Chris Smalling - does he start at any other top 6 team?

sam147

So many people fail to see there is more to being a CB then winning a header. A CB should be able to organise and communicate, pass the ball, make himself available for the pass, anticipate runs and be good at ground duels. Smalling wins headers. He completely lacks organisation skills, it is plain as day he hides from receiving the ball when in possesion and looks very uncomfortable on the ball. He didn't come through an academy so what do people expect. He relies on his physical attributes to bail him out but he is ageing and even then he is always pulling shirts. He leaned out last summer to try and keep some pace by the looks of it but next season he will be a worse liability with VAR. If he is our starting CB next season then we can forget challenging for the league.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He will be fine, even with VAR. Ramos is doing fine with VAR in La Liga.

His weakness on the ball is that, a weakness, but he is a fine defender. I see no reason why he and Lindelof can't be the starting partnership of a title winning side.

cyril C

He would not. City would concede more goals with Smalling in the main 11.

We need to dispense of the notion that City can get away with playing useless defenders in their back line because they keep so much possession.
A defence is about a lot more than the individual players in it. Spurs and City have a group of defenders that work with their style of play. Smalling would not fit in.

Besides, we have conceded (far) more than the rest of the top 6 bar Arsenal so what does it say about our defenders?
How many have we conceded AFTER Ole in the job?

cyril C

Talking about City defence, just remind me of Utamendi. I still recall how Rashford humiliated Utamendi 3-4 years ago. Utamendi is slow and getting slower every day, but his composure with the ball is very good. Which means Utamendi is preferred in the City system, you guys would be jumping through the roof if he plays for Utd.

Smalling may not be our #1 choice CB, but is definitely needed as #3, particularly against bottom clubs with aerial threat and we don't need to demand so much from the CB. I read similar argument on DDG, who would be benched in City or Barca simply because he doesn't know how to kick the ball.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Good question, I think there is an Ole specific table floating around somewhere, I would imagine we are doing very good.

But if you put Smalling in City's high line, where every pass the defense makes is a high chance opportunity for the opposition to score... They would concede more. The only way it works is if City play deep, and relinquish the need to use possession of the ball to hurt the opposition... And at that point, you might as well let Pep go.

Loublaze

ATLien
It is a very complicated way to say that he is not as good as Lindelof, to be fair.

Lindelof actually has better 'defensive' stats than Smalling anyway this season. And well, a defender is not there only to defend, he should be a player first and foremost. It is the reason why Ramos will be considered as one of the greatest defenders ever, and the reason why Smalling doesn't play for England, and plays for United only after other defenders prove again to be shit.
Actually Smalling has the best defensive stats this season according to Squawka and Whoscored.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
particularly against bottom clubs with aerial threat
You see so many different views and arguments to explain why Smalling is not good enough. Fact is, in a game of football there isn't many games you couldn't find good use of a great defender.

You say bottom teams offer aerial threat so he needs to play those games, other say those are the games he shouldn't play because we'll have a lot of the ball and they think having him in the side will only be a weakness to our play, while disregarding your point about keeping tight against a conservative team ready to take advantage of soft CB's.

Some say he should only play the big games when we need a solid defender and might defend deeper in our box, while others say in those games he shouldn't play because you need our defenders to pass their way out of pressure.

Truth is despite not bringing anything in terms of creativity, and playmaking from the back, Smalling is a very well rounded defender with many great qualities that has proved valuable in different situations, for different managers with totally different tactics.

Under Ole, his tactic is always pragmatic and attacking. We try to keep possession in patches, attack in patches, defend deep in patches. Our build up changes from slowly building from the back, to very quick and direct. Through the middle and even move upfield in the wide areas. We play with a high line in certain moments of the game and in other parts maybe not. We are very unpredictable. Guess what, seems like Ole too found a use of Smalling which has worked very well for our team.
I do wonder how a grown man in all seriousness can try to dispute all this with one simple answer similar to "VAR will make him show how a terrible defender he always was, can't pass"
I don't believe in all these preexisting opinions and dumbing down of a few of a players attributes and qualities to define them and put them in stupid ass box. At least show some consistency or sign of thought behind your opinions. For instance... Should Smalling only play against top teams, or bottom teams, why?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would start him at Chelsea. They were a better team under Conte and he'd play in that Chelsea team for me. That Sarri is more rigid is a personal preference.

So, Chelsea and Arsenal. Maybe even spurs depending on form. I think Spurs CBs aren't as dominant as Smalling.

But yeah, in the modern game /systems you tend to have to be good on the ball. Smalling would start over many of the starting CBs in terms of pure ability but suffers a little due to the evolution of tactics.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not purely about who's better defensively. The managers of those teams also emphasise ball playing with their CBs so it's a bit tricky to know. If I'm being honest I don't see Sarri, Emery, Klopp or Pep interested in Smalling if they had a choice
That’s what they said when LVG took in charge.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Good question, I think there is an Ole specific table floating around somewhere, I would imagine we are doing very good.

But if you put Smalling in City's high line, where every pass the defense makes is a high chance opportunity for the opposition to score... They would concede more. The only way it works is if City play deep, and relinquish the need to use possession of the ball to hurt the opposition... And at that point, you might as well let Pep go.
We have conceded 9 over that same time period Liverpool have conceded only 8 and City have conceded 10.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He always struggle when the ball is played behind him. He's fast but turns like a titanic.

cyril C

I never said Smalling will settle at City. In fact, even DDG would be benched in City because of poor passing. But Smalling would start in Arsenal and Spur, and possibly #3 at Chelsea or Liverpool, so what is wrong with him being #3 at Utd?

youngrell

Smalling's ability (or lack of) on the ball is way overstated.

He looks clumsy and awkward while making a pass but there's actually nothing wrong with his passing, he's pretty accurate and plays some very nice fast passes along the floor.

It's the same as his running. Looks clumsy and awkward but nothing wrong with it.

He's just a gangly bloke.

Ekeke

I disagree. Smalling would do the same as at United, or slightly better on the ball because Guardiola would coach him to be more confident with the ball. He wouldnt suddenly be as good as their best CBs on the ball, but he'd be fine. He'd either have the confidence to try slightly harder passes or he'd continue with the safe team passing and not give the ball away. It wouldnt be dangerous for City either way. But the 2nd option wouldnt be as good for their attacking play

Ekeke

So many people fail to see there is more to being a CB then winning a header. A CB should be able to organise and communicate, pass the ball, make himself available for the pass, anticipate runs and be good at ground duels. Smalling wins headers. He completely lacks organisation skills, it is plain as day he hides from receiving the ball when in possesion and looks very uncomfortable on the ball. He didn't come through an academy so what do people expect. He relies on his physical attributes to bail him out but he is ageing and even then he is always pulling shirts. He leaned out last summer to try and keep some pace by the looks of it but next season he will be a worse liability with VAR. If he is our starting CB next season then we can forget challenging for the league.
He's our best organizer and positional player in the defense. That includes De Gea. Smalling is the one who has constantly filled in for other players out of position over the years, particularly right backs who have gone missing.

Ekeke

He always struggle when the ball is played behind him. He's fast but turns like a titanic.
Can you give me 2 examples of balls played in behind Smalling where he's turned slowly and we've conceded a goal? I'm not saying its never happened but I doubt you can find 2 examples of that within the last 2 seasons. Which would mean he has less of a problem with it than most CBs

Revan

Assumptionman
I never said Smalling will settle at City. In fact, even DDG would be benched in City because of poor passing. But Smalling would start in Arsenal and Spur, and possibly #3 at Chelsea or Liverpool, so what is wrong with him being #3 at Utd?
No chance he starts ahead of Vertonghen and Alder. Nothing wrong with him being a backup here, but he shouldn't be a starter. Unfortunately, our 3 other CBs are half of the time injured, and in the remaining time crap.

No chance De Gea doesn't start for City. He was actually decent in the ball under LVG and the keeper being able to pass well is important, but not as important as it is for the players.

Ekeke

No chance he starts ahead of Vertonghen and Alder. Nothing wrong with him being a backup here, but he shouldn't be a starter. Unfortunately, our 3 other CBs are half of the time injured, and in the remaining time crap.
Sanchez starts more games at CB than Verthongen this season. Smalling is better at the reason why Sanchez starts - headers.

Mainoldo

Still the best English CB and has been for the past 4 years. Was a wall under LVG even though having the odd brain fart moments.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sanchez starts more games at CB than Verthongen this season. Smalling is better at the reason why Sanchez starts - headers.
Yeah, if Vertonghen plays in left, he would start. I think that Mike is better than Sanchez.

Revan

Assumptionman
Andy Cole better than Teddy Sheringham?
Neither of them was England's best player in their position (as you claimed about Smalling).

Also, England just had the best tournament in 3 decades, so maybe the manager knows what he is doing.

Conceded 9 in the league since Ole started.

6 of those in the 9 games without Smalling.

3 in the 4 since he returned.

It's the same every season. People can post all the tackling stats they like, we concede more with him in the team than without him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's the same every season. People can post all the tackling stats they like, we concede more with him in the team than without him.
Yeah wonder goal from Valery and goal from free kick is on Smalling or because Smalling is in defense.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can you give me 2 examples of balls played in behind Smalling where he's turned slowly and we've conceded a goal? I'm not saying its never happened but I doubt you can find 2 examples of that within the last 2 seasons. Which would mean he has less of a problem with it than most CBs
Yeah I can't think of any where it led into a goal. But still, it gave the opponent a chance to cross or dribble inside the box. I think He's a good defender though, better than average at least.

Yeah wonder goal from Valery and goal from free kick is on Smalling or because Smalling is in defense.
You can always find a one off but when its that way season after season.

The Valery goal happened because we were sitting too far off them, which is on the deepest defender. Guess who.

Moiraine

This is a very strange question. He has been pivotal part of a defense which has been one of the top 2 in the league for past 4-5 years.
Check the stats and then post such insulting thread to a United Player. Don’t take him for granted... he is better than many so-called “world class” defenders in the league.

roonster09

Scout
You can always find a one off but when its that way season after season.
What season? When he plays vs stronger teams and miss few games vs shit teams, record is better without him, those kind of records?

What season? When he plays vs stronger teams and miss few games vs shit teams, record is better without him, those kind of records?
Every season. It's been posted before or you can look it up yourself if you can be bothered. He's a decent backup but we can't be building a defence around him if we want to get back to winning ways, it's that simple.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

This has to be a joke right? We've kept clean sheets against Liverpool and Chelsea away since Smalling has been back.

In the league we've conceded against Palace, were Young was a fault for not clearing the ball and two wonder goals against Southampton.

Anyone with eyes can see we've been much more secure since he has returned but people still spew this rubbish. The agendas amaze me.

roonster09

Scout
Every season. It's been posted before or you can look it up yourself if you can be bothered. He's a decent backup but we can't be building a defence around him if we want to get back to winning ways, it's that simple.
yeah without context like which teams he played against or which games he missed.

roonster09

Scout
This has to be a joke right? We've kept clean sheets against Liverpool and Chelsea away since Smalling has been back.

In the league we've conceded against Palace, were Young was a fault for not clearing the ball and two wonder goals against Southampton.

Anyone with eyes can see we've been much more secure since he has returned but people still spew this rubbish. The agendas amaze me.
Exactly, and also it's not a clean sheet like vs Spurs where keeper was tested so many times. Against Liverpool and Chelsea keeper barely made a save.