomasvo

Shocking. Same as Jones. They're just not good enough for us. I can see Smalling and/or Jones ending up at Everton in a few years, which is probably their level.

Status
Not open for further replies.